Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

35 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

You know, if that bit about a movie needing to make at least twice its budget back to actually profit is true, then I'm actually somewhat worried for Sonic.  It's the top movie in the world at the moment, but how much that means in the long run remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You know, if that bit about a movie needing to make at least twice its budget back to actually profit is true, then I'm actually somewhat worried for Sonic.  It's the top movie in the world at the moment, but how much that means in the long run remains to be seen.

The Sonic movie is in good shape. I think those preliminary week 2 figures might edge up a little as we continue through the weekend to be closer to a 55-60% drop, but there really isn't another "family friendly" film out right now.... well, not until next week anyway! 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Those numbers represent the domestic box office only for Sonic. On the worldwide scale, it is already well on its way to the doubling. While 200 million might be a slog to reach, if not out of the question. Sonic is still in a good position for the domestic market. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

The Sonic movie is in good shape. I think those preliminary week 2 figures might edge up a little as we continue through the weekend to be closer to a 55-60% drop, but there really isn't another "family friendly" film out right now.... well, not until next week anyway! 

My understanding is that a 50-60% drop for weekend 2 is normal. It will likely be slightly higher than normal because it had such a good opening weekend.

Edited by MGA_Gamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don’t know why, but seeing all these kids being so…ecstatic about this film just brings a warm joy to me as a Sonic fan.

Like, they know about Sonic, even if a number of them haven’t played the games (I asked a little girl if she and her has and she said no), but they love him regardless. It’s one of those things outside the fandoms on the Internet that make you see that the Blue Blur has more of an impact that we tend to think.

Gonna be so happy with this new generation when they get older!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2

Also don’t forget the worldwide release is missing the Russian numbers for a very good reason. I read that the first film made good money from the Russian release, so witholding the second film from that market on moral grounds will have caused a bit of a loss and they will have known that when they made that decision.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if these will see a day of light? These were posted months ago before the trailer was released.:

eb5l5dhghk081.jpg?auto=webp&s=596616f88dcbe983516549da0815f12ff81c6d5f

2 hours ago, caitash said:

Also don’t forget the worldwide release is missing the Russian numbers for a very good reason. I read that the first film made good money from the Russian release, so witholding the second film from that market on moral grounds will have caused a bit of a loss and they will have known that when they made that decision.

About 10 million from Russia and 2 million from Ukraine for the first film.

9 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

You say that now but by the time these little tykes get older we'll be last year's models screaming for them to get off our checkerboard pattern lawns. 

Kids these days don't know what it's like. Back in the old days we had to thirst for good content and walk uphill both ways to get it. 

• Chuckle 4

I enjoyed it. It carried over some of the problems with the first film and it definitely had a couple scenes that should have been chopped from it, but it absolutely was much better as a Sonic movie instead of a road trip movie where Sonic happens to present but James Marsden is actually the one who advances the plot.

12 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I don’t know why, but seeing all these kids being so…ecstatic about this film just brings a warm joy to me as a Sonic fan.

Like, they know about Sonic, even if a number of them haven’t played the games (I asked a little girl if she and her has and she said no), but they love him regardless. It’s one of those things outside the fandoms on the Internet that make you see that the Blue Blur has more of an impact that we tend to think.

Missed opportunity to tell that little girl to play Shadow the Hedgehog, my dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Missed opportunity to tell that little girl to play Shadow the Hedgehog, my dude.

No, I’m not gonna do that.

I already made that mistake supporting it when I was a teenager, I’m not gonna repeat that with someone else. Un-un. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, managed to watch Sonic 2 with relatively little spoilers.  My thoughts

Sonic 1 (in comparison)
Okay movie. Nothing special but structurally solid. It's 3 biggest strengths are also 3 things in which it surpasses the sequel
1) Comedy. Both movies have their share of good and great jokes, but S2 had few more cringy jokes that went too long.
2) Villain. Robotnik was a great villain, good mix of funny and competent. but In first movie I saw more 'eggman' and in second more 'carrey'. He still has many great scenes (opening) but generally I felt looser grasp on the character, way more random. I get that Mushroom Hills drove him crazy a little, but that just made him less engaging to me.
3) Emotional Themes. S1 has a simple theme of need of relations with other beings. Not amazingly innovative, but works, pushes all emotional scenes. Tom's subplot related to it and Robotnik is a good foil, both lonely and with power, Sonic wants friends, Eggman puts himself above others.
S2 has much muddier themes. There is some talk about Sonic needing friends, some talk about parents, some talk about Sonic needing to grow up, none of those things really going anywhere. And such it has weaker emotional impact.

