Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Screw the Robotnik-Eggman name thing, I just want to know if Metal Sonic will be his lackey as in days of old!

Screw the Robotnik-Eggman name thing, I just want to know if Metal Sonic will be his lackey as in days of old!

Oh fuck yes Metal Sonic please, hopefully without elf shoes this time though. :P

I think it would be pretty interesting to have a smaller scale final boss (ala Metal) as opposed to a colossal contraption or a MOTW (or at least a sub-final boss or something), it'd be a nice contrast and no doubt the developers could come up with some pretty interesting scenarios and attacks.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

I don't know, the way SEGA has their Sonic games priced makes it seems like what wentos said is right.

Wii version same price as the HD versions(HD which clearly cost more to make) PS2 version... 30 dollars, which was the same as the wii version.

Actually the PS2 version cost that much since it's the easiest out of all versions to develop. Porting the Wii to PS2 is an easy process.

Oh yeah, the Wentos guy still plays along with everything so he must be pretty into it. A guy from NeoGAF managed to catch him for about 5 minutes on AIM before signing off again.

Aaron Strife from NeoGAF

[21:07] me: uh, hi. you're Wentos from 4chan, right?

[21:08] Wentos: hello, that i am

[21:09] me: is that project needlemouse game the thing you were talking about some months ago?

[21:09] Wentos: it did evolve from those preliminary concepts, yes

[21:10] me: do you know anything specific about it?

[21:10] Wentos: i do

[21:11] Wentos: but now that it's announced i'd really rather not jump sega's gun.

[21:11] me: I see

[21:11] me: well, I guess the big question is "are they going to fuck this one up"?

[21:12] Wentos: they can't afford to, and they're very well aware of it

[21:13] me: thanks for the info

[21:13] Wentos: of course.

[21:14] me: oh, one more thing, because the fan base is being stupid

[21:14] me: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...297_screen.jpg that's Sonic, right?

[21:15] Wentos: why would you say it wouldn't be sonic?

[21:15] me: I'm not saying that, I think it's Sonic

[21:16] me: but there's some paranoia that it's a new shitty friend or something

[21:16] Wentos: that paranoia is needless, sir.

[21:17] me: good to know

[21:20] Wentos logged off.

A Sega employee who's on GAF who worked with Valkyria Chronicles confirmed Wentos as a fake, or an employee who clearly doesnt care about his job.

and what else is a SEGA employee supposed to say? They can't say the guy is real, that would lead to bad publicity. There is no way of confirming weather he is real or fake, he won't give out his real name.

also, RubyEclipse is a community manager, just as AAUK is, he didn't work directly on VC.

Edited by ShadikatRawr

You know, it seems to me like many, many people these days seem to refer to "classic fans" as some sort of sub-group in the Sonic fanbase that are apparently distinct from the "standard fan", whereas not all that long ago, "newer fans" were often the ones that were talked about as if they were a kind of sub-group that were distinct from the "standard fans".

Like, is the belief that Sonic works best in 2D and that the Mega Drive games were supperior to the newer Sonic games starting to stop being the "norm" among fans these days or what?:huh:

Actually the PS2 version cost that much since it's the easiest out of all versions to develop. Porting the Wii to PS2 is an easy process.

Oh yeah, the Wentos guy still plays along with everything so he must be pretty into it. A guy from NeoGAF managed to catch him for about 5 minutes on AIM before signing off again.

A Sega employee who's on GAF who worked with Valkyria Chronicles confirmed Wentos as a fake, or an employee who clearly doesnt care about his job.

...Out of every question that could of been asked, they asked if the logo was Sonic?

...*facepalm*

It is OBVIOUSLY the Sonic logo, I swear people read too much into this shit. Sure guessing around is humorous, but people thinking Sonic is "dropping 3D", or "starting from scratch", or "this is something other than Sonic" are reading TOO DEEP into a fairly straightforward trailer! I mean, Sonic's driven hoverboards but that doesn't mean he's riding hoverboards from now on! Sonic's tried many different ideas to "go back to the roots" but that doesn't mean it was the rebirth of Sonic and all games were going to start anew from that point on! And thinking that logo was anything BUT Sonic after "Speed Returns", classic Sonic noises, a blue blur, rings, and the Sonic 1 logo are just thinking too much into a teaser.

