Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Trailer was really neat! Love that it's including the Whitehead versions, the animations are top notch (Powerhouse did them which is REALLY cool), and the overall presentation as shown in the video and screenshots are incredible. Making full 3-D models for the islands (what island is Sonic CD on???) is the icing on the cake for an old fan like me and I can't wait to get a chance to play it!

...and then the other shoe dropped and they announced it was digital only with no physical edition. Amazing how I can go from a day one purchase to no purchase at all with one line of text. *deep sigh* Hopefully (and I expect it will) this does well enough for "Sonic Origins Plus" to get a physical release later with playable Mighty and Ray and I'll finally be able to play these versions on something other than Sega Forever. Till then, guess I'll enjoy the new assets and check out the animated stuff when someone inevitably uploads them onto Youtube.

Sega...Did you not learn the first time that no one likes Denuvo? They have to have some kind of contract to use it in X amount of games or something why do they keep doing this?

FQzQ1l-WQAIYhHj.jpg

Just catching up. Beautiful trailer and I love the animations. Each game getting an animated intro & ending is all kinds of awesome. Pretty cool that we can play the original 4:3 versions (via classic mode) and in 16:9 (via anniversary mode). I guess the coins replacing the lives system in anniversary mode is...interesting enough. It's a shame you also can't have the normal lives system in anniversary mode, but....whatever. Disappointed there's no physical edition, perhaps we'll get one next year when they release "Sonic Origins Plus" with Encore mode😅

Good to see all the features from the mobile ports are returning. Hopefully there will be new routes added to the new version of Sonic 3K and I'm so fucking happy for Stealth's involvement. Can't wait to see what surprises Stealth has in store for us with 3K. Maybe the short Sonic 3 multiplayer stages (Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace & Endless Mine) will be made into full playable acts in one-player mode (which is something Stealth & Taxman were considering when they pitched the 3K remaster years ago)?!

Knuckles not being playable in CD makes no sense. I mean they've obviously modified the CD remaster to include the coins & no lives system in anniversary mode so why can't they add Knuckles....

I hope the drop-dash has been added to all 4 games.

It is cool they are including music from Chaotix, Spinball & 3D Blast. Although they should have added those games as well (even if just as roms).

Overall it looks like a good collection. Tons of replay value. Excited for 23rd June. I've already got that week off work, so  gonna play Origins to death and then some :D

I wonder what the music situation will be regarding Sonic 3? I mean, if they are only using the beta music then they will need to modify the 3K rom for the 4:3 version (unless the 4:3 version is also being rebuilt from the ground up). Perhaps the 4:3 version will have the original release music (with the MJ tracks) and the 16:9 version will have the beta music???

Today is a good day.

Mixed feelings, for the obvious and stated reasons on this thread. Yes, it looks good, looks nice and polished, and for all intents and purposes, this should basically be the final, definitive version of these games. I would hope this will be the last time these games need ported and instead every new console Sega will just re-release Sonic Origins. (Hopefully with the DLC included next time.)

My issues have to do with pricing, especially for the PC and Switch versions. Currently, you can buy the Sonic CD port on Steam for £3.99, not to mention emulated versions of 1, 2, and 3&K for £3.99 each. Wondering if the Steam version of Sonic CD will be quietly delisted to make room for Sonic Origins. And on the Switch, they've also got those Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, each at £5.99.

Currently, the Xbox version of Origins base version is £32.99, Deluxe edition being £36.98. So basically, that comes to £8.25 per game for the standard version. (Counting 3&K as a single game.) Not great value really. I imagine this is counting on the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox S/X - I believe - not having access to any of the 4 games.

It also doesn't help that, ofcourse, every listed version also has Sonic Mania, standard price of £15.99, and its £3.99 DLC is extremely good value for money. In fact, Sonic Mania is on half price sale right now on PSN for £7.99. I certainly wouldn't recommend Origins over Mania to any newcomer, that's for sure.

It also has the same problem that Sonic Colours Ultimate had, it is a re-releasing adding a bunch of fluff as extras that nobody asked for to justify the high price tag. Now granted, this seems far better intigrated than Colours Ultimate's stuff, the UI looks gorgeous, and the animations look great. But it does exist to justify the price tag, rather than giving us what most people wanted, and that was for a proper compilation of Sonic's older titles. When will the Game Gear games get re-released, or the likes of 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine, Spinball etc? Nobody outside the fandom cares about those kindof obscure titles, and its hard not to feel like that an opportunity was squandered here.

Just spotted the little icon next to Sonic on the character select.

spacer.png

Almost definitely where you'll be able to swap-out Sonic's secondary moves. Hoping for a proper max-control option as an unlockable this time rather than being confined to a temporary cheat code.

It would be super dope if they gave sonic 1 and 2 animated stage transitions. Even better if it was for sonic 3k but that probably wouldn't go over well with a lot of classic fans. I'd love to see the epic moment when sonic runs up the collapsing pillar in sky sanctuary zone, locked in battle with mecha sonic, into the death egg. 

2 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Collection is looking awesome already, even if locking some stuff behind deluxe editions is kind of weird. The music pack including chaotix/3d blast music makes me wonder if they wanted to remaster those games too at some point?

