Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Uno, I just don't dare to dream for Blaze or Silver in movies. I don't want to be disappointed if Sonic 3 will be the last one.
Dos, imagine if next Transformers movie had a real wizard. That would be strange. Just because world accepted one fictional concept, it doesn't mean everyone believes Santa is real. And so far everything is in one "bubble". Sonic-Owl-Echidnas-Emerald, everything is connected

1. You're thinking thinking as Sonic fan, not casual viewer. Big doesn't exists yet. Deleted scenes don't matter. Movie 1 established that Sonic is super fast, special and people will want his power. Movie 2 throws all of that out of the window.

2-4 My general point is that all those things could been better explained. Ironically pre-quil comic raised more questions than answered. But none of those things are deal breakers, I can push them to the side of my brain and enjoy the movie.

I see your point, but I care for Sonic and mobians, not for Tom and humans.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping humans will be less and less prominent with each movie.

I don’t want the human cast to be pushed aside as I think this is the what human cast the series ever had, I like sonic having his found family 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I do want to clarify though, I don't believe Tails SHOULD be given a lesser role, and I do hope future movies give him a better role, but it's hard not to indulge in the satisfaction it brings.

Considering what we know about the 3rd movie based on what happened in this one, I think it’s extremely unlikely that Tails is gonna get much focus in future movies either (though I could be wrong of course).

I’m not saying he didn’t get a lot to do in this film, I just wish the film devoted more time to his backstory and his relationship with Sonic instead of a pointless diversion with Maddie and Rachel!

Edited by MGA_Gamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Considering what we know about the 3rd movie based on what happened in this one, I think it’s extremely unlikely that Tails is gonna get much focus in future movies either.

I’m not saying he didn’t get a lot to do in this film, I just wish the film devoted more time to his backstory and his relationship with Sonic instead of a pointless diversion with Maddie and Rachel!

If he hadn’t been KO’d for so damn long it would have felt like he was in it more. At least if they showed his determination making his way toward the parked biplane it would have been something, y’know? His proper backstory would have been better. But I do feel a little bait-and-switched for this movie as Tails was the teaser but then it was Knuckles who got more time to shine. Imagine if that happened…

Spoiler

…to Shadow, he got the teaser for Sonic 3 but then what if they actually do the same thing and give more time to shine to Metal Sonic XD (before anyone takes me seriously on that, yeah I know that isn’t going to happen, Shadow is gonna shove everyone who isn’t Sonic to the sidelines in the next movie. Oh well.)

Also I know people can say “Tails has been in the games and comics a lot lately, regardless of the quality of that representation, you should be grateful for that.” Well yeah but we had an incredibly rare opportunity in this film to show the very beginning of Tails and Sonic’s friendship that later becomes a brotherhood, we don’t ever really get that beyond tiny flashbacks and a few words in an instruction manual. And I felt they dropped the ball a little bit here by focusing too much elsewhere….like on weddings… and as a result Tails’ backstory got cut to just a few words. The filmmakers really did too much ‘tell, but not show’ with him throughout the whole movie though.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Call me a cynic, but I believe the reason why the wedding scene goes on for a long time is the same reason why Tails doesn't get a lot of focus in this film.

Tails wasn't voiced by a celebrity in this film, therefore the studio execs didn't give him as much screen time as some of the other major characters like Sonic and Knuckles, who are voiced by major celebs. If they had given Tails a big celebrity to voice him, then I'm sure the outcome would've been different.

It just makes me so angry and sad that they teased Tails at the end of the first film, then when the second film comes out he's MIA for a good chunk of it! 😢

Um. To be frank, Tika Sumpter and Natasha Rothwell aren't very big celebs. Their big hits are TV roles primarily. This theory would probably hold more water had it been James Marsden leading the whole wedding scene since next to JIm Carrey, he's probably the highest billed actor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Um. To be frank, Tika Sumpter and Natasha Rothwell aren't very big celebs. Their big hits are TV roles primarily. This theory would probably hold more water had it been James Marsden leading the whole wedding scene since next to JIm Carrey, he's probably the highest billed actor. 

Yeah, but lots of people have head of those two, especially after the success of the first film. How many people have heard of Colleen O’Shaughnessey before this film? 

The wedding scene was mostly just the writers subverting expectations, which is an idea the movie leaned on quite a few times during its runtime. 

Spoiler

The obvious solution of reuniting Sonic and an injured Tails with Tom and Maddie was so that Tika's character could re-up her veterinarian role to give her character value to the plot. However, the writers wanted to give her character a bigger moment (which was important, considering her importance to Sonic) and established an elaborate scene where she could put herself in danger to help save the day. Furthermore, it was an opportunity to continue to push the family bonds vibe by having her team up with her sister - who herself was subverting expectations by shifting from a joke antagonist to a sympathetic joke hero.

and even in all that, Tails' inventions gave him some additional shine on the side. While he may have been TKO'd for a stretch, none of that is possible without his techno do-dads and knicknacks. So the film was still putting some spotlight on him, even when it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Considering what we know about the 3rd movie based on what happened in this one, I think it’s extremely unlikely that Tails is gonna get much focus in future movies either (though I could be wrong of course).

I also felt that Tails' relationship with Sonic was a bit rushed in this movie.  I would have preferred it if they had more time spent on developing Sonic and Tails' friendship with each other instead of them just automatically getting together.  This is the main reason why I wanted the wedding scenes to be trimmed.  Although, I hope they don't remove the human characters, because I do like them and I like the fact that Tom and Maddie are like parents to Sonic. So, I don't want that element to go away.  However, I just hope that they do a better job at developing the relationships between Sonic and his friends in the third movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I also felt that Tails' relationship with Sonic was a bit rushed in this movie.  I would have preferred it if they had more time spent on developing Sonic and Tails' friendship with each other instead of them just automatically getting together. 

