Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I'm glad this collection is more substantial than it seemed like it'd be. Some of that stuff being DLC sounds ridiculous though. "Camera controls for the 3D islands"..? Are you kidding me? It's a small thing, but that one just really perplexes me.

• Thumbs Up 1

The stuff omitted from the non Deluxe/DLC versions are so small and meaningless but they're gonna piss me off if they aren't there.😔

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Like, SEGA steadfastly clinging on to shipping absolutely everything with Denuvo feels super tone deaf considering how successful the Steam Deck is right now? I'm pretty sure Denuvo still doesn't work on Linux.

Mania was released with Denuvo to, and I ran it day one on my LInux... And it was even before proton (it was a Steam instance INSIDE a wine container because at that time we had to do this to play Windows game on Linux xD). Same for Forces : it use Denuvo and works quite well on Linux ( https://www.protondb.com/app/637100 ). I can't say about SCU I'm waiting for a Steam Version to test it.

So there should not be much issues with Denuvo for these games, if the implementation haven't change and haven't been made stricter. But with the Steam Deck, I don't think it'll.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a lot of talk about Knuckles' Chaotix. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see that? It's kind of a not fun game IMO.

Yeah I guess a remaster could fix some issues, but still, I don't want to see it honestly. Spinball on the other hand, would be fun, because I never really got interested enough to play it but now I'm kind of curious, I don't think it's gonna be more than a mission sadly, probably because SEGA refuses to have the Freedom Fighters and they are in that game. Not saying it's impossible, they could be removed for all we know. If Spinball is really playable the other game could be Mean Bean.

I'm also not a fan of the Classic Chaotix generally, I really do prefer their modern incarnations. 

Still holding out hope that either Mighty & Ray, Amy and/or Metal Sonic are unlockable playable characters.

I did play Spinball time ago and didn't like it, so... well it's additional content so I'm not complaining about it, but it hurts me if there's Spinball and not other games such as Sonic 1 8 bit, Tails' Sky Patrol, etc... which I think are a lot more fun.

I think that inclusion of any one game shuld be less about whether that game is fun and popular and more about archiving and accessibility.  Knuckles Chaotix may be a failed experiment, but it's a part of the series's history and people should have the opportunity to experience it for themselves.  Ditto many of the other ephemeral titles in the series; if not now, then when?

20 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Still holding out hope that either Mighty & Ray, Amy and/or Metal Sonic are unlockable playable characters.

I suspect that this would be considerably more work than we give credit for, but regardless, if they aren't willing to add Knuckles to CD, they aren't going to be adding any more characters.

• Thumbs Up 5

Quite happy from what I've seen so far. I think the pricing tiers are a bit ridiculous, but given how infrequently we actually get releases like this I'm not so bothered that I won't bite out of spite. I am a bit miffed though that there is no physical release (yet), as the same was true for Mania, and then lo and behold I ended up buying the game a second time once It got a shiny physical release.

Extremely minor point, but I hate that the "Deluxe" "boxart" for the game doesn't use the standard colours for the game's art. I prefer the Green/Blue variant, but hey, gotta distinguish those tiers!

Was initially hoping for Knuckles Chaotix to be included as part of this, and with a widescreen upgrade too, but I'm really doubtful that will be the case now. I doubt it'll be packaged away. If they were going to include it, they'd be marketing it as part of the collection. I've also seen others voice concerns about the lack of the Lives System in widescreen mode. I really hope these individual things can be toggled on/off in a customisable way. Given I'm mainly buying this to have widescreen console versions of these games, I'd also like to not be forced to use 4:3 if I also want to play with the lives system (which I do).

Interested to see how the Sonic 3 soundtrack is handled, I always used to hate the PC tracks compared to the MD ones, but with the recent revelations that those ones were the OG prototype tracks it's bumped them up a fair bit in my respects.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if anyone pointed this out yet but

"Never before seen" huh? Wonder what that would contain?