Sonic 2
This is a muddy movie, trying to combine epic adventure we all wanted with small comedy of it's predecessor. I think everyone agrees that marriage subplot could been removed. I'll go as far as say that Tom & Maddie should disappear after going on vacation and return only for/after the climax.
But action part of the movie is tons of fun. Maybe not "best ever", CGI sometimes is quite obvious, but majority is just dang good. It's crazy that we went from Sonic running from little eggpod to full Death Egg Robot vs Super Sonic. But my favorite animation was flashback showing echidna owl history, that looked gorgeous.

Tails is this movie is fine. It's Tails I seen before. He has one adorable scene with Sonic (hug, getting tucked in), rest of the movie he' mostly there. I wish HE was the one to free Sonic from GUN, despite being wounded (or be fine and get wounded during the rescue). It would be great occasion for solo action and underline how close they grew as friends. As it is, his arc feels a bit rushed to me.
Knuckles steals the movie. I love how vicious he looked chasing Sonic. I love his powerful entrance. I love the little talk he had at the beach with Sonic. I love his constant seriousness and many funny moments that lead from it. I wish he had few more actually serious moments, but I can work with what we have. I have bigger grip with lack of proper motivation. Death of his tribe is confusingly vague. Did Longclaw took them all with her? Why Knuckles thinks Sonic is a key to something he never seen? And what he even planned to do with Master Emerald? IDK, I needed one scene where he opens up to his "friend" Robotnik and explain his motives.  As bonus, it would underline that he trusts Eggman and make upcoming betrayal more harrowing.

Overall if you wanna look for plotholes or poorly explained things, you'll get ton of them. Why are Tails and Knuckles so fast? Apparently Longclaw lied when she said people want to steal his speed (which was always a little dumb). If Tails was watching Sonic down to bathroom, why not teleport directly into his house? What was he doing in pre-quill comic? What the hell happened to Master Emerald? Is it worthless now or chaos emerald went back in? Shouldn't Chaos appear or does Paramount plans to relocate him?
All of those are good question that I'm willing to ignore in name of good fun. If Sonic 1 was a 6/10, Sonic 2 is 8/10 in my book. But with few revisions I think it could been 9/10.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (future speculations)
I knew that 3rd movie has only 3 options: Metal, Chaos or Shadow.
My bet was that they will hold Super Sonic till 3rd movie for a fight with Perfect Chaos. That would be a perfect closure to echidna story in this franchise. And don't tell me he can show in Knuckles TV, we'll need movie budget to do him justice. Maybe next movie.
Metal Sonic (possibly with more "metal siblings") would be logical, easy to implement and cool, but with Carrey leaving the franchise I worry we might not see him for a while. Frankly, I'm still shocked. I can't imagine next movies without Eggman.

But as we all know it's gonna be Shadow. I love the dude, but I worried it's way to fast after Knuckles, two "evil rival, turn good" in a row will be odd. But I suppose if we want to eventually leave Earth for Mobius, then we must do human stories quickly. I just pray they do him justice, especially considering that SA2 will definitely has to be toned down.
I also wonder if Amy will be in the movie. Like, come on, they can't hold her even longer. I know that cast will be tight, but maybe we can push Rouge and Knuckles into the TV show?

(Side note, what will be Knuckles TV show about? Still no idea. My best guess is that we learn more what happened to echidnas. Fingers crossed for Chaotix and new white echidna villain.
... What? Between Ix, Zachary and Finitevus it's tradition by now and we lost right to 2 of them anyway).

Going even further... nope, not even gonna try. Introducing Time Travel or Wisps or Dark Gaia or Sol Dimension, this looks impossible to adapt into Movie-verse. Let's see how they manage to do story with shooting a child first.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Going even further... nope, not even gonna try. Introducing Time Travel or Wisps or Dark Gaia or Sol Dimension, this looks impossible to adapt into Movie-verse. Let's see how they manage to do story with shooting a child first.

Wisps are glorified powerups, so they're unlikely beyond just a cameo, but I don't see why the rest of these would be hard to adapt, and there are a ton of other options.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

2) Villain. Robotnik was a great villain, good mix of funny and competent. but In first movie I saw more 'eggman' and in second more 'carey'. He still has many great scenes (opening) but generally I felt looser grasp on the character, way more random. I get that Mushroom Hills drove him crazy a little, but that just made him less engaging to me.

