Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

16 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

There is absolutely no time at all between now and the release to read, analyse, plan and implement changes without a substantial delay to the game and potential redesigns.

It's not about Forces, it would help about the next games they work on, I think...

There are a lot of windmill propellers littering the zone that don't move yet either.

Badly animated trees and incomplete assets, why are they showing this?

From what the footage showed it appears that Sonic has more of his original weight to him instead of what he had in Generations; his jumps are floatier and his acceleration looks more like it used to (it actually might be slightly faster) Also the spin dash isn't ridiculously overpowered anymore, and if that was the drop dash then that would mean Sonic Team decided to take some cues from Mania's devs which is intriguing; I wonder if they've taken any more ideas. Also maybe it's an indication Gen's skill shop is returning? It certainly seems like a skill you'd have to unlock which would indicate that the red star rings will unlock skills again which is a good purpose for them.

The music was a bit iffy but like I thought the footage Sega posted did the game much more justice visually than the Nintendo Direct did. All things considered I'm actually pretty satisfied with what was shown. I'm guessing the next time we'll see anything major is E3, assuming Sega decides to make a showing.

• Thumbs Up 7

So... new footage out of the blue.
It was a legit "WHAT THE FUCK" moment when I saw this video appear randomly on my youtube home, some hours ago when it was first uploaded, and I was super surprised to see that it contained the whole uncut level.
Eh... I didn't want to have a classic level as the first fully revealed to be honest but I guess it doesn't matter at this point.
I don't really know what I think about it so I'll try to comment it point by point, maybe when I'll be finished I'll understand better my opinion of it.

Aesthetically I'm surprised, it looks significantly better than the Direct footage, not super good but it's not bad.
I like the style they are going for and now that I can be certain that the unpolishness will be fixed during development I can say I have some hype in regards to seeing other zones.
I can reaffirm that I like Classic Sonic's new running animation, it still has a blurry effect but it's not as prevalent as in Sonic Generations (or the classics).

Gameplay-wise, I can see that they are using the fact that Mania exist as an excuse for completely change Classic Sonic's gameplay, I don't see them even trying to make it physics based, it reminds me of Sonic Lost World's 2D sections.
I'm ok with them not following the classic formula as they cannot compete with Sonic Mania on this front, now it's all a matter of whether I'll enjoy playing these stages or not, the only real problem I see is that he seems to accelerate a little too fast.
Wow, I see that they included the Drop Dash, I'm glad they did.
I think this also makes my old theory about this Classic Sonic being in the Mania timeline (long story, if you didn't read that post you'll not understand this) slightly more likely, idk if it's a good or bad thing.
They fixed the Spin Dash, it's not as powerful as it was in Generations finally, I'm really glad they did this.
I really don't have anything to say about the level design, it seems to be better than it looked through the six seconds of Direct footage but I'm not someone who focuses too much on how the level is structured, as long as I'll have fun playing it it's not bad imho.

The music... I don't know.
At first, when I watched the gameplay for the first time, I thought "why does the music sounds like it came out of a Sanic video".
Rewatching it multiple times it has kinda grown on me a little, I think the main problem I have with it is the synth they used, the melody itself isn't bad (through it isn't stellar or anything special really).
Also I swear, I don't know if I'm becoming crazy or something, I hear a tiny bit of Splash Hill in it (at 1:05 more or less).

All in all, some of my hype for the game is back, I really am curious to see what this will end up being like.
I'm glad they showed this footage, it helped with a lot of the doubts I had after the Direct footage and I have a little more hope they'll fix the problems I see now.

At least it looks a fuck-load better.

Gameplay just looks C&P'd from Generations, but with the drop-dash added in. To be honest, this makes sense. While I am pulling this outta my ass, I honestly don't think Sonic Team wanted to have Classic Sonic in this game (why would they, with Mania coming out). This feels like a pure marketing move.

3 minutes ago, Scar said:

At least it looks a fuck-load better.

Gameplay just looks C&P'd from Generations, but with the drop-dash added in. To be honest, this makes sense. While I am pulling this outta my ass, I honestly don't think Sonic Team wanted to have Classic Sonic in this game (why would they, with Mania coming out). This feels like a pure marketing move.

Hasn't this been in development since right after Lost World? When did Mania start development?

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Hasn't this been in development since right after Lost World? When did Mania start development?

IIRC, 2015

So yeah, putting aside the music and usual issues with automation, I think it looks pretty alright. I'm curious to see how it'll actually feel to play, but from the looks of it Sonic's jumping physics look better than they were in Gens. Again, I guess I won't really know until I play the game, but yeah.

6 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

2015, tho' I can't remember the source for that.

At the very start of the video you can see two mountains load in on the right. That reminds me of the Egg Dragoon fight from Generations, how some jump pads wouldn't load in time and you couldn't get to the rails. Could mean asset streaming hasn't really improved from generations. I hope the game wont suffer on slower mechanical drives or optical media. The 3D grass in the screen shots on twitter though, so nice.

