Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

It's better than bitching about characters or lack there of imo. Which one could say, previously "kept this thread alive."

Well yeah but this whole game is riding off of nostalgia anyway. Plus it's the primary way Sega has kept us interested with such a distinct lack of real information on it.

I can only hope that they stay true to their promise about this being a 'good' month although I have a feeling some people will be raging within the coming weeks. Nothing new though, eh?

Yeah, the bounce attack was an ability best left for the Bubble Shield (as was the Air Boost for the Fire Shield and the double jump for the Magnet Shield).

You know, if they really wanted to add the Homing Attack into the game, they could add it in like it was from Sonic 3D Blast and give it it's own shield; which was the Gold Shield on that game (where it was called the Blast Attack rather than the Homing Attack). Really, keeping it to a shield would be something that would suit people who want the Homing Attack but also suit people who don't want it. Keep it to a power shield, and it's entirely optional.

Well yeah but this whole game is riding off of nostalgia anyway. Plus it's the primary way Sega has kept us interested with such a distinct lack of real information on it.

Which is why I'm dreading this game, cause I've heard this all before. And every time they've let us down. I'm tired of getting beaten with the nostalgia stick.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Gah! I forgot all about the awfullness that is the bounce attack in '06 (I've been trying to forget that game :P)!

N*gga stole mah avatar! Seriously, can you change yours? I had mine first, and seeing yours just confuses me.

Also, the bounce attack was great in 2006. Homing attack an enemy, and then bash the hell out of it. Good times... unless it was one of those big robos that fall down after you attack them for a while. Have to wait until they are good and grounded before you try to bounce on them.

Tomorrow is the big day!!!

Big day tomorrow is! :P

I'm really excited for the release of the new art- although I keep reminding myself that it's only going to be concept art. I want to see some gameplay! :(

What I look forward to the most is seeing Sonic's design... if they're going to show us it.

N*gga stole mah avatar! Seriously, can you change yours? I had mine first, and seeing yours just confuses me.

Also, the bounce attack was great in 2006. Homing attack an enemy, and then bash the hell out of it. Good times... unless it was one of those big robos that fall down after you attack them for a while. Have to wait until they are good and grounded before you try to bounce on them.

Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't know! Fix'd.

Which is why I'm dreading this game, cause I've heard this all before. And every time they've let us down. I'm tired of getting beaten with the nostalgia stick.

I understand what you mean. I thought Sonic would be at his prime when they released Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic '06). Then I started seeing all the negative reviews and that it was dubbed "Worst Sonic Game." I just gave up on Sonic after that (sort of, I liked the spin-off Sonic Riders very much). But we'll see. So far, as a publisher, SEGA has started the decade off pretty nice by releasing excellent games Bayonetta and soon a localized Yakuza 3. Hopefully the Sonic games will follow suit.

Edited by Light

I understand what you mean. I thought Sonic would be at his prime when they released Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic '06). Then I started seeing all the negative reviews and that it was dubbed "Worst Sonic Game." I just gave up on Sonic after that (sort of, I liked the spin-off Sonic Riders very much). But we'll see. So far, as a publisher, SEGA has started the decade off pretty nice by releasing excellent games Bayonetta and soon a localized Yakuza 3. Hopefully the Sonic games will follow suit.

I'd agree with the examples if not for the fact that Platinum Games aren't the ones developing Project Neddlemouse.

Yeah, the bounce attack was an ability best left for the Bubble Shield (as was the Air Boost for the Fire Shield and the double jump for the Magnet Shield).

You know, if they really wanted to add the Homing Attack into the game, they could add it in like it was from Sonic 3D Blast and give it it's own shield; which was the Gold Shield on that game (where it was called the Blast Attack rather than the Homing Attack). Really, keeping it to a shield would be something that would suit people who want the Homing Attack but also suit people who don't want it. Keep it to a power shield, and it's entirely optional.

Good point.

I do like that idea for both the bounce attack and HA. In fact, I'd have never thought of that! That's the best idea I've heard all day. It adds to the elemental shields and makes Sonic's abilities more like power-ups, which I feel is more rewarding.

One thing I don't understand is why you guys think this will be a back to basics Sonic game. Just because it's 2d and Sonic is the only character playable does'n mean that it will play just like the originals. Plus we don't know if the title Sonic The Hedgehog 4 is the true title. It could be like the whole character challenge where the outcome is different then expected and end up as Sonic whatever.

I'm iffy on the homing attack, but I'd definitely appreciate the wall jump. I was apprehensive about that cutting into Tails' and Knuckles' territory, but since they won't be in the game anyway it's all fair.

...also, did anyone else who played Unleashed have severe problems with the wall jump because they'd been conditioned by Metroid to do it an entirely different way? I can't count the number of times I got hung up in Eggmanland trying to force my hands to not hold the analog stick away from the wall for a split second.

One thing I don't understand is why you guys think this will be a back to basics Sonic game. Just because it's 2d and Sonic is the only character playable does'n mean that it will play just like the originals. Plus we don't know if the title Sonic The Hedgehog 4 is the true title. It could be like the whole character challenge where the outcome is different then expected and end up as Sonic whatever.

That's true. I thought that at the beginning of this topic and still a part of me holds onto that feeling.

However, the way they are hyping it makes it sound like it might be going in more of a classic direction. That might mean nothing, but it might mean more, I'm just trying to keep an open mind at this point. :)

I gotta say that the wall jump would do the game some good. That was one of the only things new Sonic stuff brought to the table that was good for Sonic to have without being a powerup.

