Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I still think Adventure era Eggman is the optimal Eggman. Or even Unleashed Eggman. A good mix of threatening but humorous enough. You gotta remember that as threatening as Eggman is, he's literally a manchild and he dreams of having an Eggman themed amusement park that he'll call "Eggmanland". And he's willing to blow up the whole planet if need be to get it. That's what the humor and the threat of Eggman is, his dream seems silly but he'll do anything to get it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think this whole "EGGMAN SHOULD BE A PSYCHOPATH" thing could be avoided if Sonic had more of a rogue's gallery or somethin. I genuinely don't like the idea of Eggman being some kind of mass killer and it should be obvious why, but a more serious villain taking the stage for a game I wouldn't mind, so long as they had as much charm as Eggman does.

The mass killing thing is dumb though. It's Sonic. Calm down.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Maxtiis said:

I wouldn't mind seeing this referenced somewhere:

I'll have you know good sir that Bounce Pads should only ever be referenced in the Sonic Boom continuity. I shall not see such a sacred word like Bounce Pad be outside of its sacred aesthetical world that is Boom in a main series Sonic game. If Modern Sonic ever mentions Bounce Pad in Forces, all shall feel my wrath. No one will be spared, bad times will be made.

Is what I like to dramatize. Reality, I'll just be giddy like a 5 year old that Bounce Pad is mentioned at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

You shouldn't CONSTANTLY feel bad for/pity Eggman.

You're supposed to want to blow his arse up for what he's done, not beat him down like a mere fat bully and pity him over the smackdown.

Maybe empathise was the wrong word, but I want to like Eggman as a character, and I wouldn't be able to do that if we did an "eggman's gone off the rails from losing too much" which frankly would go against his steadfast character trait of never giving up/not knowing when to quit.  Because being super destructive for destruction's sake is against his outlook and thus would be "giving up" or "quitting" on his usual beliefs.

I definitely love the idea of an Eggman who has gone too far... but I want it to be from an accident or temporary lapse of judgement rather than him completely losing his marbles and becoming unnecessarily sadistic etc.

One of my fave Eggman moments was in Episode 26 of Sonic X, where he accidentally creates a mech so powerful it's literally killing Sonic and he can't regain control of it.  That was a really great moment that didn't undermine Eggman's accomplishments but made him 100 times more likeable as a villian.  He doesn't want anyone DEAD, he wants them DEFEATED and to be admired for his accomplishments.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Soni said:

I'll have you know good sir that Bounce Pads should only ever be referenced in the Sonic Boom continuity. I shall not see such a sacred word like Bounce Pad be outside of its sacred aesthetical world that is Boom in a main series Sonic game. If Modern Sonic ever mentions Bounce Pad in Forces, all shall feel my wrath. No one will be spared, bad times will be made.

Is what I like to dramatize. Reality, I'll just be giddy like a 5 year old that Bounce Pad is mentioned at all.

Maybe Bounce Pad is the true villain responsible for this senseless destruction.

• Thumbs Up 6

A man that floods a city killing hundreds if not thousands.  Well he set off the events . Or blowing up half the moon.  Or blowing up a occupied island. Indeed I can understand his plight

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Eggman can be as menacing as he wants, but it won't mean anything if the way the other characters act doesn't match up. Personality wise he's been fine the last few games, it's just the way that Sonic and others interact with him that's so weak.

It'd also help to actually see him pilot boss mechs again, and/or just be more proactive in general.

Yeah. You know I don't really have a problem with Eggman in Colors and Lost World. He's fine. He's the same as he was in Unleashed. It's just that Sonic and Tails themselves feel so uninteresed in what's going on. They have some of the worst comeback lines that I have ever listened to.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

A man that floods a city killing hundreds if not thousands.  Well he set off the events . Or blowing up half the moon.  Or blowing up a occupied island. Indeed I can understand his plight

Eggman has never killed anyone, Sonic isn't that kind of series.  Everyone was safely evacuated from both Station Square and Prison Island in Sonic X and I'm sure any official Sonic representative privy to the ethos of the series would tell you the same is true for the games.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Eggman didn't flood the city...Chaos the Water god demon did the flooding.

Just now, Celestia said:

Eggman can be as menacing as he wants, but it won't mean anything if the way the other characters act doesn't match up. Personality wise he's been fine the last few games, it's just the way that Sonic and others interact with him that's so weak.

It's also help to actually see him pilot boss mechs again.

