Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

They need to get Fumie Kumatani back on BGMs, I swear to Almighty GOD.

Kumatani would be great. Looking at her song credits on Sega Retro, something really surprises me. She didn't compose the Planet Wisp Area Map.

I thought for sure that was her.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Does she even still do music. I can't find her credited in anything since Colors

She probably left or something.

Because Sega.

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

She probably left or something.

Because sega.

I was just shocked nobody picked her up. She's great at this.

I did like what I saw in that new footage, though I must admit, the jumping physics and badnik bouncing looked rather stiff. Well, this is an early build, I see, so hopefully, they will have that fixed at some time. Also, as for level design, I'd say this is just the first level of the game, and that future levels should be better than what we saw in that footage. Good thing there were only three dash pads there from what I could see.

I'm pretty sure music is on the tail of things that's done in a major production. It makes sense if you want to match it with the content.

The soundtrack itself feels really flat and boring to me though. All 3 of the tracks we've heard so far have been weak. Not sure if its because some of it needs more time.

I think it's a matter of re-using composers who are just getting kind of dry/stale basically. People love Crush40 for instance but the guys are getting on in years and their skill isn't really improving. Now and then I'll listen to something from them but their new stuff all sounds like something from ten years ago.

Mr. Senoue did this trailer music and, yeah... Doesn't sound too stepped up from Sonic 4...

I'd like some new folks to take the charge of composing for the franchise. Heck, look what TeeLopes has done. Sticking with EVERYTHING being traditional in EVERY aspect of the game from design, to game play, to even those composing it, no matter how you look at the situation it's all literally "been there done that" as I've said.

Personally, all the folks I mentioned are alright. But as far as what they do for the franchise, I'd like more TeeLopes type people brought in, more Whiteheads.

Umm Senoue did the music? Where did you get this from? Cause I'm pretty sure it's Ohtani. Sounds like something generic out of Runners but just "retro."

Yeah, I think someone at SEGA (Iizuka?) said Senoue wasn't involved with the soundtrack.

Edit: 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm... The level itself looked better than from the Direct, and while it does look as though there are a few too many scripted events going on, I'm still feeling confident there's more to the gameplay.

The music though... Ehhhh... It was catchy but not very fitting is all I can really say.

Also, is that really a drop dash? Didn't he just landed on a booster?

I really hope they don't add it for this game. That's the only I didn't like about Mania when I played the demo last year.

15 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

BWAHAHAHAHA, that music! Okay, sorry, I had to make this.

Please tell me this is deliberately supposed to be funny. You can't possibly cause so much tonal collapse by accident.

Electric Boogaloo Zone isn't threatening enough to warrant dramatic music though. Even in levels where the terrain gets more ominous, like post-napalm Angel Island Zone, we don't get anything but chipper music.

We are all going to laugh about this when we find out that Classic Sonic in Forces was just advertisement for Sonic Mania. They purposefully made it look bad so that when people look at Mania say "Oh look at that, it gets it right".

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

We are all going to laugh about this when we find out that Classic Sonic in Forces was just advertisement for Sonic Mania. They purposefully made it look bad so that when people look at Mania say "Oh look at that, it gets it right".

Top 10 Anime Plot Twists

• Thumbs Up 7

18 minutes ago, El Driver said:

Also, is that really a drop dash? Didn't he just landed on a booster?

I really hope they don't add it for this game. That's the only thing I didn't like about Mania when I played the demo last year.

There was no speed bo-...dash pad in that clip, so it may well very be a drop dash.

And it's not even an intrusive mechanic, so unless it activates differently...no worries.

This game is literally why people should not and need to stop complaining about tone.

It screams paranoia on the companies side of doing anything worthwhile with a more serious direction. Green Hill is practically done to say "It's not all dark! It's not too edgy! See? Look! Colorful stages! Here's Green Hill! And that music!"

The title has so many conflicting things going on you can't even grasp what it's trying to go for properly. If the majority of the game is world destruction with Green Hill places randomly popping up out of nowhere, that's bad. If the majority of the game is about the fun and the color with world destruction randomly popping up, that's also bad.

It's trying way too hard not to be one thing over the other and it just doesn't feel right/natural at the end of it all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is there any way to report feedback directly? To either the PR guys (Aaron or Sergio) or by mailing Sonic Team? I think that maybe sending detailed descriptions of our issues with the games could help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team doesn't care like that (not that we could get ourselves together to outline even one demand that's mostly agreed upon). Don't even bother.

Edited by Nepenthe

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Sonic Team doesn't care like that. Don't even bother.

Er... Well...

I mean... It's nice to think they do...

I've talked a lot of crap in the past about divisions and such but I'd still like to think some shred of care remains...

...Somewhere...

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Is there any way to report feedback directly? To either the PR guys (Aaron or Sergio) or by mailing Sonic Team? I think that maybe sending detailed descriptions of our issues with the games could help. 

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Sonic Team doesn't care like that (not that we could get ourselves together to outline even one demand that's mostly agreed upon). Don't even bother.

There is absolutely no time at all between now and the release to read, analyse, plan and implement changes without a substantial delay to the game and potential redesigns.

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Er... Well...

I mean... It's nice to think they do...

I've talked a lot of crap in the past about divisions and such but I'd still like to think some shred of care remains...

...Somewhere...

There's no indication that Sonic Team either has the desire to listen to direct fan feedback (again, probably because direct fan feedback so far has been a waste of time since we can't even agree on a physics system), or has the actual technical and financial capability of implementing any of it even if they did care. People keep telling others not to even mention the idea of a BotW style Sonic game wherein Sonic Team essentially reinvents the franchise's basics for modern gaming because it's not going to happen under the current development environment.

Your best bet is to scream loud enough to try and wrench them back into the general area of the things you want.

Or, as we were told by Mania heads beforehand, you can also go through the effort of making a 3D fan game or something, you know "put in effort." But lol at trying to pull that off within the fandom since, well, no one's done it yet, and lol at doing their damn job for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanted to see how the level felt and sounded like with the Green Hill song and surprise it's just like Green Hill lol

I don't think I've seen this pointed out yet, but the signpost at the end had Classic Eggman on it. I guess that means that either this level takes place in the past, or that Classic Eggman is coming to the present again.

Or it doesn't mean anything. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, El Driver said:

I wanted to see how the level felt and sounded like with the Green Hill song and surprise it's just like Green Hill lol

1:20

I'll be the first to point out the animations for the trees are unfinished too. The leaves look like they clip or something, like a looping gif. Noticed this on other trees too.

• Thumbs Up 5