Oh wait, I forgot. Mighty from Knuckles Chaotix. =P

I'm iffy on the homing attack, but I'd definitely appreciate the wall jump. I was apprehensive about that cutting into Tails' and Knuckles' territory, but since they won't be in the game anyway it's all fair.

...also, did anyone else who played Unleashed have severe problems with the wall jump because they'd been conditioned by Metroid to do it an entirely different way? I can't count the number of times I got hung up in Eggmanland trying to force my hands to not hold the analog stick away from the wall for a split second.

No. Not like Metroid's the only game series with a wall jump. It's certainly not the game with the simplest wall jump either.

This thread is so confusing. So now everyone is complaining that the game is riding on nostalgia? The isn't even out yet and you're saying its not good enough to be liked on its own merits?

Again, I must quote The Simpsons:

"So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?"

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2

This thread is so confusing. So now everyone is complaining that the game is riding on nostalgia? The isn't even out yet and you're saying its not good enough to be liked on its own merits?

We'll never be happy. EVER. RAWR! :P

Anyway, I didn't feel that we were complaining per se, just discussing if there should be any of Sonic's newer moves in this game.

No. Not like Metroid's the only game series with a wall jump. It's certainly not the game with the simplest wall jump either.

That's exactly the problem. It took my uncoordinated hands so long to figure out the damn timing that much simpler controls felt alien for a while afterwards. I guess I should've been playing Mega Man X or something instead.

On topic, sort of, I don't think there's much to worry about when it comes to the overreliance on nostalgia. Playing up the nostalgic angle with the early previews was a surefire way to attract attention; I don't think a few doodles of old badniks are enough to assume that the whole thing will be a rehash. Not yet, anyway.

Gonna quote Yong again (hope you don't mind :))

I'm sure most Sonic fans, no, most gamers in general are simply skeptical of Project Needlemouse because we've heard similar hooks used to hype the last Sonic games. And those weren't exactly well received if I recall.

Edited by Light

We'll never be happy. EVER. RAWR! :P

Anyway, I didn't feel that we were complaining per se, just discussing if there should be any of Sonic's newer moves in this game.

I see. Hmmm.

I personally feel the following shouldn't be included:

Homing attack

Light Speed Dash

Boost

I just don't see the need for them really. In the homing attacks place I would like to see power ups from shields return. Grinding and wall jumping are fine too.

Edited by Mort

I see. Hmmm.

I personally feel the following shouldn't be included:

Homing attack

Light Speed Dash

Boost

I just don't see the need for them really. In the homing attacks place I would like to see power ups from shields return. Grinding and wall jumping are fine too.

The boost should certainly not be in there and I'd be surprised if it is. Don't get me wrong, I do love the boost in certain Sonic games, but if this game is truly trying for a classic expierence via pin-ball physics, the boost is counter-productive.

Edited by BlazingTales

The homing attack is awesome in 3d games, since Sonic flies in so many different directions, he pretty much needs that little help. But in a 2d game, wheres its a flat plane, its kinda redundant to have that.

Well, tomorrow is the day! I wonder how much concept art we'll get THIS time!?

Jumping

Spindash

Then, maybe... Instashield - To destroy the unidus in Launch Base Zone, and even then, it's needed good timing. I'm also a fan of the elemental shields. I wonder though, what it could be done for the series not to get stall.

For 3D, the rails (Unleashed were almost perfect) and wall jump are good adds (it's easy to cut a way like this, just add a ledge). Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash not really, but acceptable if they aren't spammed and are used smartly, AND NOT as level design. No more trails of enemies over bottomless pits. I'm not a particular fan of the boost (because it breaks the purpose of momentum most of the time), but I wouldn't mind it as a power for Super Sonic.

Edited by redmenace

The homing attack is awesome in 3d games, since Sonic flies in so many different directions, he pretty much needs that little help. But in a 2d game, wheres its a flat plane, its kinda redundant to have that.

Well, tomorrow is the day! I wonder how much concept art we'll get THIS time!?

One for each image someone drew. *wishful thinking*

I'm super-excited to see what the concept art will be of! We know the zones but could there be... more?

Jumping

Spindash

Then, maybe... Instashield - To destroy the unidus in Launch Base Zone, and even then, it's needed good timing. I'm also a fan of the elemental shields. I wonder though, what it could be done for the series not to get stall.

For 3D, the rails and wall jump are good adds. Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash not really, but acceptable if they aren't spammed and are used smartly, AND NOT as level design. No more trails of enemies over bottomless pits. I'm not a particular fan of the boost (because it breaks the purpose of momentum most of the time), but I wouldn't mind it as a power for Super Sonic.

That's-- a good idea! It would make sense to give Super Sonic the boost. I always found him hard to control, but if you gave the boost to him he could still run at normal speeds but would still be able to pick up the pace if you wanted to! (Although that might not work with bottomless pits and levels not meant for such a move) :)

Edited by BlazingTales

I'm sure most Sonic fans, no, most gamers in general are simply skeptical of Project Needlemouse because we've heard similar hooks used to hype the last Sonic games. And those weren't exactly well received if I recall.

Those other games didn't get hyped by badniks, promise of Sonic-only, and need I remind you the wonderful and spot on description of what classic Sonic gameplay's all about?

As far as I'm certain, as long as they stay true to the things they've said, shown and more, I can easily see this game being different from those other hype builders.