Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Yeah it looks cool, but not $40 worth. Especially with no physical versions, something the TMNT collection (also releasing with new content with more games) is able to do, a intentionally confusing chart probably done to get people to just say “fuck it” and spend the extra 5 bucks and pre order, and a lack of any interesting new content, I’m overall pretty mixed on this overall so eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope that the animated sequences for Sonic 2 show how Sonic and Tails met, or at the very least show us some heart-warming moments between the two (like the fireplace scene in the second movie). 🤞

4 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Origins animations from the Sonic Jp youtube channel (both videos are currently unlisted):

Westside Island

And Angel Island

The screenshot of Angel Island on the website shows it flying, without the Death Egg crashed into it. I'm looking forward to seeing the islands in full 3D. Its a great new feature. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, azoo said:

I'm going to assume it was a combination of the animations and porting Sonic 3K.

That sounds about right, to be honest.

On that note, I wonder if there truly IS a sprite swapper for all the games? It'd make the "additional animations" think make sense, if that also applies to gameplay...

Who'll be the madman using Sonic 3 Sonic in all games?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

That sounds about right, to be honest.

On that note, I wonder if there truly IS a sprite swapper for all the games? It'd make the "additional animations" think make sense, if that also applies to gameplay...

I like the Sonic 3 Sonic...so guess I'll be the one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, FReaK said:

I like the Sonic 3 Sonic...so guess I'll be the one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But why tho?

Unrelated, but

This real?

6 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

But why tho?

Unrelated, but

This real?

AH SNAP! Goddamn it SEGA, get it together and reveal what's in and what's not in this fucking collection XD

I looooved this island-thingy, it gives me some Crash 1 vibe.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

It puts pressure on you to succeed over a longer period of time instead of just having the freedom slamming your head against every new challenge bit by bit. It enforces a better understand of the game and it's mechanics and punishes risky or bad plays way more harshly.

If they didn't actually make the game more difficult they would have left them in.

I'd argue that "more difficult" as a reason for taking them out and "more unenjoyable" for taking them out are both possibilities and not synonymous in meaning.  It's been three decades since the mechanics of these games were the standard - they're not the standard anymore.  I'd kind of rather players have a more forgiving experience of Sonic that allows them to experience the whole game than one that seems stupidly punishing by modern standards and then never experience anything past Chemical Plant because they have much, much more choice of stuff to play than we did at the time.

Beyond that... I feel like it'd be kind of a testament to how good the older games really are - whether they can captivate an interest in learning the mechanics and better understanding the game through sheer fun of play alone, rather than punishment for failure.

Granted it's kind of an off-topic subject in a way since I do agree with the basic idea that turning them back on should be an option in all game modes regardless, so everyone's happy.  I just get the feeling that most folks who argue for them are going to get an identical game experience either way.

• Thumbs Up 4

40 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Hear me out, Sonic Origins Plus with Chaotix and Spinball

I honestly have no idea how to feel about that. I’d rather have all that from the get go than being DLC for a $40 game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Hear me out, Sonic Origins Plus with Chaotix and Spinball

If Sonic Chaotix was remastered to be widescreen and some QoL changes (and maybe even letting sonic/tails be playable) then I'd be all for it. Let it be a Mania + situation where THAT is the version the physical comes with, and toss in a tiny artbook or something neat.

Why stop at Spinball and Chaotix? See if gamehut would let you use his director's cut version of 3d blast and toss that in there as well.

9 minutes ago, PickleBrows said:

So the Famitsu article has a few more details, one of the screenshots also had Widescreen with the lives system enables so it's possible lives are a toggle option.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202204/20258988.html

Hide contents

spacer.png

No, this screenshot appears under info about boss rush. Unlimited lives are most certainly disabled there.

Also, the Spinball island screenshot is real, it's in this article.

9 minutes ago, PickleBrows said:

So the Famitsu article has a few more details, one of the screenshots also has Widescreen with the lives system enabled so it's possible lives are a toggle option.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202204/20258988.html

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Where did the score go? I wonder if that screenshot is from a challenge mission, where the score is hidden because it serves no purpose.

Important thing to note

[Playable Characters]
In "Anniversary Mode", you can select and play a character from "Sonic", "Tails", and "Knuckles".

* "Knuckles" can be selected from "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Sonic the Hedgehog 2", and "Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles".

No Sonic CD and Knuckles 😞

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 minute ago, LegoFedora said:

Where did the score go? I wonder if that screenshot is from a challenge mission, where the score is hidden because it serves no purpose.

This is probably a screenshot of boss rush mode 

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

I'd argue that "more difficult" as a reason for taking them out and "more unenjoyable" for taking them out are both possibilities and not synonymous in meaning.  It's been three decades since the mechanics of these games were the standard - they're not the standard anymore.  I'd kind of rather players have a more forgiving experience of Sonic that allows them to experience the whole game than one that seems stupidly punishing by modern standards and then never experience anything past Chemical Plant because they have much, much more choice of stuff to play than we did at the time.

Beyond that... I feel like it'd be kind of a testament to how good the older games really are - whether they can captivate an interest in learning the mechanics and better understanding the game through sheer fun of play alone, rather than punishment for failure.

