Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

Yeah that’s fine. Of course I don’t want the exact same Knuckles in the videogames haha, but just take some of those elements from the movie franchise. Knuckles was not as dumb and goofy in Sonic Forces, but he still seemed pretty soulless. Just give him a good personality, like the Adventure games! 

The movie version of Sonic can stay in the movies however, not sure if I’d like to see that particular interpretation in the games. 😅 it’s fine for what it is and he’s snarky and saying cheesy catchphrases but yeah, too kiddy. And his design is whatever. Guess they gave him blue arms cos fleshy skin arms would be weird? I dunno. But yeah, keep this version of Sonic away from the games. 

29 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

This isn't in the movie so not spoiler-y.

Oh wow, okay! I’ve been interested to see what (if any) differences there are between the book and the movie so I might give it a read.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jeff would love to make a Smash Bros movie. This is pretty much similar to the Detective Pikachu writers who would also love to make one a few years ago.:

Here are their responses.:

Jeff Fowler:

"Nothing would make me happier than to just throw all the characters into a battle royale and do a big Smash Bros. thing. That would probably require some work from the lawyers before that could happen," Fowler said, contemplating what it would involve. "Getting Mario and Sonic in the ring, I mean everyone would be kinda dying for that, right? That's just classic."

Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit (Detective Pikachu):

"I think that the key to doing anything like that is to make sure that the other introductory movies are sensational. It’d be a dream to write something like Legend of Zelda, but before you can get to that Smash Bros stage you have to write the best damn version of The Legend of Zelda that you possibly can. And the same with Mario, the same with Kirby, the same with Star Fox." - Dan Hernandez

"Avengers: Endgame is only as good as it is because we loved all of those characters individually, so when it came together it was just magic. And I think that’s how you have to approach the Smash Bros." - Benji Samit

Also, Tails' voice actor want to see Amy in the next movie.:

It seems like we're on our way to a big cinematic universe with Sonic. Do you see yourself continuing to play Tails as long as you can? Is there something you'd love to see in a future movie that we haven't seen yet?

Colleen O'Shaughnessey: I will do it as long as they will have me. I would love to see Amy come in at some point.

I don't know, I'm so excited to see what they've got cooking because I know they've got these things in development. And I'm always the last person to know, but I can't wait to see what they're coming up with. Because they're so clever, and they're so smart about the way that they've done all of this so far. I can't wait to see where it's headed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Jeff would love to make a Smash Bros movie. This is pretty much similar to the Detective Pikachu writers who would also love to make one a few years ago.:

Here are their responses.:

Jeff Fowler:

"Nothing would make me happier than to just throw all the characters into a battle royale and do a big Smash Bros. thing. That would probably require some work from the lawyers before that could happen," Fowler said, contemplating what it would involve. "Getting Mario and Sonic in the ring, I mean everyone would be kinda dying for that, right? That's just classic."

Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit (Detective Pikachu):

"I think that the key to doing anything like that is to make sure that the other introductory movies are sensational. It’d be a dream to write something like Legend of Zelda, but before you can get to that Smash Bros stage you have to write the best damn version of The Legend of Zelda that you possibly can. And the same with Mario, the same with Kirby, the same with Star Fox." - Dan Hernandez

"Avengers: Endgame is only as good as it is because we loved all of those characters individually, so when it came together it was just magic. And I think that’s how you have to approach the Smash Bros." - Benji Samit

Also, Tails' voice actor want to see Amy in the next movie.:

It seems like we're on our way to a big cinematic universe with Sonic. Do you see yourself continuing to play Tails as long as you can? Is there something you'd love to see in a future movie that we haven't seen yet?

Colleen O'Shaughnessey: I will do it as long as they will have me. I would love to see Amy come in at some point.

I don't know, I'm so excited to see what they've got cooking because I know they've got these things in development. And I'm always the last person to know, but I can't wait to see what they're coming up with. Because they're so clever, and they're so smart about the way that they've done all of this so far. I can't wait to see where it's headed.

I wonder if they could make a Smash Bros Movie.  They would have to get permission from Nintendo to use their characters to do so.

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder if they could make a Smash Bros Movie.  They would have to get permission from Nintendo to use their characters to do so.

Yeah, they would probably have to. However, I don't see a Smash Bros movie happening anytime soon.

Also, I remember that Sony which was the studio that used to have the rights to the Sonic movie want to make a Smash Bros movie back in 2015. However, that probably likely scrapped.:

Well, guys, we made it, the movie finally came. It was nice interacting with everyone and i'm going to see the movie later today. Thank you for all your contributions😁.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I really don't want a Smash Bros movie. I'd rather just see the Sonic universe develop on it's own rather than try to blend it with a bunch of random franchises. Although, ironically, if a Super Smash Bros movie ever did get made, Sonic would be the biggest draw to it for mainstream audiences, even though he's barely in the actual games.

18 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I really don't want a Smash Bros movie. I'd rather just see the Sonic universe develop on it's own rather than try to blend it with a bunch of random franchises. Although, ironically, if a Super Smash Bros movie ever did get made, Sonic would be the biggest draw to it for mainstream audiences, even though he's barely in the actual games.

Yeah but it would be hype anyway because of all these characters. But for me, I would like a new story mode in a future Smash game first. And I mean an actual one like Subspace Emissary.

6 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

$69Million... Nice!

I do wonder if this movie will make over $1 billion at the box office.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wish, But it's unlikely. The first movie didn't do so well in Asian markets like China and Japan. No surprise since Sonic has never been popular in Japan especially.

Admittedly, COVID didn't help but still.

