Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I've been a fan since 91. The thing about forces that bugs me is how little Sega wants to show off unlike mania. I'm sure some has to do with surprise but all it feels of 8ts self doubt the game will be praised heavily and is simply another meducorw 3d game tossed out. Hell sonic adventure had more screenshots and info before launch than this mess

I agree that SEGA's not really had any high profile coverage of the game yet - we've had two incredibly brief previews and otherwise just some screenshots and videos uploaded to their own channels. The Nintendo Direct is the biggest showcasing that the game has gotten yet too. But it's still relatively early right now. There's half a year left to go yet. You're getting flustered over nothing here. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What if the Modern Sonic stage we've seen is the only one like it and the rest of the game has more of a Green Hill direction?

It wouldn't be much of a surprise if they showed the best and/or most cinematic Modern stage to reveal the game.

Just now, BlueParadox said:

By more of a green hill direction, you mean like past stages with a twist? (E.g - Seaside Hill with sand)

Cos' if that's the case, then that wouldn't be a "brand new experience" at all IMO.

I basically mean "killing the world softly" where by and large things look normal save for a twist ala nothing but sand in lush environments and stuff.

Though your speculation could also be a potential thing where it's a combination of "kind of new" yet "kind of not" where places look familiar but have small twists along with environmental quirks.

When you think about it the Modern stage looks like Spagonia with twists the same as Green Hill but...

Just my thoughts.

The idea of the normal levels but "different" is probably what Generations shoulda been.

Forces should actually be something different, like because the time travel element is less important to the story than Eggman just taking over the world. Which would require new levels.

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The idea of the normal levels but "different" is probably what Generations shoulda been.

Forces should actually be something different, like because the time travel element is less important to the story than Eggman just taking over the world. Which would require new levels.

I dunno...

I still think my previous theory holds some ground where it's a sequel of Generations to show the world after all the time and space bending despite the efforts of the heroes. Kind of like falling into an entirely new world that's familiar but warped.

...I dunno, trying to make it interesting and establish some continuity.

56 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I basically mean "killing the world softly" where by and large things look normal save for a twist ala nothing but sand in lush environments and stuff.

Though your speculation could also be a potential thing where it's a combination of "kind of new" yet "kind of not" where places look familiar but have small twists along with environmental quirks.

When you think about it the Modern stage looks like Spagonia with twists the same as Green Hill but...

Just my thoughts.

The city stage is not Spagonia... Why some of you keep saying that that's Spagonia on fire? Is a new city.

I certainly hope that old level with a twist is not the gimmick, or else Iizuka was pretty much lying.

13 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

The city stage is not Spagonia... Why some of you keep saying that that's Spagonia on fire? Is a new city.

I certainly hope that old level with a twist is not the gimmick, or else Iizuka was pretty much lying.

I would give the benefit of the doubt and blame it on language barriers and/or misunderstandings.

Given what we've seen of the game though Green Hill is still enough to call his statement a bit borderline on it being a new and/or non-sequel experience, especially if the first stage is quite literally the same.

26 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

The highlight of that quote said "it looks like Spagonia" not that it is , and if people think it looks similar then that's all there is to it.

Right, then...

I don't think is supposed look like it either...

I just want GHZ to be the ONLY returning stage. 

If this game turns out to be Generations 2.0, I'm going to rage.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

If this game turns out to be Generations 2.0, I'm going to rage.

I mean, it already is Generations 2.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Nepenthe said:

I mean, it already is Generations 2.

Thanks for reminding me.

But I'm still hopeful for more creative worlds than Lost World. I want my rainy stage dammit.

Right now, if tasked to imagine it, I assume we're gonna get a mixture, the game will pace itself between high and low.  If stage 1 is the burning city, maybe stage 2 will be the classic sonic level where we see what he's up to, then stage 3 will be a high stakes level again like a low-level eggman factory, then stage 4 will visit a pocket that eggman's influence hasn't reached like an underground water cavern or something and so on and so forth.

Just makes the most sense, basically how most "regular" Sonic games tend to handle the balance of natural vs urban/industrial themed stages.

Of course I assume to save on assets we'll visit the same areas as multiple characters, but since I doubt Classic Sonic is gonna visit destroyedopolis before sandy hill, it'll prolly be handled like Day and night levels in Unleashed.  Each character will visit every "zone" throughout the game, but not necessarily in the same order.  So the burning city might be Modern Sonic's first stage, but it'll be Classic Sonic's third or fourth etc.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

@Kintor If you can't provide a link to any mainstream gaming outlet or community with a decently-sized member base that can be discerned to be mostly positive about Sonic Forces (NeoGAF would be your easiest example), then drop the tangent. This is what I was talking about concerning disingenuous arguing being the cause of half the shit in this thread.

