Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I'm actually enjoying how this game looks so far (for the most part) and I don't believe for a second that hype is building to any significant degree at the moment. Like, I could believe that most fans are at least mildly interested in the game, but even if I'm not as down on it as most, the GHZ footage definitely seemed to kill anything resembling "hype." I expect trailers to fix that, tho' that's no guarantee either.

And as for people outside the fanbase...I rarely see people talk about Sonic, positively or negatively. Maybe it's just the circles I'm in / pay attention to, I dunno.

Pretty much me right now as well. To answer that disappointment question, the only things that I have been disappointed with is Classic Sonic. His inclusion and the forced GHZ is kinda a bummer to me. Unless that "new factor" to Classic Sonic wows me, then it'll probably end up being my least favorite part about the game again. That and wisps, but if they are only the boost wisps, then I'm actually fine with them. It's all really gonna come down to E3 to seal my fate on the game. May can't go by any faster.

Also, I'm really hoping that they go the SA1, 2, Heroes, and 06, route where they separate the gameplay styles. It worked in Generations since they were only two, but switching between three different gameplay styles before you can move on just seems really tedious. That and I can just continuing playing with one style throughout instead of having to constantly adjust myself to each style while playing.

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I've seen people say "Wasn't a 3D Sonic game coming out? What's this game then?" referring to the Green Hill footage. I wouldn't say there's much hype surrounding the game. Everything kinda fell apart when the GHZ footage came out, both inside the fanbase and outside of it.

It's not that we're nitpicky or can't be pleased, what we've been shown doesn't really look GOOD.

And while Sonic may have been a laughing stock a couple of years ago, now people just don't care, outside of some Mania hype, and that does not look good, especially for a Mascotte character. Mario Odissey had some mixed opinions when it was shown, but people are constantly talking about it and they know Nintendo will not screw up a Mario game, so they might be puzzled, but they know the're getting a quality game in the end.

Do we know that? It will be technically refined and a complete game, not like 2006, but a quality product? Who knows.

I actually think this is precisely what general consumers are wanting from the franchise now. Something with the more realistic touch folks grew familiar with between S1 through Unleashed along with the general tone of titles between Adventure and Black Knight.

It's surprising how despite the problems with game play Black Knight is often heralded as the top tier thing revolving plot in the franchise.

Along with the multiple character thing as well, something more open and such...

So yeah, in general something like 06 is pretty much what folks are going for in regards to the stuff I mentioned. Not when it comes to the plot mind you, but the general content/direction.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I actually think this is precisely what general consumers are wanting from the franchise now. Something with the more realistic touch folks grew familiar with between S1 through Unleashed along with the general tone of titles between Adventure and Black Knight.

It's surprising how despite the problems with game play Black Knight is often heralded as the top tier thing revolving plot in the franchise.

Along with the multiple character thing as well, something more open and such...

So yeah, in general something like 06 is pretty much what folks are going for in regards to the stuff I mentioned. Not when it comes to the plot mind you, but the general content/direction.

My bad, I didn't word that well. I didn't mean a game that had the same characteristics as 2006. I meant "like 2006" as in not broken and technically unfinished.

11 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Do we know that? It will be technically refined and a complete game, not like 2006, but a quality product? Who knows.

Ok, that's stretching it....

I think that there is a lot to know yet about this game.

The game disappointed a lot this far, but still, I feel that I still know nothing. The stages, the plot, the other gameplay...

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought that was clear, but I meant that the game will surely be technically sound and well refined, unlike 2006 was. So that's not what I'm afraid of. I was saying that I'm worried about the design direction they took, not about the game being a finished product, since it will surely be so.

I said that since I mentioned Mario Odissey and said that Mario fans can surely expect a well designed game, and a surely technically sound one. Some Mario games may not be to someone's taste but they are well designed game all around.

We can't say that about the Sonic franchise.

17 minutes ago, Zippo said:

So basically, you have absolutely no evidence of any kind to back up your claims? 

Okay, cool, gotcha. 

You could've replied to the second paragraph in my last post, then you might have had a clearer idea of my point. It's not hard to see that the atmosphere 3D Sonic games has recently changed for the better. There will always the occasionsl post seeking to denigrate Sonic games as a whole but Sonic  Forces has brought 3D Sonic games back into conversation. Now, as the long awaited sequel to Sonic Generations there is a real sense of excitment building, which will continue to accelerate towards E3 as Sonic Forces benefits from the shared hype of Sony and Microsoft's conferences.

Just now, Sonikko said:

I thought that was clear, but I meant that the game will surely be technically sound and well refined, unlike 2006 was. So that's not what I'm afraid of. I was saying that I'm worried about the design direction they took, not about the game being a finished product, since it will surely be so.

Oh, sorry.

