Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So he was asked if that shrine we saw in the trailer was Angel Island and refused to say? That's suspicious...

Probably a major plot point in the film he doesn't want to reveal yet.  Speaking of the trailer, even though it was a really good trailer, there's still a lot of questions I have about what this film is really about and yet, that just gets me more excited for the movie!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ken Penders at least jokingly suggested Ian write a Sonic movie and while I am big fan of his writing on the Sonic comics despite the guidelines he has to work under I am a bit hesitating about that or getting hi to write for the movie tie in comics.

Movie Sonic is different from the normal depictions in that he is more fast talking, childish while still being heroic and brave. Sonic’s depiction in the Ian penned story in the Classics comic was different from the story in the same comic where he took a driving test to join a race with lifetime chilli dogs as a prize.

1 minute ago, Slashy said:

Excited to see the romantic subplot in the third film with Amy.

I personally don’t really want to see her in the movies as I am not a fan no offence to her fans. Plus we don’t know if we will see her in the movies.

can I ask if anyone has thought about alternative love interest ideas for the movies?

if not Sally since Sega is reluctant to use her now, how about Blaze?

26 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

Sonic 2’s going to have a bit of competition in April, as Ambulance got moved to Sonic’s release date. 

https://deadline.com/2021/12/ambulance-release-date-change-jake-gyllenhaal-movie-1234891420/

I was about to ask you what the rating of Ambulance is, because if it's rated R, then the Sonic movie might still be fine since the Sonic movie will have a more general audience than Ambulance.  However, I also saw that Michael Bay is directing the film, so that might be a problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So he was asked if that shrine we saw in the trailer was Angel Island and refused to say? That's suspicious...

Mmhhh...Mysterious mysteries...

• Thumbs Up 5

I throughly believe Sally with be revived at some point but highly doubtful for the movies.

I’m sure they want to introduce a female character but Amy makes the most sense. She consistently appears in the games and can be used for some comedy by flirting with Sonic. She even has a distinct weapon. I like Amy though so I have no problem with using her.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I throughly believe Sally with be revived at some point but highly doubtful for the movies.

I’m sure they want to introduce a female character but Amy makes the most sense. She consistently appears in the games and can be used for some comedy by flirting with Sonic. She even has a distinct weapon. I like Amy though so I have no problem with using her.

I don't mind them using Amy either. I can see them possibly tweaking up her character a bit so that her only motive in the film is to flirt over Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I was about to ask you what the rating of Ambulance is, because if it's rated R, then the Sonic movie might still be fine since the Sonic movie will have a more general audience than Ambulance.  However, I also saw that Michael Bay is directing the film, so that might be a problem.

I have no clue what the rating is. 

UPDATE: It’s R.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Graystripe2000 said:

I have no clue what the rating is. 

UPDATE: It’s R.

Oh okay. So, the Sonic movie sequel shouldn't have a problem with competing with this movie.  I probably would have been more concerned if a Marvel, Disney or Illumination movie had aired on the same day since they would be family movies competing with another family film.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think Super Sonic isn't going to be in the movie simply because they confirmed the emerald is the Master Emerald. There are no chaos emeralds as of now.

Plus now I think the leaks were definitely fake. They talked about a lot of incorrect things like Eggman being less present, Knuckles having a redemption arc, Metal Sonic and classic badniks, a Death Egg Robot. 

Robotnik is 100% present in this movie as much as the first.

Knuckles will probably not have a redemption arc, because he isn't evil, just tricked by Eggman.

Classic badniks are just the drones from the first one with buzzbombers being updated drones. 

It's a Knuckles story as stated by Fowler, I don't believe Metal will fit in here.

What else? One of the leaks mentioned a Maddie brother subplot. If they were referring to the new character, it's not her brother but obviously her sister's husband because they are at their wedding.

So leaks deconfirmed, good news, we have a whole movie to discover.

1 hour ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I think Super Sonic isn't going to be in the movie simply because they confirmed the emerald is the Master Emerald. There are no chaos emeralds as of now.

Plus now I think the leaks were definitely fake. They talked about a lot of incorrect things like Eggman being less present, Knuckles having a redemption arc, Metal Sonic and classic badniks, a Death Egg Robot. 

