Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Show me the fanbase of a healthy critically-acclaimed franchise that conflicts anywhere near the Sonic fanbase.

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRRRRRS!

Those guys make the Sonic fanbase look like a group of classy aristocrats.

Show me the fanbase of a healthy critically-acclaimed franchise that conflicts anywhere near the Sonic fanbase.

''Nintendo have abandoned the hardcore, bunch of faggots''

''Oh shut up, your talking rubbish there doing just fine''

Not to mention the whole console fanboy thing that goes on in the online gaming community.I think your grossly exaggearting the conflict in this fanbase or haven't spent as much time in others. The community really isn't that bad. Events like Summer of Sonic and SAGE show this.

Yes, the internet wasn't as popular, but the Sonic fanworld was still well-saturated. There was actually 20x more Sonic fansites then than now -- I feel like we've actually lost a huge deal of Sonic fans (and fan opinions), than gained.

That doesn't change my diversity of opinion comment. And while there are less fansites now ( lets assume) people close them for different reasons. ''Don't have the time or money' being a prominent one. Whle Sonic doesn't age, we as humans do and with that comes more requirements from the outside world.

Edited by blackherox

I am honsest to god sick of that goddamn Sonic Cycle. So sick of it that I wish a thousand deaths upon whoever created the damn thing. Not because of the negativity involved, but because EVERYONE pulls it up as if it's law.

Edited by Slasher

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRRRRRS!

Those guys make the Sonic fanbase look like a group of classy aristocrats.

What does the fanbase generally clash about though? Is it regarding the characters in the game, or the game and Nintendo sucking itself?

There's a difference in these kind of clashes, because one clash is just from people engaged in a fun combative game made by a company, and another clash is because a company can't manage to satisfy its fanbase.

I don't know the Super Smash fanbase though, I'm just speculating, so that's why I ask.

''Nintendo have abandoned the hardcore, bunch of faggots''

''Oh shut up, your talking rubbish there doing just fine''

Not to mention the whole console fanboy thing that goes on in the online gaming community.I think your grossly exaggearting the conflict in this fanbase or haven't spent as much time in others.

That doesn't change my diversity of opinion comment. And while there are less fansites now ( lets assume) people close them for different reasons. ''Don't have the time or money' being a prominent one. Whle Sonic doesn't age, we as humans do and with that comes more requirements from the outside world.

I've been in other fanbases, namely Halo, so this fanbase truly is interesting to me. Where as a lot of fanbases, even with Nintendo, are 85% - 90% positive for their game company and future Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc., the positivity for SEGA/Sonic Team and their future Sonic games is just way way WAY low.

I am honsest to god sick of that goddamn Sonic Cycle. So sick of it that I wish a thousand deaths upon whoever created the damn thing. Not because of the negativity involved, but because EVERYONE pulls it up as if it's law.

Its end is ultimately up to SEGA. You have to admit that it's been somewhat true, minus the second part regarding the Friends. Hardly any extra "friends" were revealed in Unleashed. Just chip and Sonic's werehog form were the new characters -- though one can obviously argue Werehog being Sonic, therefore not being a new character.

We weren't always this jaded, things were generally pretty positive on the run up to Heroes (odd bit of complaining and discussion about the SA games being to linear and/or glitchty, oh and Shadow coming back to life, IIRC discussion of Shadow's backstory and theories were banned at one point because the amount of topics became silly), it wasn't really until the games went to shit (ie. Shadow and 06) that the fanbase did.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

You know, I see no reason for SEGA to just simply port some of those storybook games to the Xbox 360 and PS3, in some form. Do you think these games not being multiplatform has something to do with money, available resources, or time constraints?

Yeah, I think it has to do with money. I don't think the Storybook titles would do very well on the more powerful systems, and Sega knows it. Again, there's only been one PS360 exclusive. Even when games are created primarily for the HD platforms (Hedgehog Engine), Sega still makes a Wii version. It's because Sonic sells well with Nintendo. The game hasn't been announced for anything yet, this just makes the most sense to me. The trailer says HD like we knew the first Unleashed leaks weren't Wii screens. I don't think they'd leave the Wii hanging on this one, is all.

I've been in other fanbases, namely Halo, so this fanbase truly is interesting to me. Where as a lot of fanbases, even with Nintendo, are 85% - 90% positive for their game company.

So my examples or similar things to them don't really happen often? Even when the media themselves are conflicting over it? Well, I guess it depends on how one interprets events.

Oh, here we go again...

You try to end it, yet someone wants to come up and restart the drama. Heh, typical.:rolleyes:

So, how many times did they call him Robotnik in Unleashed? Not once.

Uh, so? That still doesn't change the fact the Robotnik and Eggman are the same character.

Why the hell should people be that bothered over a minor name change if they can still call him Robotnik since they called him Eggman in 1999 and still refer to the same character?

If they really want to not piss of people who prefer Robotnik, they have to actually call him Robotnik more than once per decade.

Tell me you're being sarcastic here...

You know what? Here's a better idea, how about the people who prefer "Robotnik" get over it and call him Robotik when they're the same charater. Because they haven't gone around forcing people to call him Eggman if they don't want to.

So, "enough of this nonsense". :P

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

What does the fanbase generally clash about though? Is it regarding the characters in the game, or the game and Nintendo sucking itself?

There's a difference in these kind of clashes, because one clash is just from people engaged in a fun combative game made by a company, and another clash is because a company can't manage to satisfy its fanbase.

