Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Bit behind the times, but this topic moves so damn fast... Why is everyone mocking up Genesis box art for this game? If it's downloadable it'll have a piece of art with the XBLA/PSN logo strips at the top, if it's disc-based it'll have their retail logo strips.

Bit behind the times, but this topic moves so damn fast... Why is everyone mocking up Genesis box art for this game?

Why not? ;)

Bit behind the times, but this topic moves so damn fast... Why is everyone mocking up Genesis box art for this game? If it's downloadable it'll have a piece of art with the XBLA/PSN logo strips at the top, if it's disc-based it'll have their retail logo strips.

(was thinking to switc hback on topic soon anyways)

Well I think Mega Man 9 is inspiration, it was DLC but Capcom went and made the cheesyboxart anyway, as they are doing with 10.

megaman9promoart.jpg

mega-man-10-20091216012037968.jpg

We all know deep down this game was directly inspired by Mega Man 9.

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper

^ They're trying to mimic what Capcom's been doing. For Megaman 9 and 10 Capcom make a mock-up SNES boxart to represent the games.

What TV are you using? All retro games look terrible on HDTVs. You don't get all the color blends and dithering effects.

Meh. It is really a per game thing. You always get a much sharper, clearer image regardless of how you hook it up (but still especially if you use higher quality video connections. X'Eye = Win.) because HDTVs render the image in a completely different way from SDTVs; but not all games suffer that much from loss of dithering.

I've always wondered what Sonic 2 looked like on an HDTV, actually. As far as I know, that was the only game on the system that was designed the way it was.

Edited by Tornado

I love the Sonic 3D Genesis soundtrack, but the Saturn one beats it in every possible way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCCXgyiZqcc

It has EPIC all over it...

Anyways, what a way to start hedgehog week, new info tomorrow, ASR being awesome with MOAR forklift, and I finally got to play Sonic Adventure 2 today (I would be still playing it, but I want to play it with my nephew...)

p.d: I also jumped in the "NIpples" bandwaggon

EDIT:

^ They're trying to mimic what Capcom's been doing. For Megaman 9 and 10 Capcom make a mock-up SNES boxart to represent the games.

Or maybe they are going with a NSMB route, you know, trying to bring the classic gameplay back but adding new things in the process (like the graphics).

Edited by imarafan
  • Thumbs Up 1

They never said the updates would come Monday. When the art submission thing started they said it will end Monday but they never said when the updates would be announced until the weekend when they said Tuesday.

Ah, okay that makes sense. I just assumed that they were originally going to reveal something the day that the Sega Challenge would end, like they did with the previous Sega Challenge where they revealed Sonic as the only playable character along with the bonus concept art. My bad.

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool

I love the Sonic 3D Genesis soundtrack, but the Saturn one beats it in every possible way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCCXgyiZqcc

It has EPIC all over it...

You just posted one of my favorite Sonic songs of all time. Seriously Panic Puppet act 2 in the saturn version's music is downright amazing.

I believe Doctor Eggman is referring to this.

My favourite ever. It's my ring tone every now and then.

The 3D one is cool as well.

One main theme with lyrics. Probably Un-gravity. That thing just screams cool all over, but it's not something I'd relate to Sonic either. The classics Open your Heart and Live and Learn for the title screen are also quite good as far as I'm concerned. Suppose the Knight of the Wind is not bad either. They still don't relate to a Sonic main theme like the chiptunes onez.

You just posted one of my favorite Sonic songs of all time. Seriously Panic Puppet act 2 in the saturn version's music is downright amazing.

3D has such good music. It has the only tune for a special stage it doesn't get old.

The Rusty Ruin, Diamond Dust, ... ALL OF THEM.

Edited by redmenace

Jesus, if this topics moving THIS fast on nothing but hype, I can only DREADknux to see how many pages will accumulate tomorrow.

As for 3D Blast music, for whatever reason, we all have to admit sooner or later that the greatest song in that game is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfz_8eIij7Y&feature=related

Remixed and put on every trailer.

SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS, YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jesus, if this topics moving THIS fast on nothing but hype, I can only DREADknux to see how many pages will accumulate tomorrow.

If it's anything that's remotely substantial, maybe it'll break the forums. :o

Edited by Light

I hope not, I've only just joined :(

Nah, I'm looking forward to finally getting the name of Needlemouse, even if it is the seemingly-likely Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

As for 3D Blast music, for whatever reason, we all have to admit sooner or later that the greatest song in that game is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3mhSAd1lHk

SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS, YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!

I think we're also just enjoying remembering on older Sonic games while we wait.

Was I the only one who liked Sonic Blast for the GameGear, like really... It was one of my favorite GameGear sonic games, along with Chaos, Triple Trouble, Tails Adventure, and Drift 2.

Was I the only one who liked Sonic Blast for the GameGear, like really... It was one of my favorite GameGear sonic games, along with Chaos, Triple Trouble, Tails Adventure, and Drift 2.

I could never get into the GG games. The control is a bit awkward for my liking. Kinda floaty, too big sprites and awkward physics. Though if someone remade the levels and everything using the Genesis engine, I'd play that shit fo breakfast lunch n dinner.

As far as music goes, I hope they get as much inspiration as they can from both versions of Sonic CD.

Regarding the title: I love it; but I think S&K covered that years ago (no, I don't think S3&K should be considered just one game)

Edited by Vasco

Sonic & Knuckles was basically Sonic 3: part 2 no matter how you look at it.

Agreed. Sonic and Knuckles without the lock-on was very... lacking. In many ways, it was one step back for the franchise (no save, no Tails). Hooked on with Sonic 3, however, and you have a master piece!

Yeah, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is essentially (if not actually) the first game leading into the second. They're one game.

Shadow being SA2.5 on the other hand.... not so much. It is very difficult to lock-on CDs.

Sonic and Knuckles without the lock-on was very... lacking. In many ways, it was one step back for the franchise (no save, no Tails). Hooked on with Sonic 3, however, and you have a master piece!

Really? I honestly think it's the other way around. Sonic 3 didn't have as enjoyable zones or as good of music as Sonic and Knuckles did. Thus making it the better half.

In fact, most of the time I replay Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my old save files I'll skip straight to Mushroom Hill.

I never could save in my copy of Sonic 3. Pissed me off because I could only get pass Carnival Night Zone if I used Knuckles (at the time) which meant I had to rent Sonic and Knuckles to play the next zones as Sonic...

Really? I honestly think it's the other way around. Sonic 3 didn't have as enjoyable zones or as good of music as Sonic and Knuckles did. Thus making it the better half.

In fact, most of the time I replay Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my old save files I'll skip straight to Mushroom Hill.

I didn't mean it was a step down quality-wise, but as it's own game compared to what we had feature-wise in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (like I said, save feature/Tails co-op), it was a step down.

Edited by BlazingTales

Yeah I understand in that sense, but for me multiplayer wasn't too big anyway. I played the games by myself almost entirely.

I don't think mutiplayer in Sonic games has ever really been all that spectacular outside of the Rush games.

Edited by Top Cat