Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I didn't mean it was a step down quality-wise, but as it's own game compared to what we had feature-wise in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (like I said, save feature/Tails co-op), it was a step down.

I agree with this. The save feature changed EVERYTHING for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. I've had this deep desire for Sonic Team to rerelease Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Knuckles' Chaotix with the Sonic 3 save feature. My pants would explode!

I agree with this. The save feature changed EVERYTHING for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. I've had this deep desire for Sonic Team to rerelease Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Knuckles' Chaotix with the Sonic 3 save feature. My pants would explode!

Sega did make Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis on GBA and that had a in-menu level select and a checkpoint based saved feature.

Oh wait.

Level save and select is a good feature. Not a vital neccessity, not for a short Sonic game, but a good feature.

Sega did make Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis on GBA and that had a in-menu level select and a checkpoint based saved feature.

Oh wait.

Level save and select is a good feature. Not a vital neccessity, not for a short Sonic game, but a good feature.

It goes beyond a level save and select feature. It's the ability to keep the Emeralds you've acquired that makes it so attractive. Even in games like Sonic 1 and Sonic CD where you don't unlock Super Sonic, you still get to see the good ending.

Another thing I've wanted to see added in the old Sonic games and would love to see in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is scoreboards and missions. Let's go ahead and throw out the most universal of all levels, Green Hill Zone, as an example. Each Act of GHZ should have your best Score, best Clear Time, and most Rings (like what we got in Sonic Adventure), and you should be able to access any completed level you want at any time. Each level should also have a set of Missions, like what we got in Sonic Adventure 2. Green Hill Zone, Act 2 could have...

Clear Act 2

Collect 100 Rings

Defeat 20 Badniks

Clear Act 2 and Jump into the Giant Ring

Clear Act 2 in X Time

To add even further replay value, each Mission could have its own scoreboards. You could keep track of your best Clear Times for collecting 100 Rings and defeating Badniks, or see what your best Score for clearing Act 2 in, say, 60 seconds was.

This is the kind of thing I would like to see in Project Needlemouse. Regardless of how you feel about the 3D Sonic games compared to the Genesis series, they DID add a LOT of replay value to the series. Perhaps if they added the Emblem and Rank system to Project Needlemouse, we'd be drawn to the game even more than we would otherwise.

Me and my cousin could put hours into Adventure 2 Battle back in the day. I have fond memories of the battle mode in Sonic Advance 1 as well.

Edit: Oh wait. Now everyone is talking about something else. This thread is confusing.

Edited by Tornado

It goes beyond a level save and select feature. It's the ability to keep the Emeralds you've acquired that makes it so attractive. Even in games like Sonic 1 and Sonic CD where you don't unlock Super Sonic, you still get to see the good ending.

Not that it was that important in any of the mentioned games other than Sonic 2, which has both a level select and get all emeralds code. Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix do save your collectibles.

But I will say I prefer multiple save slots. It's a pain in the ass to have only one save slot and have to delete EVERYTHING in order to restart anything. I especially hate this in Sonic Rush.

Edited by Yong

Sonic multiplayer has definitely had some shining moments but it is usually an after thought by sega. SA2B of course being the best for versing other players and for co-op the classics take the cake. As much hate as tails gets sometimes anyone who had brother or sisters definitely played them to death. Most tails fans are usually the younger siblings who didn't get to play sonic. I am said to see tails not in needlemouse because I am a tails fan but it is fine because I am sure sega hasn't forgotten about him. IMO if this game will be in "episodes" the first will be sonic only the second will add on new levels + tails, then the third will throw in knuckles + levels. Just wait and see ;D

Me and my cousin could put hours into Adventure 2 Battle back in the day. I have fond memories of the battle mode in Sonic Advance 1 as well.

I had a similar experience with my sister. Sonic 2 allowed us to play at the same time which was pretty huge imo back then. And Sonic Adventure2: Battle (I'm not sure if the 2-player in the DC version was great or not) is the shit! I loved the fact that another character was equal to Sonic which made racing a blast.

I LOVE the Battle mode! Even though I'm unhappy with the revamped Chao fundamentals, the Battle mode more than makes up for the shortcomings of the Chao. I'd love to see Sonic Adventure 2 get an XBLA port with all of the stuff from SA2B as well as the Dreamcast-exclusive stuff (Big, Halloween outfits, etc.). Throw in online and I assure you I'd be on that sucker every week for the next two years, at least. Leaderboards for the single-player levels, as well as the option to skin your characters with their MP outfits in the single-player levels would make everything just that much more awesome!

Er, I could talk for hours about all of my ideas for making the ultimate Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, hehe. I'd better stop before I drag us further off topic. :rolleyes:

Not that it was that important in any of the mentioned games other than Sonic 2, which has both a level select and get all emeralds code. Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix do save your collectibles.

Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Knuckles' Chaotix didn't allow you to travel back and play through completed levels. Sonic CD DID of course have an excellent Time Attack mde, but you couldn't travel through time in the levels, which I thought was quite disappointing.

I had a similar experience with my sister. Sonic 2 allowed us to play at the same time which was pretty huge imo back then. And Sonic Adventure2: Battle (I'm not sure if the 2-player in the DC version was great or not) is the shit! I loved the fact that another character was equal to Sonic which made racing a blast.

Sonic Adventure 2 on the DC had more alternate costumes if you include the DLC, but unlike SA2B, the alternate costumes didn't add any unique attributes to the characters (i.e. Sonic gains Sonic Wind every 20 Rings with his alternate outfit in SA2B), and from what I understand, unlockable characters like Amy and Big didn't have full voice overs, nor did they have any unique abilities or attributes. In other words, every character played identically. The variety of levels was also greatly improved in SA2B. Each class of multiplayer mode has a total of ten levels to play in SA2B, as opposed to the meager offering of 3 levels per game mode in SA2.

Overall, I like the different single-player elements of Sonic Adventure 2 better than its GC counterpart, but they're very minor details (except for the Chao, which I mentioned hating in SA2B earlier) in comparison to the Battle mode's extensive upgrades. I'd say that SA2B is definitely the way to go out of the two versions specifically because of this.

Edited by Brianzilla2004

I, too, got major multiplayer time from SA2B- mainly the racing portions. My brother could kick my sorry butt as Amy- which made me determined to get the alternate costumes for Sonic/Shadow (it was awesome the first time I unlocked Shadow's and spamed Amy with Chaos Control... happy times :D).

I also enjoyed co-oping with my brother in Sonic 3. I'd usually be Sonic, and he'd randomly pop-in as Tails from time to time (he'd air-lift me into spikes so I'd kick him out! :P).

I'd love some sort of online play for a Sonic game. Racing would be epic, and just THINK about co-oping! :D

Maybe this topic should be renamed to 'The Nostalgia Thread' because that's honestly the main thing keeping it alive at this point.

Not like there's screenshots and gameplay videos yet

Edited by Top Cat
  • Thumbs Up 1

I want multiple roads like in Sonic 2, Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

That too gave us plenty of replay value without the missions. Of course with missions it would give a boost for replay value but if its to be a retro game, I doubt its gonna have missions.

The game is gonna be as simple as it can get like in the genesis era:

Simple game

Simple gameplay

Simple controls

Simple moves

Barely to no story

No voice (I don't give a shit of what you'll say to me about voices)

Eggman as the main and final boss

No new characters (I won't answer any replies about that part too)

Maybe but just maybe we'll have Super Sonic in-game if this game is gonna be a bit like S2 or S3&K but its not too bad even if he's not in the game like in S1

*Important Part*

Pinball mechanic

Auto-save

Sonic is the only one playable in the game to fight against Eggman.

I'm done here.

Edited by Unholy Sønic

Maybe this topic should be renamed to 'The Nostalgia Thread' because that's honestly the main thing keeping it alive at this point.

Only until tommorrow, anyway. Then we'll truly be able to unleash our inner nerds! RAWR! :D

So, what do you guys think about some of the newer moves being in this game. Like the homing attack, light speed dash, and even grinding? Do you think they would work in a "classic" setting?

Only until tommorrow, anyway. Then we'll truly be able to unleash our inner nerds! RAWR! :D

So, what do you guys think about some of the newer moves being in this game. Like the homing attack, light speed dash, and even grinding? Do you think they would work in a "classic" setting?

No. Sega has not gotten any of those right, in 2D or otherwise.

It's better than bitching about characters or lack there of imo. Which one could say, previously "kept this thread alive."

Edited by Light

It's funny that everyone here's talking about their fond memories of co-op in oldschool Sonic, because my favorite multiplayer in Sonic 3 was versus! No, not those crummy little 5-lap races, I mean being a dick as Tails. My friend would play as Sonic, and I'd fly in, grab him as Tails and launch him a Badnik. He never could get past Hydrocity Zone with me as Tails. Good times!

"Master Robotnik will be pleased..." - Tails

• Thumbs Up 1

No. Sega has not gotten any of those right, in 2D or otherwise.

I somewhat disagree. Grinding... well, is a win or lose depending on the game, the light-speed dash worked well in SA2 (and even Shadow improved upon it by letting you trail back [*ahem* Sonic Heroes]- I'm talking about the less-glitchy GC version), and the only time I've been hindered by a homing attack was in Heroes and Shadow.

Still, I don't think I'd like to see some of those moves in a gaming with more pinball-like physics unless they were implemented well.

I somewhat disagree. Grinding... well, is a win or lose depending on the game, the light-speed dash worked well in SA2 (and even Shadow improved upon it by letting you trail back [*ahem* Sonic Heroes]- I'm talking about the less-glitchy GC version), and the only time I've been hindered by a homing attack was in Heroes and Shadow.

