Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

For real though, I heard that they're going to be showing videos tomorrow, so I guess they could finally show us a full playthrough of Modern Sonic's level.

Is this inside information?

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Sonic without the mechanical depth and style of the classics isn't much to me to be honest. Maybe if the writing was good I could say I'm here for the characters, but that doesn't cut it. more automation and barely any meaningful level design has lost it's charm for me too after years and years. There's less and less for me to hold onto as time goes on. This is partially my fault for my standards for games getting higher in the past few years, but I can't get excited about another boost game with another half baked classic component strapped on. I need something more interesting. Something that has appeal beyond surface level "Hey remember when you liked Sonic?" pandering. 

I'm too old for this shit basically. Hope you guys have fun though.

Man, this hits a bit close to home. 

Hopefully if there's news tomorrow it's something substantial, because the discussion around this game is really stagnating. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Or better yet it could be a reveal of the esrb of the game!!!!!!!!!!! Lord wow what a day it be lol

Sarcasm with butter

Yeah, I hope something exciting is shown or announced. The last thing any of us want is to be bummed out about a new Sonic game, especially after the long wait. 

Considering they let a bit of Classic Sonic gameplay out for the Nintendo Direct, I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a more proper reveal of that lined up.

• Thumbs Up 8

Something that the SA3 folks have pointed out does ring true is the fact that they DO need to make more of an attempt at showing there's more to Forces in regards to the action and excitement beyond the Modern Sonic city stage. It's going to be pretty bad if the grand scheme of the game revolves fairly generic locations that kind of just exist in the game.

They made a point of many of Colors stages feeling that way, I can sympathize with that.

I'd love to see a general overview of the game, show off things the way BotW did once they finally started showing off stuff. If the game is going for a theatrical sense, they need to make theatrical trailers full of what's going on instead of what has been done so far.

Sonic Forces really isn't in a place where trickling information will do it any favors. It's actually the total opposite by being hesitant/slow with pushing the title to the best of their ability. Naturally they needn't reveal the entire game in trailers but we definitely need something much, much more than thus far, and waiting until E3 isn't very likely to help them.

I just... Feel it won't... Not sure why.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, BlueParadox said:

going to be showing videos tomorrow, so I guess they could finally show us a full playthrough of Modern Sonic's level.

I really hope they do show the full modern level. I think with Generations we saw the full modern Green Hill not long after the initial gameplay reveal, so I'd say we're pretty much at that point now.

I'd doubt that we'll see anything tomorrow, but stranger things have happened... ?

Considering that people heard Tails, Knuckles, Amy, the Chaotix and Silver in the same level, is going to be a very interesting of they show more of it.

Unless they mute the voices and hide the HUD.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

I really hope they show something new. All this negativity lately is something I really don't want to see.

Boy have I got bad news for you!

• Thumbs Up 9

https://sonicjpnews.tumblr.com/post/159954167641/20170425-tomoya-ohtanis-sound-column

This main theme will be used in an important scene in the game. I guess it will be used in a different way than how a main theme is usually used, but it is no doubt a very exciting scene. The last piano phrase will also be used in a very important part of the game, and it is related to the story and meaning of the lyrics. Oops, I almost talked too much about it *lol*

The theme will be used in a scene. Not multiple times

Probably in a action scene before the final boss.

It seems like even SOA wasn’t expecting this much view counts for just a music clip, and now there are opinions for revealing more sounds pre-release if people are reacting this much to the music. I am also talking with them and giving suggestions for which kind of music we should reveal, if this idea is becoming real. I think that the fun of a game starts already at the point where its information comes out to the world, so I wish to fuel it with music until game release.

Also, more music pre- release?

I wonder if the game will have multiple vocal songs...

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

https://sonicjpnews.tumblr.com/post/159954167641/20170425-tomoya-ohtanis-sound-column

The theme will be used in a scene. Not multiple times

Probably in a action scene before the final boss.

Also, more music pre- release?

I wonder if the game will have multiple vocal songs...

Hmmm so before the final boss instead of being the final boss theme itself, I could dig it!

Spoiler

So something like this...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LastEpisodeThemeReprise

Spoiler

We going full on anime hopefully  :wub:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

New info tomorrow?

Makes me wonder whether they will show more of the Modern stage.

Given the general response to Green Hill or whatever it is my bet is they will show it off more to emphasize its "uniqueness" to calm the masses.

I am hoping this info we get tomorrow will calm us down, but why do I have the odd feeling that it is going to get worse for some, or many if we are that unlucky? I just can't help but feel that maybe the case here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering its impossible to please everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if what is shown tomorrow ends up disappointing people further. I'm hoping they'll elaborate more on the footage we saw in the Nintendo Direct.

Just now, CrystalStorm51 said:

I am hoping this info we get tomorrow will calm us down, but why do I have the odd feeling that it is going to get worse for some, or many if we are that unlucky? I just can't help but feel that maybe the case here.

I wouldn't really be surprised if SEGA has been fairly rattled by the reception of Forces and especially its twist on Green Hill up to this point. With this put into consideration it's hard to say where the advertising/marketing of the title will go now since the nostalgia factor is likely hitting them in a vastly different way than they expected. To say it potentially blind-sided them into a corner might not be too off the mark.

2 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Considering its impossible to please everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if what is shown tomorrow ends up disappointing people further. I'm hoping they'll elaborate more on the footage we saw in the Nintendo Direct.

