Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

I'm really not sure why people are denying leaks over something as trivial in a game like this as the Spin Dash, the game has a whole plethora of moves you can apparently unlock, combat or otherwise. I think one of the leaks said that the boost was used for drifting? That kind of reminds me about the Generations drift.

A Spin Dash in this game is hardly an impossibility.

Other playable characters on the other hand.... unless It's Shadow (basically a Sonic reskin), hard doubt

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s more so about them explaining what their experience was playing the game.

Everyone who’s played it has played the same kind of experience where they’re thrown into the starting area and have to figure out where to go from there. In everyone’s recollection, there is a boost (in both the main and cyberspace maps), and one outlet in particular explicitly said there’s no roll move in what they played.

There’s no good reason a build being beta-tested just a month or two before the public reveal (also starting from the beginning of the game, reminder) would feature a roll/Spindash. The Spindash could be a move in the skill-tree, sure, but it’s def not in your base moveset.

Meanwhile, the leak only mentions boosting in the “boosting levels”, which is built I’m sure on the assumption many other fake leaks had where you only had the boost in cyberspace (in itself based on interpreting what the leakers meant by “Generations-style levels”). He doesn’t mention boosting being a part of Sonic’s arsenal outside of these stages, just in these (to the point of calling them "boosting levels"). Which is odd, considering that’s the main thing you do in these maps besides jump and spam attack buttons, apparently.

This also has another not-so-small problem. The first of this guy’s leaks said the “ghost girl” exists but is “not that important”. Meanwhile the second leak gives us the information the girls name is SAGE, and that she betrays Eggman and is a major character. Not only does it flip-flop from saying she isn’t important to saying she is, but the leaker doesn’t give her a name until the second leak, for some reason. Thing is, this info of her being named SAGE and going rogue was presented in that officially leaked game plot synopsis Sega had some sites take down. So I’m assuming the leaker didn’t know about that until after they made the first leak, and made the second one to include that.

I will say it does get SAGE being a chibi anime girl right, though. And having a titan of her own might be true, considering that one shot of her by one we haven’t seen before. That is oddly specific to get right in the midst of things that seem inaccurate or suspicious. But it's also not a huge stretch to hear about the "anime-styled ghost girl" from other leaks and subvert those expectations (since everyone seemed to assume she'd be.. uh, well endowed). We also don't know if that titan she's with in the trailer is unique to her, so that's also up in the air.

But anyways, in short: yeah. It’s likely fake. A leak built off fan’s in-the-moment understanding of the corroborated official info, with some nice things mentioned that would make fans happy, and a few things that are likely lucky guesses.

And if it’s real, I’ll eat an entire nice dinner, because I’m not wasting THAT much energy on a bet over video games.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, azoo said:

It’s more so about them explaining what their experience was playing the game.

Everyone who’s played it has played the same kind of experience where they’re thrown into the starting area and have to figure out where to go from there. In everyone’s recollection, there is a boost (in both the main and cyberspace maps), and one outlet in particular explicitly said there’s no roll move in what they played.

There’s no good reason a build being beta-tested just a month or two before the public reveal (also starting from the beginning of the game, reminder) would feature a roll/Spindash. The Spindash could be a move in the skill-tree, sure, but it’s def not in your base moveset.

Meanwhile, the leak only mentions boosting in the “boosting levels”, which is built I’m sure on the assumption many other fake leaks had where you only had the boost in cyberspace (in itself based on interpreting what the leakers meant by “Generations-style levels”). He doesn’t mention boosting being a part of Sonic’s arsenal outside of these stages, just in these (to the point of calling them "boosting levels"). Which is odd, considering that’s the main thing you do in these maps besides jump and spam attack buttons, apparently.

This also has another not-so-small problem. The first of this guy’s leaks said the “ghost girl” exists but is “not that important”. Meanwhile the second leak gives us the information the girls name is SAGE, and that she betrays Eggman and is a major character. Not only does it flip-flop from saying she isn’t important to saying she is, but the leaker doesn’t give her a name until the second leak, for some reason. Thing is, this info of her being named SAGE and going rogue was presented in that officially leaked game plot synopsis Sega had some sites take down. So I’m assuming the leaker didn’t know about that until after they made the first leak, and made the second one to include that.

I will say it does get SAGE being a chibi anime girl right, though. And having a titan of her own might be true, considering that one shot of her by one we haven’t seen before. That is oddly specific to get right in the midst of things that seem inaccurate or suspicious. But it's also not a huge stretch to hear about the "anime-styled ghost girl" from other leaks and subvert those expectations (since everyone seemed to assume she'd be.. uh, well endowed). We also don't know if that titan she's with in the trailer is unique to her, so that's also up in the air.