I don't know the Super Smash fanbase though, I'm just speculating, so that's why I ask.

Well a lot of Smash fans flat out REFUSE to play Brawl because of some of the changes to the characters/gameplay mechanics they made, and then theres the other people who say "Its a party game guys, stop taking it so seriously" etc ete etc. It gets pretty anal on the various boards I used to visit, and I stop giving a shit altogether since a large majority of them are assclowns.

Also, my favorite Sonic cycle

2na1tep.jpg

The internet and the anomity it provides inevitably leads to conflict.

The more variables there are, the more things there are to argue about, the games have become a lot more varied in recent years, each one deviating from the previous in some way (for better or worse), and this ultimately leads to the silly name calling and trivial debates we see nowadays.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

So my examples or similar things to them don't really happen often? Even when the media themselves are conflicting over it? Well, I guess it depends on how one interprets events.

I'm trying to narrow this down. You're talking about Nintendo themselves, and people do cry on being leftout -- though the hardcore market is about 10% or less of anything, so statistically it may not happen often. But anyways, I'm trying to narrow it down to their production and development of the specific games.

SEGA's production and development of Sonic games ... the fans reactions typically are way more negative than say:

Nintendo's production and development of Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc. games.

There was a lot of Midnight parties for the new Brawl game. No parties for Sonic. Obviously the franchise fanbase for the Nintendo games are quite healthy, and have more healthy debates than anything.

I'm trying to narrow this down. You're talking about Nintendo themselves, and people do cry on being leftout -- though the hardcore market is about 10% or less of anything, so statistically it may not happen often. But anyways, I'm trying to narrow it down to their production and development of the specific games.

Except your emphasis has been on critical acclamation being the sole determinant of conflict and I'm saying that not the case. That is why I gave you that example. It is another factor (and an important one yes) but not the sole factor.

Or this:

The internet and the anomity it provides inevitably leads to conflict.

The more variables there are, the more things there are to argue about, the games have become a lot more varied in recent years, each one deviating from the previous in some way (for better or worse), and this ultimately leads to the silly name calling and trivial debates we see nowadays.

Edited by blackherox

Except your emphasis has been on critical acclamation being the sole determinant of conflict and I'm saying that not the case. That is why I gave you that example. It is another factor (and an important one yes) but not the sole factor.

Or this:

I don't remember saying that critical acclaim is the reason for fanbase conflict, and I definitely didn't mean that if I did say it. Franchises that have a continuous string of games that weren't critically-acclaimed, when they were once critically-acclaimed, in my theory, will showcase a poor or heavily conflicting fanbase, in converse to franchises that have had a continuous string of critically-acclaimed games, like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, that have a healthy and low amount of conflicts in their fanbase.

To note, Smash Bros is a fighting game, so there'll be a higher amount of fan conflict, like any other fighting game franchise, such as Street Fighter.

This is just a very light researched theory that I've had for a while.

Anyone apart of the Megaman fanbase? How is the health of that fanbase? I know that franchise has had its ups and downs.

Edited by serpx

So I'm pretty excited about hearing more of this game, right guys?

I am too! I'm just waiting for the inevitable leaks that are going to most likely happen. I just want my biggest question of the moment to be answered - if it is 3D on a 2D plane, or if it is all wonderful looking hand-drawn 2D sprites. If it is the latter I'm going to poop my pants so hard that I'll tear a hole through them, and maybe have created a hole in the ground twenty feet deep. So I sure hope that it is all hand-drawn just because now that I made people envision that I'm sure people will now want pics of it actually happening >(!!

Still, I've been very excited for this project since it was announced. I just want to see it in action - as well as hear what direction the art will be going in in terms of style, same with the music. I'm hoping there'll be a wider range of catchy, synthy tunes.

A video has appeared on the SEGA FTP, with the file name "SonicDL Hi.mov". I'm downloading it, even tohugh I'm sure it's what we a already have. But does DL refer to the game as a whole, or just this file? "DL" commonly means "download".

EDIT: t'was uploaded yesterday, so there's your proof that it's not new.

Edited by Blue Blood

A video has appeared on the SEGA FTP, with the file name "SonicDL Hi.mov". I'm downloading it, even tohugh I'm sure it's what we a already have. But does DL refer to the game as a whole, or just this file? "DL" commonly means "download".

EDIT: t'was uploaded yesterday, so there's your proof that it's not new.

I think its the Teaser we alredy have, and i also think we will have to wait 2 full weeks befor we get some real footage of the game...give me a DeLorean please!

Yup! Exactly. But yeah, still downloading it for the sake of downloading it. And I think the "DL" refers to the file being a "Sonic related download" rather than "Sonic the Donwloadable".

Yup! Exactly. But yeah, still downloading it for the sake of downloading it. And I think the "DL" refers to the file being a "Sonic related download" rather than "Sonic the Donwloadable".

How big is the file? Compared to other trailers released on the FTP?

Comparitively I dunno, but it's 56.6mb. And it's finished and I watched all 26 seconds of it. Old trailer, but it lovely HD.

If not we'll probably just see the game at TGS, since that's right around the corner.

Or SEGA will drop a bomb and NOT show it. First trailer will be released as a special feature in Superstars Racing. Yaay! :lol:

Sonic is totally not gonna be in this game.

Nope.

Doesn't anyone pay attention to the title?

It's obviously...

3910720882_d749e8ab7a.jpg

NEEDLEMOUSE

/gasp

omgguyzit'sajokelol

• Thumbs Up 3