Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

14 hours ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Since we wanna get back on topic, let me ask you all something while we are at it.

Just how many of you are disappointed with Forces so far? Also, how many of you are not?

I'm not disappointed at all. Can't say there's much to be excited about either, though. We still barely know anything about the game, and I'd rather not get emotionally invested one way or the other based on less than 3 minutes of footage. Color me cautiously optimistic at this point.

• Thumbs Up 4

52 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I swear if this game has another good damn fucking food level...

Aw, I always liked the food levels though. I was reminded of how much I liked the aesthetic last night while playing MK8DX.

I'm usually one for more "cool" type levels (like the fiery city or space stations), but something about speeding over giant cakes is appealing to me.

I love the sound of an Egg Palace. I'd love it if this leads to a bunker underneath where you have to catch him before he escapes or fires a WMD when he knows the game's up. 

Honestly, all levels in Forces should be Eggman centered: Eggman's Evil Jacuzzi Zone, Eggman's Evil Tennis Court Zone, Eggman's Evil Dining Room Zone, Eggman's Evil Beach House Zone, Eggman's Evil Rest Room Zone, Eggman's Evil 7-Eleven, Eggman's Evil Starbucks Zone...

• Thumbs Up 3

None of the food levels featured chili dogs so none of them are correct anyway

• Thumbs Up 3

56 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I won't stand to have them retconning Riders either.

I just don't think it works for Sonic at all. Sweet Mountain in Colours barely gets a pass because it's got more to it that 'giant confectionery floating in a technicolour void", and suitably worked with the theme park angle. But there wasn't a moment's thought given to Lost World's Dessert Ruins. Sonic levels are at their best where there's an element of reality and creativity to them. Giant food is just no.

Oh, that's a good point.

Hm... On the subject of stages, I can't really think of any new tropes off the top of my head that I'd like to see. In terms of old ones though I'd like to see another space level. I love those.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I just don't think it works for Sonic at all. Sweet Mountain in Colours barely gets a pass because it's got more to it that 'giant confectionery floating in a technicolour void", and suitably worked with the theme park angle. But there wasn't a moment's thought given to Lost World's Dessert Ruins. Sonic levels are at their best where there's an element of reality and creativity to them. Giant food is just no.

An instance of convenient timing:

xn0jnJV.png

Really, though, I don't get why Dessert Ruins sets off so many people. It's not the platonic ideal of Sonic level themes or anything, but it's not the only time the series has dabbled in weirder level themes, yet it's the only one that seems to get shit for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

xn0jnJV.png

Really, though, I don't get why Dessert Ruins sets off so many people. It's not the platonic ideal of Sonic level themes or anything, but it's not the only time the series has dabbled in weirder level themes, yet it's the only one that seems to get shit for it.

It's because of where it was placed. It's completely irrelevant to the zone as a whole compared to the stage you just brought up.

Are you really going to argue that people would've liked Dessert Ruins more if there was a whole zone's worth of it?

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Honestly, all levels in Forces should be Eggman centered: Eggman's Evil Jacuzzi Zone, Eggman's Evil Tennis Court Zone, Eggman's Evil Dining Room Zone, Eggman's Evil Beach House Zone, Eggman's Evil Rest Room Zone, Eggman's Evil 7-Eleven, Eggman's Evil Starbucks Zone...

And thus, completing each stage recovers the stage's colors to their former glory day phase.

22 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

xn0jnJV.png

The thing is that Dessert Ruins was not only misplaced, it also seems to totally lack a sense of real structure. Sweet Mountain, Music Plant, or heck, Level Ate from one of Sonic's contemporaries seem to have structure, are attached to something. They feel convincing, with a Sky and all. Even Level Ate feels like a cavern of some kind. Dessert Ruins has no structure, the things are just suspended in a nonsensical space. The music also hurts Dessert Ruins in this regard, as it sounds WAY too whimsical, innocent, cheery, and straight-faced. Sweet Mountain and Level Ate aren't like that. They come off as energetic and powerful with their music. (Love the jazz solo in Level Ate!)

