Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Headcannon not working on Sonic 1/2/CD in this collection makes me worry that the Origins version of CD won't have any of the bugfixes the mobile versions received that the Steam/console versions didn't, since the latter versions were handled by Blit Studios and not Taxman himself. Unless Sega decided to make an entirely new port using the mobile version as a base, which I doubt.

7 hours ago, Milo said:

Some clarifications by Headcannon on Twitter about their involvement with Origins. [Tweets, and contents of tweets in quotes below.]

Guess this explains why Whitehead and Headcannon's involvement with Origins wasn't clarified until a month ago.

The distinction of S3&K being remastered as a standalone project does make me wonder though. Perhaps Sega's considering giving 3&K remastered a standalone mobile release to complete the set? The iOS/Android releases of TaxStealth's remasters are conspicuously absent from Sega's planned delisting of older releases of the MD games.

So wait ... But ARE the Sonic 1/2/CD ports the Taxman's version at least or did SEGA really decided to rebuild them from scratch? They're not that crazy, right? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I could be thinking way too hard about this, but I got it into my head there’s a possibility Sonic’s S3K sprite will be based off the Sonic 1/2 sprite.

The character select uses the standardized Sonic 2 sprite and Mania had its Sonic sprite based on Sonic 1/2 as well. Having seen no gameplay yet of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on top of that has me doubly worried this could be the case. 

Knowing Headcannon is confirmed to be working on S3K is great and helped put my mind at ease a little bit, but the fact S1-CD are just kind of lazily thrown in with no extras outside of a mission mode and the drop dash, it wouldn’t surprise me if SEGA took the initiative and had some extra “effort” thrown into Sonic 3 to change Sonic’s sprite to his more “nostalgic Sonic 1 sprite” for an “improved experience”. Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Strong said:

I could be thinking way too hard about this, but I got it into my head there’s a possibility Sonic’s S3K sprite will be based off the Sonic 1/2 sprite.

The character select uses the standardized Sonic 2 sprite and Mania had its Sonic sprite based on Sonic 1/2 as well. Having seen no gameplay yet of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on top of that has me doubly worried this could be the case. 

Knowing Headcannon is confirmed to be working on S3K is great and helped put my mind at ease a little bit, but the fact S1-CD are just kind of lazily thrown in with no extras outside of a mission mode and the drop dash, it wouldn’t surprise me if SEGA took the initiative and had some extra “effort” thrown into Sonic 3 to change Sonic’s sprite to his more “nostalgic Sonic 1 sprite” for an “improved experience”. Ugh.

Except there was gameplay of Sonic 3 in the trailer...that showed Sonic's Sonic 3K sprite.

• Fist Bump 1

It was emulated in the initial reveal, but in the trailer it's in widescreen and has the "coins" counter, so it's definitely Origins' Anniversary mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Somehow I completely forgot that trailer happened despite how much I enjoyed the animations.

Either way, that’s some insight into one of the worries I had before we saw gameplay 😅

11 hours ago, Jango said:

So wait ... But ARE the Sonic 1/2/CD ports the Taxman's version at least or did SEGA really decided to rebuild them from scratch? They're not that crazy, right? 

No, they are the mobile versions. Taxman confirmed back in April he's modified the Retro Engine to allow the mobile versions to be added to Origins.

I just hope the version of CD in Origins contains all the bug fixes the android version has (which the PC/console versions never got) and that S1 & S2 in Origins don't have the control issues which occurred when they were added to the SEGA forever brand.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

No, they are the mobile versions. Taxman confirmed back in April he's modified the Retro Engine to allow the mobile versions to be added to Origins.

I just hope the version of CD in Origins contains all the bug fixes the android version has (which the PC/console versions never got) and that S1 & S2 in Origins don't have the control issues which occurred when they were added to the SEGA forever brand.

Ok, but the bottom line is, they're still the versions rebuild by Taxman and Stealth using the Retro Engine, only now brought to consoles, right? 

15 minutes ago, Jango said:

Ok, but the bottom line is, they're still the versions rebuild by Taxman and Stealth using the Retro Engine, only now brought to consoles, right? 

Correct.

11 hours ago, Jango said:

Well then. Guess they won't fuck up I think.

It's SEGA.

18 hours ago, Guy Strong said:

Somehow I completely forgot that trailer happened despite how much I enjoyed the animations.

Either way, that’s some insight into one of the worries I had before we saw gameplay 😅

I feel like the worry wasn't justified. Really the only "sprite consistency" thing would be in Story Mode, right? Since you're playing all four games rapid fire.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, King Conne said:

Please, a playable "Wood Zone", the lost "R2" level and the brand new final boss for SONIC CD and fully-playable versions of SONIC3's "2-player" zones!!...

