Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

15 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

None of them are as universally popular as Sonic. Even if films are made, they'd be straight to video.

I don't know. I think they can be made into theatrical movies, depending on who's working on the films and how much knowledge they have of the games.  Guardians of the Galaxy was an unknown property for many years until they made it into a movie and now, everyone knows who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

- Jet Set Radio

- Nights 

- Crazy Taxi 

- Billy Hatcher

- Samba Amigo

- Super Monkey Ball

I could all see supporting films 

I could see TV shows at best, but not a film made on a $100+ million budget…or even half that.

You have any idea how much they’d need to spend on advertising just to get people interested? It barely managed to work with Sonic because much of the world knows him already.

At this point, I expect there to be a lot of muddy debates going on the development of the Streets of Rage movie, and how overt the Sonic connections should be. Especially if Paramount becomes the distributor. I think if Paramount gets the movie, they will want to lean really hard on the Sonic stuff, which may not gel with the current staff; but the trend these days IS to make film universes, whether they work or not, it doesn't stop studios from trying.

Info about the character seen in the end.:

Spoiler

In a recent interview, Sonic 2 director Jeff Fowler told Polygon about the planned dynamic for Sonic and Shadow in the third film. He said that while everything is in its early stages, Shadow is just a “totally a different character” when compared to Knuckles or Tails. Speaking via Zoom, he said, “I think what fans respond to about him is that he’s a bit more no-nonsense, and definitely very in contrast to the other characters.” Shadow’s presence does suggest a possible new tone for Sonic 3: It wouldn’t make sense to apply the sort of fish-out-of-water humor used with Knuckles to Shadow.

Fowler says teasing Shadow at the end of Sonic 2 was an exciting callback for him. In 2005, he worked on the cinematics for the 2005 video game Shadow the Hedgehog. “It’s amazing to come full circle,” he said. “We were so proud of the cinematics that we created for the game. And it was just three shots at the end of this film, but getting to do a cinematic tease for him was just a dream come true.”

Source

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, PaddyFancy said:

None of them are as universally popular as Sonic. Even if films are made, they'd be straight to video.

Forget universally popular. Most of those were never popular at all.

A Ratchet and Clank movie, a direct tie-in to the best selling game in that flagship Sony franchise, was made on an extremely modest budget and was a complete financial flop anyway; but some distributor is going to front the money for a Super Monkey Ball film?

21 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

Isn't the whole purpose to try and boost their popularity? I mean, I can't see any harm in it. 

No, the whole purpose of a film studio making a movie is to make money on that movie. A film studio couldn't give any less of a shit if a niche game from failed game consoles (Nights, Billy Hatcher, Samba de Amigo, Jet Set Radio) from 20-25 years ago got more exposure to the public as being a thing that existed if they have to spend tens of millions of dollars on it and it comes and goes from theaters faster than you can say Morbius Sweep. Noone is coming to a theater to watch a videogame movie based on a rhythm game from two decades ago game just like no one bought Dreamcasts to play it in the first place.

Here's the list.

Sega has Sonic. Sega has Yakuza. Sega has Persona. Unless someone is going to argue that they will make a game based off of Total War or Football Manager, that's it.

21 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't know. I think they can be made into theatrical movies, depending on who's working on the films and how much knowledge they have of the games.  Guardians of the Galaxy was an unknown property for many years until they made it into a movie and now, everyone knows who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

Guardians of the Galaxy was the 10th movie in the 6th year of the Marvel Cinematic Universe which had already had multiple movies gross over a billion dollars in revenue, adapting a group of characters who already shared common source material in a genre of film where all but the most horrendous movies still have enough popularity to be profitable.

20 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

At this point, I expect there to be a lot of muddy debates going on the development of the Streets of Rage movie, and how overt the Sonic connections should be.

That movie needs to exist first. The fabled Keanu Reeves Cowboy Bebop adaptation was imminent circa 2008. It had a script. It had major studio backing and an A-List star who was ecstatic to be cast in it and already doing the publicity tour. It was going to come out in 2010; an entire timezone further along than "one of the guys who made John Wick is writing a story treatment for it." 12 years later we got Netflix's abortion of a show instead.

Ditto the ADV Evangelion movie that was (deliberately) ran through so much production trouble that ADV went bankrupt. And the Halo movie (a dramatically more popular franchise than Streets of Rage ever was)? Which had a script and a director and a producer and two distribution studios and a budget and carefully crafted "bible" prepared by Bungie and a 2006 release date? Where's that? The 2022 TV adaptation that has cars from the late 90s in the background?

• Thumbs Up 1

Trial and error, with the right marketing and off the rails of a successful video game movie franchise with sonic I don’t see why they can get streets of rage to work with the same movie universe

maybe say the crime family the characters fight got their hands on robotnik tech that they’re ever seen engineer, just small nods

plus not every cinematic universe has to lead up to a big avengers level crossover

Yes, you already said that. It's still most certainly not going to happen; not the least of which being because the movie itself probably isn't actually going to happen.

10 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Yes, you already said that. It's still most certainly not going to happen; not the least of which being because the movie itself probably isn't actually going to happen.