I mean, I was actually writing a topic about this: how for Sonic 2 specifically, the mechanics were perfect for the time period but don't really mesh with the way young players engage with games now. I don't have a problem with them being taken out, and even if I did it's one mode for one release that'll just go on a pile of versions of Sonic 2 I already have. It's more valuable to have versions that do different shit when you get to my level of Sonic fandom. I've always been curious about how fun new collectables would be in these games and now I get to try it out. No biggie.

I just tend to speak up for punishment as a valid learning incentive because that's how I prefer my games. It doesn't make sense for Sega's goals for Sonic since Sega decided Sonic was going to be an easygoing, accessible brand a long time ago, but I think there's validity in a punish system that gets inside your head. Not only do I think it was legitimate difficulty, it was important for building the attachment I have to Sonic 2 today.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I mean, I was actually writing a topic about this: how for Sonic 2 specifically, the mechanics were perfect for the time period but don't really suit the modern player's needs for a lot of reasons. I don't have a problem with them being taken out, and even if I did it's one mode for one release that'll just go on a pile of versions of Sonic 2 I already have. It's more valuable to have versions that do different shit when you get to my level of Sonic fandom.

I just tend to speak up for punishment as a valid learning incentive because that's how I prefer my games. It doesn't make sense for Sega's goals for Sonic since Sega decided Sonic was going to be an easygoing, accessible brand a long time ago, but I think there's validity in a punish system that gets inside your head. It is legitimate difficulty, whether it's widely beloved or not.

It's legitimate difficulty, but only to a certain point. The Classic games don't divy up their challenges. You could blast through every zone in S2 before getting a Game Over in Death Egg because suddenly the game decides you have to play with absolute perfection. And then you'd have to play through the entire game again without having had any opportunity to practice against the two 1HKO bosses you fought back to back. 7 year old me couldn't find the hit box on the Death Egg Robo! Or on the flip side, you could just grind out lives early on (sometimes without trying) and make the rest of the a joke. 

Modern games often take things too far with the removal of the lives system which in effect removes all incentive to play well and instead encourages brute force. That's why I like the ranking systems, especially from SA2 to 06. You had to play the game well to get those ranks. And another alternative is presented in Unleashed Wii. Even though that game is awful, it had a really good lives system. Every time you started a level, you only had three lives and you couldn't replenish or earn more of them as you played that level (I think). Therefore, your challenge was to complete any level in a set number of attempts using checkpoints. If you failed that, then you had to start the level from the beginning again. You could unlock permanent upgrades to your life count in the hubs. 

It's been a long time since I've come close to getting a Game Over in a Classic Sonic game. This change won't really impact me personally. But yeah I think that there are more elegant solutions to the "extra lives" problem than always removing them outright. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Pros

Animations look dope, and I assume the "story mode" is just anniversary mode. Yeah all these features are locked under it because of the "pure retro" version option.

The menus are fantastic, especially the 3D islands thing

New areas, rank, missions, extra features and Mirror Mode.

Whitehead working on it yeaaah, it was meant to be, so that he could finish porting all the major classic games

It's kind of deserving the definition of "best way to place the classics" and it was about time there was one on consoles

I'm really not too bothered about the lack of lives with high resolution, who cares about lives, it's literally just that.

Cons

The digital deluxe has stupid stuff that doesn't really warrant one but yeah, they did it with Colors Ultimate too, just optional cosmetics basically or stuff unlocked from the start, the animations obviously are NOT locked under that as confirmed by Katie

Just too many freaking pricings and versions, I mean... 5??? Why. It's so confusing

The character menu for Sonic 1 looks ass, unlike any other menu in the game

I'm not too fond of the extra free in-game currency with the special edition.

If it's digital only, I still think 40 bucks is too much. But whatever, I am a fan and it looks like a good package, I will gladly pay 45 too for the Digital Deluxe because I want every bit of content in it.

Also: I notice CD comes before 2, and S3&K is considered as one game once again. Cool. It makes sense CD canonically comes first and Sonic 2 is followed by 3 and Knux, story wise at least, they kept 2 before CD for sometime just due to the release times.

If it's not clear in my post, I am more excited for this than initially, with last year's announcement. Like, a lot more, it's more or less what I was hoping for.

It's only two versions (Standard and Deluxe), the other ones are DLCs. The first one is the pre-order bonus that comes with both the Standard and Deluxe versions, the other two are upcoming DLCs that you'll be able to buy having any version.

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

If it's a thing... then most certainly me. It's always been my favourite sprite/version of Sonic. IMO has more attitude/personality than the stoic S1/2 versions (and was the only thing about Mania I disliked with them going back towards that original look). 

Do I fall into a 0.5% category for liking the Sonic 3 sprite lol?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's Sonic 3 sprite is by far the most lavishly animated and expressive. I'd never use any other if it was an option and Mania going back to the previous style was always the greatest example of fan-wankery to me in a game that already leaned a bit much into self-indulgence as is.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Unrelated, but

I wonder with this one (can't read the Japanese text), but does it actually confirm Sonic Spinball (and missions for THAT game), or is it just a cheeky menu Easter Egg Island background, like specifically for the Mission Menu with the 6th toggle being "Options" or something. 

Oh god... I love that they leaned heavy into the classic Sonic Font/Typeface for the headers... thats the bread and butter service I enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?

Aurora Borealis! :)

Joking aside, That doesn't look like any classic Sonic level I can remember. Looks incredibly difficult!

• Thumbs Up 1