Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

It looks like the drop-dash is indeed in Origins-or at least in the new version of 3K. It's hard to see it, but in the trailer (I've done a quick gif) in the Marble Garden clip Sonic turns into ball form just before he hits the ground thus activating the drop-dash.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, TheOcelot said:

It looks like the drop-dash is indeed in Origins-or at least in the new version of 3K. It's hard to see it, but in the trailer (I've done a quick gif - see below) in the Marble Garden clip Sonic turns into ball form just before he hits the ground thus activating the drop-dash.

giphy.gif

Here's a frame by frame image to help get your point across, looks like he may have unique sprites that differ per game? Maybe I see a different art style because I want to see one, but it looks different than the drop dash mania had.

Did the switch ports of 1/2 have the drop dash looking like this?

1650475582088.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

Well if the trailer is anything to go by then they may have already cleared that up. They Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3 and then S&K in that order. 

but Sonic 4 already explained all this perfectly.

Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3's entire story happening concurrently somehow -> Sonic 4 Episode 1 -> Sonic CD (AKA Sonic 4 Episode 2: Origins) -> Sonic 4 Episode 2.

• Chuckle 5

15 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3's entire story happening concurrently somehow -> Sonic 4 Episode 1 -> Sonic CD (AKA Sonic 4 Episode 2: Origins) -> Sonic 4 Episode 2.

We don't talk about Sonic 4

• Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

22 minutes ago, Tornado said:

But whilst Sonic 4 is a narrative sequel (of sorts) to CD, how can Episode 1 take place before CD?

I don't think that Episode Metal represents Sonic CD taking place between the two episode partitions of Sonic 4 - it just signifies that Eggman is able to reactivate Metal Sonic again now that the Miracle Planet has reappeared. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

But whilst Sonic 4 is a narrative sequel (of sorts) to CD, how can Episode 1 take place before CD?

I don't think that Episode Metal represents Sonic CD taking place between the two episode partitions of Sonic 4 - it just signifies that Eggman is able to reactivate Metal Sonic again now that the Miracle Planet has reappeared. 

I don't think it really matters since the thrust of the joke was that Sonic 4 was so badly inserted into the series timeline that it didn't know the order of operations for the game it was a sequel to.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

But why tho?

Unrelated, but

This real?

The screenie's real, but I'm pretty sure it's an easter egg.

• Thumbs Up 1

spacer.png

This one image is one of the most interesting things to me. Is there no save select? Is that a different menu? No Sonic + Tails? And what about the little icon above Sonic? Is that for his moveset, or appearance? Why only Sonic? So many questions.

Silent cartoons don't typically have a "script" persay, the storyboard does that job, so either Flynn meant what's usually called an "outline" or theres dialog. Probably the former.

Either way, these added cutscenes and the all-in-one story mode are what actually got me interested in this rather than just sticking to endlessly tweaking and modding the decomps, which are these versions but more.

This is a fabulous collection for people who arent tremendous nerds like me tho :v

• Thumbs Up 4

26 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

We don't talk about Sonic 4

chaos emeralds,

rings along his back,

when you win the game,

the screen turns to black,

Spoiler

No sonic 4 please.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I don't think it really matters since the thrust of the joke was that Sonic 4 was so badly inserted into the series timeline that it didn't know the order of operations for the game it was a sequel to.

Ahhhh gotcha, apologies. My sarcasm detection meter is clearly not functioning at all this evening 😅

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Who'll be the madman using Sonic 3 Sonic in all games?

Me. I like them the most.

This whole thing is definitely better than expected, but unless there are more surprises coming, the price is too high. 
I was worried they wouldn’t implement the Drop Dash but it seems they did.

for it to be worth this price it needs to have:

- Amy, Metal Sonic, Mighty and Ray as unlockable characters

- the game gear games , spinball, chaotix and mean bean machine unlockables in the museum too. Even not upscaled would be sufficient

Btw it is still very sad that in 2022, after the huge success of the movies, Sega is not pouring more money to make a full remake of the classic games, with new sprites in HD (a la Streets of Rage 4). They’re missing the opportunity to make a huge profit

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, AWild No.1 washed up gamer said:

chaos emeralds,

rings along his back,

when you win the game,

the screen turns to black,

Hide contents

No sonic 4 please.

Fools, when the story mode of Origins ends, we get a cutscene of Sonic getting into one of those torture machines to increase his height and after that putting on green contact lenses. Then he moves to Station Square.

42 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

The screenie's real, but I'm pretty sure it's an easter egg.

Yes, go ahead. Crush my dreams of Sonic Spinball in HD. You evil LEGO man.

• Thumbs Up 4

All I ask is to dear sweet lord is include the Jackson Tracks in 3 and not the goofy clown car tunes of the pc port T_T

Sorry, can't hear complaints about Sonic 3's proto tracks right now. Too busy jamming the hell out.

Let this be either a reminder of what we're probably getting, or if not then a salute to these tracks as we soon hear the MJ tracks in an official Sonic 3 port for the first time ever.

• Thumbs Up 7

I grew up with PC Collection, so I'm all in. I like the MJ tracks of the Mega Drive version, but it's unlikely we're gonna get them.... or is it?!

You must admit the MJ Carnival Night music is as "goofy clown car" as it gets, far more than the protos.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Jango said:

Fools, when the story mode of Origins ends, we get a cutscene of Sonic getting into one of those torture machines to increase his height and after that putting on green contact lenses. Then he moves to Station Square.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sonic actually has green eyes in the cutscenes, as shown here

spacer.png

Edit: Breaking NEWS. I don't know my colors, that's Brown.

I am in awe at the absolutely unexpected top quality of this collection from the team that made this, even if I wish it had more games. The presentation is top notch.

I am also in awe at how bastardly the heads at Sega continue to be with their price gouging and obsession with denuvo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, azoo said:

...Those are brown?

It has been established already that I have the brains of a goldfish

• Chuckle 4

22 minutes ago, Darkvizardberrytan said:

All I ask is to dear sweet lord is include the Jackson Tracks in 3 and not the goofy clown car tunes of the pc port T_T

You said this yet there's literally goofy clown music in the final soundtrack lol

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Jango said:

I grew up with PC Collection, so I'm all in. I like the MJ tracks of the Mega Drive version, but it's unlikely we're gonna get them.... or is it?!

I'm hoping part of this long wait is due to Sega and MJ estate yelling at each other over who owns what. Ideally, we get both soundtracks that can be toggled (like how I assume CD's soundtracks will be handled)

• Thumbs Up 4