Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

So Jim Carrey is leaving the Robotnik for a while, and its's not entirely clear whether he's coming back?

Does this mean he wont be in Sonic The Hedgehog 3?

Dreams Come True are doing the Japanese credits theme, basically a recreation of the Green Hill Zone theme but with Lyrics.

Spoiler

I actually kind of like Stars in the Sky more, if only because I'm quite sick of Green HIll Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everybody is here at the premiere!:

Unfortunately, Ben couldn't make it over because he was currently filming a movie in New Orleans.:

Also, some promotions from Brazil, Portugal, and the UK.:

• Thumbs Up 1

UK promotion has been poor this time. Not seen any posters or displays, no kids boxes for popcorn/drinks, the happy meals (at least near me) are still promoting DreamWorks. 

12 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Is this more or less of the first movie's budget?

The same. The first movie had 90 million as well.

1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The same. The first movie had 90 million as well.

Interesting. I thought that the second movie would have more money in the budget.

3 hours ago, Stasis said:

UK promotion has been poor this time. Not seen any posters or displays, no kids boxes for popcorn/drinks, the happy meals (at least near me) are still promoting DreamWorks. 

I've seen a lot of it. Plenty of bus ads, a massive billboard near Earls Court station in London, just to name a few. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stasis said:

I’ve seen it advertised loads on the TV channels in my house (Pop! kids channel have been practically running trailers/tv spots every 2 ad breaks for the last 2-3 weeks, much to the delight of my 6 year old, and I also spotted tv ads on E4 when watching my shows). Also it’s been on the side of a fair few buses (Bath/Bristol area) going past my road and also was on digital displays in a Bristol shopping centre the one time I went out recently. I still work from home thanks to the pandemic and I’ve still seen it advertised a lot on the handful of times I’ve been out the house whether its on buses or displays.

I think the Dreamworks Happy Meal run ends this week (I did think it ran until 5 April, but might have been off by a day or two) but the Sonic ones are imminent. I’m near a McDonalds tomorrow anyway on a rare work trip out so will dip in and check if it’s Sonic yet :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic toys are out at the McDonald's in the US and advertising has been fairly noticable. 

Seen a lot of merch moving through as well. Huge influx of Sonic toys and backpacks. 

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

That seems like an exponentially bad idea to do Sonic without his arch enemy but hey that's why I don't get Hollywood money I guess.

Well, movie franchises typically don't have the same antagonist for every movie, so this was inevitable. It's not like Sonic doesn't have other antagonists that will make great villains. We have Neo Metal, Starline, the Nocturnus Clan, Mephiles, Eggman Nega, and others that could take his place as the main villain.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Well, movie franchises typically don't have the same antagonist for every movie, so this was inevitable. It's not like Sonic doesn't have other antagonists that will make great villains. We have Neo Metal, Starline, the Nocturnus Clan, Mephiles, Eggman Nega, and others that could take his place as the main villain.

I’d actually love to see the Nocturnus Clan on screen. Since it would prove once and for all that Blenders doesn’t own Shade. Lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

I’d actually love to see the Nocturnus Clan on screen. Since it would prove once and for all that Blenders doesn’t own Shade. Lol.

Well they got 

Spoiler

Knuckles's father

in the movie, so who knows?

I've seen the movie twice, and I absolutely loved it! Is it perfect? Heck no, but man, this movie gives me an euphoria I can't explain!

I really hope this movie succeeds in the box office, or at the very least cones close to making just a little bit more than the first film

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I’ve seen it twice too, and I’m going to see it a third time this weekend. First time I went with just my OH (we wanted to just enjoy it without my 6yo distracting us XD ), then we took our 6yo for our second time. She’s now fully converted to the Sonic fandom (woop!) and wants to go back and watch it a second time so why not. I’ve never seen a movie three times at the cinema before but I’m not complaining. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I saw it. And am gonna see it a second time. I absolutely loved it. Some parts dragged and others were underdeveloped but I gotta say, those high moments were awesome. And thankfully, a lot of the low moments were separated enough from the plot that you could skip them on a repeat watch. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Friday Update: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is off to an excellent running start with $6.25 million from domestic previews on Wednesday and Thursday.