I'm only worried about the level design, because the art style and tone seems perfect to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Don't speak for the massively diverse and divided fandom that is the Sonic fanbase, dude.

Don't speak for those outside of them either. They're even more diverse and divided.

• Thumbs Up 5

21 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I kinda don't want to hear broad generalizations on what people want without something backing it up anymore.

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You could've replied to the second paragraph in my last post, then you might have had a clearer idea of my point. 

We'd have a much clearer understanding if you actually backed up your claims.

Just one link to a place where the hype is clearly there for the game. That's all we asked.

Saying the same thing over and over isn't proof.

• Thumbs Up 7

16 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You could've replied to the second paragraph in my last post, then you might have had a clearer idea of my point. It's not hard to see that the atmosphere 3D Sonic games has recently changed for the better. There will always the occasionsl post seeking to denigrate Sonic games as a whole but Sonic  Forces has brought 3D Sonic games back into conversation. Now, as the long awaited sequel to Sonic Generations there is a real sense of excitment building, which will continue to accelerate towards E3 as Sonic Forces benefits from the shared hype of Sony and Microsoft's conferences.

With all respect, you seem to be copying and pasting your early posts.

You need evidence. You are just making people who are excited for the game look even worse.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm still hanging onto that premise to pull me through. If this game wasn't about Eggman finally taking over the world (literally the one premise I've always wanted to see happen in a Sonic game since forever) then being left with almost everything else we've been presented with would have probably left me as a zombie.

It just feels like a weird mishmash of the things they don't know how to do right.

You pose the question, "There's three playable characters. Who do we choose?" And the number one obvious answer that comes to any normal person's mind would probably be "Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles" and if they wanted to switch out a character for another or add another they'd go from there. And Mania did that.

Meanwhile, the corporate dodos flail their arms about and go, "Well we'll use Sonic and then use another Sonic because people done did like that Classic Sonic wot we used in Generations and in the days where people liked the classic games and we'll throw the wisps in cause the wisps were liked. They were just liked. We don't know the reason. Context for why they were liked in the one game that they were introduced in doesn't matter. We just know that people liked them so just throw all that shit in there."

You then pose the question, "How are you going to innovate on what you've decided to do with this game?" and the Mania crew decides that some new levels, new features, new moves, and maybe something interesting like those rumored animated cutscenes? Seems reasonable.

Meanwhile the Corporate bumbletrots are all "Bubsy character creation 4D. Cause that's innovation. Doing something completely new and out of left field for the sake of innovation. Who cares if it branches off of something that would reasonably be seen in Sonic? Who cares if it connects to anything. Werehog. Sword. Guns. Wisps. What? We got the wisps right? That was damn lucky of us. Let's do that again then. What? People are complaining about them now? They liked it before why not now? It can't be that the circumstances and structure of the game as well as the necessity of their inclusion falls under a completely different umbrella for the specifics of the title they were shoehorned into. NO! More wisps! New ones like Eagle (which makes you fly faster in a 3D space instead of hover slowly in a 2D one), Asteroid (which is basically the Void wisp from Colors DS only with shit motion controls that we had to patch out for free later), Rhythm (tap the screen to make Sonic go right instead of hold the analog stick right to make Sonic go right), Bomb (useless), Shoe-Lacer (Ties Sonic's shoes even though he has a shoe buckle), Saucer (It throws packets of barbeque sauce at Sonic), Tax (It stops Sonic in the middle of the stage and has him do his taxes). 

Also, we'll throw in a completely arbitrary and useless 2-player mode that absolutely no one even remembers was in Lost World where instead of playing as Tails, you control weird remote planes and knick-knacks that Tails scrapped together using the scrap from his garage. Because of course people would get more excited playing with those then the fox himself. No one likes Tails. But we'll still use him anyway because we know people like him because we can't ever make any fucking sense.

Why though? Why can't you do something that makes sense SEGA? Mania makes sense. I may not be excited for it cause I'm not into the 2D Sonic but your making me jealous of it right now. Even the music. The fucking Studiopolis music plays in my head almost everyday while your Green Hill shite makes me want to gag myself with a spoon. I bought the goddamn Studiopolis shirt because it's swagger as hell. Meanwhile, Forces, the one I'm interested in, can't even be advertised properly. And now the Archie Comics are in limbo so I can't even enjoy the characters getting to DO stuff anymore. I gotta watch them be Sonic's  bellhops and doormen. Just standing there like they've all got guns to the backs of their heads. And Jazwares lost the toy license, so I'm never getting that poorly made Rouge the Bat and E-123 Omega toy I've always wanted. I don't need a Cream the Rabbit one because she doesn't need to do anything really but I needed those two and it's impossible now because that's gone.

And First 4 Figures is stopping things now. And Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. THAT was heavily advertized. Why not do that with Forces? Or with something that makes SENSE. Why not try making SENSE for once in your miserable 3rd party existance SEGA? Why do you always have to be so fucking WEEEIRRRRD?!?!?!?!?!

