Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Has anyone been able to see the shaders? It would be interesting to see if they are related to different environments

I have intense doubts that any of the HE files are in a state that would give us any clear idea of how Frontiers works.

(Nevermind the files themselves are probably outdated) 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

If I recall correctly, there was a piece of Mega Man 11 art in a Mega Man games collection, so I can say it is probably safe to say that Sonic Frontiers and Sonic Origins is not the first time something like this has happened.

Correct, Block Man's power was in the art gallery of legacy collection 2. The difference though, is that megaman's was a hint that was done on purpose. It was not hidden, it was not removed after being discovered, it was left in there plain to see in the megaman 8 gallery (the game with the most modern attempt at a new style of graphics). The first robot master that megaman 11 showed off, and the only stage playable in its early demo? Block man's. Capcom absolutely knew what they were doing.

Frontiers files on the other hand, were absolutely in there by accident and as a result of sega not double checking.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

Has anyone been able to see the shaders? It would be interesting to see if they are related to different environments

Best I can gather, this is more like a series of pointers to engine functions, a whole bunch of stuff the community does not actually possess (and may never possess, I dunno). It's not something you can just slot into Forces or whatever and see how it looks. The main thing this gives us is information about the game we didn't previously have.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, LegoFedora said:

Correct, Block Man's power was in the art gallery of legacy collection 2. The difference though, is that megaman's was a hint that was done on purpose. It was not hidden, it was not removed after being discovered, it was left in there plain to see in the megaman 8 gallery (the game with the most modern attempt at a new style of graphics). The first robot master that megaman 11 showed off, and the only stage playable in its early demo? Block man's. Capcom absolutely knew what they were doing.

Frontiers files on the other hand, were absolutely in there by accident and as a result of sega not double checking.

I figured. Still, I should probably bring up what NoKaine said here if it means anything.

18 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

This literally happens all the time lmao. Super Mario 3D All-Stars has files from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

Frontiers' files are in Origins because the part of Sonic Team that worked on Origins to do the 3D models and stuff used the Hedgehog Engine 2. They likely just ripped all of the necessary files and data from Frontiers and put it into Origins

The files they did get "leaked" (assuming that paste bin is all, but the person who posted it implies there are more) are very inconsequental.

27 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

This literally happens all the time lmao. Super Mario 3D All-Stars has files from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

Frontiers' files are in Origins because the part of Sonic Team that worked on Origins to do the 3D models and stuff used the Hedgehog Engine 2. They likely just ripped all of the necessary files and data from Frontiers and put it into Origins

The files they did get "leaked" (assuming that paste bin is all, but the person who posted it implies there are more) are very inconsequental.

How does that work though? Is it load-bearing code or something, and it'd break if it was removed?

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

How does that work though? Is it load-bearing code or something, and it'd break if it was removed?

The text strings, I heavily doubt it. But yes, it is possible that something may break if certain shader / engine files are removed, even if the files themselves don't really "do" anything for what they're used for in Origins.

I was hoping when I heard about the fishing minigame that it would involve Big. Game saved.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Hidden04 said:

We know more about the game from leaks to the point where people can find by datamining 2D classic games, if this turns out to be some elaborate ARG that will unlock a demo if you buy the origins collections, then ok there mad lads for doing that, but then again most "clues" mentioned by the social media team when Arron was still there, lead to nowhere.

Probably nothing big, but... nah, it's just Big indeed.

Did anyone notice that those leaked texts suggest that Big the Cat is in the game as an NPC for the fishing minigame?

We know that Tails and Amy will be in the game, now Big seems to be in too, I wonder if any other character will appear in the game in a way or another.

I also wonder if Big will be on the Starfall Islands for some story reasons or just out of nowhere like in his SA2 cameos.

3 hours ago, Natie said:

I was hoping when I heard about the fishing minigame that it would involve Big. Game saved.

Well someone did at least.

EDIT: ok literally everyone noticed it, I just suck at reading older posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Big the Cat is in this game and there is a fishing minigame sonic frontiers will already be the best game in the franchise lol.

Lotta people semi-sarcastically joking that Big being in this game automatically puts it in the win column,  but I'm saying it kind of unironically. This is actually the chance to redeem Big's fishing gameplay concept. You could market Frontiers on that alone and it'd sell me. And like, that sounds kinda silly, but if I'm not getting gameplay that's fundamentally Sonic (and I am not, the Classic gameplay defined what Sonic IS, immutably, only tangentially related, I digress), I may as well get the really pretty Big the Cat fishing game set on the mysterious island, home to a lost, technologically advanced civilization, with melancholy vibes and music.

It's funny, as soon as I start thinking of Frontiers as a spinoff game it gets a lot more interesting to me. I'd probably be as hyped as the diehards for it if we were still getting Sonic games that focused on the foundational momentum slope physics gameplay, some in 2D some in 3D. Take it out of the Sonic context and, automation aside (not a good call, Sonic or not), this is the sort of thing I could see myself sinking a lot of time into. It's the Sonic stuff that actually kind of ruins it for me. Because yeah, I AM here for that momentum gameplay, that stylish, in your face attitude and personality seeping through every facet of the presentation. If I could ignore its nature as a Sonic game, take it as something else, I'm sure most of my reservations would go away. Not ALL, still not a fan of the lacking terrain interactions and momentum conservation, even as it hypothetically applies to something like...say, Mario (who is also affected by some interpretation of real world physics, for game feel at least, objects in motion stay in motion and all that).