And on-topic, I'd like to see a Decidous Forest stage, and another stage in Echidna ruins. Maybe a trip back to the ARK? Or heck, the Death Egg II.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Dessert Ruins has barely got any design to it. It's the most basic and unimaginative of ideas that doesn't even have any context within itself. There's just nothing to appreciate there. Music Plant, for being as totally unrealistic and out there as it is, is at least creative. It's some kind of structure adorned with and themed around musical instruments. If it was just trumpets and pianos against a sky backdrop, I'd be giving it just as much shit as I give Dessert Ruins. But it's not. It's a city/plant/factory/industrial whatsit themed around musical instruments. And that's pretty much what Sweet Mountain is too - just replace musical instruments with food. 

What aside from the name shows any indication that it's a city/plant/factory/industrial area? It's a bunch of abstract multicolored platforms and giant instruments in a starry pink void. Basically the only difference is that there's no gravity gimmick.

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm not disappointed at all. Can't say there's much to be excited about either, though. We still barely know anything about the game, and I'd rather not get emotionally invested one way or the other based on less than 3 minutes of footage. Color me cautiously optimistic at this point.

This is how I feel as well, so much rage caused by a 3 minute footage of a unfinished game

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I swear if this game has another good damn fucking food level...

As much as I don't care for food levels myself, what if it was like Sweet Mountain, only it's an Egg Food Factory with people visibly slaving in hellish conditions to make Eggman his sandwiches...or something?

This sounded less dumb in my head than out on words.

1 minute ago, SuaveKnux said:

This is how I feel as well, so much rage caused by a 3 minute footage of a unfinished game

Keep in mind that a lot of people who feel the same way you do probably felt less inclined to voice there opinion, so that's why it might seem like everyone is jumping the gun to bash the game at first...

Also, a majority of us "bashers" aren't nessesarily in "rage"...we just have nothing better to do so some of us will complain at any sight of what could be "bad game design" lol.

(sorry if this post was redundant.)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

tumblr_static_29p2sw1l72sko8wc8s4c8sokk_

Technically speaking, you're right; but the background gives suggestion of more than just a void. The colourful objects towards the bottom remind me of Stardust Speedway's cityscapes more than anything. It's just more structured than Lost World's genuine void of food. 

That's just too abstract for me to consider any kind of cityscape. Stardust Speedway was clearly invoking a cityscape, and actually had recognizable buildings visible to back it up. This is just some colorful pillars and giant instruments in a pink mist.

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

The very presence of those abstract multicoloured platforms forming a structure. Music Plant, whatever the hell it is, is more than just giant, disjointed objects floating in the sky. And what I'm getting at has absolutely nothing to do with the gravity gimmick; if it did, I'd be ripping on all of the other levels in Lost World as well.

So a giant jumble of ridiculous objects sitting on the ground is fine? I don't mean to be snarky but I just don't see how some people draw the line between "acceptable" and "blasphemous".

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

So a giant jumble of ridiculous objects sitting on the ground is fine? I don't mean to be snarky but I just don't see how some people draw the line between "acceptable" and "blasphemous".

Now you're just cherry picking, because I said more in previous posts.

Come on, man. You debate better than this. 

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Dessert Ruins would be fine if there were some other stages in the game that were equally surreal/disjointed other than Hidden World, since it would create a consistent idea that the Lost Hex really is this unpredictable and as crazy and surreal as the special stages of old... but it's the only one.

I actually think the Hidden World was fine. Thematically it was out there, but it wasn't devoid of any sense of creativity like Dessert Ruins.

• Thumbs Up 3

Was playing Lost World for the first time in ages earlier today and...

I...I just can't!

I watch dss Speedrun the game a lot and, it goes without saying that the way the levels are designed as a whole is just really lazy, reusing assets, everything looking so artificial its just UGH! And seeing the levels being broken so much only makes it worse...

And I need to make it clear that I'm singling out Lost World when I say this...06 speedruns despite there glitchyness still feel like actual levels. Every structure feels like it was given a soliditary purpose and reason for being there, its perhaps one of the best things about that game...

Like...I can't even tell where the levels are supposed to be located in relation to the sideways floor...is that part of the lost hex or??

Nevermind whatever dessert f**king ruins is supposed to be! I legitametly can't tell how sonic got in there and how he got out! (Like this is even worse than Sonic 2's random chemical plant for instance, but at least that can be handwaved.)

...To think this was all done for a dumb silly joke...well guess who's laughing! :/ (hint, its not me)

• Thumbs Up 6