Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I'd die of epic if they released it on 360, PS3, Wii and Dreamcast. I, for some reason, -can- see this getting a disc based release. I'm not entirely sure why, but I can see it. But if they made a Dreamcast version that you could special order, that'd make SO many fans jizz in their pants <3 That'd be awesome. xD Crazier things have happened.

Also, I hope it takes after either the Sonic Unleashed style modern look, or the Sonic CD/Screensaver classic look; that style Sonic always was such a badass. -- Of course, with better coloring and animation and stuff. =)

20hmudk.png

*bricked*

Anyway I'm a bit cautious about this but I am hoping that it will come out good. I just hope that they don't tweak it too much from the classics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's an idea!

2D Sonic games in 2010 and 2012!

3D Sonic games in 2011 and 2013!

Win-win. A game every year and both camps are happy.

Win-win. A game every year and both camps are happy.

>Sonic fans

>happy

I honestly don't know where the idea that we'd never get a 3D game again came from. Personally I think this 2D one is a one off to get people to shut up about the idea a bit.

After that they'll go back to 3D + dartboard ideas :P

Edited by SuperLink

I know this is taboo because someone always posts this at the onset of every Sonic game but fuck it!

Maybe we can get rid of that dreaded Sonic chart once and for all!

lol at the Pikachu icon xD

Anyhow, guys, this is nothing to flip your shit over. As I see it, this is Sega's answer to New Super Mario Bros. Wii: it's a new, HD, 2D Sonic game for the main consoles for the next year to sate us fans until the big 2011 game....which I bet is Unleashed 2, but don't hold me to that 0_o

But I can almost promise that the 3D games aren't dead. It's not like just because they're making a 2D game, the 3D ones have to cease production.....lol

Edited by EXshad

Gotta agree with you there. I haven't seen as much explicit criticism towards Sonic as I've encountered today in ages, and only towards a game we know nothing about yet. I'm all for skepticism; that's all for the best really, especially considering Sonic's track record. But I can't see why they can't hold off the actual criticisms until we actually see... you know, SOMETHING. People just seem to treat the Sonic Cycle more as a natural law than an observed pattern.

Also, your post would be a thousand times more respectable if you took out the "so-called." Think what you will of the other fans, but that doesn't change the fact that they ARE fans. As much as the "bitching and moaning" annoys me, at least it shows they still care enough about the series to say something at all. And, hey, if it looks good and gets good reviews, I'm sure many of them will change their tune.

Touche. I know we're all fans here, but so much of the negativity just seems so uncalled for. Sonic's track record isn't the most fantastic and everybody knows that, but still, with 2D being something many Sonic fans have wanted since the, uh, 'glory days' ended... it's hard to believe the amount of shit this game is getting already from people who supposedly wanted it in the first place. :(

Everything is lining up, all the way from wentos ranging to mike hayes!

What Wentos Said: The Next Sonic would emulate the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed, with a focus on platforming that made the original Sonic so popular.

I could see a new main console 2D series coinciding with a 3D series.

Problem with the 3D series, beyond what is discussed ad nauseum, is that it never had a cohesive progression. Look at main series in the 16-bit days: Sonic 1-3, Sonic CD, Sonic & Knuckles. Besides Sonic CD, all the games were connected by a concrete numbered system and a clear continuation of Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles. Very cohesive.

Now look at the 3D games: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (so far so good), Sonic Heroes (so... is it Sonic Adventure 3... or...?), Shadow the Hedgehog (so it's a spin-off, yet is more of a squeal to SA2 than Heroes was), Sonic the Hedgehog (a remake? no. a sequal? Besides Shadow and Rouge's backstories continuing, not really. a reboot? no, as it's a sort of a reboot sequel...), Sonic Unleashed (here we go! it's sort of like Sonic Adventure 3! Yet could easily take place after Sonic and Knuckles... so it's a reboot?)

