Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

During gameplay, Sonic 3 & Knuckles will exclusively use the Sonic & Knuckles versions of the Title Theme, Invincibility, Knuckles Theme and Act 1 Boss Theme, Ending Theme, etc. 

Disappointing. I only had Sonic 3 on the Genesis and didn't play S3&K until I got Mega Collection, so I've always been partial to the Sonic 3 versions of those songs. This collection would have been a great opportunity to finally give us an option as to which songs are used in S3&K, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Did they answer anything about ability customization or story mode?

Not really no. Nothing about customization, they did mention that due to the movie they wanted to be able to show people the "Origins" of Sonic's battle with Eggman, so they decided to re-release these titles and let people experience the original gameplay and story.

The only other interesting thing I noticed was mention of the museum which will contain music, illustrations and videos (which we knew), but then it talks about "Treasury Illustrations" which are being released for the first time and they hope "people will be surprised that there were images like this".

Sounds like previously unreleased materials could be the contents of the second museum section?

I'm still kind of wondering why they didn't just create a Sonic 3K looking save setup for the other games rather than leaving that one in and giving the others the weird pop-up windows 🤔

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

Not really no. Nothing about customization, they did mention that due to the movie they wanted to be able to show people the "Origins" of Sonic's battle with Eggman, so they decided to re-release these titles and let people experience the original gameplay and story.

The only other interesting thing I noticed was mention of the museum which will contain music, illustrations and videos (which we knew), but then it talks about "Treasury Illustrations" which are being released for the first time and they hope "people will be surprised that there were images like this".

Sounds like previously unreleased materials could be the contents of the second museum section?

"Treasury Illustrations?"

The only things I can really think of are higher quality scans of screenshots from things like the Sonic 1 TTS build, or stuff like that. It'd be cool if we got things based on the comics or old tv shows too, but I'm doubtful.

I find it funny how Michael didn't even want to be credited on the Sonic music, yet his estate is blocking the use of the music after his death.

Michael thought that the Genesis was too weak audio wise iirc and didn't want to be credited for it

About the Michael Jackson music; in the likely event that it is not used in Sonic Origins, what are the odds that; in the case that we don't get that beta music like the ones from The Sonic & Knuckles Collection; that we get new music altogether for Launch Base Zone, Ice Cap Zone and Carnival Night Zone provided they did not say that there won't be new music?

I know it isn’t new information but The Continuous run (story mode) through all the games has my interest piqued the most - I wonder if you can (probably not) pick a specific Sprite style for the entire journey?

I also hope they have the option to miss out Sonic CD here as well.

For continuity it’s a bit of an outlier / side story IMHO, and as the worst of the 4 titles (even with the Retro Engine overhaul) it will most certainly be a bit of a personal put off for me wanting to blast through the main trilogy. 

As for the music - I oddly grew up owning S&K alone whilst my mate had Sonic 3. So whilst some of the themes are debatably better in your version of choice - I always had a soft spot for the more “serious” versions that S&K presented for bosses etc…

That said. Why is this not optional? You could switch between the US and JPN soundtrack for CD, so the least they could do is present a variation on the soundtrack if there is no option to play S3&K separately.

But I suppose this goes in hand with SEGA taking charge on the presentation and compilation front. I’m just grateful that they made the right decision to bring all the classic games over and running via the Retro Engine.

The rest is slightly superfluous IMO, no matter how easy it is to surmise over “what could have been…” 

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

About the Michael Jackson music; in the likely event that it is not used in Sonic Origins, what are the odds that; in the case that we don't get that beta music like the ones from The Sonic & Knuckles Collection; that we get new music altogether for Launch Base Zone, Ice Cap Zone and Carnival Night Zone provided they did not say that there won't be new music?

I have to assume that, if there were to be entirely new music tracks, that would be something they would trumpet in the advertising; conversely, the "brush the question under the carpet" attitude implies that we are getting something which required less effort on the developers' part and would be more challenging to put a positive spin on.  (No criticism intended of the developers or the beta soundtrack composer, but it's simply the case that nobody's really excited for a replacement soundtrack.)

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

I know it isn’t new information but The Continuous run (story mode) through all the games has my interest piqued the most - I wonder if you can (probably not) pick a specific Sprite style for the entire journey?

I also hope they have the option to miss out Sonic CD here as well.

For continuity it’s a bit of an outlier / side story IMHO, and as the worst of the 4 titles (even with the Retro Engine overhaul) it will most certainly be a bit of a personal put off for me wanting to blast through the main trilogy. 