Alright, then; this whole conversation was pretty absurd to begin with. I just think people are asking the wrong question if they’re looking to find clear statements about Sonic Forces on media platforms, the gaming community is rarely so straightforward about anything.

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Of course I assume to save on assets we'll visit the same areas as multiple characters, but since I doubt Classic Sonic is gonna visit destroyedopolis before sandy hill, it'll prolly be handled like Day and night levels in Unleashed.  Each character will visit every "zone" throughout the game, but not necessarily in the same order.  So the burning city might be Modern Sonic's first stage, but it'll be Classic Sonic's third or fourth etc.

You've raised an important point here. Presumably the 'ruined city' is the modern starting stage while the Green Hill Zone (naturally enough) is the classic starting stage. So while it's likely that both versions of Sonic will visit all areas eventually before the end of the game that's no guarantee they will complete the levels in the same order. This suggests an entirely different level structure then what was used in Sonic Generations. If anything it reminds me more of Sonic Adventure, with different characters visiting the same levels at different points in their story when it seemed the most appropriate.

11 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Alright, then; this whole conversation was pretty absurd to begin with. I just think people are asking the wrong question if they’re looking to find clear statements about Sonic Forces on media platforms, the gaming community is rarely so straightforward about anything.

Is it possible to taste your own irony?

Also, here's something that made me laugh. Sonic X's JP opening fits here pretty nicely.

• Thumbs Up 8

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Is it possible to taste your own irony?

I'm saying you've got to read to between the lines. Looking at the surface comments (especially when the top comment is something snarky and negative attention grabbing) will never tell you the full story of what games actually think. Looking for an 'exemplar' forum thread or comments section is asking the wrong questions.

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Also, here's something that made me laugh. Sonic X's JP opening fits here pretty nicely.

Not a bad comparison but still kind of annoying how both songs are playing at the same time. Too much white noise going on, especially as a headphone user. It's just distracting.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

So, what you're basically saying is that you cannot provide a source of positive press and reception because so far Forces has yet to make a splash and in actual fact nobody is even taking about it. 

You could have just said so in the first place. Geez...

...Sure would be nice to move on and forget about this...

...And ignore any future posts maybe...

...Sure would be nice...

SO!! Who wants to wager which console Forces will sell the most on?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

SO!! Who wants to wager which console Forces will sell the most on?

It will obviously sell best on the Dreamcast II XP

Just now, OcelotBot said:

It will obviously sell the best on the Dreamcast II XP

Naw, the SEGA Uranus is where it's at, cause SEGA's gonna shove it up all their competitors!

Long live the thinking machines.

Hey. Hey, listen. Hey hey. Listen. Alright. Hey. What kinda bosses do you think we'll get? Or what kind of bosses would you like to see? Gonna be honest, I'm hoping they do something to make Modern Sonic's bosses more unique. The ones in Unleashed were all kinda same-y. I liked Generations' bosses for the most part, like Perfect Chaos and Shadow... I guess Egg Dragoon was alright, but it got stale relatively quickly.

2 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Hey. Hey, listen. Hey hey. Listen. Alright. Hey. What kinda bosses do you think we'll get? Or what kind of bosses would you like to see? Gonna be honest, I'm hoping they do something to make Modern Sonic's bosses more unique. The ones in Unleashed were all kinda same-y. I liked Generations' bosses for the most part, like Perfect Chaos and Shadow... I guess Egg Dragoon was alright, but it got stale relatively quickly.

I want to fight a SUPER-colossal dragon robot soaring over a city destroying it while you battle trying to stop the rampage using an interesting combination of Sonic himself and the Tornado.

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

You could have ust said so in the first place. Geez...

If you insist on continuing this conversation I must again say that your assumptions are flawed. A universal opinion doesn't exist on the internet but its a mistake to beleive that cynicism can drown out all other thought. An on going conversation is more then enough to keep things moving forward.

23 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Who wants wager which console Forces will sell the most on?

I think that the PS4 version will sell the most. With the PC following as a close second.

6 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

It will obviously sell the best on the Dreamcast II XP

Ah, so the Switch, then? I guess anything is possible, eh? ¦D

2 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Gonna have to disagree on Egg Dragoon getting stale since that's honestly my favorite boss fight in literally ANY Sonic game to date. But hey, personal tastes and all that.

I'd like something like Perfect Chaos to become the norm as well. You know, where it's a boss fight AND a level at the same time. Shadow's fight was okay, but he honestly needed to attack you more. He just didn't do enough. I actually like Silver's Generations fight more than his.

• Thumbs Up 1