I thought the movie did just fine in that regard. 

Spoiler

Sonic was eager to take on a co-pilot, but all the necessary elements of their budding relationship was there, and allotted decent time to flush out. They were very quick to team up, but the results of that were felt when the duo hit a rough patch or two in the middle of the film. Tails insecurities and nervousness about being counted on were brought up at least three times (hesitancy to go to Siberia, during his background dump and following the translator flub). Sonic's insecurities about failing his friend flared up, leading him to going solo for a bit. Even so, Tails was still inspired enough to go after him on his own. Tails got to wax admirably about is hero from afar and even got to reciprocate Sonic's brotherly act of kindness with his Tail quilt. Tails even got to play hero once or twice, saving Sonic from what otherwise would have been game over.

A good deal of the movie pushed the narrative of leaning on friends and family. What more did you want to see?

• Nice Smile 2

A script for a streets of rage movie is being made by the John Wick creator

if Paramount ends up making this movie do you think this could be connected as a Sega cinematic Universe which is what I want?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

if Paramount ends up making this movie do you think this could be connected as a Sega cinematic Universe which is what I want?

I do wonder if other SEGA properties will be connected to Sonic or something like that. It would be interesting if we had a Persona movie that's connected to the Sonic movies.

4 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

We're never seeing a Sega Cinematic Universe. It'd make very little sense, especially when most of their games are completely separate in tone and setting. How would Streets Of Rage connect to Sonic, Nights, Jet Set Radio, etc? I can't see anything happening beyond basic cameos

20 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

We're never seeing a Sega Cinematic Universe. It'd make very little sense, especially when most of their games are completely separate in tone and setting. How would Streets Of Rage connect to Sonic, Nights, Jet Set Radio, etc? I can't see anything happening beyond basic cameos

I mean. Sonic can run to whatever city is in SoR 

Unpopular opinion, but I thought the portrayel of Knuckles' abilities were pretty lazy. I hate that they made him "Sonic but strong". 

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Be quite easy and not a stretch to consider a streets of rage movie might be happening in a different state in the same universe

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Unpopular opinion, but I thought the portrayel of Knuckles' abilities were pretty lazy. I hate that they made him "Sonic but strong". 

weebt they different personalities with something in common in regards to their origins 

I'v seen the movie 5 times now. It's sad but also kinda funny that this film has been the only thing that's given me any sort of serotonin this month.

Just watching it with different friends & seeing their reactions to things make it worth it.

Also, 

Spoiler

The way Knuckles says "Dishonor" to Eggman is just funny but powerful to me. Like he's politely telling him he's a b****

Idris Elba is best Knuckles

Some dumb thoughts that I have rn, but: 

Zuko🤝🏾Movie!Knuckles

Constantly talking about Honor & Dishonor.

That's an interaction I need to see.

Zuko: I just want my honor restored, ya know?

Knuckles: Have you done anything to achieve that?

Zuko: ...I've threatened a bunch of people and betrayed the one person who gave a damn about me just for status.

Knuckles: *spits out his grapes, & slams the table* DISHONOR!

Zuko: HONOR!

Knuckles: DISHONOR!

Zuko: HONOR!

Knuckles: DISHONOR!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

He's not the exact same, but if they both have Chaos Energy powers, it'd make sense for them to be similar.

6 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Be quite easy and not a stretch to consider a streets of rage movie might be happening in a different state in the same universe

It could, but there would be no real point to setting up a cinematic universe if it's not building up to something, and a crossover between different Sega properties doesn't really fit together naturally.

3 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

He's not the exact same, but if they both have Chaos Energy powers, it'd make sense for them to be similar.

It could, but there would be no real point to setting up a cinematic universe if it's not building up to something, and a crossover between different Sega properties doesn't really fit together naturally.

Could build up to something but it would be nice to have a shared universe,that doesn’t have to build up to an avengers level threat

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That's another problem I have with the movie. Sonic's powers, his connection the Emerald, are never explained, and the prophetic angle of him being "special" is seemingly brushed aside. 

lol they aren't making the Sega Cinematic Universe. Sega doesn't treat their properties that way in the source material and it's a very short list of Sega properties that can support a film in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

lol they aren't making the Sega Cinematic Universe. Sega doesn't treat their properties that way in the source material and it's a very short list of Sega properties that can support a film in the first place.

- Jet Set Radio

- Nights 

- Crazy Taxi 

- Billy Hatcher

- Samba Amigo

- Super Monkey Ball

I could all see supporting films 

53 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

- Jet Set Radio

- Nights 

- Crazy Taxi 

- Billy Hatcher

- Samba Amigo

- Super Monkey Ball

I could all see supporting films 

None of them are as universally popular as Sonic. Even if films are made, they'd be straight to video.

11 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

None of them are as universally popular as Sonic. Even if films are made, they'd be straight to video.

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

Isn't the whole purpose to try and boost their popularity? I mean, I can't see any harm in it. 

And I do think the film makers are going to rely on that connective tissue of Sonic to push these movies as is and thus bring it back to the video games. 

Mostly just cameos and all that, but hey if they want to, they probably can get more overt in places. 

The biggest problem holding back a universe is that there is no natural build up. An Endgame so to speak. Sure Sonic has plenty of big bad bosses, but what the hell would the Streets of Rage crew have to do with it?

• Thumbs Up 1