Knuckles will probably not have a redemption arc, because he isn't evil, just tricked by Eggman.

Classic badniks are just the drones from the first one with buzzbombers being updated drones. 

It's a Knuckles story as stated by Fowler, I don't believe Metal will fit in here.

What else? One of the leaks mentioned a Maddie brother subplot. If they were referring to the new character, it's not her brother but obviously her sister's husband because they are at their wedding.

Well I have seen leaks saying that it’s her wedding so we will see and I don’t think this is entirely his story since it’s also sonic and tails forming their bond 

plus knuckles may do need a redemption arc since tricked or not he will still be working with a bad guy

6 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

That's why I don't take leaks at face value, unless the company themselves were the ones who leaked the information, like how Paramount themselves leaked out the set photos before the movie's release.  As for some of these leaks, I can see a redemption arc for Knuckles in terms of making up for being tricked by Robotnik and it could be possible for Maddie to have a brother, but he is being played by someone else.

6 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

The Master Emerald has given character Super Forms multiple times. Super Mecha Sonic in S3&K, Super Metal/Super Neo Metal in Mania & IDW, and Super Sonic in Archie. It's not common but it happens.

New Tails renders. Weird that they still use Sonic's old renders from the first movie. I guess they want to save money for other stuff.:

Here are the release dates of the video game movies that are coming out next year. Sonic 2 look to be the best video game movie of 2022.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, the movie is different from Sonic Team who does the stuff for the games, but the Sonic franchise in the last decade or so had a tendency to reuse. Obviously they cost money to make, but I think specifically for Sonic they need a touch up in some cases. 

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The Master Emerald has given character Super Forms multiple times. Super Mecha Sonic in S3&K, Super Metal/Super Neo Metal in Mania & IDW, and Super Sonic in Archie. It's not common but it happens.

Even still it might not be something that the filmmakers wanted to address right now. 

Maybe for a fans it's going to be awesome but for a general audience it just might be a little too much at least going into a second movie. Don't be surprised what constitutes as too weird for normies.

Besides it would make a great hook for the 3rd movie.

56 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Even still it might not be something that the filmmakers wanted to address right now. 

Maybe for a fans it's going to be awesome but for a general audience it just might be a little too much at least going into a second movie. Don't be surprised what constitutes as too weird for normies.

Besides it would make a great hook for the 3rd movie.

Remember, they were originally planning Super Sonic and Knuckles for the first movie. Besides, I think we crossed the weirdness event horizon with helicopter foxes, electric speedster hedgehogs, and magic portal rings that grow in size. The idea of a mystic artifact giving characters a power boost, especially one that's already iconic to casual audiences, isn't that odd.

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

New Tails renders. Weird that they still use Sonic's old renders from the first movie. I guess they want to save money for other stuff.:

Here are the release dates of the video game movies that are coming out next year. Sonic 2 look to be the best video game movie of 2022.

NGL I'll be legitimately amazed if the other two are anything less than shallow garbage.

4 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Remember, they were originally planning Super Sonic and Knuckles for the first movie. Besides, I think we crossed the weirdness event horizon with helicopter foxes, electric speedster hedgehogs, and magic portal rings that grow in size. The idea of a mystic artifact giving characters a power boost, especially one that's already iconic to casual audiences, isn't that odd.

Knuckles is different. Casuals already know there are other animal creatures, and his inclusion in the first movie would have just made things complex. 

Super forms are just a step too far as a plot convenience to curbstomp a fight near the climax. There's a reason they aren't used very often in the comics because Super forms when applied poorly just come off as a cop out to resolve a conflict. And to an audience who may not be familiar with them, that is especially jarring. And a less than two hour film isn't enough for prepping for sudden DBZ. 

Its one thing for maybe, a giant water monster or falling space station to prompt Super forms. But for only the 2nd movie? Nah. 

And even then, saving for a potential third movie allows for it to be an even bigger deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Knuckles is different. Casuals already know there are other animal creatures, and his inclusion in the first movie would have just made things complex. 