But anyways, in short: yeah. It’s likely fake. A leak built off fan’s in-the-moment understanding of the corroborated official info, with some nice things mentioned that would make fans happy, and a few things that are likely lucky guesses.

And if it’s real, I’ll eat an entire nice dinner, because I’m not wasting THAT much energy on a bet over video games.

Sega is having external play testing throughout the whole development process of the game. So, it's possible that some play testers had access to different content than others.

That's definitely just the player jumping out of a stomp and not a bounce.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

That's definitely just the player jumping out of a stomp and not a bounce.

I think you're right, but this just makes me remember how much I miss the bounce ability from the Adventure 2 and even 06

C'mon Sega, I want that back.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's interesting is that this is taking place in the tutorial area of the game before the first Ninja boss. If the dropdash is already unlocked by that point in the game, it almost sounds like it's a core move tbh.

It'll be very odd if you can roll down slopes with the drop dash but not a roll somehow. Earlier on I was expecting a quick uncurl but from the description, the possibility seems on the table that you remain curled for a decent period of time. Plus, if you did uncurl quickly out of it, specifically at that point in the game, running without boosting causes Sonic to travel relatively slow, and it seems like the momentum is carrying all the way to the point where he's travelling down the cliff.

Maybe rolling itself is just a move that wasn't fully explained yet that is on the control scheme somewhere? I can't see it being unlockable but again, locking rolling behind a drop dash feels weird to do.

I have doubts that it's the stomp specifically and not a bounce. Jumping out of a stomp is something only seasoned Sonic speedrunners usually attempt as smoothly as that, and the extra air that was gained from the second arc seemed a lot higher than normal, though it's probably helped by the double jump before he activates the dropdash. Other leaks that got the cyberspace stages being past stages right mentioned a bounce as well, so there's precedent from leaks in favor of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, The Deleter said:

I have doubts that it's the stomp specifically and not a bounce. Jumping out of a stomp is something only seasoned Sonic speedrunners usually attempt as smoothly as that, and the extra air that was gained from the second arc seemed a lot higher than normal, though it's probably helped by the double jump before he activates the dropdash. Other leaks that got the cyberspace stages being past stages right mentioned a bounce as well, so there's precedent from leaks in favor of it.

Isn't it weird for Sonic to be able to double-jump out of a bounce, though? He can't do that in Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 1

People, I feel we already know the full list of cyberspace stages by now:

Ghz - Sonic 1

Cpz - Sonic 2

Sky sanctuary - Sonic 3

Speed highway - Adventure era/ jolly generations rep

Rooftop run - Unleashed

Metropolis - Forces

That's 6, one from each game from the classic and modern Era, speed highway/city counting as generations'/adventure era representation. 

The last stage is probably going to be Planet Wisp for Colors representation, since they already have the assets for that lol. 

I do not think we're getting more than 7 distinct locales for cyberspace, not with how much they're trying to save time and budget by reusing assets. 

I think this is it. And it would play perfectly with the memories theme of the game, one zone for each game to "celebrate" for the 30th anniversary. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Ghz - Sonic 1

Cpz - Sonic 2

Sky sanctuary - Sonic 3

Speed highway - Gens

Rooftop run - Unleashed

Metropolis - Forces

That's 6, one from each game from the classic and modern Era, speed highway/city counting as generations'/adventure era representation. 

The last stage is probably going to be Planet Wisp for Colors representation, since they already have the assets for that lol. 

I do not think we're getting more than 7 distinct locales for cyberspace, not with how much they're trying to save time and budget by reusing assets. 

I think this is it. And it would play perfectly with the memories theme of the game, one zone for each game to "celebrate" for the 30th anniversary. 

Speed Highway - Gens? Don't you mean Sonic Adventure?

57 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

Speed Highway - Gens? Don't you mean Sonic Adventure?

I specified it right after the list, sorry, it's late night where I am hahaha

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic games take so long to make now, every mainline game is an "anniversary game" celebrating the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

27 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sonic games take so long to make now, every mainline game is an "anniversary game" celebrating the franchise.

It's been said before, but good luck to them figuring out stages to represent the past era in the 2032 game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

They're already running low here since they only really have 1-2 games with new content to pick from.

I feel like Sonic is a legacy franchise and has been for the past 11 years, and that's not going to change unfortunately.

They're gonna cash in on nostalgia no matter what happens, because fans are still going to buy the games if they are decent, despite the reused stages, and the general public expects Green Hill from Sonic, and that's what they're gonna get.

• Thumbs Up 7

...wait, are they all fucking callbacks? 

And the only new level in the entire damn game is the shameless Zelda ripoff NO ONE ASKED FOR?!?!?!

