Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

About the Mania-Forces situation:
I feel that instead of bringing Classic Sonic in Forces up to quality with Mania, they felt like they could go all out and just do their thing with it, flat level design, automation and all.

It's a bad approach imho, you should always strive to better yourself, not let go and just kinda go with the flow (which is what I wish Classic did, go with the flow, but he doesn't, he's all about losing momentum after scripted sequencies and running in straight lines now :)).

11 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Also, there's apparently hints about something or other in the gameplay and whatnot.

*remembers the lead up to the 25th anniversary party*

Oh dear.

Is it a bad thing or something?

Guys I just watched the footage.

Classic has the drop dash, and why are there speed boosters in front of the speed tunnels?

I also see classic loosing all momentum gained from speed boosters shortly after. The physics seem off to me

OK, so it's at least more appealing visually. The gameplay itself isn't looking to be an improvement over Generations though. Classic seems to have his own stomp now as well...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Pawn said:

OK, so it's at least more appealing visually. The gameplay itself isn't looking to be an improvement over Generations though. Classic seems to have his own stomp now as well...?

Where are you getting that from?

1 minute ago, Strong Guy said:

Where are you getting that from?

Around here: 

(1:26ish, after he dispatches the second badnik)

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Is it a bad thing or something?

Hints and teases only work when you have a base of assumption for something, a known or reasonably deduced variable to make any hints make sense within the context they're given.

Sega was teasing a convention/party with two game reveals the last time they did this. We were given random number sequences and images that could not be reasonably connected to the existence of a convention, because no one knew that a convention was or even could've been on the table at all. So guesses for what any of it meant were all over the place, and no one actually figured it out before Aaron revealed it. Throw on top of this the fact that we got outright fooled once or twice, and the whole experience became frustrating to people after awhile.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Pawn said:

Around here: 

(1:26ish, after he dispatches the second badnik)

That's just his landing animation

I can't imagine any timeline in which the fanbase is happy for... anything. Oh right, they are happy for fangames.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Hints and teases only work when you have a base of assumption for something, a known or reasonably deduced variable to make any hints make sense within the context they're given.

Sega was teasing a convention/party with two game reveals the last time they did this. We were given random number sequences and images that could not be reasonably connected to the existence of a convention, because no one knew that a convention was or even could've been on the table at all. So guesses for what any of it meant were all over the place, and no one actually figured it out before Aaron revealed it. Throw on top of this the fact that we got outright fooled once or twice, and the whole experience became frustrating to people after awhile.

Ahhh...

I thought you were trying to refer to all the problems they had with the anniversary party itself.

I've said it before, but I really think SEGA needs to take a few pages from BotW's advertising.

3 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

That's just his landing animation

No, I don't think so. He begins to descend naturally until he is suddenly forced straight down, much like how a speedrunner would use the stomp in boost gameplay.

Just now, Pawn said:

No, his vertical decent is altered mid-air. You can see orange sparks appear when it is triggered,

It's just his landing animation. He does it again at around 1:19. 

The orange sparks is the robots explosion.

One thing that's also bothering me...

Why does it feel like the music for the game is being done in such a last minute kind of way? I mean, folks are speculating this is placeholder music...

Why wouldn't pretty much the whole track be finished at this point? Why do they need to use placeholder music, and poor music at that? It feels like, all of a sudden, things are being rushed and pushed and randomly slapped together and it just feels unsettling.

There is absolutely zero reason to "hide" the real music for the zone. This is not Mania, it doesn't have the benefit of the doubt going for it. Consumers want to see a more finished product, a more thought out marketing campaign, not something popped out of the great beyond just because fans are freaking out about a zone and they want to reassure people of said zone only to make things worse by using some random thing to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

It's just his landing animation. He does it again at around 1:19. 

The orange sparks is the robots explosion.

I realised the orange sparks were nothing to do with it shortly after I posted that, yeah. XP

However, the way his arc of motion suddenly halts at 1:26 looks different to me. His speed seems to change.

6 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

I can't imagine any timeline in which the fanbase is happy for... anything. Oh right, they are happy for fangames.