Goddamn wisps and Bubsy and Archie and TOMY and Batman and Wii U Exclusives and Deadly Six and Classic Sonic and Time Travel and Cheerleaders and Sand in Green Hill and Godzilla and new Sonic anime PLEASE! 

So anyway that mildly annoys me a bit.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I kinda don't want to hear broad generalizations on what people want without something backing it up anymore.

I'm basically just speaking based on the receptions of Lost World as a general whole and the scripts of the BOOM titles along with the pretty frequent backlash to the whole solo-Sonic thing as of late.

Not based on the "popular critics" reception but rather general consumers/communities responses. Looking through these threads can back up my thoughts fairly well.

Though granted Lost World gets credit for "trying" as many point out, that's not exactly much in the way of actual praise.

Forces is a baby step, it's just a curious thing as to what comes after.

Honestly, the new character is the single most annoying aspect to me so far. Unless they're bring in characters from other canons (in which I wouldn't be as bothered as I am), they could have just kept the premise as "This time, Eggman gets serious and actually takes over the world; join Sonic and his old friends to stop him" and everything would have been perfect for me.

Emphasis on "old" friends--that means everyone that was introduced before this game was announced.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm basically just speaking based on the receptions of Lost World as a general wh

Nah, none of that. At least we have records of what critics thought of the game. This "general opinion" stuff doesn't go further than whatever circles you choose to hang around and how much your own personal bias influences that. That goes for most of the times it's been used in this thread considering how much it varies.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

We'd have a much clearer understanding if you actually backed up your claims.

I think its absurd how treat the idea of optmism as something that needs to quantified like an account or otherwise it doesn't exist. As I've already explianed, you wont find equivilents to SSMB since active forums are already a rare concept on the internet and getting rarer each day. What I'm talking about is the flow of conservstion. A conversation that only exists thanks to Sonic Forces and which is steadily restoring the repuation of 3D Sonic games in the process.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

I think its absurd how treat the idea of optmism as something that needs to quantified like an account or otherwise it doesn't exist. As I've already explianed, you wont find equivilents to SSMB since active forums are already a rare concept on the internet and getting rarer each day. 

So by what you've just said...

It doesn't exist.

Took 2 pages but we got there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well... since we're arguing over general opinion of the game again, just throwing it out there, here's that poll again since it's now 250 votes strong:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12871059/r

(Of course feel free to add your vote if you haven't already here: http://www.strawpoll.me/12871059/ )

Many disappointments / very minor disappoinments are near neck-and-neck as ever at the top, but there is significantly more of both them and "there are major disappointments that will need fixing" than there are people who like everything they've seen.  Overall I'd consider that an air of disappointment.

Of course, worth mentioning too, that it's still only a small minority who have written off the game completely until an unlikely further notice.

• Thumbs Up 8

43 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Wuh? All you did was make up excuses and dance around Hogfather's arguments and requests for evidence. There is no underlying "point" in any of your posts. You just say the same thing over and over again with a new coat of paint. You've proven nothing except for the fact that you have tried again and again to silence anyone who even dares to question the "increasing hype" of Forces. 

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So by what you've just said...

It doesn't exist.

Took 2 pages but we got there.

What I've said is that you need to adjust your expectations about where information comes from in 2017. You won't find morevplaces like SSMB being made today. This makes the hype for Sonic Forces more organic in many ways.

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

What I've said is that you need to adjust your expectations about where information comes from in 2017. You won't find morevplaces like SSMB being made today. This makes the hype for Sonic Forces more organic in many ways.

And yet you couldn't even link to one place... or one person to back this up.

Lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... Uhh...

Anybody see a building that stuck out the most to them in the Modern Sonic game play shown so far?

Any part of the stage you actually liked?

12 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Church Of Eggman

Metal/Scrap Sanctuary Zone

toy factories

Badnik Plant Zone

Eggman themed opera houses

Music Paradise Zone

Zoo's.

Prison Palace Zone

A giant Disneyland style level

12 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Egg Factory Zone will literally be about eggs.

Omulet Park Zone

11 hours ago, Jango said:

Honestly, all levels in Forces should be Eggman centered: Eggman's Evil Jacuzzi Zone, Eggman's Evil Tennis Court Zone, Eggman's Evil Dining Room Zone, Eggman's Evil Beach House Zone, Eggman's Evil Rest Room Zone, Eggman's Evil 7-Eleven, Eggman's Evil Starbucks Zone...

Eggman Enterprises Zone

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

So... Uhh...

Anybody see a building that stuck out the most to them in the Modern Sonic game play shown so far?

It looks nice. I kinda just want to see what it all looks like.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

So... Uhh...

The water doesn't look polluted enough, but it looks nice. That's positive.