Christ on a... God damn it, why do I DO this to myself? Ah well. Hope the Tails DLC is fun to play, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:13 PM, Sonikko said:

Ghz - Sonic 1

Cpz - Sonic 2

Sky sanctuary - Sonic 3

Speed highway - Adventure era/ jolly generations rep

Rooftop run - Unleashed

Metropolis - Forces

I still think this game has a mixture of old and new zones, because we have that highway level. Also, the guy that talked about Metropolis said this:

https://i.redd.it/njqld2lbk1991.jpg

39 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

...wait, are they all fucking callbacks? 

And the only new level in the entire damn game is the shameless Zelda ripoff NO ONE ASKED FOR?!?!?!

Christ on a... God damn it, why do I DO this to myself? Ah well. Hope the Tails DLC is fun to play, at least.

This is not confirmed yet. I hope can finally know for sure after the Game Informer interview with Takashi Iizuka. I still think the game has a mixture of old and new zones. It doesn't make sense to the whole game to be reused stages. We had dozens of leaks mentioned the cyberspace before and none of them mentioned all the stages being reused levels.

I don't know if all the play testers are casual games that don't know Sonic Generation stages. But that doesn't seem to be the case, because a lot of leaks compared Sonic Frontiers to Generations.

If all the stages have reused themes. Well, it's kinda a dealbreaker for me. But I'll still wait and see when the game comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tbh I assumed the people referring to a metropolis level were talking about the highway level

But he said: "it had a redder tint". The highway level is just gray. Maybe the callback aren't only reused assets, but they recreated some classic levels like Metropolis from Sonic 2?

Red tint makes me thinks more about "Eggmanland" than any metropolis zone, but it might be a lighting stuff. Now remember that tester might confuse some levels if there is no real "level names" for the cyberspace (which seems to be the case ? I mean, I don't remember anybody talking about names for the cyberspace levels). So it might not even be one of the few "Metropolis" of the saga xD

The "red tint" makes me curious tho : I wonder if it's for the lighting, the assets, or the "cyberspace background". Would be interesting to tint the last one for the different ambiance of the stage. Even if I feel that having a contrast between the style of the zone and the cyberspace background would be interesting, to make it feel "fakes" which would be logical as all those place are fake.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Red tint makes me thinks more about "Eggmanland" than any metropolis zone, but it might be a lighting stuff. Now remember that tester might confuse some levels if there is no real "level names" for the cyberspace (which seems to be the case ? I mean, I don't remember anybody talking about names for the cyberspace levels). So it might not even be one of the few "Metropolis" of the saga xD

The "red tint" makes me curious tho : I wonder if it's for the lighting, the assets, or the "cyberspace background". Would be interesting to tint the last one for the different ambiance of the stage. Even if I feel that having a contrast between the style of the zone and the cyberspace background would be interesting, to make it feel "fakes" which would be logical as all those place are fake.

I don't know, but Sonic 2 Metropolis Zone has a palette of complementary colors (red and green), so it could be Sonic 2 Metropolis. I don't know if the guy knows Sonic Forces levels. Sonic 2 is way more popular than Forces.

I would love to have Eggmanland on this game. The reusing old level trope could be interesting if they are unexpected levels. Night Palace from Sonic and the Secret Rings, for example. Or Mystic Mansion from Sonic Heroes. But being the same old saturated levels from Sonic Generations sucks.

Well the red tint exclude Forces Metropolis. What I was saying was more that it could be even something else than Metropolis and maybe the person remember the name Metropolis and applied it. It's difficult to know exactly what it is for the moment.

Now I wouldn't against S2 Metropolis reused : it would be interesting to see a 3D version of it - even if it certainly would be simplified with how the cyberspace levels doesn't seems to have a lot of different assets for the moment, and would have an interesting roles (representing the "city of Eggman") and have the recognizability to be so. Even Forces Metropolis, it's a cool-looking level (but is certainly not that here, as no red tint)

About Mystic Mansion and stuff, honestly for a game that isn't that much a "celebration", I feel that digging too much in "obscure level" (or ones that would more be there for the sake of the reference) would be a bit too much fanservice in my book, while I can understand digging the most recognizable ones depending of what the goal of these levels is. It depends of the number of level, tho, if there are a lot of different level environnement and it's nearly all-reuse it could work better. Even if IMO, I feel that it would be better that put these level in a game that doesn't seems to simplify its linear levels environnements, because I would prefer to have a full-on generation recreation of Mystic Mansion, than just a reuse of its theme.

Now I feel that the best solution would have to use semi-abstract representation of level tropes, to fit better the "cyberspace motifs".

• Thumbs Up 2

The redder tint could mean literally anything, and Metropolis from Sonic 2 is more green than anything.
I'd say, since he says his memory isn't reliable, it could either be sunset heights or rooftop run, the're both pretty orange.