• Thumbs Up 2

Let’s see, parent with a young (6yo) child who’s just seen the Sonic 2 movie and is gonna ask their parents for this collection of games to carry on the movie hype. Yep, my house is one of the primary targets of Sonic Origins XD

I’ll get it for Switch, I’ve already got 1, 2 and CD in more modern formats but they’re dotted over different devices and it’d be handy to have the classics in a single easy place for the kid to play.

• Thumbs Up 3

What's unfortunate about the DLC is that they probably could've done more with it. I'd've accepted a season pass for like €10 if it was a playable character pack of Amy, Ray, Mighty or some of the Chaotix. Maybe have a short campaign few exclusive levels for each character based around their abilities taking place in areas from the games already included, and also adjust the current games to not break with them. Price can be adjusted accordingly if needed.

The current DLC stuff, is such basic stuff that was clearly cut from the actual game to make some extra money. They could've had some physical collector's edition with cheap garbage collectibles that people love to make that money, without cutting pointless crap from the game.

On another note, I do think the orange to red gradient on the Deluxe Edition looks nicer,

Definitely happy to see this, and definitely picking it up, but the lack of a physical edition makes me sad. If I'm going to have this in my collection, I'd like to own it, y'know?

Chaotix is one of my fave Sonic games for its puzzle platformer style. But the reality is that the chances of it making it to Origins is near zero.

Chaotix is definitely a weird one, to the point that I'm not sure it really "qualifies" (take that term for what you will) as a Classic Sonic game for how out of left field the game mechanics and physics are. Without offending anyone who likes the game, I feel that it's to the extent that including it in Origins could potential devalue the entire collection because of all of that. 

Maybe if Origins was a more comprehensive classic era compilation, sure. But if their focus is on the main suite of Genesis games, Chaotix understandably has to get the boot. 

• Thumbs Up 5

32 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Maybe if Origins was a more comprehensive classic era compilation, sure. But if their focus is on the main suite of Genesis games, Chaotix understandably has to get the boot. 

I think that's reasonable.  If we're talking about a laser-focussed classic collection, S1/CD/2/3K plus only Chaotix, or only Spinball, doesn't really make sense.  It'd have to have either both, framed as weird extras; or be casting a much wider net and including many more games.  Either would probably fall outside the scope of what this collection is doing, remastering the classics to feature widescreen and other extras.  I think that Chaotix and Spinball and all the other pre-Advance handheld games should be made legally available, but I can well understand Sega not seeing the economic sense in putting as much money into them.

But then when do you push Chaotix and Spinball and the Master System and Game Gear games?  How are you going to sell these as part of a collection without big hitters like the classic-classics also featuring?  My guess now would be that you don't; the way the gaming landscape is leaning at the moment, you put them on a subscription service instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't have a problem with the more obscure 90's games like Chaotix not being in Origins, but it's a shame SEGA doesn't seem interested in touching them again. The last time they considered rereleasing KC was with Sonic Mega Collection. I guess it's up to us fans to go and make a "Chaotix IIR (Isolated Island Revisited) to encourage SEGA to release it again ;)

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but in the S3K shot with Tails, he's Super there. It's interesting because going Super in Mushroom Hill is impossible. You're forced to surrender the Chaos Emeralds before the level starts, and I don't think there are enough giant rainbow rings to collect all the Super Emeralds. Could they have changed it so we get to keep the Chaos Emeralds this time around?

8 minutes ago, Red said:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but in the S3K shot with Tails, he's Super there. It's interesting because going Super in Mushroom Hill is impossible. You're forced to surrender the Chaos Emeralds before the level starts, and I don't think there are enough giant rainbow rings to collect all the Super Emeralds. Could they have changed it so we get to keep the Chaos Emeralds this time around?

There are eight giant rainbow rings in Mushroom Hill when playing with Sonic or Tails (four in act 1 & four in act 2) - more than enough to collect the seven super emeralds.

There are eleven giant rainbow rings in Mushroom Hill when playing with Knuckles (five in act 1 & six in act 2).

Sonic, Tails & Knuckles will still lose the chaos emeralds at the start of Mushroom Hill.