Sorry about repeating myself and I don’t know about never, the success of the sonic movie could mean that sega will have incentive to see this get made if only to see about branching off with movies on other franchises

Sorry if this has already been posted, this just popped up on my YouTube recommendations and is apparently the full version of the absolute banger Emerald Hill music clip that was played early last year when the film title got announced. It’s patchy quality because it was background music to some interview I think and the uploader had to use software to edit out voices. Damn. When it’s played at 1.25 speed settings it really hits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, it doesn't really make any difference if Sega has any incentive or desire to have a movie made about one of their long dead properties. Sega would not be the one who pays for the production of a theatrical movie about Streets of Rage or Super Monkey Ball or Crazy Taxi or NiGHTS or Samba de Amigo or Jet Grind Radio or fucking Billy Hatcher, so Sega isn't the one assuming financial risk if they are a failure and as a result Sega's input on the matter is basically irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Tornado said:

Again, it doesn't really make any difference if Sega has any incentive or desire to have a movie made about one of their long dead properties. Sega would not be the one who pays for the production of a theatrical movie about Streets of Rage or Super Monkey Ball or Crazy Taxi or NiGHTS or Samba de Amigo or Jet Grind Radio or fucking Billy Hatcher, so Sega isn't the one assuming financial risk if they are a failure and as a result Sega's input on the matter is basically irrelevant.

Never said they had to go to things like samba de amigo or Billy Hatcher, doesn’t have to be a full universe with hundred of games put into the universe

they would just have to be careful about what movies they choose

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s not as simple as being careful about what movies they choose. It’s a matter of if it would even work to begin with, and few—if any—of those properties outside of Sonic would come close to just breaking even at the box office to the point it isn’t really worth as much effort to bother making them.

It’s possible, don’t get me wrong—I didn’t have much hope for the Sonic movie even after they fixed his design, but I clearly ate my words when it proved otherwise. But the point is that it is a steep ass mountain to climb to get even a modest success out of a film for those other franchises to even pan out.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Graystripe2000 said:

I'm happy for Bad Guys. If anything  knocks Sonic to number 2, I'm happy it's that because we need more films with such amazing style. 

Here's hoping FB3 falls faster. 

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Thats highest domestic opening, Warcraft is still the highest grossing video game movie.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/sources/based-on-game

I guess we'll see what numbers Sonic 2 will make overall in the box office in the next few months.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bad Guys came out on the same day in the UK and it feels like it just got steamrolled over and never really got a chance to shine, despite seeing TV adverts for it well before the Sonic ones started so not for lack of advertising on Dreamworks’ part. It’s interesting to see what happens in other places where the release dates are a bit more mixed up.

Anyway, thanks to a birthday in my own (found-)family, I got invited along to see Sonic 2 for the 4th time yesterday and while I still love it I’m noticing continuity/visual CGI errors more with each viewing. Things like missing shadows where you can see the line edge of the shadow but not the filled-in part, that I feel (with my zero understanding of CGI) could be fixed fairly easily with a small change and then re-exporting the file, but then I don’t know how likely they are to fix any of that kind of stuff before blu ray release etc.

Re: Sega IPs are too unknown to make money

Almost every single IP, series, or franchise was unknown to audiences at one point. The aforementioned Chronicles of Narnia was unknown until... It wasn't. If the movie looks interesting to audiences, they'll see it. They just have to be made well

NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio specifically have the most cinematic potential, because templates exist for them to follow 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Chronicles of Narnia was unknown until... It wasn't.

Narnia feels like its in a weird position as a series, there's one entry that is really well known and referenced in popular culture and the rest seemingly has no impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Almost every single IP, series, or franchise was unknown to audiences at one point. The aforementioned Chronicles of Narnia was unknown until... It wasn't. If the movie looks interesting to audiences, they'll see it. They just have to be made well

NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio specifically have the most cinematic potential, because templates exist for them to follow 

Can't say I agree to some extent. I never heard of Prince Caspian or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 'Chronicles' entries until the Hollywood movie adaptations were coming out, but I'm pretty sure that most people will have already known about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Before I finished primary school in 2000, I had seen two different TV adaptations in class. There was also a scene in the British sitcom from 1982 called The Young Ones. A series known among other things for its pop culture references. This scene had Vyvyan play hide and seek inside a wardrobe, finds himself in a Narnia-like world and a witch tries to have him eat Turkish Delight.

I think the first entry in the Chronicles of Narnia series was already well known enough before Hollywood got their hands on it. Also kinda helps that the Chronicles do have a lot of the same characters overlapping each book, Aslan in particular.

I should note that the BBC did do TV adaptations of the first four books ending in The Silver Chair. Not hearing a lot of action recently about Hollywood continuing with the series 12 years after Dawn Treader.

11 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Almost every single IP, series, or franchise was unknown to audiences at one point. The aforementioned Chronicles of Narnia was unknown

Fucking never. If you need to pull this justification out of your ass about how some studio should violate all common sense and pour a hundred million dollars into franchises largely ignored when they were new decades ago, try an example as a point of comparison that isn't one of the most well known pieces of children's literature of the past hundred years; frequently held up as the younger reader's equivalent of Lord of the Rings.

You'll still be wrong, but you'll look much less laughably foolish.

• Thumbs Up 2