Listening purely to the composition of the music and not the instrumentation used, it sounds very much like something from lost world. It's grown on me, but it's probably not good for a sonic song to take time to like. The instrumentation is not varied enough for me, it all sounds a bit samey, like Sonic 4.

So if 2015 is the correct date, that means Classic Sonic was probably locked down since before Mania was probably a topic of serious discussion.

They did this because they wanted to.

Because Generations fans wanted them to. YOU PEOPLE and your need for the good ol' days.

Because Generations went over really, really well compared to everything the previous decade yielded. I don't think it's any mystery why classic is here.

Classic Sonic in Forces' is strictly a marketing ploy and nothing more to entice those who liked him in Generations and wanted him back?

Makes a crapton of sense to me :U

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

So yeah, putting aside the music and usual issues with automation, I think it looks pretty alright. I'm curious to see how it'll actually feel to play, but from the looks of it Sonic's jumping physics look better than they were in Gens. Again, I guess I won't really know until I play the game, but yeah.

2015, tho' I can't remember the source for that.

I THINK our only source on that was someone mentioning there was data for a new downloadable Sonic game for the Xbox One at Xbox Live.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

So if 2015 is the correct date, the means Classic Sonic was probably locked down since before Mania was probably a topic of serious discussion.

Because Generations fans wanted them to. YOU PEOPLE and your need for the good ol' days.

It's less Generations fans wanting it and honestly, more that Sonic Team has a misguided mindset of ''if it sells let's reuse it in every game''

I mean I don't remember Colors fans going ''I WANT THE WISPS IN EVERY NEW GAME'' and yet look at the last couple of Sonic Games.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Because Generations went over really, really well compared to everything the previous decade yielded. I don't think it's any mystery why classic is here.

There's no mystery about it. We just naively hoped that Sonic Team would try to build on that success rather than replicate it 1:1 with nicer grass effects. 

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

So if 2015 is the correct date, that means Classic Sonic was probably locked down since before Mania was probably a topic of serious discussion.

I think people wanted a stand alone Classic Sonic game not another Modern and Classic team up. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

I think people wanted a stand alone Classic Sonic game not another Modern and Classic team up. 

Maybe we should've said that before we batted down all critique of Gens as a concept in and of itself with "BUT MUH SKY SANCTUARY."

Edit: But more seriously, I'm pretty sure there were craploads of people- hardcore fans or otherwise- longing for a sequel because, at the very least, they felt a lot of the level potential was left on the cutting room floor because of the lack of DLC.

On the plus side, Eurogamer is asking the more important questions with this game...

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Maybe we should've said that before we batted down all critique of Gens as a concept in and of itself with "BUT MUH SKY SANCTUARY."

Edit: But more seriously, I'm pretty sure there were craploads of people- hardcore fans or otherwise- longing for a sequel because, at the very least, they felt a lot of the level potential was left on the cutting room floor because of the lack of DLC.

Yeah I remember that folks kept asking for DLC. Another thing folks kept asking Sonic Team was to play as the other characters and I don't think we're gonna get that for a long time.

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sounds a little more like Salt Sanctuary right now with all this finger pointing.

But by all means continue, it's making the popcorn taste a little less bland.

I'm actually enjoying myself to death because A.) I was already so thoroughly unenthused by this game with the first trailer that it can't really make me mad or disappointed or anything (especially since we haven't seen a lot of what Forces has to offer yet in regards to gameplay or the rest of the stages and narrative), and B.) This shit can't be blamed on my kind for once.

Z6y3QL3.gif

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

Yeah I remember that folks kept asking for DLC. Another thing folks kept asking Sonic Team was to play as the other characters and I don't think we're gonna get that for a long time.

"You want to play as other characters? Cool. Here's Classic Sonic!"

"But...."

• Thumbs Up 7

I've watched the gameplay video several times, and I still can't get over the placement of some of those momentum-killing springs. I'm pretty sure the player could just jump over most of them without issue. Why do they exist, Sonic Team?

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

That's the thing tho'.

I'm down for a Generations 2,  at least a decade from the first one, with new stages, and a better plot. Heck I'd say many of us are, the novelty of recreating old stages in HD graphics was great and there is much more potential there.

Not Modern Sonic on a brand new adventure starring Classic Sonic and Green Hill taking a level slot for no good reason other than ''Generations made us mad cash'', also starring wisps because Colors was pretty good too.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I'm actually enjoying myself to death because A.) I was already so thoroughly unenthused by this game with the first trailer that it can't really make me mad or disappointed or anything (especially since we haven't seen a lot of what Forces has to offer yet in regards to gameplay or the rest of the stages and narrative), and B.) This shit can't be blamed on my kind for once.

Z6y3QL3.gif

And spice. Spice makes the popcorn taste better, too :P

• Thumbs Up 4

At LEAST is not the final bulid.

Maybe things changed?...

Maybe the final version won't have that many springs?...

• Thumbs Up 7