Comparisons are apples and oranges with non-traditional Wednesday previews in the mix, plus the lack of family-driven titles recently, but for context that figure outstrips the recent takes of Morbius ($5.7 million) and Uncharted ($3.7 million), both of which played on Thursday only. The first Sonic took in $3.0 million from Thursday-only shows in February 2020 as part of its $58 million opening frame.

While Paramount has not confirmed, all indications are that the bulk of Sonic 2‘s $6.25 million was earned on Thursday evening. Unofficial sources report that share is between $4.5 million and $5 million.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-forecast-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-may-break-out-as-ambulance-and-everything-everywhere-all-at-once-counter-program/

• Thumbs Up 3

The first movie was a $2.5 million for the preview haul wasn't it? That's a huge jump if so. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Paramount has shown excellent judgement in finding release windows for these movies. Between that and strong ad pushes they are being given every chance to succeed. 

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Paramount has shown excellent judgement in finding release windows for these movies. Between that and strong ad pushes they are being given every chance to succeed. 

To be fair, the fact their competition is looking so mediocre is on WB and Sony. 

But huge plus that there's no marvel movies coming out until the end of the month. By the time Dr. Strange comes out, Sonic 2 will have done everything it wanted to do. 

27 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

To be fair, the fact their competition is looking so mediocre is on WB and Sony. 

But huge plus that there's no marvel movies coming out until the end of the month. By the time Dr. Strange comes out, Sonic 2 will have done everything it wanted to do. 

There's an irony to this regarding Sony, having originally had the rights and even initially produced the first film. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

I posted my full thoughts in the spoiler thread but in summary, I liked this way more than the first movie. It did drag at times, especially the scenes in Hawaii (except for one part which I did think was very funny!) but the action and interactions with Sonic & Friends were great. Really liked the lore implications as well. Dr Robotnik and Agent Stone were great…

Obviously Knuckles was the highlight, really cool but also funny as hell. And while he wasn’t exactly “smart” I don’t think he was an idiot, just a bit simple. ^^

THIS is how Knuckles should be written. SEGA/Sonic Team, take notes! One of the things that should definitely be introduced in the videogames. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Obviously Knuckles was the highlight, really cool but also funny as hell. And while he wasn’t exactly “smart” I don’t think he was an idiot, just a bit simple. ^^

THIS is how Knuckles should be written. SEGA/Sonic Team, take notes! One of the things that should definitely be introduced in the videogames. 

No actual spoilers for any plot events, just a general run-down of Knuckles' character in the film. 

Spoiler

They really did Knuckles justice in a way I don't think any other medium has achieved in a long time. This particular interpretation of him ticks all the boxes: he can go toe-to-toe with Sonic, he's bound to a sense of honour and duty and he's incredibly naive. They managed to make Knuckles stoic and threatening without having him be a a Shadow clone. And he's clearly not the smartest of the bunch, but he's not an idiot. His shtick is that he comes from a different world with a very different way of thinking. He's great. I loved him and can't wait to see his TV series. 

Would this approach work in the games though? Perhaps not entirely, but there are definitely some big lessons to be learned. His dedication to being honourable and fulfilling his duty is a pivotal character trait. It was pretty much forgotten about after the Adventure games. 

The movies aren't really my ideals for the Sonic series. But as an adaptation of the games, remade for a different format and attempting to repurpose existing lore and characters for its entirely unique take... Yeah, I like it. It's authentic and familiar, but it's not a soulless rehash nor is it a totally alien reboot that's Sonic in name only. I did not expect to the films to turn out this way at all. 

Still not a huge fan of Sonic's redesign though. There's no reason for him to look so different to the games, which have a far better look for him. Sue me. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1