As for the music - I oddly grew up owning S&K alone whilst my mate had Sonic 3. So whilst some of the themes are debatably better in your version of choice - I always had a soft spot for the more “serious” versions that S&K presented for bosses etc…

That said. Why is this not optional? You could switch between the US and JPN soundtrack for CD, so the least they could do is present a variation on the soundtrack if there is no option to play S3&K separately.

I suppose this goes in hand with SEGA taking charge on the presentation and compliment front. I’m just grateful that they made the right decision to bring all the classic games over and running via the Retro Engine.

The rest is slightly superfluous IMO, no matter how easy it is to surmise over “what could have been…

I think Sonic 1 is worse, not fun to play almost at all for me

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no way Sega will ever comment on the Sonic 3 music situation (before or even after release) and risk getting into trouble concerning the lawsuit. And if Origins had new music they wouldn't advertise it either since it would cause a ton of backlash pre-release. In fact I'll be willing to bet that anyone playing preview copies would be under NDA to mention it. Like it or not we won't find out until the game is in our hands for ourselves.

I'm still pissed off that Asian regions are getting new info whereas we're not (I guess it would interfere with the hard work the Sonic twitter puts into making completely unrelated posts to anything relevant concerning the franchise) but it's nice to have confirmation that the Japanese vocal themes will be in Origins.

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

but it's nice to have confirmation that the Japanese vocal themes will be in Origins.

What the? That sounds weird.

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

There's no way Sega will ever comment on the Sonic 3 music situation (before or even after release) and risk getting into trouble concerning the lawsuit. And if Origins had new music they wouldn't advertise it either since it would cause a ton of backlash pre-release. In fact I'll be willing to bet that anyone playing preview copies would be under NDA to mention it. Like it or not we won't find out until the game is in our hands for ourselves.

I'm still pissed off that Asian regions are getting new info whereas we're not (I guess it would interfere with the hard work the Sonic twitter puts into making completely unrelated posts to anything relevant concerning the franchise) but it's nice to have confirmation that the Japanese vocal themes will be in Origins.

Where was this, exactly, if I may ask?

oops

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1005410/

Are the Sonic CD opening and ending songs Japanese or North American versions? Or is it possible to choose between the two?

The songs on the Sonic CD are included in both the Japanese/European version and the North American version, and songs can be changed. We are preparing rare content that has never been released until now, so we hope you enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 4

You Can Do Anything & Cosmic Eternity vocal themes being added to CD's new release in Origins is an absolute win. Them not being included in the 2011 remaster was such a bummer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, I'm pretty happy the Japanese CD themes are in. I grew up on S&K Collection so I'm indifferent to whether Sonic 3 has the MJ music or not

• Thumbs Up 3

Grew up with the Sonic 3 tracks but I'm pretty indifferent tbh.

I NEED Cd's Japanese OST though.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't mind if Origin's 3K gets the original or beta tracks. Both sets are good. I prefer the S3 title screen, Knuckles theme, mini boss & end credits tracks over their 3K counterparts, but I'm so used to the 3K music that I don't mind. At least we won't have to wait long to find out. Only a month until release.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

You Can Do Anything & Cosmic Eternity vocal themes being added to CD's new release in Origins is an absolute win. Them not being included in the 2011 remaster was such a bummer.

It is an absolute win for me too. I can't wait to play the game while hearing those vocals again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still wondering about that "Treasury Illustrations" thing. What unseen things can they even show? Things about the comics? Old TV show things? Commercials in high quality?

Maybe it's completely new illustrations. That would be cool, like the Celebration Pictures in Kirby Star Allies.

There's undoubtedly plenty of concept/production art that hasn't been publicly released, I'll just be surprised if we get too much of that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd be pretty disappointed if the Sonic 3 OST isn't intact in this release. It would make the $40 price tag a little more reasonable, since presumably some of it would be going to the Jackson estate for the music rights. But if it isn't here, a major component, imho, of the game is missing, and I'd love to know where the $40 price point of this game is going to if not to the music right holders. Love to know how much Jackson's estate would want for their music rights if Origins $40 price can't seriously cover it.

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

and I'd love to know where the $40 price point of this game is going to if not to the music right holders.

Developing the S3K remaster from scratch, porting CD/1/2 to RSDK v5U, implementing mission mode, animated cutscenes in story mode.

I mean I would have put it at $30 myself but I can still see the reasoning behind it.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

Developing the S3K remaster from scratch, porting CD/1/2 to RSDK v5U, implementing mission mode, animated cutscenes in story mode.

I mean I would have put it at $30 myself but I can still see the reasoning behind it.

I know I'm not a game developer, neither knowledgable about game development. But I do not see how such work would be so expensive to require a $40 price tag to cover development costs. Even among other remasters and compilations, Origins price point is pretty damn high.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic games go on sale pretty quickly and frequently so I'd just wait it out.