One thing this collection continues that I really enjoy about modern game releases, is that collections seem to have a lot more effort put into them nowadays.

I love the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast and I would love to be able to play this version in newer hardware

Classic and Anniversary Mode
Choose to Spin Dash your way through the numerous zones in Classic mode with the game's original resolution and limited lives, or the new Anniversary mode with unlimited lives and revamped full screen resolution.

Wait there actually locking widescreen support behind an easy mode? There joking right?

I'll never understand why people are upset that lives are removed from Sonic (same for Colors Ultimate). Like, you guys don't actually game over in a Sonic game...right?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

I'll never understand why people are upset that lives are removed from Sonic (same for Colors Ultimate). Like, you guys don't actually game over in a Sonic game...right?

Lives being removed for east mode ok fine, but forcing people to use that mode for widescreen support, when Sonic CD supported widescreen without removing lives, feels like fundamentally awful idea.

I think this is a great buy for Switch, but everything else I do not see the point of choosing this over the fanmade remasters.

Looking good but man that price tag kind of annoys me. Gonna wait for more details on the complete package because $40 standard for some remastered Genesis games sounds... Hm...

Interested in those animated cutscenes though, wonder if they'll be like Sonic CD's cutscenes or more like proper opening and ending cutscenes per game.

7 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

Lives being removed for east mode ok fine, but forcing people to use that mode for widescreen support, when Sonic CD supported widescreen without removing lives, feels like fundamentally awful idea.

It's a bit dumb that it seems you can't toggle them independently but the lives system in Sonic is basically pointless so there's no actual harm to it.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

I saw that there were supposed to be new areas to explore in the game, or games. What exactly does that mean? Just actual all new areas in the games to go through? I am curious.

They might simply be referring to the fact that new routes are added in Sonic 1 and 2 for Tails and Knuckles, which was true of the mobile ports as well.

9 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

As someone who has not seen a Game Over screen in any of these games in decades, I'm kinda looking forward to 1up monitors meaning literally anything at all when I bust them open.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would have liked to see Sonic 4 in this collection. At the very least give it more life so it isn't stuck on two storefronts.

45 fucking dollars?  These games better use the Denuvo they will probably be loaded with to actually blow me over Steam for that much. At least it's not the M2 versions, but for fuck's sake Sega charged the same price that they're charging for music tracks for these whole ass games a decade ago the first time they were released.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, Slashy said:

I would have liked to see Sonic 4 in this collection. At the very least give it more life so it isn't stuck on two storefronts.

Sonic 4, in spite of it's name and complete lack of original ideas (for Episode 1 at least), is a modern Sonic game through and through and has no place in a collection that serves to literally, in name and everything, portray the franchise's origins.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's a bit dumb that it seems you can't toggle them independently but the lives system in Sonic is basically pointless so there's no actual harm to it.

The lives system isn't what I'm focusing on, I expected that to be removed from that mode. Imagine for the Halo Anniversary, easy and normal mode has the option to switch between classic/enhanced graphic uncapped framerate, the resolution of your choosing ,16:9 aspect ratio, and an FOV of 90, but for heroic and legendary you are forces to play with classic graphics, 480p, 4:3 aspect ratio, and an FOV of 76. You would think that would be a bad idea. Why should I be punished by playing a downgraded version because I want live enabled?

When I look at this from a general point of view, its not as bad.

If I had never played Classic Sonic and wanted to officially, this would be the way.

But still lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trailer looks great. Really looking forward to replaying these games with the new optimizations. 

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

When I look at this from a general point of view, its not as bad.

If I had never played Classic Sonic and wanted to officially, this would be the way.

But still lol.

The thing is this should be the best way to play it period. This is the same kind of reasoning that people are criticizing Nintendo's retro game offerings for.

6 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

The lives system isn't what I'm focusing on, I expected that to be removed from that mode. Imagine for the Halo Anniversary, easy and normal mode has the option to switch between classic/enhanced graphic uncapped framerate, the resolution of your choosing ,16:9 aspect ratio, and an FOV of 90, but for heroic and legendary you are forces to play with classic graphics, 480p, 4:3 aspect ratio, and an FOV of 76. You would think that would be a bad idea. Why should I be punished by playing a downgraded version because I want live enabled?

Having lives doesn't make the game any more difficult, it just makes you play bits of it over again when you fail an arbitrary amount of times.

Hell, as far as we know, dying might make you lose a coin anyway - if that's the case you can just pause and start over whenever you hit zero coins.

Granted, I guess I'm not really arguing because I agree that there's literally no reason why they couldn't have lives as a toggable option for anniversary mode.  But lives are still an outdated artifact of the coin-operated game era and add no real challenge other than punishing those who struggle and serving as an imaginary threat for those who will never see a game over screen.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

I think removing life system is more of a Quality of Life improvement than actually making the game easier, because you can save the game anyway...

No lives is horrible for one reason: People need to experience the death egg robot experience.

Joking aside, the lives system not being toggleable is kind of weird sure, but probably better for the kids who get this game after seeing Sonic 2 on Hulu/Netflix (if it goes to a streaming platform by June 23rd). Accessibility is everything for Sonic right now with how many new fans the movies may be bringing in (and/or parents who never played the games, but may have an interest after being dragged along to see the movies)