Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

Some movie focused moments from the latest investor's meeting.

Q Is there any other SEGA owned IP that could take strategic IP roll-out similar to Sonic?

As for the potential other than Sonic IP, in terms of licensing and merchandising, IPs which we are
receiving a lot of offers at the moment, are Persona and Project Sekai. I think we can continue to further
roll-out aggressively for these IPs in the future. However, we don’t expect they will grow to the IP that
can reach to hundreds of millions of people, at the similar scale with Sonic, at this moment.

In addition, Super Monkey Ball, which we released the remake this year, has a history of recorded
millions of downloads once when it was released as a launch title in App Store, and is very popular
especially in the U.S., so we may see the possibility of the roll-out in video and merchandising. The
offer for making video and remake of past IP is increasing significantly following the success of Sonic
movie. We are considering revitalizing the revival of dormant IPs in the future, including the possibility of
working with other partners.

Q: Can you share the possibility of strengthening the monetization of Sonic IP further in order to increase
profits, such as merchandising, movies and etc?

A In terms of contribution to the profits, we think the games will be the main. We’d like to proceed the
major new title for global and multi-platform in game area. Referring to the recent environment, the
number of movie viewers we reached has increased significantly due to the global hit of the movie and
the following subscription roll-out of it, and if you include mobile and other businesses, the IP has been
able to reach the scale like hundreds of millions of people. As the effect of hit of the movie, the
situations in which parents and children of two generations can enjoy Sonic IP together is increasing, so
we think it is important to release high-quality games at this timing. For the expansion other that the
game, we believe that it is principle to work with partners who are reliable and can provide high quality
products and services.

As for animation we are working on with Netflix, we can roll out this with very low risk as the Sonic IP is
strong. Towards the release of sequel movie, which is scheduled to be released in April, we expect the
increase of view of the previous movie via subscription, etc. and will boost revenue again. The licensing
business including merchandising has already become a scale of tens of billions of yen on a retail sales
price basis, and its roll-out in EU and NA is expanding considerably. On the other hand, we still have lot
of challenges in Asia market including Japan, so we want to focus our efforts over the next year when
we release the new game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did an commercial idea because Sonic Drive-In could possibly doing an promotion for the movie. They pinned their response.:

Also, found this.:

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

More competition for sonic. This time against Möbius, which’ll be in it’s second week. https://www.ign.com/articles/morbius-delayed-to-april-2022

Ah, hell. That might be a problem, as even Sony's (vastly inferior) solo Marvel movies somehow manage to make bank.

So... what we reckon? Can't see Paramount delaying Top Gun: Yes, This STILL Isn't Out Yet any more, so... July 4th? Is that clear?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Graystripe2000 said:

More competition for sonic. This time against Möbius, which’ll be in it’s second week. https://www.ign.com/articles/morbius-delayed-to-april-2022

Lol. The movie was going to be released a few weeks from now.  I don't think I shouldn't be surprised because of Covid.  I guess Morbius is the new The New Mutants. That movie was delayed so many times until it was finally released a few years ago.

BTW, I know Charmy Bee isn't going to appear in the movie universe probably not anytime soon. Maybe we could see him along with Vector and Espio in an third or fourth sequel. Do you think they will just get Colleen to voice him as well, since she is also the voice actor of him, or they will get a new voice actor for him?

401980-charmybee.png

I could see her voicing him as well just for Paramount to save money.

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Lol. The movie was going to be released a few weeks from now.  I don't think I shouldn't be surprised because of Covid.  I guess Morbius is the new The New Mutants. That movie was delayed so many times until it was finally released a few years ago.

BTW, I know Charmy Bee isn't going to appear in the movie universe probably not anytime soon. Maybe we could see him along with Vector and Espio in an third or fourth sequel. Do you think they will just get Colleen to voice him as well, since she is also the voice actor of him, or they will get a new voice actor for him?

401980-charmybee.png

I could see her voicing him as well just for Paramount to save money.

Oh man. I was looking forward to watching Morbius this month. I wonder why they delayed to April though?  Why not to February or something like that?  And will this affect the Sonic movie sequel's box office to have Morbius alongside it?  Are there that many people who are more interested in watching Morbius than Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Graystripe2000 said:

That typo couldn't have been more perfect...

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Ah, hell. That might be a problem, as even Sony's (vastly inferior) solo Marvel movies somehow manage to make bank.

So... what we reckon? Can't see Paramount delaying Top Gun: Yes, This STILL Isn't Out Yet any more, so... July 4th? Is that clear?

Morbius isn't going to affect Sonic much, if at all. More people care about Sonic than an obscure Spider-Man villain, and the two movies seem to have very different audiences in mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh man. I was looking forward to watching Morbius this month. I wonder why they delayed to April though?  Why not to February or something like that?  And will this affect the Sonic movie sequel's box office to have Morbius alongside it?  Are there that many people who are more interested in watching Morbius than Sonic?

According to this report, they delayed it because of the Spider-Man success. Also, it's funny that the movie is delayed to April 1st which is April Fools.:

Also, the first trailer was dropped on January 13, 2020. They ended up did some reshoots on February 2020. The movie was supposed to be released on July 20, 2020. However, Covid affect the release date and it ended up getting delayed so many times. They ended up doing more reshoots in February 2021. It will be 2 years since the first trailer had been dropped.:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That typo couldn't have been more perfect...