Don't speak for everyone. I think most fangames are subpar

I think Sonic lands abruptly because the physics suck.

ok ok  I'll say something positive about this game, jeez

like all Sonic games, at least the music's- BWAAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Thumbs Up 7

From watching the footage, the itseems to just be Generations 2.0 in terms of how the classic levels play out. While that may have been excusable in 2011 (not really, though), in a year where Sonic Mania is also releasing, this footage looks so paltry by comparison. Quite a shame.

Edit: music sucks too

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

One thing that's also bothering me...

Why does it feel like the music for the game is being done in such a last minute kind of way? I mean, folks are speculating this is placeholder music...

Why wouldn't pretty much the whole track be finished at this point? Why do they need to use placeholder music, and poor music at that? It feels like, all of a sudden, things are being rushed and pushed and randomly slapped together and it just feels unsettling.

There is absolutely zero reason to "hide" the real music for the zone. This is not Mania, it doesn't have the benefit of the doubt going for it. Consumers want to see a more finished product, a more thought out marketing campaign, not something popped out of the great beyond just because fans are freaking out about a zone and they want to reassure people of said zone only to make things worse by using some random thing to do so.

I'm pretty sure music is on the tail of things that's done in a major production. It makes sense if you want to match it with the content.

The soundtrack itself feels really flat and boring to me though. All 3 of the tracks we've heard so far have been weak. Not sure if its because some of it needs more time.

Just now, Josh said:

I'm pretty sure music is on the tail of things that's done in a major production. It makes sense if you want to match it with the content.

The soundtrack itself feels really flat and boring to me though. All 3 of the tracks we've heard so far have been weak. Not sure if its because some of it needs more time.

I think it's a matter of re-using composers who are just getting kind of dry/stale basically. People love Crush40 for instance but the guys are getting on in years and their skill isn't really improving. Now and then I'll listen to something from them but their new stuff all sounds like something from ten years ago.

Mr. Senoue did this trailer music and, yeah... Doesn't sound too stepped up from Sonic 4...

I'd like some new folks to take the charge of composing for the franchise. Heck, look what TeeLopes has done. Sticking with EVERYTHING being traditional in EVERY aspect of the game from design, to game play, to even those composing it, no matter how you look at the situation it's all literally "been there done that" as I've said.

Personally, all the folks I mentioned are alright. But as far as what they do for the franchise, I'd like more TeeLopes type people brought in, more Whiteheads.

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think it's a matter of re-using composers who are just getting kind of dry/stale basically. People love Crush40 for instance but the guys are getting on in years and their skill isn't really improving. Now and then I'll listen to something from them but their new stuff all sounds like something from ten years ago.

Mr. Senoue did this trailer music and, yeah... Doesn't sound too stepped up from Sonic 4...

I'd like some new folks to take the charge of composing for the franchise. Heck, look what TeeLopes has done. Sticking with EVERYTHING being traditional in EVERY aspect of the game from design, to game play, to even those composing it, no matter how you look at the situation it's all literally "been there done that" as I've said.

Personally, all the folks I mentioned are alright. But as far as what they do for the franchise, I'd like more TeeLopes type people brought in, more Whiteheads.

I wouldn't mind new talent, but bringing back all the old talent they inexplicably gave up would be fine too. Feels like the only people composing Sonic games since lost world are largely Ohtani and Jun when the OSTs used to be bigger efforts with a variety of talent and genres 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I wouldn't mind new talent, but bringing back all the old talent they inexplicably gave up would be fine too. Feels like the only people composing Sonic games since lost world are largely Ohtani and Jun when the OSTs used to be bigger efforts with a variety of talent and genres 

Mmm...

Isn't the band called Dreams Come True the one that did the music for the franchise in the Genesis years...?

Or was that the name of a track/album of theirs...?

Either way, if they want/have to re-use folks, I wouldn't mind having them doing compositions for the Classic Sonic stages.

I'm thinking Eggman conquered the future by starving the past of its natural resources.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

They need to get Fumie Kumatani back on BGMs, I swear to Almighty GOD.

Does she even still do music. I can't find her credited in anything since Colors