9 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oof that’s not likely, it’ll do well but not THAT well. 😅

It might end up doing better than Detective Pikachu’s worldwide gross, but not sure if it can reach the highest grossing video game movie which is…Warcraft. as long as it beats Morbius and especially Fantastic Beasts 3, I’m happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ben posted this picture of a test scene that he did.:

I like that they used the Sonic 06 logo. Jeff Fowler did work on the animations for the game.

Also, the test scene seem to be this. They filmed it in Utah.:

29 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Please don't let us be unrealistic here. No video game movie has cross $500 million in the box office. And only a select number of movies have ever raked in $1 billion. I say if Sonic raked in $500 million I'd be a big accomplishment all on its own, and within reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-3-wont-recast-jim-carreys-robotnik-if-he-follows-through-with-retirement-ideas/1100-6502281/

Seems like it's not a sure thing for Jim Carrey to return as Robotnik/Eggman in Sonic 3 after all. I had assumed there may have been a contract for the third movie already in place before he announced his retirement, but with the producers mentioning there's a place for him if he decides to return, and that they hope with as much fun as he had with the character he wouldn't want to walk away from it perhaps that's not the case.

They mention not recasting and they wouldn't even try too, so would Stone become the new threat, or will they perhaps pull some other bad guy from the history of the series perhaps? Eggman is a huge irreplaceable part of the Sonic DNA, the movies already feel like they only just skirt being "Sonic" enough, if they lost the use off Eggman via Jim Carrey's retirement and not wanting to recast the part either I'm not sure how that would bode for the movie series.

https://www.slashfilm.com/827339/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-beats-ambulance-to-all-the-gold-rings-in-opening-weekend/

I'm not really surprised that Sonic beat Ambulance since Ambulance is a R rated film, while Sonic is a PG rated family film.  But, I'm glad to see that Sonic is doing well in the box office and I hope that this movie makes more than the first one!

Ooh la la! What a epic movie! Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was awesome! I loved the Siberian dance off, and Movie Sonic's pooting dummy was hilarious! I agree, he should have used real toots!

Edited by Toon Disney
Mistook enter for delete
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Zulon Eredas said:

And like I said in the other topic, good luck Ken I hope you lose. Big time.  

Paramount is not going to take this guy seriously if he’s thinking of taking them to court about two small scenes in the movie featuring echidnas that are only ever so slightly related to whatever his OCs were back in the day. They’re more like the ones from SA1 anyway!

Ffs, I really hope he doesn’t get anywhere with this. He will fail, and it’ll be glorious! 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

It might end up doing better than Detective Pikachu’s worldwide gross, but not sure if it can reach the highest grossing video game movie which is…Warcraft. as long as it beats Morbius and especially Fantastic Beasts 3, I’m happy. 

On the topic of earnings, its worth noting that the Sonic movie is significantly lower budget than Detective Pikachu, Warcraft and especially FB3.

When you compare budget to gross, the first Sonic movie actually has all those movies soundly beat in return-on-investment, and the second movie seems well on its way to surpassing even that.

• Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

On the topic of earnings, its worth noting that the Sonic movie is significantly lower budget than Detective Pikachu, Warcraft and especially FB3.

When you compare budget to gross, the first Sonic movie actually has all those movies soundly beat in return-on-investment, and the second movie seems well on its way to surpassing even that.

Yeah, I would say that alone is what makes it the winner over Detective Pikachu despite it grossing more, the other thing to consider is that had the Sonic movie released earlier in China (two weeks earlier like in the US) and other parts of the world before Covid really hit then it probably would have passed the grossing mark of Detective Pikachu which I think is all the more why Paramount must be so confident in it enough to announce the 3rd movie + the Knuckles show when the 2nd movie wasn't even out yet. The streaming numbers for the 1st movie must have also been a indicator for them to make the call to go in on it as well in doubling down on the Sonic Cinematic Universe.

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-3-wont-recast-jim-carreys-robotnik-if-he-follows-through-with-retirement-ideas/1100-6502281/

Seems like it's not a sure thing for Jim Carrey to return as Robotnik/Eggman in Sonic 3 after all. I had assumed there may have been a contract for the third movie already in place before he announced his retirement, but with the producers mentioning there's a place for him if he decides to return, and that they hope with as much fun as he had with the character he wouldn't want to walk away from it perhaps that's not the case.

They mention not recasting and they wouldn't even try too, so would Stone become the new threat, or will they perhaps pull some other bad guy from the history of the series perhaps? Eggman is a huge irreplaceable part of the Sonic DNA, the movies already feel like they only just skirt being "Sonic" enough, if they lost the use off Eggman via Jim Carrey's retirement and not wanting to recast the part either I'm not sure how that would bode for the movie series.

Just how can they do a Sonic movie without Eggman? Granted, it is possible, but it would not be the same. Do they really need Jim Carrey to do Eggman? Is it that hard to recast the role? I mean, given the kind of actor Jim Carrey is, he could be difficult enough to replace, but I really hope they do something to include Eggman in the next film if Jim Carrey actually retires.

Jim Carrey is a legend, but I think Sonic's movie success was due to the characters being strong, not because there are famous actors. I really think Sonic characters are, like Batman characters, stronger than the actors who play them. It would be difficult to replace Jim Carrey, but not impossible.

I don't think Paramount would cancel Sonic cinematic movie because Jim Carrey is leaving. Every studio nowadays is begging to have a successful franchise. Now that Paramount has one, would they just cancel everything? Maybe the producers are not willing to try to replace Jim Carrey, but the Paramount higher ups that make the decision anyway.

Edited by light-gaia
Grammar checking