Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I've combined the videos into an audio file, with the official Sonic video being on the left channel, and the Sega Europe one on the right channel, for those interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8H0B5rF2we0N0szUGZaaEhXaTA/view?usp=sharing

The music does actually sync up perfectly, up until the end where a different loop is played (1:27). The sound effects do not sync up despite the gameplay being the same (that I can tell).

• Thumbs Up 5

It's pretty weird seeing places like Kotaku and Polygon being happy with what they saw while in Sonic sites it's the complete opposite.

• Thumbs Up 4

Looks fun, if incredibly derivative. I've seen this zone far too many times to care anymore. 

6 minutes ago, El Driver said:

It's pretty weird seeing places like Kotaku and Polygon being happy with what they saw while in Sonic sites it's the complete opposite.

Not that surprised, personally. Colors and Generations were well liked by a majority of the mainstream media. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, El Driver said:

Eh,  might just be a case similar to the Ace Attorney fambase where folks not as integrated into it may be enjoying what they see more. 

Albeit,  unlike Ace Attorney,  the Sonic fanbase has more plausible cause for alarm,  strictly at the moment. 

Man, if I had any hype left to lose after Classic Sonic showed up in the reveal trailer, its gone now.

This stage looked alright. The funny thing is, when I first saw the classic Sonic gameplay footage that showed that clip of Green Hill Zone, I wasn't too upset but the more I think about it, the more I begin to scratch my head at this and question Sonic Team's decision to include this level trope... again! In certain games, I can understand it but in this game especially, I feel like Green Hill's aesthetic really clashes with what they're going for here. 

To clarify, I didn't want this game to be all dark gloomy stages either but there has to be a happy medium that could fit in with the proposed tone of the game. Basically after seeing modern Sonic's level and then this one, they couldn't be much more opposite. I just don't see why this level had to be shoehorned into this game. It's already in Mania and it was just in Generations. And no, I don't think adding some sand in the background makes it that much different unless they somehow use the sand as a level gimmick somehow (because I doubt they showed us the entire level or at least every act of the level that will be in the final game) 

The music was actually pretty catchy and in a way made it more confusing why they didn't just create a new classic level since I'm watching Green Hill Zone with completely different music. I guess I'm just tired of the lack of originality in modern Sonic games. Even in a game that's supposed to deal with a dark gritty future, we get another remix of Green Hill Zone. And something tells me it won't be the only classic level to somehow reappear.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do wonder if they have anything else to reveal this week. A full reveal of modern Sonic's stage? More Mania? Here's hoping. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Not that surprised, personally. Colors and Generations were well liked by a majority of the mainstream media. 

It's nice to see some positive press for a change, even from Kotaku of all places. I suppose it just goes to show that Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations are still so popular amongst gamers that those websites have to acknowledge the fact. We'll see if this mutual feeling of goodwill holds come review time (they'll probably want some sort of kickback from Sega first) but for now it's one less front to worry about.

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I do wonder if they have anything else to reveal this week. A full reveal of modern Sonic's stage? More Mania? Here's hoping. 

I was very surprised we got this to be honest. The way SEGA has been so hush hush about both games made me think we wouldn't see any kind of level reveal for Forces until E3. Of course I'm maybe 50% hyped for this game until I see something that really catches my attention. Until then, it's all about Mania for me. But yeah I'm definitely hoping this signals some reveals for Mania and more Forces in the neat future. We need more information... it's been 9 months since these games were revealed 

• Thumbs Up 1

If the desertification is supposed to be caused by Eggman, then I can't help but feel like it's not a dramatic enough change to really sell it. Like, sure, there's sand now, but it really doesn't look like the area is any worse off for it. Everything is still lush and green. Shouldn't the vegetation be dying or something? I'm not really feeling the impact here.

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, Kellan said:

If the desertification is supposed to be caused by Eggman, then I can't help but feel like it's not a dramatic enough change to really sell it. Like, sure, there's sand now, but it really doesn't look like the area is any worse off for it. Everything is still lush and green. Shouldn't the vegetation by dying or something? I'm not really feeling the impact here.

Yeah I'm also not clear on this. I also wasn't clear on what the white badniks were supposed to be. Were they supposed to be Robotnik's troops from the future in 2D perspective? It looks less like a desert and more like the waterfalls just literally turned to sand (which makes me wonder how the fish badniks can exist if there's only sand oceans around) but why? I'm hoping there's some kind of deeper plot in this game and maybe you get to watch the classic venues slowly deteriorate in ways like this. Although something tells me it's just going to be "yolo there's sand in the background because why not?"

6 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I was very surprised we got this to be honest. The way SEGA has been so hush hush about both games made me think we wouldn't see any kind of level reveal for Forces until E3. Of course I'm maybe 50% hyped for this game until I see something that really catches my attention. Until then, it's all about Mania for me. But yeah I'm definitely hoping this signals some reveals for Mania and more Forces in the neat future. We need more information... it's been 9 months since these games were revealed 

Right. It feels very odd. This was very out of nowhere, I thought this would have at least been teased by Aaron or Segrio at least a couple days in advance, but no. I thought about the possibility of news because Capcom is doing that exact thing with Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite by doing a rollout of news throughout this week. 

4 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Right. It feels very odd. This was very out of nowhere, I thought this would have at least been teased by Aaron or Segrio at least a couple days in advance, but no. I thought about the possibility of news because Capcom is doing that exact thing with Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite by doing a rollout of news throughout this week. 

Well if Capcom and SEGA want to have a competition to see who can put out more news about their respective games, I'm all ears (especially since I'm looking forward to the new MvC too) 

I don’t feel like repeating much of what else people have been saying, so I’ll just talk about something I noticed on my own.

Where are the tiny animals that should pop out of the badniks? Seriously… modern Sonic games are so random about this subject. Sometimes they do it and other times they don’t. Very inconsistent.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, El Driver said:

I mean, Sonic 4 had some positive buzz before the actual game got out. The expectations from non-fans/more casual fans is just gonna be different. 

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don’t feel like repeating much of what else people have been saying, so I’ll just talk about something I noticed on my own.

Where are the tiny animals that should pop out of the badniks? Seriously… modern Sonic games are so random about this subject. Sometimes they do it and other times they don’t. Very inconsistent.

...Since it seems the theme is ruining life in Green Hill...

...Why not have seeds pop out of enemies and grow ala Sonic CD to show Sonic restoring Green Hill Zone...?

But then as was mentioned, why isn't the zone literally dying if the water has been stripped away...?

Seriously, that's NOT too dark for this franchise, Sonic CD did it.

I'd adore a decaying Green Hill with leaves falling, plants rotting...

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Cakito said:

also, the description tell us something about the plot

Screenshot_1.png

HA! I called it way back when we first got a tease of classic sonic game play. 

It's strange. You'd think GHZ would look far more messed up, considering the Modern Sonic stage is undergoing the apocalypse.

I wonder if there's some reason for that. Maybe Classic Sonic is played as first and it's a ways before Modern gets to his stage?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's probably because of time travel, yet again. Whatever is going on hasn't affected Sonic's past in the way it's affected his present or future.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Joellui said:

HA! I called it way back when we first got a tease of classic sonic game play. 

If it's desertification...

Why is everything so green and lush...?

...Okay SEGA, it's your thing. Do what you do, whatever it is.

• Thumbs Up 1