I wouldn't be surprised, either. I still hope we see more than what was shown at the Direct.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I wouldn't really be surprised if SEGA has been fairly rattled by the reception of Forces and especially its twist on Green Hill up to this point. With this put into consideration it's hard to say where the advertising/marketing of the title will go now since the nostalgia factor is likely hitting them in a vastly different way than they expected. To say it potentially blind-sided them into a corner might not be too off the mark.

That would make sense, especially with the nostalgia factor thing and the Green Hill twist thing. I wouldn't be so surprised.

I've said it before but after Forces and Mania it might be for the best if the Sonic franchise vanishes for a few years.

I'm talking no games, no shows, nothing. maybe some merch, but nothing beyond that.

Then in five or ten years, bring him back and start all over again with Sonic.

Completely abandon every single thing from the franchise from 1991 to 2017 and just do a total restart on everything.

No characters returning save Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman, no continuities to concern over, no reusing of old tropes.

An entirely fresh start, entirely fresh places, entirely new cast.

Kill the Sonic franchise for a while, then bring it back when the time is right and tell people "Everything is gone. We're not doing any of that anymore. This is the game play of the Sonic franchise. These are the characters. This is the tone, this is the demographic." and go from there. Everything going in one single, simple direction, a cohesive direction.

No more "Where are these characters?" because they will be gone. No more "Where are these places?" because they will be gone.

An utter re-start for the Sonic franchise, totally new world.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I've said it before but after Forces and Mania it might be for the best if the Sonic franchise vanishes for a few years.

I'm talking no games, no shows, nothing. maybe some merch, but nothing beyond that.

Then in five or ten years, bring him back and start all over again with Sonic.

Completely abandon every single thing from the franchise from 1991 to 2017 and just do a total restart on everything.

No characters returning save Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman, no continuities to concern over, no reusing of old tropes.

An entirely fresh start, entirely fresh places, entirely new cast.

Kill the Sonic franchise for a while, then bring it back when the time is right and tell people "Everything is gone. We're not doing any of that anymore. This is the game play of the Sonic franchise. These are the characters. This is the tone, this is the demographic." and go from there. Everything going in one single, simple direction, a cohesive direction.

No more "Where are these characters?" because they will be gone. No more "Where are these places?" because they will be gone.

An utter re-start for the Sonic franchise, totally new world.

I dislike this idea quite a bit. Sonic already has over 25 years of material to work with, throwing it all away in the garbage is just like Sega shooting themselves in the foot. How many times have they "rebooted" the series?

They also can't abandon Shadow the Hedgehog, the second most popular Sonic character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

I dislike this idea quite a bit. Sonic already has over 25 years of material to work with, throwing it all away in the garbage is just like Sega shooting themselves in the foot. How many times have they "rebooted" the series?

They also can't abandon Shadow the Hedgehog, the second most popular Sonic character.

That's perfectly fine.

They need to stop using this material, badly. It's the same tropes with a different coat of paint in every game basically. One game is similar to another and such. It's a stifling feeling when each game retains the "been there, done that" sensation as you play. The franchise has reached a point where it doesn't build on anything anymore, but rather just goes back and remodels time and again. There's no going up, just going back.

He's the first character that needs a total eradication. He was an icon of his time, a character that fit the tone and direction of the franchise during his prime. The franchise no longer fits a character like Shadow, it has moved on. Forces is a title that might suit him perhaps, but beyond that Shadow has no place anymore. He certainly doesn't seem fitting in games like Colors or Lost World and it was hard to feel he was fitting in Generations, as a whole he seems out of place as a dark/edgy Batman type of icon in a franchise that just doesn't do that anymore.

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

Agreed. You can't just throw away what you have had for 25 years. Not to mention, there are still ways to use what they have now that they could possibly look into and some things and characters still have potential that could be utilized in some way. There would be lots of wasted unused potential and just a lot of ideas that can be good just thrown out and wasted if they decided to go along with that. Plus, the things that may not work now can still be improved upon. Improving upon something is better than just throwing it away in favor of something entirely new.

23 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Agreed. You can't just throw away what you have had for 25 years.

Well, I mean...you can. It's a risky move, but you can.

24 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Improving upon something is better than just throwing it away in favor of something entirely new.

Sometimes something's just too old and broken down for it to be worth fixing. Better to replace it with the new model, that doesn't have a bunch of rusty parts and gunk in the joints.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Well, I mean...you can. It's a risky move, but you can.

Sometimes something's just too old and broken down for it to be worth fixing. Better to replace it with the new model, that doesn't have a bunch of rusty parts and gunk in the joints.

That still doesn't mean it is a good idea. Plus, I don't think Sonic is exactly in that kind of situation that it needs a new model. Maybe some things do need change, but to scrap everything entirely? That would be a waste of things, and waste is not really a good thing. A full restart isn't so necessary.

I'd be fine with the idea of Sega taking a break from Sonic for a few years only if they have something in place of his absence. I've mentioned this in a post a few months back that Sega should capitalize on the hype behind Sonic Mania and try and reestablish some of their older franchises that haven't seen releases in years.

Rebooting Sonic? That sounds familiar...

Spoiler

Don't you mean Sonic Boom?

I know this isn't exactly what was suggested  but whenever I hear someone suggest a full blown reinvention for Sonic, this is what I think of. And its a terrible idea. Sonic's already having enough of an identity crisis as it is, there doesn't need to be yet another completely different Sonic running (or in that video's case walking at a brisk pace because he's too terrified to run or some nonsense).

• Thumbs Up 2