(And a little something about Ashura for die-hard SONIC fans...)

As cool as this would be, this was never going to happen. Especially after the revelation that this is in house. This collection is clearly made to be a way to put these classic titles remastered onto consoles with some extras, and not to be the "definitive" way to play these games most people thought they would be.

Do we have any idea as to cool new features Sonic 3&K might have? Other than the prototype stage added into Sonic 2 most of the cool new additions to 1, 2 and CD were more or less just characters or abilities from 3&K.

I'd absolutely love Mighty and Ray to be added into 3&K based on their Mania playstyles, but I imagine if that was the case it'd have been in the marketing by now.

10 minutes ago, ZERO_ninja said:

Do we have any idea as to cool new features Sonic 3&K might have? Other than the prototype stage added into Sonic 2 most of the cool new additions to 1, 2 and CD were more or less just characters or abilities from 3&K.

I'd absolutely love Mighty and Ray to be added into 3&K based on their Mania playstyles, but I imagine if that was the case it'd have been in the marketing by now.

Well, there's

-Dropdash

-

-

-

And that's all she currently wrote.

I'm sure we'll get SOME new info near release. Maybe after the Frontiers news thing...or even before? I dunno

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

They're handling this release in the worst possible way and I find it emblematic of how little Sega actually cares for their flagship series anymore.

I feel like Sega's marketing of Sonic games has been terrible ever since Sonic Colors came out. That's when I remember the marketing strategies going from either questionable to just outright no real marketing at all, but maybe that's just cause I started to pay attention. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, but you don't understand! They HAVE to be memeing! It's not like the jokes they tell are either recycled, unfunny, or just plain annoying! "Speed Meme" is clearly better and more important than the next big release!

Spoiler

I'm being sarcastic by the way. I hate the social media accounts.

Like I've said before in another topic, After all these years it's clear to me that SEGA only puts out Sonic games still is because they have to, as it makes profit like we saw in the recent news regarding sales.

They themselves don't actually care about them, if you look at the fiscal year report, they mostly talk about the multimedia stuff, with the games only getting passing mentions.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, pppp said:

Like I've said before in another topic, After all these years it's clear to me that SEGA only puts out Sonic games still is because they have to, as it makes profit like we saw in the recent news regarding sales.

They themselves don't actually care about them, if you look at the fiscal year report, they mostly talk about the multimedia stuff, with the games only getting passing mentions.

At this point it'd literally be better if there wasn't another Sonic game. We've reached the point where every other piece of media BUT the games are consistently decent to good.

I don't like Sonic Boom, in any form, but I'll be the first to say that the cartoon and comics were miles ahead than the games. The best Sonic game, in terms of general opinion, in years was a game that started out as a digital only title, for god sake (Sonic Mania).

How the fuck do we live in a timeline where the memes are remembered more fondly than the games. A timeline where THE LIVE ACTION CGI HYBRID MOVIES are liked more than the games. Where fucking FANFICTION has better story telling than the games.

I'll tell you how, we live in this timeline because SEGA gives no fucks about the Sonic gaming branch, and the lack of any fucking marketing just proves this. 

Either start caring, SEGA, or just pull the plug. 

Your choice.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

If I were Sega's campaign manager for Origins I'd be doing a lot more infodumping up to release day. Post bi-weekly updates on the extra features these versions have and what sets them apart from previous compilations! Talk about Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 and why it's such a big deal for it to be there! Really hammer it in how cool it is to play as Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and 2 with their full arsenal of abilities! Show more examples of mission mode! And put the S3K remaster front and center since it's the only brand new game in this collection, convincing people who have purchased the mobile versions to double-dip for this collection. I really hate how low-key Sega has been about this collection aside from that one trailer a few weeks ago which wasn't any different from what they had for Mania (which was just a regular, brand new game and didn't need infodumps on its bonus and QoL features) and I AM STILL seeing people say that Mega Collection from three generations ago is a better deal than Origins. People outside of the Sonic fandom don't even know why Origins is such a big deal for these titles and it's infuriating that Sega is treating this as just another stopgap title with no real hype behind it.

You wanna know how many tweets about Sonic Origins the official Sonic the Hedgehog twitter has made since Origins was announced exactly one month ago from tomorrow? None. They haven't made a single fucking tweet about Origins since its official trailer. Instead they're posting all their usual unfunny garbage memes with a cursory mention of Sonic Prime, probably because Netflix forced their hand to acknowledge it by including it in their animated show sizzle reel. What the ever loving FUCK are they doing over there? Does Sega even give a shit about Sonic Origins when there's been zero hype for it and it's only a little over a fucking month away?