Yeah, I know theres more to games than titles but titles really tie a series together. Look at Mega Man, they have the classic series and the X series. Much more cohesive and clearly two separate ongoing series.

• Bad Quality Post 1

20hmudk.png

*bricked*

Anyway I'm a bit cautious about this but I am hoping that it will come out good. I just hope that they don't tweak it too much from the classics.

Am I the only one who saw this when I first saw that silhouette?

ThumbnailCAFVY02L.jpg

Edited by VirgoTheCougar
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm a little late to the party, but I for one am excited at the prospect for a new 2D Sonic game. We'll see if Sonic Team/SEGA can pull this off in fine fashion, if the day stages of Sonic Unleashed were any indication. I'm also intrigued by how the game will look. Sure, it's obvious it'll play on a 2D plane, but the overall look of the game intrigues me. They've said HD graphics; so I'll be happy with either the Genesis sprites in HD quality, or the Sonic Rivals route of 3D environment/characters on a 2D gameplay plane.

In terms of what consoles this'll be on; with the HD aspect, I think 360/PS3 are probably a given. It'll be a toss-up if the Wii will be included, but I think it'll be stupid if it's left out.

Edited by Spyne

What Wentos said doesn't make much financial sense. Why make the HD versions anyway, when you can put ll your resources into the Wii version, which you know for a fact will sell the most copies and make you much more money? You shouldn't have to recoporate for losses. Unless of course, they just want to do it solely on the basis of fanservice.

What Wentos said doesn't make much financial sense. Why make the HD versions anyway, when you can put ll your resources into the Wii version, which you know for a fact will sell the most copies and make you much more money? You shouldn't have to recoporate for losses. Unless of course, they just want to do it solely on the basis of fanservice.

Lol, it's SEGA. They make the oddest decisions and it drives a lot of their fans nuts a lot. Although this decision will make a lot of their fans happy, since most of SEGA's hardcore fans own HD systems. This only upsets the majority of Sonic fans angry, but the game isn't even meant for them, it's meant for the SEGA fans that have been begging for a proper Sonic game for years now =P

• Bad Quality Post 1

SEGA got those all from neogaf, cool none the less! Lulz

D'aww... and here I thought they were stalking us...

<__<

>__>

*looks at AAUK*

While I accept that S3&K did fine without text of any sort, telling their stories through mute cutscenes, I don't think dialogue and complex plot development through... y'know, voice, is much of a problem. While it's not been so prevelant here, the cries of "OMG HEROIC MUTE SONIC PLZ PLZ PLZ" on Sonic Retro indicate to me that a section of the nostalgic fanbase are so determined to see Everything Like It Was On The Genesis that they haven't stopped to consider that a game with dialogue (and thus the prospect for reasonable character interaction and most of the story) gutted out of it has great potential to be boring and flat. Again, I know S3&K managed it, but... we're not four years old any more. I'm not sure that just bright colours and silence can really tell a tale I'd be satisfied with.

Yeah, I have to agree. A lot of people (myself, to a degree, include) are craving a 100% classic 90s experience. In a way, I think that's setting a lot of people up for dissapointments. A lot of us are going on about how only Tails and Knuckles should appear playable, and Dreadknux's new sig says that adding the boost would be a deal braker for him I caught myself earlier thinking about re-mixed tunes that should appear in the game, like the act finished jingle (I missed not having it in Unleashed), the Sonic 1 theme, and so on. In a way, I think it's setting us up for dissapointment. Face it folks; it's been way over a decade since chubby-bellied Sonic. Times have changed. While with this game, they are trying to appeal to older fans, but that doesn't mean some modern elements won't appear. All I'm saying is that we should prepare ourselves and not be dissappointed when you see green eyes, and the word Eggman. ^.^;

On the topic of silent protagonist, I never got that conclusion from classic Sonic (I just thought he didn't have a voice because it wasn't nessesary/they couldn't add one). In CD he talked a bit, and in the manuels he talked, and in AoSTH/SATAM/Underground he wouldn't shut up about passing cool and juice. In dunno, Sonic's never struck me as the silent type, I guess.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of silent protagonist, I never got that conclusion from classic Sonic (I just thought he didn't have a voice because it wasn't nessesary/they couldn't add one). In CD he talked a bit, and in the manuels he talked, and in AoSTH/SATAM/Underground he wouldn't shut up about passing cool and juice. In dunno, Sonic's never struck me as the silent type, I guess.