Spoiler

The opening sequence of S2 might have been the best live action depiction of Eggman that any of us could ever dare to hope for. Jim had ample opportunity to play up the physical comedy he is best known for (that sprint for the open portal followed up by the hard brake kicking up turf....  perfection). Using Eggman's intellect to subvert expectations (I mean, you would assume he would just build a spaceship or portal, but nope) - everything about the first few mins of that movie was flawless.

However it was very clear that they essentially gave Jim a blank check to do whatever he wanted during the rest of filming. Everyone knows he doesn't like doing sequels so it was likely the easiest way they could entice him to come back for another go.

As much as I like the casting, and think he did an amazing job, I wouldn't be all too upset if the franchise moves on without him. Would have been cool to see him work in the fat suit, but he took things way too far in more than a few scenes in the second movie and I'm willing to bet the director lacks the... "power" to stop him.

Overall if you wanna look for plotholes or poorly explained things, you'll get ton of them. Why are Tails and Knuckles so fast? Apparently Longclaw lied when she said people want to steal his speed (which was always a little dumb). If Tails was watching Sonic down to bathroom, why not teleport directly into his house? What was he doing in pre-quill comic? What the hell happened to Master Emerald? Is it worthless now or chaos emerald went back in? Shouldn't Chaos appear or does Paramount plans to relocate him?

Spoiler

All Mobians are fast. Even Big has some degree of super speed. In the deleted scenes from the first movie, we see that Longclaw is capable of running down Baby Sonic. I don't see why the movie would even need to explain Tails or Knuckles speed, particularly so when it also showed that Sonic was also still significantly faster. That feels a little nitpicky.

I agree that was poorly explained, but Sonic's speed shares the same Chaos Energy effect as the Master Emerald. The Echidna's would 100% be interested in catching Sonic for his speed, due to his potential connection to the Master Emerald. At best, Longclaw just simplified the threat so that a child could understand. At worst, she told him a half-truth to keep him from endangering himself. Either way, he would have been on the Echidna hit-list due to both his speed and connection to Longclaw herself.

Tails having to search for Sonic made no sense, considering he had been watching him. They could have easily of chalked it up to wonky navigation due to a faulty invention... but whatever.

It was confirmed somewhere that the Chaos Emeralds are no longer in the Master, but I feel like this is something that can be tackled in the Knuckles TV series. Nonetheless, I too was asking myself that when I left the theater. 

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic 1 (in comparison)
Okay movie. Nothing special but structurally solid. It's 3 biggest strengths are also 3 things in which it surpasses the sequel
1) Comedy. Both movies have their share of good and great jokes, but S2 had few more cringy jokes that went too long.
2) Villain. Robotnik was a great villain, good mix of funny and competent. but In first movie I saw more 'eggman' and in second more 'carey'. He still has many great scenes (opening) but generally I felt looser grasp on the character, way more random. I get that Mushroom Hills drove him crazy a little, but that just made him less engaging to me.
3) Emotional Themes. S1 has a simple theme of need of relations with other beings. Not amazingly innovative, but works, pushes all emotional scenes. Tom's subplot related to it and Robotnik is a good foil, both lonely and with power, Sonic wants friends, Eggman puts himself above others.
S2 has much muddier themes. There is some talk about Sonic needing friends, some talk about parents, some talk about Sonic needing to grow up, none of those things really going anywhere. And such it has weaker emotional impact.

Sonic 2
This is a muddy movie, trying to combine epic adventure we all wanted with small comedy of it's predecessor. I think everyone agrees that marriage subplot could been removed. I'll go as far as say that Tom & Maddie should disappear after going on vacation and return only for/after the climax.
But action part of the movie is tons of fun. Maybe not "best ever", CGI sometimes is quite obvious, but majority is just dang good. It's crazy that we went from Sonic running from little eggpod to full Death Egg Robot vs Super Sonic. But my favorite animation was flashback showing echidna owl history, that looked gorgeous.

Tails is this movie is fine. It's Tails I seen before. He has one adorable scene with Sonic (hug, getting tucked in), rest of the movie he' mostly there. I wish HE was the one to free Sonic from GUN, despite being wounded (or be fine and get wounded during the rescue). It would be great occasion for solo action and underline how close they grew as friends. As it is, his arc feels a bit rushed to me.
Knuckles steals the movie. I love how vicious he looked chasing Sonic. I love his powerful entrance. I love the little talk he had at the beach with Sonic. I love his constant seriousness and many funny moments that lead from it. I wish he had few more actually serious moments, but I can work with what we have. I have bigger grip with lack of proper motivation. Death of his tribe is confusingly vague. Did Longclaw took them all with her? Why Knuckles thinks Sonic is a key to something he never seen? And what he even planned to do with Master Emerald? IDK, I needed one scene where he opens up to his "friend" Robotnik and explain his motives.  As bonus, it would underline that he trusts Eggman and make upcoming betrayal more harrowing.