Sega didn't even say who developed these remasters in the first place. They didn't talk about how the games from this collection are being brought to you by the same people who made the ground-breaking throwback hit from 2017, Sonic Mania. They didn't even mention how Sonic CD's cutscenes were remastered from the ground up, we only found that out from one of the devs' twitter accounts. They're handling this release in the worst possible way and I find it emblematic of how little Sega actually cares for their flagship series anymore.

The final kick in the balls is how Sega went and commissioned M2 for those mediocre, half-baked emulation jobs on the Switch for Sonic 1 and 2 anyway. Up to Origins' announcement, there was not only zero indication that the mobile versions would ever be re-released, there was NEVER any indication that Sega even was INTERESTED in re-releasing them in the first place, considering they seemed to only concern themselves with porting the original ROMs over and over again with the barest minimum of poorly implemented QoL features like a Spin Dash that doesn't even damage enemies while stationary, a bug carried over from their PREVIOUS mediocre, half-baked emulation job from M2 on the 3DS. So most people who bought SEGA AGES Sonic 1 and 2 on the Switch are gonna look at Origins and know that they already own half the games on it and skip over it due to not being informed of the differences and the cannibalism of different versions of the same fucking games on the same fucking console. Good god. Fuck Sega.

Also the price for this. Holy shit.

I am tempted to say Sega doesn't care about Origins, maybe because it's a digital game and was shadowdropped or whatever. Sad thing because after movie 2, games are exactly what Sonic needs.

For comparison, Colors Ultimate got:

A 2 part short animation with dialogue

Spotlight videos

Twitter takeover promotion 

Boxed release obviously

Updates besides bug fixing

Accocolades trailer

3 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

At this point it'd literally be better if there wasn't another Sonic game. We've reached the point where every other piece of media BUT the games are consistently decent to good.

I don't like Sonic Boom, in any form, but I'll be the first to say that the cartoon and comics were miles ahead than the games. The best Sonic game, in terms of general opinion, in years was a game that started out as a digital only title, for god sake (Sonic Mania).

How the fuck do we live in a timeline where the memes are remembered more fondly than the games. A timeline where THE LIVE ACTION CGI HYBRID MOVIES are liked more than the games. Where fucking FANFICTION has better story telling than the games.

I'll tell you how, we live in this timeline because SEGA gives no fucks about the Sonic gaming branch, and the lack of any fucking marketing just proves this. 

Either start caring, SEGA, or just pull the plug. 

Your choice.

I don't personally think Sega needs to pull the plug on Sonic necessarily, especially even if some fans, who may or may not be a vocal minority here, wants them to do. There are other fans who may still like Sonic, and closing the series in front of them just because some fans do not like the games would be a bad idea. I personally think it would be better to leave it open for the fans who still like Sonic.

Also, what fanfiction has been doing better than Sonic Team's efforts? No really. Last time I checked, the fanfiction was mostly bad. You have made me curious here. I must be missing something.

Also, in regards to what you said, and maybe a few recent others, what has Sega done now that is upsetting fans?

Outside of a couple trailers, why should they have some massive regular marketing push for this? Several collections have come and gone and have been profitable without much fanfare outside of a trailer or two.

Origins at the end of the day is just yet another one of the compilations of Sonic games many have played over and over again, with a handful of tweaks. Most people know what to expect from this sort of thing already.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Outside of a couple trailers, why should they have some massive regular marketing push for this? Several collections have come and gone and have been profitable without much fanfare outside of a trailer or two. Origins at the end of the day is just a compilation of games many have played over and over again, with a handful of tweaks. Most people know what to expect from this sort of thing.

Makes sense, by which I mean good point. It does seem like they are rather doing a marketing push, but all for one collections game? I personally do not see what is making Origins a big deal to Sega, other than perhaps it being released on Sonic's birthday, but that is a small thing, right?

4 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Oh, but you don't understand! They HAVE to be memeing! It's not like the jokes they tell are either recycled, unfunny, or just plain annoying! "Speed Meme" is clearly better and more important than the next big release!

Reveal hidden contents

I'm being sarcastic by the way. I hate the social media accounts.

Like them or not, even if there weren't any memes there still wouldn't be any news, y'know because different people manage the social. I think you guys are getting a little too pressed over the fact a collection of 16 bit games doesn't have a new trailer when it was only revealed about a month ago. If it makes any of you feel better there isn't some huge wait, it literally comes out June 23 so we'll be able to play the game then. 

• Thumbs Up 2