Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

5 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Having lives doesn't make the game any more difficult, it just makes you play bits of it over again when you fail an arbitrary amount of times.

It puts pressure on you to succeed over a longer period of time instead of just having the freedom slamming your head against every new challenge bit by bit. It enforces a better understand of the game and it's mechanics and punishes risky or bad plays way more harshly.

If they didn't actually make the game more difficult they would have left them in.

4 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

Joking aside, the lives system not being toggleable is kind of weird sure, but probably better for the kids who get this game after seeing Sonic 2 on Hulu/Netflix (if it goes to a streaming platform by June 23rd). Accessibility is everything for Sonic right now with how many new fans the movies may be bringing in (and/or parents who never played the games, but may have an interest after being dragged along to see the movies)

A toggle wouldn't affect accessibility. It literally just gives the player more options.

This is the type of thing that can be fixed post launch with a patch so I think people should push for it while the game is still being worked on.

10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Having lives doesn't make the game any more difficult, it just makes you play bits of it over again when you fail an arbitrary amount of times.

8 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

I think removing life system is more of a Quality of Life improvement than actually making the game easier, because you can save the game anyway...

Having a no lives option is fine, but the point I'm trying to make is that If I want to play with lives I shouldn't be forced to play at a locked resolution/aspect ratio

Pros

Animations look dope, and I assume the "story mode" is just anniversary mode. Yeah all these features are locked under it because of the "pure retro" version option.

The menus are fantastic, especially the 3D islands thing

New areas, rank, missions, extra features and Mirror Mode.

Whitehead working on it yeaaah, it was meant to be, so that he could finish porting all the major classic games

It's kind of deserving the definition of "best way to place the classics" and it was about time there was one on consoles

I'm really not too bothered about the lack of lives with high resolution, who cares about lives, it's literally just that.

Cons

The digital deluxe has stupid stuff that doesn't really warrant one but yeah, they did it with Colors Ultimate too, just optional cosmetics basically or stuff unlocked from the start, the animations obviously are NOT locked under that as confirmed by Katie

Just too many freaking pricings and versions, I mean... 5??? Why. It's so confusing

The character menu for Sonic 1 looks ass, unlike any other menu in the game

I'm not too fond of the extra free in-game currency with the special edition.

If it's digital only, I still think 40 bucks is too much. But whatever, I am a fan and it looks like a good package, I will gladly pay 45 too for the Digital Deluxe because I want every bit of content in it.

Also: I notice CD comes before 2, and S3&K is considered as one game once again. Cool. It makes sense CD canonically comes first and Sonic 2 is followed by 3 and Knux, story wise at least, they kept 2 before CD for sometime just due to the release times.

If it's not clear in my post, I am more excited for this than initially, with last year's announcement. Like, a lot more, it's more or less what I was hoping for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly didn't expect this much stuff, I thought it was going to be a barebones collection with widescreen.

Now it would be nice to have Knuckles in Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just saw the trailer and I'm really excited for this game! Although, I was hoping that it wasn't going to be a digital only collection...

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

t puts pressure on you to succeed over a longer period of time instead of just having the freedom slamming your head against every new challenge bit by bit. It enforces a better understand of the game and it's mechanics and punishes risky or bad plays way more harshly.

If they didn't actually make the game more difficult they would have left them in.

None of these things are conducive to having lives and conversely it can also encourage players to be less risky and experimental, which in a game that boasts multiple movement options and ways to traverse the level with varying degrees of difficulty probably runs counter to what these games are known for.

I don’t care if lives are there or not as someone who played these games extensively they’re effectively a non factor in my enjoyment but crucial to the experience they are not in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.thumb.png.7f71f6979c6d6a4da9f2e315114fd35b.png

Something I'm not sure if it was pointed out or not, tails following knuckles in Sonic 2. Did this happen if you played Knuckles in Sonic 2 with lockon? Will tails be able to follow knuckles in Sonic 3 as well I wonder?

3 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

So

Apologies if this was posted, I just woke up and saw the trailer.

Ah man I really hope that second one is real and we can use Sonic 1/2 sprites in the other games. I've never liked how the Sonic 3 sprites looked, I'd adore being able to use sonic 2s sprites instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's genuinely upsetting how stupid and confusing their shitty chart is. Just sell the damn game.

The pricing is ridiculous, especially with most of these games being based off previously completed ports. Also fuck Denuvo.

I'll probably pick this up on Switch sometime but as far as PC goes I'll gladly stick with the 1/2/CD decompilations and Sonic 3 AIR.

18 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Ian Flynn had confirmed he wrote the scripts for the animated scenes for the new Story Mode in Origins:

https://bumbleking.com/sonic-origins-revealed/

Ian writing the script means we're probably getting a lot more than some quick transitions

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

The pricing is ridiculous, especially with most of these games being based off previously completed ports. Also fuck Denuvo. I'll gladly stick with the 1/2/CD decompilations and Sonic 3 AIR.

Sure, but it's got a ton of bonus content packed in that make it worthwhile for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Sure, but it's got a ton of bonus content packed in that make it worthwhile for me.

The cutscenes are really the only things about this collection I'm interested in and I can just watch them on YouTube

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Ian Flynn had confirmed he wrote the scripts for the animated scenes for the new Story Mode in Origins:

https://bumbleking.com/sonic-origins-revealed/

Not sure how you can write a "Script" if the characters (Presumably) have no dialogue.

Overall, Colour me impressed. Not sure about the pricing structure though. Looks more like an options list for a BMW 5 Series than a video game!

Origins island animations from the Sonic Jp youtube channel (videos are currently unlisted):

Sonic 1 & CD:

Edit:

Sonic 2:

3&K:

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, MGA_Gamer said:

Not sure how you can write a "Script" if the characters (Presumably) have no dialogue.

Overall, Colour me impressed. Not sure about the pricing structure though. Looks more like an options list for a BMW 5 Series than a video game!

Scripts also describe how action plays out as well as dialogue. He may write out an action scene for the animators to create.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

A story mode that connects all 4 games? Ah good, so we can finally put the "Where does Sonic CD fit chronologically" debates to rest, finally.
Would be unlikely, but funny if Sonic 4 gets a nod after beating Sonic and Knuckles. Or the elevator of Mania, who knows.

Well if the trailer is anything to go by then they may have already cleared that up. They Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3 and then S&K in that order. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if the animations were why it took so long to announce Origins properly? I mean, everything (disregarding the dlc thing) looks super high quality, so the wait was worth it imo...just kinda makes you wonder.

• Thumbs Up 3