Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

1 minute ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Sega wants to charge $40 for Origins. No one pays $40 upfront for a mobile game. Sega would either have to charge less for the mobile version - making the console/PC releases look like a ripoff, or charge less for the console/PC releases.

Ah, makes sense. I am guessing charging 40 dollars for a mobile game would be suicide on their part?

Just now, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Ah, makes sense. I am guessing charging 40 dollars for a mobile game would be suicide on their part?

Well, when was the last time you spent so much on a mobile game that didn't rely on a microtransaction based monetization model?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Well, when was the last time you spent so much on a mobile game that didn't rely on a microtransaction based monetization model?

Yeah, I know that. None. I only played a few mobile games myself, and their prices were nothing like Sonic Origins' price.

I can't imagine Sonic Origins being low price or even being free anyway; considering how much work is (apparently) being done with the game.

Speculation on my part, but the reason Knuckles isn't in Sonic CD? Sonic 1, 2, and CD ports are already "done". All Origins is doing is making them compatible with consoles/PC, and adding some news menus. Aside from the new "missions" feature, I just wouldn't be surprised if we're getting any content in 1, 2, CD that isn't already in the mobile releases. 3&K, for all intents and purpose, is the new content, with some stuff like missions on top of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, there's a part of me that wants to believe Knuckles could still be in CD, which leads me to a question for anyone who's been paying closer attention than I have. 

Do we actually have an official statement saying he's not in, or are we merely assuming he's not because they haven't confirmed that he is? 

If they've actually said that he isn't then it's definitely dead in the water, but if they've just been avoiding mentioning it then it could go wither way.  Knuckles being in CD would be one of the few legitimately cool surprises this collection could have.  It would make sense for them to keep it under wraps to either reveal later or leave as a surprise for when people actually play it.

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, I just want to be sure about all the possibilities.

Ok, yeah.  Damn.

They say Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are playable but then specifically list where Knuckles is playable, something that wouldn't be necessary if they wanted it to be ambiguous.

My bad people, carry on.

21 hours ago, King Conne said:

If it's true, what a pity Knuckles' part of the story is not included...

It's possible that they just forgot to mention Knuckles, since his story is exclusive to Sonic 3.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Because the trailer indicated that Sonic, Tails and Knuckles were playable in the collection.

Ok, but did the trailer say that they would be playable in every game?

I think that there are bigger things to be upset about, such as the fact that it sounds like we can't play Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles separately.

5 hours ago, Vampfox said:

Ok, but did the trailer say that they would be playable in every game?

I think that there are bigger things to be upset about, such as the fact that it sounds like we can't play Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles separately.

Not sure if you're trying to bait me here, but I'll bite. Trailers aren't going to give you a comprehensive list of every specific caveat about the game. They said "Play as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles" while showing you footage of every game in the Classic library. No one, I repeat, no one, was going into this assuming there'd be any exceptions. 

As far as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that was the intended way to play the game, that's the way it's going to be from now on. S3K not being separated is absolutely not a problem, but not being able to play as one of the advertised characters in the advertised games is

• Thumbs Up 7

9 hours ago, Vampfox said:

I think that's less of an issue. The only major losses are Big Arms as Sonic and some MJ music. In fact I think there's an unseen benefit to having this be be the only option, Hyper Sonic can't be written off as non-canon.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I think that's less of an issue. The only major losses are Big Arms as Sonic and some MJ music. In fact I think there's an unseen benefit to having this be be the only option, Hyper Sonic can't be written off as non-canon.

Hyper Sonic can still be written off as non-canon, and almost certainly will be. Sega isn't overturning nearly three decades of precedent without good reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

As far as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that was the intended way to play the game, that's the way it's going to be from now on. S3K not being separated is absolutely not a problem, but not being able to play as one of the advertised characters in the advertised games is

So you're cool with companies giving the customer less choices?

3 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Who gives a flying fuck about hyper sonic?

7 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

They're both problems.

It just occurred to me: will they add some kind of tutorial of how to use the barrel in Carnival Night? Maybe some cheeky sign, knowing these devs...

• Thumbs Up 1

Replace the diamond pattern on the barrels with up and down arrows.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Vampfox said:

So you're cool with companies giving the customer less choices?

Can't make a game with infinite choices.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can someone explain to me why Sonic 3 and Sonic &K were separate in the first place? What's the story behind it

1 minute ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Can someone explain to me why Sonic 3 and Sonic &K were separate in the first place? What's the story behind it

From what I know, it was going to be one game, but the game was too large for one cartridge, so it was ultimately decided that they should split the game into two games, which is probably how the lock-on technology came into being.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Can't make a game with infinite choices.

But I'm not asking them to give us unlimited choices. I just want them to give me the same choices that Sonic Mega Collection give me.

I'm only really buying this to replace Sonic Mega Collection, which I'm no longer able to play since my Wii kicked the bucket eight months ago.

33 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Sonic 3 was split into two games both for cartridge space constraint and to meet an advertisement deal deadline (Mc Donald's happy meals).

• Thumbs Up 4

31 minutes ago, Vampfox said:

But I'm not asking them to give us unlimited choices. I just want them to give me the same choices that Sonic Mega Collection give me.

Mega Collection was just a bunch of roms thrown onto a disk. Playing 3 and &K separately was as easy as "load S3 rom" and "load S&K rom". Origins' 3&K is rebuilt in a new engine; they'd have to fork the game into three, strip out or disable whatever's not used in either version, change or add whatever's different, and test them all to make sure nothing's broken. Far from impossible, of course, and probably not even particularly hard, but probably not trivial either, and for questionable benefit.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm pretty sure there's a generous save system so you can just choose to stop playing at AIZ if you want. :V

I mean, I get it why people are complaining about this, but these were originally supposed to be ONE game anyways. If would never have had the choice between "which part" to play first if it got delayed instead of segregated. And they really can't, won't, and shouldn't account for every situation. These aren't roms, as was already pointed out- so it is definitely more work to separate them than to leave it as one game.

I care more about the no Knux in CD, but even that... I can understand why it wasn't done.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles not being separable is kind of meh, but it's not that big of a deal at all. I usually prefer the & knuckles half, and if I want to just play that half then I'll just start the game at Mushroom Hill zone once I have the full playthrough save done. Do you miss out on one (1) boss fight? Not really, because knuckles' playthrough will still have it.

Knuckles being absent from CD is the much bigger annoyance, since it goes against the "Play as any character in any game*" *Except for this specific character in this specific game. Aren't these all running on the retro engine? Is CD built differently due to being the first retro port/remake, where backporting knuckle's newer code into it is difficult or something?

• Thumbs Up 4