Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I agree, IMO a good Sonic story is the Traditional Fight between the Master Emerald (Not chaos emeralds so much, because then you can become Super Sonic)...nah, maybe the chaos emeralds aswell. Maybe SEGA can add some depth into this idea. Not adding stuff like the Chaos 0 scenario or Iblis and Mephiles.

I would LOVE to see the emeralds as the main plot focus again. Sonic 3 kicked it off by adding a 'Master Emerald', Sonic Adventure explained more of the Chaos Emeralds' history, SA2 sort of talked about their uses and properties... and then it sort of went in crazy directions from there, with no more important emerald history.

I don't know about you lot, but i'd love to see Metal Sonic as a boss in this game, it'd be great, maybe even Metal Madness. lol, just kidding. And i may sound like a fanboy on this but oh well...Make Eggman the MAIN, i repeat, MAIN VILLIAN OF THE GAME!!!! No Ancient Monsters please...but if you do include ancient monsters at least give eggman a break and let him actually use the power of them for a machine

The Doctor uses Gaia to power his city...

I would LOVE to see the emeralds as the main plot focus again. Sonic 3 kicked it off by adding a 'Master Emerald', Sonic Adventure explained more of the Chaos Emeralds' history, SA2 sort of talked about their uses and properties... and then it sort of went in crazy directions from there, with no more important emerald history.

The Doctor uses Gaia to power his city...

I dont think the guy played Unleashed. The emeralds had probably the biggest role here, I mean

without the recharged emeralds because of the temples,

I dont think sonic's earth would still be....there.

The classic Sonic lover in me really wants no dialogue. But skippable cutscenes would be alright.

You wouldn't have to watch them at all if you just wanna speed demon it through the levels. But storytelling via levels is something I'd really miss. All the Knuckles ambushes, the Lava Reef boss, Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary are the best. What about a few cutscenes for all the major events, and everything else in game?

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

I see nothing wrong with no dialogue and cutscenes for this game atleast. But in games like Adventures and Unleashed, it would work better including those for the story.

But yes, Deep plots aren't the problem. BAD plots are. It's possible for Sonic to have a good, deep plot, just as it is for a bad one.

EDIT: Also, they've always used skippable cutscenes for 3D games as far as I can remember, so there's really no point in complaining over what you can skip.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

There's no question that the Wii is the console where Sonic games sell the most. That's even more true after the insane extra exposure with Brawl and Olympics.

And I agree it's silly for them to even keep him on the other two consoles, when you can reduce development costs and are even more certain to profit from it. Unleashed I can understand as the engine started development in 2005 before Wii dev kits were even available to developers, and far before Sonic's apparent great success on the Wii (EXTREMELY good success if you include his appearances in Brawl and Olympics), so you really gotta ask; "why bother"?

And I am disgusted with Shadi's claim that Sega's hardcore fanbase is on the other consoles. First, Sonic's very successful on the Wii as I said already. Also, Overkill was successful, same with 2&3 Returns, and Ghost Squad, and even Samba is selling very well if VGChartz is close to fact (over 600,000, my god!), and that was also a remake.

Only Madworld was considered to be less than successful, but Sega sees that to be because of its art style or uniqueness as a whole if you know what I mean. They have not blamed the Wii in anyway.

Clearly the HD fanboy/Nintendo hater just wanted to do anything in his power to make the Wii look bad and wishes it would die in a fire.

Why hasn't he been banned by now, I mean really?

What Wentos said doesn't make much financial sense. Why make the HD versions anyway, when you can put ll your resources into the Wii version, which you know for a fact will sell the most copies and make you much more money? You shouldn't have to recoporate for losses. Unless of course, they just want to do it solely on the basis of fanservice.

For whatever reason, this is a HD game, get over it.

plenty of people are interested in the HD version of this game- regardless of this boards particular Wii mentality. and Sonic 06, despite being complete shit, sold very well on 360 indeed.

And I am disgusted with Shadi's claim that Sega's hardcore fanbase is on the other consoles. First, Sonic's very successful on the Wii as I said already. Also, Overkill was successful, same with 2&3 Returns, and Ghost Squad, and even Samba is selling very well if VGChartz is close to fact (over 600,000, my god!), and that was also a remake.
I'm disgusted with your claim SEGA's hardcore fanbase is on the wii!

I'm disgusted with your claim SEGA's hardcore fanbase is on the wii!

Okay I can be fair, there are hardcore Sega fans on the other platforms, I never said the Wii was the only one. :P

My main point is that the majority of Sonic fans are on the Wii.

don't make me whip out some sales charts!

This game may not be coming to the Wii by virtue of being HD, but I'm sure there's another Wii game in the works, so chill

Just of Sonic '06? Wasn't that just a slow burner and after it got price drops? Whateva', I won't argue that it did sell well, but Secret Rings sold FAR more, even over 1 million (or is it even at TWO million, I forget).

Do your sales charts come from VGChartz? Just curious.