Still, I don't think I'd like to see some of those moves in a gaming with more pinball-like physics unless they were implemented well.

Rails have been hit or miss for me in 2D games. I have yet to have a a problem free experience with the light dash in any Sonic game thus far. Either I get shot in the completely wrong direction or it fails to activate entirely. Homing attack, hasn't worked correctly in any 2D game, nor is it needed to begin with.

Honestly, the only move I would accept into the 2D realm is the homing attack(if its like the way it was in the advanced or rush titles). it gives a lot of flow and momentum during game play, especially when used in rush and rush adventure. Homing attack has pretty much become a staple to Sonic's recent game play as did the spin dash back in Sonic 2. Even Sonic 3 had some variation of it, the Insta-shield. After Adventure, I don't think there has been any canon sonic game without homing attack anyway...

Edited by streetballa

Rails have been hit or miss for me in 2D games. I have yet to have a a problem free experience with the light dash in any Sonic game thus far. Either I get shot in the completely wrong direction or it fails to activate entirely. Homing attack, hasn't worked correctly in any 2D game, nor is it needed to begin with.

Really? I've only had maybe a few biff-ups due to the light speed dash. In SA2 I've been shot slightly to the side when going over short spans of rings (like in the 2nd Sonic/Shadow battle), but never anything fatal to the expierence. The homing attack is a very controversal thing. I do think it's needed (because it's hard to jump on things in a 3D perspective), but I do suppose there could be a better way of attacking.

I'd be interested to see the light speed dash in 2D. Not as a "skip over a large gap" thing, but as a way to skim upwards in a pattern to reach new paths.

Really? I've only had maybe a few biff-ups due to the light speed dash. In SA2 I've been shot slightly to the side when going over short spans of rings (like in the 2nd Sonic/Shadow battle), but never anything fatal to the expierence. The homing attack is a very controversal thing. I do think it's needed (because it's hard to jump on things in a 3D perspective), but I do suppose there could be a better way of attacking.

I'd be interested to see the light speed dash in 2D. Not as a "skip over a large gap" thing, but as a way to skim upwards in a pattern to reach new paths.

Given that most said ring lines were over the 3D games' numerous bottomless pits, yes, most of my light dash "misfires" resulted in death.

And in 3D games maybe. We played all the classic games without a "homing attack" and they played far better, not as a direct result but still the observation can't be ignored.

I'd prefer to keep Sonic's abilities restrained to his 16-bit abilities. Spin Dash, Super Peel-out and Insta-shield are all fine with me. If they included the Fire, Lightning and/or Water shields, I'd welcome his double jumps with those as well. That's about all I want to see.

Try playing Sonic '06, the button for light dash is the same button for the bounce attack and you get no pop up notice like in SA2 to indicate your ok to light dash. When you need to jump to the start of a chain of rings you can be right in front of the first ring hit light dash and you'll still occasionally bounce instead. If the chain of rings is over a bottomless pit you'll sometimes fall to your death because you bounced instead of light dashing. At least Sonic Unleashed fixed the problem by putting light dash on a different button for the Xbox 360/PS3 version at least.

Given that most said ring lines were over the 3D games' numerous bottomless pits, yes, most of my light dash "misfires" resulted in death.

And in 3D games maybe. We played all the classic games without a "homing attack" and they played far better, not as a direct result but still the observation can't be ignored.

Oh, yes, the infamous "let's run over a gap rather than platform over them" pits. I think I recall a couple of lives lost in Sonic Heroes over those. <.<

EDIT: Gah! I forgot all about the awfullness that is the bounce attack in '06 (I've been trying to forget that game :P)! Thanks for reminding me, Shadzter! Come to think of it, I've also had a problem with the light speed dash in Unleashed (getting thrown to the side and what now in the entrance stages)! So, I guess there are only a handful of games where the light dash has worked!

I think the HA might be unnessesary for this game unless they can come up with a valid reason to use it. As Streetballa said it has become a bit of a staple to Sonic, so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw it in there, though. Not like it will have much purpose... you can just jump/roll on the enemies instead! :D

Edited by BlazingTales

I frankly see zero need for the HA in a 2D environment since it's main use is for hitting enemies easily in a 3D realm.

Though, I would like, and even hope that the game goes the New Super Mario Bros. approach by including some of his new 3D moves. They could add the bounce attack and his walljump from Unleashed for starters. The bounce attack could add a bit more variety, both as a method of reaching higher platforms, and even as a speed running tactic for getting over jumps that'd normally require a bit of slow down to jump up at the height of a normal jump with ease. The light speed dash though, I feel is a bit cumbersome and unneeded. It's main appeal for me is the spectacle value if nothing else. Fun to watch Sonic go through crazy patterns of rings, but overall doesn't add much to the gameplay.

I thought that bounce attack came from the water shield in Sonic 3. I remember it made platforming easier for the most part (and made water sections easier).

Edited by Light