Morbius isn't going to affect Sonic much, if at all. More people care about Sonic than an obscure Spider-Man villain, and the two movies seem to have very different audiences in mind.

I guess you're right.  Not to mention, Morbius has been delayed so many times at this point that I bet that many people are starting to lose interest.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I guess you're right.  Not to mention, Morbius has been delayed so many times at this point that I bet that many people are starting to lose interest.

I forgot it existed until the new trailer came out. The movie definitely lost a lot of momentum with these delays.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I forgot it existed until the new trailer came out. The movie definitely lost a lot of momentum with these delays.

Me too. I also forgot that the movie is existed and I also agree. The more you delayed, people will lose interest in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That's what unfortunately happened with the New Mutants. After it was delayed constantly, people just lost interest in the movie when it finally came out and I'm afraid that the same thing will happen to Morbius.

• Thumbs Up 3

This guy got an Sonic Movie 2 T-Shirt from Tyson Hesse. Lucky guy. I hear he is a popular gamer from  Quebec which is a part of Canada. He is a big Sonic fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

This guy got an Sonic Movie 2 T-Shirt from Tyson Hesse. Lucky guy. I hear he is a popular gamer from  Quebec which is a part of Canada. He is a big Sonic fan.

Wow! I didn't think they were making merchandise for the movie now!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Wow! I didn't think they were making merchandise for the movie now!

I don't think crew shirts count as merch

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/3/2022 at 5:41 PM, KingMario05 said:

Morbius himself isn’t as popular as Venom… then again people didn’t like Eternals either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but Eternals didn’t get far past the $400 million mark at the box office on a budget of $200 million.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does anybody think they will show the next trailer during the Super Bowl? I know they did some advertising for the previous one during the event back in 2020.:

Also, the wait for the Uncharted movie is almost over. I don't think anybody is interested in it probably because it doesn't look promising.. Sony just announced some news about the Twisted Metal TV show and an Ghost of Tsushima movie which will be directed by the guy who directed the John Wick movies. 

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

Starting tomorrow, the Sonic movie Twitter is going to start showing fan art from other artists.

Really strange that they didn't show any fan art of Emerald Hill Zone back in March 2021 despite that they will pick the best fan art of Emerald Hill Zone.:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Starting tomorrow, the Sonic movie Twitter is going to start showing fan art from other artists.

Really strange that they didn't show any fan art of Emerald Hill Zone back in March 2021 despite that they will pick the best fan art of Emerald Hill Zone.:

Oooh! This sounds like a great idea!  I have some fanart to showcase to them!

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably, relevant to the discussion, but Disney decided to no longer release "Turning Red" in theaters and make it release just on Disney+

Apparently, there are reports that Encanto didn't do well in the box office and to be honest, I didn't hear much about the movie until it got released on Disney+. It looks like families with kids prefer to watch movies at home.

I'm wondering what it could mean for Sonic Movie 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount would've made decision to simultaneously release the movie on streaming services (or with 1-2 months delay). However, I think that since Sonic is very well-established franchise it is in better shape than most animated movies.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interestingly the Sonic movie account tweeted this in response to an Album release by The Weekend.

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1479558605040848896?s=20

According to this website the track features Jim Carrey's voice. That said it may not be movie related at all and just a nod to Jim Carrey (haven't been able to listen to it). But the twitter seems to be quoting a phrase "Sonic Universe" or hinting something. But I haven't listened to the song.

31 minutes ago, phobs said:

Probably, relevant to the discussion, but Disney decided to no longer release "Turning Red" in theaters and make it release just on Disney+

Apparently, there are reports that Encanto didn't do well in the box office and to be honest, I didn't hear much about the movie until it got released on Disney+. It looks like families with kids prefer to watch movies at home.

I'm wondering what it could mean for Sonic Movie 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount would've made decision to simultaneously release the movie on streaming services (or with 1-2 months delay). However, I think that since Sonic is very well-established franchise it is in better shape than most animated movies.

I think it really depends on the reason why Disney chose to put Turning Red on streaming instead of going straight to theaters.  I want to say that the pandemic is the reason.  But, if that was the case, then how come Disney's other animated films are going straight to theaters, whereas the Pixar films are the only ones going to streaming?  Does Disney have something against Pixar or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I think it really depends on the reason why Disney chose to put Turning Red on streaming instead of going straight to theaters.  I want to say that the pandemic is the reason.  But, if that was the case, then how come Disney's other animated films are going straight to theaters, whereas the Pixar films are the only ones going to streaming?  Does Disney have something against Pixar or something?

As I mentioned in the previous post, it doesn't look like Encanto did well in box office, but it seems to thrive on Disney+. My guess is that Disney may not be happy with pandemic box office numbers, but satisfied with Disney+ numbers and as the result decided to forgo theatrical release for Turning Red. Besides that Covid cases are rising significantly again, so who knows what our life is going to look like in April. For example, most of my university classes are switching to remote instruction to prevent Omicron spread.

Regardless of the reason, Disney is big player and trend setter in the industry and I'm wondering whether other companies like Paramount will do something similar.

• Thumbs Up 1