VG Chartz is the worst chart site ever, you might as well invent your own sales numbers.

I don't have any numbers right now, but from both Unleashed and 06 did very well, and the old Sonic games sell consitantly well on XBLA

Wow, I missed a lot. Haven't been here in a couple of days

Anyway I'm gonna have to wait and see for this one.

If they don't put out a wii version, I don't know if I'll rabidly buy a whole system again as I did for Sonic 06 (I ended up selling it, and the system afterwards).

Why does everyone think HD instantly means PS3360 only? I took it that he meant that rather than using retro Sonic sprites from the genesis games, like MM9, they would be more like the ones from the fan project Sonic 2 HD.

If there's going to be any cutscenes in this game, it should be something akin to this...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j1HkBFYfDFk

Amiritewhozwitmeh?

Yes, if the game uses HD sprites, then animated cutscenes would be probable. That or Sonic 3&K style.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Why does everyone think HD instantly means PS3360 only? I took it that he meant that rather than using retro Sonic sprites from the genesis games, like MM9, they would be more like the ones from the fan project Sonic 2 HD.

Yes, if the game uses HD sprites, then animated cutscenes would be probable. That or Sonic 3&K style.

HD refers to resolution, not sprite quality. The wii is psysically incapable of displaying at HD resolutions (or HD graphics, if you will) therfore a HD game releasing on the wii is impossible

I'm pretty sure 780p is more than enough to display HD-size sprites. And even if not, scaling them down can't possibly be that hard. There's no excuses, really.

But let's not jump to conclusions, we don't even know whether the game is going to use sprites at all at this point. For all we know it could look exactly like Unleashed on a 2D perspective.

I'm pretty sure 780p is more than enough to display HD-size sprites. And even if not, scaling them down can't possibly be that hard. There's no excuses, really.
yeah, the Wii has no downscaling and cannot do anything over 480p so i don't see what you're getting at here. Porting the game for wii would be a giant pain in the ass.

There is an excuse, it's called "the wii can't do HD"

I agree with your latter point though. I think 3Dish graphics is most likely, if they do fullblown HD sprites i'll be surprised (and aroused)

...my bad, I meant 480p. Got my numbers mixed up. Even considering the Wii doesn't have ingame scaling though, there's not much hassle in downsizing an entire spritesheet if the need arises. Either way, the Wii can undeniably handle sprites better than Genesis or Advance standards, so it'd be wrong not to expect some form of improvement even if the HD consoles can do even better.

EDIT: Though I DO find it fairly difficult to believe the Wii has no means of sprite scaling, considering the SNES managed it about three generations ago.

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The SNES could scale HD sprites, could it? The issues is not "whether the wii can scale sprites" it's that the wii cannot scale/play a game with HD sprites without blowing up.

...my bad, I meant 480p. Got my numbers mixed up. Even considering the Wii doesn't have ingame scaling though, there's not much hassle in downsizing an entire spritesheet if the need arises. Either way, the Wii can undeniably handle sprites better than Genesis or Advance standards, so it'd be wrong not to expect some form of improvement even if the HD consoles can do even better.

EDIT: Though I DO find it fairly difficult to believe the Wii has no means of sprite scaling, considering the SNES managed it about three generations ago.

The Wii probably can scale sprites, but this game is probably doing things that is way beyond scaling down. I'm imagining this game to look somewhat like Sonic Unleashed, except stuck in the 2D dimension, and even more visually pleasing, honestly. Why didn't they just scale the 360/PS3 versions down, rather than make 2 complete different games for the PS2/Wii?

And disappearing posts ftw. :P

As the game is meant to be in HD for 360 and PS3, if it was ever ported to Wii it would look a ton worse. If thats possible, we don't even know if it's 3D on a 2D plane or full 2D yet. Though a Sonic with full 2D looking like BlazBlue or Muramasa would literally blow my socks off.

Edited by whatabout_paul

The SNES could scale HD sprites, could it? The issues is not "whether the wii can scale sprites" it's that the wii cannot scale/play a game with HD sprites without blowing up.
Then scale down the sprites in advance. No big deal. I could do that in freakin' Paint.net if I felt like it. You'd still end up with a game that's technically inferior to the PS360 version, sure, but as long as it still 1ups the rest of the traditional sprite games in the series I see nothing to complain about.

Then scale down the sprites in advance. No big deal. I could do that in freakin' Paint.net if I felt like it. You'd still end up with a game that's technically inferior to the PS360 version, sure, but as long as it still 1ups the rest of the traditional sprite games in the series I see nothing to complain about.
That'd look like utter shit, you'd be better off redrawing the sprites completely. Who knows, SEGA might even do that.

Yes, it sucks that you're not getting game, but you can't expect o have every single game on your console, especially with a power gap as large as the Wii/Other consoles

Also, what Phos said.

Pfft we already know the cutscenes should be crafted by those masterful artists at Bioware

Edited by Dejablue
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1