All of those are good question that I'm willing to ignore in name of good fun. If Sonic 1 was a 6/10, Sonic 2 is 8/10 in my book. But with few revisions I think it could been 9/10.

My best bet was certain that they will hold Super Sonic till 3rd movie for a fight with Perfect Chaos. That would be a perfect closure to echidna story in this franchise. And don't tell me he can show in Knuckles TV, we'll need movie budget to do him justice. Maybe next movie.
Metal Sonic (possibly with more "metal siblings") would be logical, easy to implement and cool, but with Carey leaving the franchise I worry we might not see him for a while. Frankly, I'm still shocked. I can't imagine next movies without Eggman.

But as we all know it's gonna be Shadow. I love the dude, but I worried it's way to fast after Knuckles, two "evil rival, turn good" in a row will be odd. But I suppose if we want to eventually leave Earth for Mobius, then we must do human stories quickly. I just pray they do him justice, especially considering that SA2 will definitely has to be toned down.
I also wonder if Amy will be in the movie. Like, come on, they can't hold her even longer. I know that cast will be tight, but maybe we can push Rouge and Knuckles into the TV show?

(Side note, what will be Knuckles TV show about? Still no idea. My best guess is that we learn more what happened to echidnas. Fingers crossed for Chaotix and new white echidna villain.
... What? Between Ix, Zachary and Finitevus it's tradition by now and we lost right to 2 of them anyway).

I don’t really want them to leave Earth for Mobius since it would undermine the message of the first movie where sonic found his new home

i wouldn’t mind them going there for an adventure but come back

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic 1 (in comparison)

Sonic 2

My best bet was certain that they will hold Super Sonic till 3rd movie for a fight with Perfect Chaos. That would be a perfect closure to echidna story in this franchise. And don't tell me he can show in Knuckles TV, we'll need movie budget to do him justice. Maybe next movie.
Metal Sonic (possibly with more "metal siblings") would be logical, easy to implement and cool, but with Carey leaving the franchise I worry we might not see him for a while. Frankly, I'm still shocked. I can't imagine next movies without Eggman.

Plus it’s more of a stretch to consider that tails and knuckles are fast, knuckles was able to keep up with the car but he wasn’t so fast when sonic was on foot and tails could only fly at a bigger speed and not to the lengths that sonic could do

plus while they were mainly after the emerald, I don’t think you should discount that they would want to use sonic’s powerful speed as well since it’s not like whatever happened to knuckles to give him his power happened to all the echidnas 

ptherwise why didn’t they use that against them when they came besides just their weapons?

12 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Wisps are glorified powerups, so they're unlikely beyond just a cameo, but I don't see why the rest of these would be hard to adapt, and there are a ton of other options.

Uno, I just don't dare to dream for Blaze or Silver in movies. I don't want to be disappointed if Sonic 3 will be the last one.
Dos, imagine if next Transformers movie had a real wizard. That would be strange. Just because world accepted one fictional concept, it doesn't mean everyone believes Santa is real. And so far everything is in one "bubble". Sonic-Owl-Echidnas-Emerald, everything is connected

9 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

1. All Mobians are fast. Even Big has some degree of super speed. Deleted scenes (...)

2 I agree that was poorly explained, but Sonic's speed shares the same Chaos Energy effect as the Master Emerald. The Echidna's would 100% be interested in catching Sonic for his speed, due to his potential connection to the Master Emerald. At best, Longclaw just simplified the threat so that a child could understand. At worst, she told him a half-truth to keep him from endangering himself. Either way, he would have been on the Echidna hit-list due to both his speed and connection to Longclaw herself.

3 Tails having to search for Sonic made no sense, considering he had been watching him. They could have easily of chalked it up to wonky navigation due to a faulty invention... but whatever.

4 It was confirmed somewhere that the Chaos Emeralds are no longer in the Master, but I feel like this is something that can be tackled in the Knuckles TV series. Nonetheless, I too was asking myself that when I left the theater. 

1. You're thinking thinking as Sonic fan, not casual viewer. Big doesn't exists yet. Deleted scenes don't matter. Movie 1 established that Sonic is super fast, special and people will want his power. Movie 2 throws all of that out of the window.

2-4 My general point is that all those things could been better explained. Ironically pre-quil comic raised more questions than answered. But none of those things are deal breakers, I can push them to the side of my brain and enjoy the movie.