And Wentos is most likely fake, for starters the whole "SEGA employee/insider/prophet" or whatever he claims he is backed up with a tendency to be very broad on what he says lead to the suspicion that he makes educated guesses that are a likely move to make if you just think about it for a second. Take the past to predict the future, one could say. Now, I know we all love rumors, and I can't say rumors haven't had legitity in the past, and I have reported rumors in the past, and indeed some of them have been a truth/false sentiment. But take it as just that, a rumor. If you try to confirm it's validity with yourself, you're just believing something with no other premise behind it but what someone with an alt-account could be saying for shits and giggles. Rumors can have truth to them, and there have been true rumors in the past which have prospered and good to keep in mind, but my point is that Wentos here really, and REALLY hasn't said anything extraordinary that someone who is smart enough and pays a bit of attention to the past can make a prediction about the future, and looking over the development of how the games are made and news and info on the game, you can use that to project a prediction on what happened or is going ot happen.

Edited by Rice Golem

I thought Wentos explained that. Didn't he explicitly say they're making the HD games, even though they know they'll make a loss, to improve Sonic's public image for the future, in an effort to make him a credible force in gaming again that even bitter hardcore retrofags will like buy?

If wentos is saying that then it sounds more like fanboy logic to me. For one why can't his pubic image or be a credible force be accomplished by releasing games on the wii? Mario anyone? Anyway thats besides the point any legitimate business will not make a something knowing that they will make a lose of said thing. Just to make themselves more credible to a certain sub group of people? Over making a profit? Come on, lets be realistic here.

As you say, they've already got the casual children gamers, but if they can get critical acclaim too and win back the skeptical old guard, that's more profit in the long term.

Above.

Edited by blackherox

You know, it seems to me like many, many people these days seem to refer to "classic fans" as some sort of sub-group in the Sonic fanbase that are apparently distinct from the "standard fan", whereas not all that long ago, "newer fans" were often the ones that were talked about as if they were a kind of sub-group that were distinct from the "standard fans".

Like, is the belief that Sonic works best in 2D and that the Mega Drive games were supperior to the newer Sonic games starting to stop being the "norm" among fans these days or what?:huh:

Maybe we need to be that sub-group, as newer generation are coming which rather prefer 3D Sonic games, as it's all about graphics these days.

Guest Jordan4K6

To be honest, I never liked the genesis games much. Teaser doesn't really mean anything, I don't get why people are saying "It's awesome" when there's no footage. I hope this comes for the DS or PSP, A 2D game would be much better on them. Who really cares about HD.

• Bad Quality Post 2

To be honest, I never liked the genesis games much. Teaser doesn't really mean anything, I don't get why people are saying "It's awesome" when there's no footage. I hope this comes for the DS or PSP, A 2D game would be much better on them. Who really cares about HD.

It's really more that the prospect the trailer tells us about is what we think is awesome :P.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that both names refer to the same character in general, and people just can't seem to call him what they want without getting pissy over a simple name change despite that. :rolleyes:

Just call him Robotnik and it's referring to the same guy as the person calling him Eggman, it's really that simple. Nothing trivial about it.

So, how many times did they call him Robotnik in Unleashed? Not once. You had to look it up in the manual or the the bookshelf to even see it written.

If they really want to not piss of people who prefer Robotnik, they have to actually call him Robotnik more than once per decade.

Whhatever console the game is on is no concern to be,neither does it bother me in the slightest. But if the game isn't coming to the Wii (which is an assumption at this point untill we find out more) well in my opinion they lose out on a chunk of that market. Granted I guess if its 2D it'll e chaeper to make and the sales of Mario nd Sonic at the Winter Olympic games will more than make up for any loses (if at all) occured by this game.

The market being far greater on the Wii console and Sonic Wii games selling much much more on said consoles.

As far as Sega commercial success goes, it sounds perfectly logical to me. Besides Sega Super Stars Tennis (which was bundled with the 360 for a while). I don't see any million sellers on the 360 or PS3. That and the Wii being the est selling console this generation does ya know have something to do with it.