• Thumbs Up 4

You don't actually have to lose the emeralds, you can just not go in any giant rings in the S&K half of the game.

But Tails needs the Super Emeralds to go Super, so that doesn't matter.

Also 3&K lets you replay the game starting from any level once you've beaten it, so it doesn't matter how many giant rings are in Mushroom Hill.

• Thumbs Up 3

Other than the pricing Orgins seems pretty good, and hopefully Sonic Frontiers and Prime can keep up the momentum Sonic has had this year.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Strider_Xhaiden said:

Definitely happy to see this, and definitely picking it up, but the lack of a physical edition makes me sad. If I'm going to have this in my collection, I'd like to own it, y'know?

Mania didn't get a physical release immediately, we'll have to see if Origins gets one eventually.

3 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Don't have a problem with the more obscure 90's games like Chaotix not being in Origins, but it's a shame SEGA doesn't seem interested in touching them again. The last time they considered rereleasing KC was with Sonic Mega Collection. I guess it's up to us fans to go and make a "Chaotix IIR (Isolated Island Revisited) to encourage SEGA to release it again ;)

They actually have expressed interest in it recently. Iizuka said there have been some talks about bringing back Chaotix and other games.

7 hours ago, Iko said:

I did play Spinball time ago and didn't like it, so... well it's additional content so I'm not complaining about it, but it hurts me if there's Spinball and not other games such as Sonic 1 8 bit, Tails' Sky Patrol, etc... which I think are a lot more fun.

Try going into options and changing the game speed to fast, it makes it a lot less sluggish.

7 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

There is a lot of talk about Knuckles' Chaotix. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see that? It's kind of a not fun game IMO.

Yeah I guess a remaster could fix some issues, but still, I don't want to see it honestly. Spinball on the other hand, would be fun, because I never really got interested enough to play it but now I'm kind of curious, I don't think it's gonna be more than a mission sadly, probably because SEGA refuses to have the Freedom Fighters and they are in that game. Not saying it's impossible, they could be removed for all we know. If Spinball is really playable the other game could be Mean Bean.

I'm also not a fan of the Classic Chaotix generally, I really do prefer their modern incarnations. 

I gave Chaotix a shot and had a lot of fun with it. Most of the fun comes from playing around with the ring tether and special stages rather than traditional Sonic momentum.

• Thumbs Up 1

From Cybershell's latest video it seems that it's confirmed from some Japanese page that Knuckles isn't playable in CD. That's disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 1

A random thought that hasn't been confirmed - I wonder if Sonic 3's Competition mode will be completely intact?

The way the mode had different feeling physics and the compressed art style with unique, simplified sprites for the characters etc makes me wonder whether we can take it for granted that it's gotten remade or not.

Sonic 2's VS Mode was clearly running on the same mechanics as the main mode but that too could be absent.

It's worth noting that the Steam page only marks the game as Single-Player.

They're not massive casualties because it's not like the stage design on Sonic 3 Competition was particularly awe-inspiring, but I always gave them a playthrough on Time Attack mode after finishing the main game just to enjoy the unique music and atmospheres of the 5 stages.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question, will all 3 characters be playable in all 4 games? I don't think we had that before, Knuckles in Sonic CD and stuff.

Of course if Sega REALLY wanted us to love them, they would just make Amy playable, even as non-canon unlock. Or just Mighty and Ray, if they really fear making anything new. I'm aware that older games weren't build with them in mind. but that didn't stop Sega from making "Knuckles in Sonic 2" back a days

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Question, will all 3 characters be playable in all 4 games? I don't think we had that before, Knuckles in Sonic CD and stuff.

Of course if Sega REALLY wanted us to love them, they would just make Amy playable, even as non-canon unlock. Or just Mighty and Ray, if they really fear making anything new. I'm aware that older games weren't build with them in mind. but that didn't stop Sega from making "Knuckles in Sonic 2" back a days

Knuckles is not in Sonic CD, this was confirmed, but he'll be in 1-3K. 

• Thumbs Up 1