Super forms are just a step too far as a plot convenience to curbstomp a fight near the climax. There's a reason they aren't used very often in the comics because Super forms when applied poorly just come off as a cop out to resolve a conflict. And to an audience who may not be familiar with them, that is especially jarring. And a less than two hour film isn't enough for prepping for sudden DBZ. 

Its one thing for maybe, a giant water monster or falling space station to prompt Super forms. But for only the 2nd movie? Nah. 

And even then, saving for a potential third movie allows for it to be an even bigger deal. 

I think you're assuming how the super forms would be used and not giving audiences enough credit. And yes, them appearing in the third part would be a grand introduction, but the movies can't hold their cards for too long lest the movies get cancelled before they reach their full potential, and it seems like a long wait for such an iconic part of the series. Having Super Sonic introduced before Chaos and Shadow makes us understand the true potential of the emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CertifiedNobody said:

I think you're assuming how the super forms would be used and not giving audiences enough credit. And yes, them appearing in the third part would be a grand introduction, but the movies can't hold their cards for too long lest the movies get cancelled before they reach their full potential, and it seems like a long wait for such an iconic part of the series. Having Super Sonic introduced before Chaos and Shadow makes us understand the true potential of the emeralds.

It took how many years of Marvel movies before casuals were able to get into the whole Infinity Stone plot? Or the concept of parallel universes. Some things just don't sell themselves well as an introduction to a series.  

You're also assuming the series will be canceled before a third movie which is looking to be less than likely considering this initial reception. 

The series can hold off on Super forms and still be hype all the same. Sonic doesn't need them to be awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Not to mention, if they introduce the Super Form at the end of the movie, then it would make Knuckles' and Tails' presence in the film less relevant.  According to the leaked footage, it seems that Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are going to be fighting Dr. Robotnik together. So, having Sonic go super all of a sudden would just make the teamwork between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles seem pointless, unless they go super as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

It took how many years of Marvel movies before casuals were able to get into the whole Infinity Stone plot? Or the concept of parallel universes.

Sonic is already introducing weird ideas at a much faster rate than the MCU did.

Some things just don't sell themselves well as an introduction to a series.  

Super Sonic was introduced only a year after Sonic's creation and appeared very early on in Archie and Fleetway.

You're also assuming the series will be canceled before a third movie which is looking to be less than likely considering this initial reception.

No, I'm just saying that they shouldn't hold off on good ideas if they don't know that they'll get the chance to use them in the future.

35 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The series can hold off on Super forms and still be hype all the same. Sonic doesn't need them to be awesome. 

He doesn't, but it seems wasteful, and reduced the impact of a lot of stories that were created with the idea that Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic are established concepts in the narrative.

4 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

unless they go super as well

Well yeah. That's what I think should happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Sonic is already introducing weird ideas at a much faster rate than the MCU did.

Super Sonic was introduced only a year after Sonic's creation and appeared very early on in Archie and Fleetway.

No, I'm just saying that they shouldn't hold off on good ideas if they don't know that they'll get the chance to use them in the future.

He doesn't, but it seems wasteful, and reduced the impact of a lot of stories that were created with the idea that Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic are established concepts in the narrative.

Well yeah. That's what I think should happen.

Sonic 1 just introduced an alien blue hedgehog, which really isn't that off from say, mutants (X-men) and mad scientists (Spiderman 2). The story of the first movie is very basic in ideas. 

The second movie is using 2 new animal characters and some magic power gem which really isn't weird. Really for casuals the most mysterious concept is the Master Emerald, which most really casual people are just seeing as a big power source, not some DBZ power up. 

Its still very basic as far as superhero oddities come. 

As for Super Sonic's first appearance. He showed up as the penultimate unlockable most players wouldn't acquire. He didn't even get dedicated promo art for him until Sonic Shuffle. 

In Sonic Archie, he is introduced as a gamey concept with the comic jokingly telling readers to use their genesis controllers. After that, he goes unused for another 20 something issues. 

In STC he was heavily modified because the main writer saw him as a huge cop-out concept and gave him serious drawbacks. 

And even still, he only showed up once in a blue moon. 

Even with the game accurate Sonic X, he only shows up four times. Two of which was during game adaptations. 

He's just not a concept that is supposed to be thrown around like a get out of jail free card, or the conflict dissolves from there. 

• Thumbs Up 1