EDit: Let me re-emphasis that I not to bothered about what system its on (I'm actually hoping to get a PS3 slim sometime soon).

It makes sense to me that any hardcore players exist on the PS3 or 360. Of course, some went for the Wii, but overall I think you'll have the bulk of hardcore players with the HD consoles.

Pfft, you're joking, right? HD is, like, almost a standard nowadays. And I'll sooner bake myself in a pie and serve myself with ice cream than buy a PSP for this game after what they just advertised.

I think dividing the fanbase is the most idiotic batshit ideology ever. I'm pretty sure any of the guys who grew up playing Sonic Adventure before the Genesis titles can certainly enjoy a 2-D Sonic game. It's absurd that these retro elites just want Sonic to be pixel shaded, checker-boarded, mute, and devoid of an actual plot. I say Sonic Team should have fun with the title and put as much as they want to. Screw the fans because a fanbase this large and divided can't agree on what to put on their butter toast let alone a Sonic game.

If you like Sonic in any form of media, whether it be the comics, videogames, cartoon series, or all, you are a Sonic fan. End of story.

Good thing you don't work at SEGA, because I think SEGA noticed themselves that the fanbase truly is split. It's not idiotic, it's reality if you study the dynamics of this fanbase compared to fanbases that lack this kind of drama from being in a successful franchise.

This fanbase was never like this until the franchise went downhill -- I've been here long enough to witness the change. This is unbelievable.

Edited by serpx

I don't get why people are saying "It's awesome" when there's no footage.

And I don't get why people are complaining when there's no footage. We've literally seen nothing.

If wentos is saying that then it sounds more like fanboy logic to me. For one why can't his pubic image or be a credible force be accomplished by releasing games on the wii? Mario anyone? Anyway thats besides the point any legitimate business will not make a something knowing that they will make a lose of said thing. Just to make themselves more credible to a certain sub group of people? Over making a profit? Come on, lets be realistic here.

...because the Wii is a "console lite" of insufficient manliness to render a HD game?

And I don't get why people are complaining when there's no footage. We've literally seen nothing.

Because Sonic Team has the track record of the 08-09 Detroit Lions

This fanbase was never like this until the franchise went downhill -- I've been here long enough to witness the change. This is unbelievable.

To be fair, the rise and popularity of the internet has more of a role in that then what would think.

Because Sonic Team has the track record of the 08-09 Detroit Lions

Technically we don't know even know if Sonic Team is making it. Even still without gameplay one cannot judge because gameplay makes the game (well for the most part).

...because the Wii is a "console lite" of insufficient manliness to render a HD game?

So, why does it have to be in HD? I Still don't buy it.

Edited by blackherox

I see no reason this game wouldn't be on the Wii, in some form.

They went out of their way to make Unleashed available to Wii owners, and it's a totally different game on that platform. And it worked for them, nice sales and even decent reviews. The only PS360 exclusive this gen has been Sonic '06, which tanked. Nintendo is still printing money, who doesn't want a friend that prints money?

And just checking, but you guys know that's Sonic in the trailer, right?

It's that ray of light that cuts the shadow into a funny shape. His head ends before that. In case some people were getting excited about the new Mariachi Revolution starring Pikachu announcement.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

To be fair, the rise and popularity of the internet has more of a role in that then what would think.

The internet was well saturated with Sonic fans in the 90s -- surely all the new broadband kids who came in wouldn't all have hated Sonic if they were to have joined in at Sonic's golden ages.

The fanbase was highly positive to the franchise, there wasn't conflict at this kind of scale. There still wouldn't be as intense of conflict if the games were still as great as the Adventure games, because we wouldn't be fighting on quality -- as the quality would be there.

I see no reason this game wouldn't be on the Wii, in some form.

You know, I see no reason for SEGA to just simply port some of those storybook games to the Xbox 360 and PS3, in some form.

Do you think these games not being multiplatform has something to do with money, available resources, or time constraints? Also, for a franchise that has been critically hit hard for almost a decade, don't you find it smarter for SEGA to focus on the exclusiveness of a game to maximize its potential and quality?

For some reason I'm extremely doubtful that it's a developer other than Sonic Team making the game. Maybe just the mysterious devotion to the project, but for such an ambitious return I'd expect Sega's most devoted dev team work on his eponimous return to the 2D area.