Some of the retro fans seem to think that a wide cast and a deep story are The Enemy, with conversations and plot exposition in cutscenes breaking up the flow of what is supposed to be a fast-paced, action-packed game. While I can just about understand where they're coming from (and, admittedly, it did work for Ye Olde Sonic Games), I still think the problem has been misdiagnosed. Deep storytelling isn't a minus point. BAD storytelling is a minus point.

The fact that we havn't seen (in my opinion) particularly good plots since Sonic Adventure 1 (and/or Chronicles, but your mileage may vary) doesn't mean a plotty, dialogue-y Sonic game can't work. Returning to a mute, 2-character game of Sonic vs. Robotnik is like curing the disease by killing the patient; instead of correcting the problems with characterisation and scripting to actually develop this fantastic, storied world that exists within the games, going back to Old Skool story-less-ness is simply throwing up your hands in defeat and yelling "Fine! We'll do without a meta-plot!"

Admittedly, that "solves" the problem - but in the laziest, least satisfying way possible. Sonic game plots could be awesome when done well; brutally marginalising the story is not the way to get said plots to become awesome.

TL;DR: Dialogue plz.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mmm... I disagree on "haven't had any good plots since SA1." Most people think that SA2 had an excellent plot, but I also thought the plots for Sonic Battle (minus some dialog), Sonic '06 (for the most part), Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Rush Adventure were pretty decent. Of course, I also thought Chronicles had an excellent plot, too. The Rivals and Advance games are iffy, Secret Rings and Unleashed weren't too great (plot-wise), though I thought that Black Knight's wasn't too bad.

Some of the retro fans seem to think that a wide cast and a deep story are The Enemy, with conversations and plot exposition in cutscenes breaking up the flow of what is supposed to be a fast-paced, action-packed game. While I can just about understand where they're coming from (and, admittedly, it did work for Ye Olde Sonic Games), I still think the problem has been misdiagnosed. Deep storytelling isn't a minus point. BAD storytelling is a minus point.

The fact that we havn't seen (in my opinion) particularly good plots since Sonic Adventure 1 (and/or Chronicles, but your mileage may vary) doesn't mean a plotty, dialogue-y Sonic game can't work. Returning to a mute, 2-character game of Sonic vs. Robotnik is like curing the disease by killing the patient; instead of correcting the problems with characterisation and scripting to actually develop this fantastic, storied world that exists within the games, going back to Old Skool story-less-ness is simply throwing up your hands in defeat and yelling "Fine! We'll do without a meta-plot!"

Admittedly, that "solves" the problem - but in the laziest, least satisfying way possible. Sonic game plots could be awesome when done well; brutally marginalising the story is not the way to get said plots to become awesome.

TL;DR: Dialogue plz.

I agree, IMO a good Sonic story is the Traditional Fight between the Master Emerald (Not chaos emeralds so much, because then you can become Super Sonic)...nah, maybe the chaos emeralds aswell. Maybe SEGA can add some depth into this idea. Not adding stuff like the Chaos 0 scenario or Iblis and Mephiles.

I don't know about you lot, but i'd love to see Metal Sonic as a boss in this game, it'd be great, maybe even Metal Madness. lol, just kidding. And i may sound like a fanboy on this but oh well...Make Eggman the MAIN, i repeat, MAIN VILLIAN OF THE GAME!!!! No Ancient Monsters please...but if you do include ancient monsters at least give eggman a break and let him actually use the power of them for a machine