But like, if this were Zelda? Or a Zelda clone? Or some Phantasy Star thing? Or a new IP? It might not catch my attention in the first place like Sonic does (I am HERE, for SONIC), but give me a chance to play it and I'd probably get really into it. With Big gameplay, at least I might be able to pretend, or treat this like something other than a mainline entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Natie said:

I assure you I am unironically happy to see Big.

Oh sure, but it's not just here that I've been seeing the "Big the Cat! FRONTIERS IS SAVED!" stuff, not all of it is so genuine.

I'm happy he's in the game, but Big being the first alternate playstyle we've gotten in years is kind of funny. I hope fishing becomes a mainstay in the sonic series.

So for anyone still confused, the reason for this is that apparently they used HE2 for the 3D island menus. This makes sense to me especially considering it seems they used the Generations/Forces models for the characters running around and stuff, might as well use a framework they already know works for those models.

A fun recent example of something like this happening is Kirby Fighters 2 (2020) had some code for something called "Kirby3D". The connection hasn't been confirmed either way, but it being related to Forgotten Land would make a lot of sense.

• Thumbs Up 8

20 minutes ago, Celestia said:

So for anyone still confused, the reason for this is that apparently they used HE2 for the 3D island menus. This makes sense to me especially considering it seems they used the Generations/Forces models for the characters running around and stuff, might as well use a framework they already know works for those models.

A fun recent example of something like this happening is Kirby Fighters 2 (2020) had some code for something called "Kirby3D". The connection hasn't been confirmed either way, but it being related to Forgotten Land would make a lot of sense.

When games share engines and general framework, it's not uncommon at all for assets to be carried over from one game to the next. Mario Kart 8 contains a bunch of beta Splatoon assets for example, and there was a brief time in 2011 when a few confused people thought that the Werehog was going to be in Generations because his life icon was found in the demo. 

• Chuckle 1

12 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

there was a brief time in 2011 when a few confused people thought that the Werehog was going to be in Generations because his life icon was found in the demo. 

That was a fun day. It was also the same day the ENTIRE level select got leaked, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

Obviously there's no way to know, but I've got the impression that the leaked strings from the Origins datamine are only related to the demo or at least the first island of the game. They seem to be event flags, boolean stuff which goes to true when a particular event happens in game.

If Big is an NPC on the first island, is it possible that there will be other minigames and other NPCs in the other 3 islands? I honestly hope that they will use as many characters as they can by giving them small roles like this... it's nice and a better use of the characters than turning them into cheerleaders.

There could be a music minigame with the Chaotix, a simplified version of the Chao Garden (maybe even just a Chao Race) with Cream, and I don't know maybe a shooting minigame with Omega or wathever. That would be a very nice use of the extended cast IMO, especially if they can't be playable nor be part of the main story.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm happy Big the cat is in the game too.
Not so much for Big himself, but the relief the islands are actually populated to an extend and not just soulless empty wastelands like it's implied so far.
Alright, gotta little more hope for the project. Keep it up Sega.

That said, Big might just be a cameo in the cyberspace levels and not be related to the Open Zone aspect at all after all.

Nah, since we know there's a fishing minigame and there are purple coins with fishhooks on them, there's no way that could be reconciled with a bunch of short objective-based stages.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's a good thing if The Game has a lot of Optional Minigames that you can play as "Breathers" between the normal Gameplay 

6 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Nah, since we know there's a fishing minigame and there are purple coins with fishhooks on them, there's no way that could be reconciled with a bunch of short objective-based stages.

Indeed. The only question is, how deep will the minigame be? The one in Kirby Forgotten Land is just a button mashing QTE, I hope the one in Frontiers is at least a bit more compex than that.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:19 AM, herefor1reason said:

Lotta people semi-sarcastically joking that Big being in this game automatically puts it in the win column,  but I'm saying it kind of unironically. This is actually the chance to redeem Big's fishing gameplay concept. You could market Frontiers on that alone and it'd sell me. And like, that sounds kinda silly, but if I'm not getting gameplay that's fundamentally Sonic (and I am not, the Classic gameplay defined what Sonic IS, immutably, only tangentially related, I digress), I may as well get the really pretty Big the Cat fishing game set on the mysterious island, home to a lost, technologically advanced civilization, with melancholy vibes and music.

It's funny, as soon as I start thinking of Frontiers as a spinoff game it gets a lot more interesting to me. I'd probably be as hyped as the diehards for it if we were still getting Sonic games that focused on the foundational momentum slope physics gameplay, some in 2D some in 3D. Take it out of the Sonic context and, automation aside (not a good call, Sonic or not), this is the sort of thing I could see myself sinking a lot of time into. It's the Sonic stuff that actually kind of ruins it for me. Because yeah, I AM here for that momentum gameplay, that stylish, in your face attitude and personality seeping through every facet of the presentation. If I could ignore its nature as a Sonic game, take it as something else, I'm sure most of my reservations would go away. Not ALL, still not a fan of the lacking terrain interactions and momentum conservation, even as it hypothetically applies to something like...say, Mario (who is also affected by some interpretation of real world physics, for game feel at least, objects in motion stay in motion and all that).

But like, if this were Zelda? Or a Zelda clone? Or some Phantasy Star thing? Or a new IP? It might not catch my attention in the first place like Sonic does (I am HERE, for SONIC), but give me a chance to play it and I'd probably get really into it. With Big gameplay, at least I might be able to pretend, or treat this like something other than a mainline entry.

The fun thing is that I unnironic like the fishing in Sonic Adventure, especially in Emerald Coast, I lost a lot of time playing there.

• Thumbs Up 1