1 minute ago, Leebo4 said:

I don’t really want them to leave Earth for Mobius since it would undermine the message of the first movie where sonic found his new home

I see your point, but I care for Sonic and mobians, not for Tom and humans.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping humans will be less and less prominent with each movie.

With the humans side of things, I don’t have a clue how all the ‘inside stuff’ goes on with actors and contracts but I’ve always wondered how much contracts have a hold over the plots and storylines. Like, I don’t know if an actor will say “I will only appear in this sequel if my character gets X amount of screentime and/or their own character arc/B-plot. Take it or leave it.” and if that sort of thing even happens, whether it happens before the script is written or if the writers have to go back and make changes based on requirements and demands by the actors. It does make me wonder though if the length of time dedicated to the wedding bit was a contractual thing with Rachel or Maddie’s character and the writers simply had to make it that way. Or if Jim read the script and said “It’s great but this bit right here, no, I’m gonna improv that scene/I want the right to improv in general at any moment, this is a non-negotiable condition for me to sign.” Obviously this only works for an actor with enough clout or one the writers deem necessary to appear at any cost for current or later plotlines. I dunno though, it’s just little things I wonder when they’re cooking the plot and curious how it all comes together.

I also kinda forgot that this entire movie was pitched, filmed, and CGI’d in a pandemic though so I don’t know how those complications factored in.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, caitash said:

With the humans side of things, I don’t have a clue how all the ‘inside stuff’ goes on with actors and contracts but I’ve always wondered how much contracts have a hold over the plots and storylines. Like, I don’t know if an actor will say “I will only appear in this sequel if my character gets X amount of screentime and/or their own character arc/B-plot. Take it or leave it.” and if that sort of thing even happens, whether it happens before the script is written or if the writers have to go back and make changes based on requirements and demands by the actors. It does make me wonder though if the length of time dedicated to the wedding bit was a contractual thing with Rachel or Maddie’s character and the writers simply had to make it that way. Or if Jim read the script and said “It’s great but this bit right here, no, I’m gonna improv that scene/I want the right to improv in general at any moment, this is a non-negotiable condition for me to sign.” Obviously this only works for an actor with enough clout or one the writers deem necessary to appear at any cost for current or later plotlines. I dunno though, it’s just little things I wonder when they’re cooking the plot and curious how it all comes together.

I also kinda forgot that this entire movie was pitched, filmed, and CGI’d in a pandemic though so I don’t know how those complications factored in.

Call me a cynic, but I believe the reason why the wedding scene goes on for a long time is the same reason why Tails doesn't get a lot of focus in this film.

Tails wasn't voiced by a celebrity in this film, therefore the studio execs didn't give him as much screen time as some of the other major characters like Sonic and Knuckles, who are voiced by major celebs. If they had given Tails a big celebrity to voice him, then I'm sure the outcome would've been different.

It just makes me so angry and sad that they teased Tails at the end of the first film, then when the second film comes out he's MIA for a good chunk of it! 😢

Edited by MGA_Gamer

Uno, I just don't dare to dream for Blaze or Silver in movies. I don't want to be disappointed if Sonic 3 will be the last one.
Dos, imagine if next Transformers movie had a real wizard. That would be strange. Just because world accepted one fictional concept, it doesn't mean everyone believes Santa is real. And so far everything is in one "bubble". Sonic-Owl-Echidnas-Emerald, everything is connected

Neither Silver nor Blaze are a significant reach in the established movie canon, and time travel could be done via Sonic's speed or the emeralds.

A wizard may not be the best example because that was never part of the Transformers canon, but the movies did end up using a ton of obscure stuff throughout that didn't connect into what was originally established.

5 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Not to mention setting the movie in a fully CGI world that needs to look believable and detailed would almost certainly be too expensive to make a profit and would immediately end the movie series.

I can understand Tails fans being upset that he wasn't a bigger focus in the movie, and I do want everyone to be able to appreciate seeing their favorite up on the big screen, but I can't really deny that on the inside I do feel like it's deserved after all those years where Tails was treated as a main character and Knuckles was shoved into the background alongside every other one of "Sonic's stupid friends" I know Sega didn't exactly do Tails justice in Forces, but he was kept mostly the same as normal for Boom, and he's consistently been a main character in IDW, even though Knuckles hasn't appeared in those for the last three years and barely did anything anyways.

I do want to clarify though, I don't believe Tails SHOULD be given a lesser role, and I do hope future movies give him a better role, but it's hard not to indulge in the satisfaction it brings.

• Thumbs Up 1