Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Well, Sonic Frontiers IS trying something new gameplay wise, but it is technically not doing that much new stuff with the level design. Speaking of reused assets, not to defend Sonic Team, but Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary are basically staples at this point. I have seen some other series like Mario and maybe a few other Nintendo games (maybe) reuse some old stuff level wise. May not exactly be using old assets like Sonic Team is doing, and I get that some people would be upset about this nonetheless, but I think it is not uncommon to reuse things in video games. Also, since they are staples of the Sonic franchise, I must say; if this were any other level that were perhaps newer and not iconic to the series, it would not be reused by Sonic Team at all.

Again, not trying to defend Sonic Team, I am just saying. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that this is Sonic's anniversary game? That may not be a factor, but it would seem that reusing things in Sonic anniversary games may be becoming close to tradition, or done regularly.

By itself, the concept of a character searching throughout his memories by visiting data constructs of past locations and moments sounds like a fine idea in telling a story through gameplay. That's basically the main aspect of KH Chain of Memories, next to cards. 

Unfortunately in Sonic's case, the potential is instantly undermined no thanks to constant usage of past levels throughout the last decade, and this time it hasn't even the benefit of tying into an anniversary, even if they were late the last time. Asset reuse deepens the sting, cause while Kingdom Hearts could get away with reusing PS2 level assets for another PS2 game (KH1 > KH:RCOM)  or for the PSP or DS, Frontiers is being made for console which are two, I repeat, two console generations made after the release of-  ...erm, Generations. Of course the last GHZ looked worst than Gens', so this may sadly be the lesser of the two evils.

For now the best we could hope for is we could least get locations never revisited before, including beyond the Genesis era, and maybe outright original cyber stages that take the majority of the levels. If there are truely around 28 cyberspace levels, let them be spent wisely. There's a part of me that wonders if Green Hill and Sky Santuary are part of the same level which dynamically transforms midway through, but it aren't sipping that copium before before the bleaker beverage.

• Thumbs Up 6

25 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

For now the best we could hope for is we could least get locations never revisited before

I think the idea is cute and cool, but it would've been ever better if it wasn't basically what Generations and Mania did... Indeed the best we can hope is a different level design for the already already revisited levels and DREAM of brand new ones that didn't got their time to shine in the games prior. Gimme 3D Stardust Speedway (complete), Hidrocity, gimme Twinkle Park, Lost World, anything but just Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary again 😕

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Jango said:

I think the idea is cute and cool, but it would've been ever better if it wasn't basically what Generations and Mania did... Indeed the best we can hope is a different level design for the already already revisited levels and DREAM of brand new ones that didn't got their time to shine in the games prior. Gimme 3D Stardust Speedway (complete), Hidrocity, gimme Twinkle Park, Lost World, anything but just Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary again 😕

Don't you mean Hydrocity?

Anyways, I'd like Ice Cap, even with the beta, and non-Michael Jackson music.

4 hours ago, light-gaia said:

The rumor about reused assets is from a non-reliable source (Zippo). Before Sonic Frontiers was released, he said the next 3D Sonic game would be another Adventure-style. We know that this is not true, so we can't trust him anymore.

It's definitely true that Sonic Frontiers reused assets, but all the cyberspace levels being from Sonic Generations might not be the case. Reusing old levels is an issue nonetheless.

Well, I think it's better to expect disappointment. After all this time, the game that's supposed to be the future of the franchise being composed of reused, saturated old levels is really bad. This alone would make me less excited for Frontiers.

Even Sonic Stadium leaned into the rumor after seeing footage from Summer Games Fest. I think we're on the right track, at least...

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think the idea is cute and cool, but it would've been ever better if it wasn't basically what Generations and Mania did... 

Actually, the whole regaining your memories plot should've been what Generations' story was; well, asides from giving it an actual story

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

25 minutes ago, Jango said:

They could reuse old locations, but looking like they changed throughout the years. For example, they could reuse Sky Sanctuary but without the Death Egg in the background. Like it's modern day Sky Sanctuary.

The problem is that they reuse past levels, but always the same old levels, and they don't change them enough. Green Hill with sand was really boring.

Originally, Sonic Forces Green Hill would look like that:

2008782745_ndice.jpeg.5e3b5655883554a803a3d80f766ce23c.jpeg

This is an official concept art from the game. I don't know why they scrapped this idea. It would be so interesting.

I think it's cool to have familiar locations because it games the Sonic's universe a better sense of world building. However, they could reuse them in a more creative way...

