Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

This is a really cool logo. SEGA are calling the movie Sonic vs Knuckles in Japan. 

This is probably since the first movie wasn't see by a lot of people in Japanese theaters. So they don't wanna scare casuals away with that #2

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Don't be an ass and just tell him what you're talking about.

I get what you're saying. Though I feel like a lot of that comes down to trailer editing more than just the actual acting itself. Trailers have to be made up of invented footage, and spliced up lines plenty of times, especially in differing stages of vocal mastering. Quality of the voices was probably one of those things prioritized the least in the trailer in order to match the mood being put together.

Yeah I think it is easy to forget too that the lines Tails had in the trailer were minimal. One was comic relief and the other was saying "Sonic". So it comes off more like a  caricature than probably the real film compared to Sonic who had all of these quirky lines. You'd need extended footage to see their chemistry accurately.

I'm still hyped as all hell for the movie of course. I just wish they went a different direction with Tails is all

Elba sounds amazing as Knuckles 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:
Here are some stuff from the trailer and logos for Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.

Oh, interesting. The Japanese title is "Sonic the Movie: vs Knuckles" while the other ones I assume is same as English.

• Thumbs Up 1

NGL - as soon as I saw this that snow gear outfit that Sonic was wearing, All I could think of was the Bob Beaky disguise from Fleetways Sonic the Comic.

If that’s an intentional reference - then that’s an bloody awesome (and a very deep dive) Easter Egg.

…But the film trailer. Yeah, I’m jazzed! This looks great. And I rated the first one as a surprise hit when I thought it would be shit, So I’m down for more + Sonic friends and lore to expand upon now the opening introductory act is out the way.  

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Tell me what? Ben and Colleen sound like they're in two completely different films. They don't match. Sometimes, fan service can get in the way of what's best for a film, and this, unfortunately, is one of those times.

Which is honestly disappointing. Sonic in the first film felt like, and was treated like (for the first time), a REAL character; and Ben's performance was absolutely a huge part of that. 

He didn't play Sonic as the exaggerated, cartoon character of the games, but as a PERSON; living, breathing and believable, a character you could get invested in. 

Unfortunately, those elements are seemingly nowhere to be found in Colleen's cartoon performance, which, for some reason, the filmakers have decided to bring over to the films..  Even tho it's blatantly incompatible... For obvious reasons. 

Ben didn't play Sonic like a real person. He played Sonic like Ben Schwartz. Like he did in his other voice roles like Dewey and Leo. Roles written down for him. The same is true for Carrey as Eggman but Carrey's performance (which was essentially Evil Ace Ventura) blew everyone else's out of the water in that movie--which wasn't a high bar to clear in the first place--that he was actually enjoyable. I don't find hyperactive nuisance kid Sonic to be particularly endearing and I file it away with the incarnations from Shadow the Hedgehog and the 2010s games under "fucking annoying"

You just sound like you're diminishing Colleen's contributions on the basis of not being a big enough star in your eyes. She absolutely deserves to be here and keep voicing her character.

• Thumbs Up 4

24 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Oh, interesting. The Japanese title is "Sonic the Movie: vs Knuckles" while the other ones I assume is same as English.

Yup, you are correct. I found it weird that they named the movie like that in Japan. Probably because not that many people in Japan didn't watch the previous one because of the movie was delayed because of the pandemic and not that many people go to the theaters there.

Anyway, I really like the Japanese logo.

13 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yup, you are correct. I found it weird that they named the movie like that in Japan. Probably because not that many people in Japan didn't watch the previous one because of the movie was delayed because of the pandemic and not that many people go to the theaters there.

Anyway, I really like the Japanese logo.

Oh, maybe. I assumed Japan doesn't like numbering some of their movies. 😅 I remember some other western films replacing the number with quirky subtitles when localized. That and I think most anime movies tend to not have subtitles either?

Yeah, I like they included Knuckles in the logo with Sonic & Tails. That and the text layout.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of merch SEGA of Japan pulls out for the film over there. I've got a feeling they're gonna be pretty hands on with the release in Japan since this can very well be Sonic's big break in Japan.

6 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Oh, maybe. I assumed Japan doesn't like numbering some of their movies. 😅 I remember some other western films replacing the number with quirky subtitles when localized. That and I think most anime movies tend to not have subtitles either?

Yeah, I like they included Knuckles in the logo with Sonic & Tails. That and the text layout.

On the contrary actually. In Japan they love to stick a number on the end to signify a sequel clearly more than Western countries.

The movie is keeping the same Japanese dub cast for the sequel. We don't know who Tails and Knuckles will be. Maybe they'll bring back their game actors. 

3 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The movie is keeping the same Japanese dub cast for the sequel. We don't know who Tails and Knuckles will be. Maybe they'll bring back their game actors. 

boo, bring back the man the myth the legend jun'ichi kanemaru

I was really hoping the sequel would bring him back to dub Sonic again, but I guess not...?

1 minute ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

boo, bring back the man the myth the legend jun'ichi kanemaru

I was really hoping the sequel would bring him back to dub Sonic again, but I guess not...?

He was the one who originally wanted to skip dubbing the movie since Sonic was so different personality wise. (Which is weird considering he still dubbed Boom Sonic)

Of course, I dunno what he thinks now that its getting a successful sequel. We'll see how Tails' and Knuckles' VAs react. 

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Tyson officially announces his return and gives us his own promo art for the movie.

Storyboard supervisor, huh? That would explain why some of the action scenes look like something out of the games! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

The trailer definitely delivered! Jim Eggman's looking as debonair as ever, and Knuckles finally being kickass again is a sight to behold!

I'm wondering if that's a Death Egg-type weapon attacking Sonic and Tails in the Tornado? Also all that Owl imagery where Jim Eggman finds the Chaos (Master?) Emerald makes me think maybe the Echidnas and Owls were rival clans?

• Thumbs Up 3

I hope Knuckles' voice is toned down a little when he joins Sonic. Part of his charm is how chill he is whenever he isn't pissed off.

• Thumbs Up 2

So does anyone think the other echidnas from the first film still exist or do you think they’ll make Knuckles the last one like he usually is?

32 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

So does anyone think the other echidnas from the first film still exist or do you think they’ll make Knuckles the last one like he usually is?

Don't know. Him being the last of his kind was always a part of his backstory. Whether that changes or remains, we'll find out soon enough. 

59 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Anybody noticed that the bar scene in the trailer is set in Russia. There is a Russian flag in the background.:

In mother Russia, Sonic plays with you.

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

It will be very interesting to see what kind of merch SEGA of Japan pulls out for the film over there. I've got a feeling they're gonna be pretty hands on with the release in Japan since this can very well be Sonic's big break in Japan.

It does make me curious about how the first Sonic movie would have done in Japan if the pandemic didn't strike.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like this is heavily going to pull references from Sonic Adventure 1. The cop cars, the water coming up from the sewers. I'm surprised they didn't make Perfect Chaos the final fight. Maybe next time.

• Thumbs Up 1