Also I really hope Dimps isn't developing the game. I've yet to see them make a good Sonic game since Pocket Adventure. And no, dont say Rush. Alot of it felt like it was Sonic Advance 2 that forgot it wanted to be Sonic Unleashed in 2D.

The internet was well saturated with Sonic fans in the 90s --

The internet was no were near as big or popular in the early 90's then it is now. Not that no one used it, but it was more popularized coming towards the end of the century (if not the early 21st century).

surely all the new broadband kids who came in wouldn't all have hated Sonic if they were to have joined in at Sonic's golden ages.

Diversity of opinions increasesd as the popularization of the internet incraesed.

The fanbase was highly positive to the franchise, there wasn't conflict at this kind of scale. There still wouldn't be as intense of conflict if the games were still as great as the Adventure games, because we wouldn't be fighting on quality -- as the quality would be there.

While and element of what you said is true, it is not solely that. As given by what I said above. Fanbases conflict all over the internet. Its nothing exclusive to this fanbase or others out there, while the quality of the games hasn't helped its not solely because of that. The attitude of the actual individuals involved is also something to bear in mind.

You know, I see no reason for SEGA to just simply port some of those storybook games to the Xbox 360 and PS3, in some form.

Do you think these games not being multiplatform has something to do with[b] money, [/b]available resources, or time constraints?

Money yes.

Also, for a franchise that has been critically hit hard for almost a decade, don't you find it smarter for SEGA to focus on the exclusiveness of a game to maximize its potential and quality?

Sega care more about how much money there are going to make from the games that there investing money in, then whether they get critical acclaim, glory or whateva. Fact. Sample applied to every other pulisher and developer. Not that what you said is invalid. I'm just saying those are Sega's priorities.

Edited by blackherox

Kidd, Unleashed wasnt bad at all. All the reviewers that reviewed the game were just HELLA BIAS. We all know that! If anything the only bad thing about the game was the wii/ps2 version and the werehog. The HD versions (without the night-hog) were at a level of greatness.

Edited by Black suit Shadic

I don't think the schism between Old and New fans is anything to do with the development of the Internet, I joined here back in 2003 (by which time the net was in full swing) and everything seemed pretty peaceful and civilised (well, except for you know who...). I just chalk it up as a direct effect of Sega drastically altering the philosphy of the series between releases, resulting in games of contrasting styles, each with it's own fans. In an ideal world, this would lead to interesting and civilized discussion, although in reality it only really results in petty name calling (Newschool/Retro fags lololololol) and childish flaming. Oh well.

I have to say though, I have noticed a lot of members either leaving the forums completely or restricting themselves to the sub forums outside of the Sonic Related ones recently, I do get the impression from a lot of people here that people of certain opinions are unwelcome.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

The internet was no were near as big or popular in the early 90's then it is now. Not that no one used it, but it was more popularized coming towards the end of the century (if not the early 21st century).

Diversity of opinions increasesd as the popularization of the internet incraesed.

While and element of what you said is true, it is not solely that. As given by what I said above. Fanbases conflict all over the internet. Its nothing exclusive to this fanbase or others out there, while the quality of the games hasn't helped its not solely because of that. The attitude of the actual individuals involved is also something to bear in mind.

Show me the fanbase of a healthy critically-acclaimed franchise that conflicts anywhere near the Sonic fanbase.

Yes, the internet wasn't as popular, but the Sonic fanworld was still well-saturated. There was actually 20x more Sonic fansites then than now -- I feel like we've actually lost a huge deal of Sonic fans (and fan opinions), than gained.

Anyone remember all the overabundance of Sonic fansites? The times where The Sonic Foundation was a popular site, and when SonicHQ was much more active.

Kidd, Unleashed wasnt bad at all. All the reviewers that reviewed the game were just HELLA BIAS. We all know that! If anything the only bad thing about the game was the wii/ps2 version and the werehog. The HD versions (without the night-hog) were at a level of greatness.

You're being sarcastic right?

Also, much of the "reviewer" scores were hella down due to the werehog, which you excluded from "level of greatness" in your last sentence. Are you being bias? Surely anyone not bias would proclaim him as being amazing.