Edited by light-gaia
Grammar checking
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's almost like they didn't hit on the idea of recontextualizing old levels until long after Generations was released and are now stuck trying to win the last war.

See you guys on the Partners Showcase...and see if Persona 3 to 5 come to it. 🤫

(Update: I'm joking. Given the timing, info on the Cyberspace levels is possible). 

Edited by Zoomzeta
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, you guys think any other information is going to be revealed other than the cyberspace levels when the embargo lifts, if small?

I'm willing to wait a bit before I get worked up any more over the returning levels. If the 28 cyberspace levels has any truth to it, (which looks legit considering what we know about the gameflow) then that is quite a bit of real estate to cover a ton of tropes. Even if you rehashed both GHZ and SSZ - you could devote three levels to those tropes apiece and still have 7 more tropes to play with. That number goes up even higher if you have less than three levels per trope.

There is wiggle room built in too - at the very least - get some fresh blood in there. Or barring that, re-do a level we haven't seen in the last 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, I just thought of something. Remember that steve aoki live stream we had 6 months ago that we all just dismissed? Looks like the returning cyberspace staged might've been right under our noses all along and just a thought but, I'm sure their going to look closer to this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a leak about a  speed highway looking stage in the game and it also shows up here. 

Well besides me thinking those generally looking bad, I don't think there's really much to go off of here. Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary...we're used to all those by this point. The leak that claimed a speed highway-like stage was the demon slayer leak, the same that claimed that "spring valley" was a green hill-like stage, but what's in that video just is green hill, so...? Eh no, I don't think it's related.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think you're reaching higher than anyone who thinks Sonic Mania 2 is gonna happen, honestly.

[Pain]

• Thumbs Up 1

The leak said that it was like Speed Highway at sunset (in reality, probably At Dusk). That is Speed Highway at night. ...or just... Speed Highway.

Granted, there is a Sky Sanctuary at night in the same video.

Of course, it's entirely possible they just reused Generations assets and it has nothing to do with the actual game. It would be utterly bizarre to tease a specific set of levels in Frontiers in a fucking Steve Aoki video lol.

They've been using Generations-styled assets for the longest. Which wouldn't be too surprising for Frontiers itself. But it doesn't really mean much right now.

Edited by NoKaine
  • Thumbs Up 7

Eh, guess it was pretty far-fetched. Never mind then.

• Thumbs Up 2

If we're going trough the same zone themes 4 times, it's possible the time changes everytime you get a new cyberspace level for it.
Depends on whether you think we get 28 completely unique cyberspace stages or just 4 times the same 7 zones.
My money's on the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Typically, when Sonic Team have multiple levels with the same theme like that, it's either because the levels themselves are cut up from bigger levels (like in Colors and Forces) or meant for multiple characters (Generations and also Forces). And even Forces had original themes (as did Mania, and that was a game specifically advertised to be a throwback). Lost World is a wild card because that game had strongly defined themes like "desert" but then the second stage in the "desert" world was a candy theme.

I do doubt that each cyberspace stage will be 100% unique from each other, but it's also possible that it's not 28 stages at all. There are incredibly little information about what the entire game is like, even though we pretty much already know what the whole first island is before we even saw in-game footage.

I would also like to mention that the cyberspace levels do not themselves unlock the Chaos Emeralds. Completing the cyberspace levels gives you Vault Keys that when enough are collected unlock the Chaos Emeralds.

However, you get a Vault Key for completing individual goals in the level like beating the level fast enough or getting all the Red Rings, according to IGN. It's kind of like the Sun and Moon Medals in the SD version of Unleashed.

So there's no real indication of the level-to-island ratio. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well... them Cyberspace levels then! (You can skip ahead in the Nintendo direct as the presentation isn't live). 

It looks like we are getting some crazy looking levels here - aesthetics of green hill and speed highway(?) where shown off and so forth with open air cyber highway looking backgrounds. Super sweet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OKAY GOOD THERE'S ORIGINAL CYBERSPACE LEVELS

That one looked really cool, actually.

And yeah, that stage was Green Hill. Eh. But there's new themes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait so it was a human kid! Interesting. Other than that this looks cool to me!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like about on par with forces boost levels which isn’t a compliment, lots of flat terrain, blocky etc but at least there’s no 2D so far I guess?

3 minutes ago, TurboLightning2 said:

Wait so it was a human kid! Interesting. Other than that this looks cool to me!

Wait, where'd you see a human kid?