Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Legitimately the only problem with Big's scenario in Adventure is that it is required to complete the game. 

No, it's awkward and clunky. You can't look around when the lure's out, and it never moves in the direction you push on the stick. As an adult I understand how it works way better than I did as a kid, but it's still not really fun or polished.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

14 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

No, it's awkward and clunky. You can't look around when the lure's out, and it never moves in the direction you push on the stick. As an adult I understand how it works way better than I did as a kid, but it's still not really fun or polished.

Well shit lmao. Nostalgia really is overpowering.

I actually think it would be cool if Big was in the levels. Throwback to his cameos in SA2/Secret Rings but now you interact with him I guess.

The possible issue I see with it is Sonic builds the portals to enter the levels in the first place, but I guess you could have Big show up on repeated playthroughs or something. If you ask me it would be great if it wasn't explained at all tho since it would be funny (and in the spirit of the aforementioned cameos).

Given the leaks that suggested Tails, Knuckles and Shadow all potentially being playable as well, I'm leaning in on believing that even if it is just for the fishing mini-game, Big is playable in some capacity.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Given the leaks that suggested Tails, Knuckles and Shadow all potentially being playable as well, I'm leaning in on believing that even if it is just for the fishing mini-game, Big is playable in some capacity.

Where can I see the leak?

2 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Where can I see the leak?

I haven't really been keeping track of leak locations, but I do recall it being from one of the more accurate leaks so far.

Further support of the theory that the Cyberspace levels will be shown at the rumored Nintendo Direct on the 29th. It's now reported the Direct will be focusing on 3rd parties like the one when SMT5 was announced

5 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

Further support of the theory that the Cyberspace levels will be shown at the rumored Nintendo Direct on the 29th. It's now reported the Direct will be focusing on 3rd parties like the one when SMT5 was announced

You mean like a Partners' Showcase? I have heard this rumor before.

Remember when they first showed off out of the blue five seconds of Green Hill for the fans to slaughter back in April '17? Get ready for history to repeat-- with just those five seconds this time around

3 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Remember when they first showed off out of the blue five seconds of Green Hill for the fans to slaughter back in April '17? Get ready for history to repeat-- with just those five seconds this time around

Not to rain on a possible joke, but I don't think five seconds would be enough for showing the cyberspace levels, especially since they have shown more information on Sonic Frontiers within this month. I don't think that after showing such information on anything else, they would just show five seconds of the cyberspace levels with not so much info. Just saying.

Five seconds aren't a literal set amount of time, but in general should Frontiers appear in the direct, I expect the length of its segment to be about as short as most of the other Sonic trailers this month that weren't extended gameplay looks. Especially in the the added event this is a mini direct, mean not much time would be allowed for any of the featured games.

Even if this is a new part of the game getting officially announced, there's the chance it may play more or like how the Generations levels were; maybe less 2D and more combat, but not much more I can think of then. So unless what the rumors say is true and there's more to these levels than just rehashing Gens assets, or (and this is an important or) they're not the only new element to get announced there, why go into much further detail on what we're already familiar with, by itself? 

Regardless, the lift for the review embargo on cyberspace levels does indeed line up with the speculated Direct date, so whatever curiosities or doubts we have, we likely won't have long to find out for ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Five seconds aren't a literal set amount of time, but in general should Frontiers appear in the direct, I expect the length of its segment to be about as short as most of the other Sonic trailers this month that weren't extended gameplay looks. Especially in the the added event this is a mini direct, mean not much time would be allowed for any of the featured games.

Even if this is a new part of the game getting officially announced, there's the chance it may play more or like how the Generations levels were; maybe less 2D and more combat, but not much more I can think of then. So unless what the rumors say is true and there's more to these levels than just rehashing Gens assets, or (and this is an important or) they're not the only new element to get announced there, why go into much further detail on what we're already familiar with, by itself? 

Regardless, the lift for the review embargo on cyberspace levels does indeed line up with the speculated Direct date, so whatever curiosities or doubts we have, we likely won't have long to find out for ourselves.

Well, that is to say; while I don't think it will be five seconds short, I would be lying if I said the Frontiers part of the Direct would not be short. I am wondering though how long, er...short it will be.

I would be fine with more combat though. It wouldn't bother me at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, Shaddy Zaphod said:

You know, your post makes me think a bit about what a strange approach that was to fishing gameplay.  Fishing in real-life relies heavily on luck, the fish have to come to your lure, the water is almost never clear enough to see them, and while there's a great deal of strategy involved in knowing where to cast out to maximize success, it really isn't possible to aim and cast at a specific individual creature to catch it.  Many games that have fishing as a mechanic, such as the Zelda and Pokemon series, follow that reality more closely, so while fishing in those games isn't necessarily "fun", it also doesn't incorporate so many finessed mechanics as to get frustratingly difficult.  But Big's gameplay in SA inverts almost everything about it.  You have almost perfect visibility through crystal-clear water but you're also burdened with a demand to catch a specific creature, so from the start it's less like real fishing and more like shooting, except much slower and without an immediate hit.  Then when the lure is in the water, it remains quite unlike real fishing because your perspective is unrealistically shifted near to the lure, and theoretically that was done to streamline the gameplay but because the camera is so bad, it arguably just makes it worse than if they just let you keep seeing what Big could normally see.  Arguably the only time this starts to resemble real fishing is when you get a bite and need to land and reel it.

I actually am curious to know in what order they conceived of this all.  At what point did they decide that a character should not only go fishing, but fishing for one specific frog who functioned as a macguffin?  Because the moment they crossed the line with that unrealistic expectation, they gave themself the challenge of designing a gameplay style almost from scratch and arbitrarily.  No surprise it doesn't work well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope the embargo lifted on Wednesday does not mean we are just getting previews from people who played the game at Summer Games Fest, I mean, I want actual, official footage, maybe even a trailer.

There's just going to be a lot of salty rage from the people who didn't know or refused to acknowledge the rumors about the reused assets.

But all will be laid bare on the 29th and there will be meltdowns...

• Thumbs Up 4

I, at least, don’t mind. But I am only one.

Plot twist, we discover the embargo was also on Sonic Team’s marketing of the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Zadent said:

I, at least, don’t mind. But I am only one.

Plot twist, we discover the embargo was also on Sonic Team’s marketing of the game. 

Neither am I. I am actually excited to see the levels in action.

So, I guess that makes two?

17 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

There's just going to be a lot of salty rage from the people who didn't know or refused to acknowledge the rumors about the reused assets.

The rumor about reused assets is from a non-reliable source (Zippo). Before Sonic Frontiers was released, he said the next 3D Sonic game would be another Adventure-style. We know that this is not true, so we can't trust him anymore.

It's definitely true that Sonic Frontiers reused assets, but all the cyberspace levels being from Sonic Generations might not be the case. Reusing old levels is an issue nonetheless.

Well, I think it's better to expect disappointment. After all this time, the game that's supposed to be the future of the franchise being composed of reused, saturated old levels is really bad. This alone would make me less excited for Frontiers.

50 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

Nah, they'll just say it doesn't matter. Reusing assets is always good! There's no nuance to it. In fact, expecting new level themes is actually kinda selfish. How dare we.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Nah, they'll just say it doesn't matter. Reusing assets is always good! There's no nuance to it. In fact, expecting new level themes is actually kinda selfish. How dare we.

As needlessly hyperbolic as that came off as, no one's really been going on a method of thought that extreme.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna make a prediction that we'll get exactly no new footage or screenshots on Wednesday, instead only getting text and maybe voiced opinions and details.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Looking at all the Green Hill apologists, that's exactly what's gonna happen 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

As needlessly hyperbolic as that came off as, no one's really been going on a method of thought that extreme.

It is hyperbolic, yeah. I get that reusing assets is normal and Sonic isn't a stranger to it or reusing level themes, but it almost feels like people are saying that wanting new things is unreasonable. Like.. I don't know far it goes. Would it be okay if Frontiers' stages were just completely unchanged from Generations? Just the whole stages ported over entirely.

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

It is hyperbolic, yeah. I get that reusing assets is normal and Sonic isn't a stranger to it or reusing level themes, but it almost feels like people are saying that wanting new things is unreasonable. Like.. I don't know far it goes. Would it okay if Frontiers' stages were just completely unchanged from Generations? Just the whole stages ported over entirely.

It's more a case of recognizing that they're not just going to copy and paste all that stuff unchanged from Generations, especially since we've already seen snippets of the footage that show a change in level design.

Now, it's alright to be disappointed with such, but well, given how little we actually do know legit at the moment,  evidently,  most folk aren't to the point of singing gloom and doom.