To me he really, REALLY hasn't, his worst characterization in Generations for the sake of making his Classic self look good.

He's too immature, too childish. He's not a threat when all he can do is gabble with Sonic, do random "ho ho ho ho!!" every other scene...

Somewhere between Sonic Satam and the two Adventure title is the must for Eggman's character to me. ESPECIALLY after the past 10 years of hyucking and playground tomfoolery between him and Sonic, it's old and doesn't make him a villain, just an angry fat kid at heart

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think this whole "EGGMAN SHOULD BE A PSYCHOPATH" thing could be avoided if Sonic had more of a rogue's gallery or somethin. I genuinely don't like the idea of Eggman being some kind of mass killer and it should be obvious why, but a more serious villain taking the stage for a game I wouldn't mind, so long as they had as much charm as Eggman does.

Nooooooooooo no no NO, we need an end to that, not a continuation. It's a failure on the companies part to make Eggman worthwhile.

Not any more monsters of the week, if they made Eggman the villain he SHOULD and COULD be we wouldn't need them, if he was a legitimate threat and intimidating on his own, if he was scary/creepy on his own, that would be good enough.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

A man that floods a city killing hundreds if not thousamds. Or blowing up half the moon.  Or blowing up a occupied island. Indeed I can understand his plight

Yeah people tend to go one extreme or another with Eggman often. They tend to either want the Eggman from SatAM/Pre-reboot Archie or the more laidback and reasonable one from Sonic X. Eggman is no joker type psycho or dictator, but he's not a good guy and he ceirtainly doesn't care that much about what bad things he does or how much destruction he causes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, JezMM said:

Eggman has never killed anyone, Sonic isn't that kind of series.  Everyone was safely evacuated from both Station Square and Prison Island in Sonic X and I'm sure any official Sonic representative privy to the ethos of the series would tell you the same is true for the games.

You know dark well they did not get off that island. Sonic barley made it off the island and was still fighting things on the island. Even more so no one knew about the bomb besides sonic by himself and shadows team. Not arguing sonic is not that kind of series but they have plenty of off screen deaths that they just say oh we got them off the island. Rated E for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Nooooooooooo no no NO, we need an end to that, not a continuation. It's a failure on the companies part to make Eggman worthwhile.

Not any more monsters of the week, if they made Eggman the villain he SHOULD and COULD be we wouldn't need them, if he was a legitimate threat and intimidating on his own, if he was scary/creepy on his own, that would be good enough.

Eggman has been charming to many for years without your twisted interpretation. That's probably a sign that your way isn't the way he "should" be. You're just projecting your desires for desires for a more mature experience onto a character that was never that. 

• Thumbs Up 5

If nothing else I feel Sonic's characterisation around Eggman is what suggests to me, canonically, that Eggman doesn't have a kill count.  Sonic was there at Prison Island, he's friends with Rouge who was also privy to the situation, it would be inconsistent to Sonic's character for him to be so chummy with an actual murderer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Josh said:

Eggman has been charming to many for years without your twisted interpretation. That's probably a sign that your way isn't the way he "should" be. You're just projecting your desires for desires for a more mature experience onto a character that was never that. 

Whatever you've been on that made you forget the past, give me some so Rise of Lyric and 06 never happened.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I've said this before but when you get down to it Eggman is kinda crazy with what he does such as enslaving poor defenseless animals to power his robots. His plan in SA1 was to use chaos to destroy station square and when that backfired he attempted to nuke the city. Blew up half the moon in SA2. Split the planet into pieces in unleashed. Capture 5 planets and enslave an alien race to turn them into nega wisp. All just to build of an amusement park. Eggman is psychotic.

@JezMM I find it hard to believe that there aren't people who lost their lives during one of Eggman's plans, how about when he split the world into pieces in Unleashed? I find it hard to believe that people along the fracture lines didn't get devastated, and from a realistic standpoint the lunar activity shift due to damaging the moon in SA2 didn't devastate part of the planet because of irregular ocean activity. I mean yeah it's overthinking but Eggman probably has killed people just SEGA would never admit or show something like that in a franchise primarily aimed at Children.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the same as in Superheroe movies or cartoons. Entire cities get destroyed and it's like "Don't worry, no one died!" it's like yeah we know people died but you can't tell that to the audience, or else they'll call it unrealistic that the hero doesn't feel some sort of guilt or there's no major repercussions. Marvel even had to backpeddal on that with Civil War.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Soni said:

I like the Eggman where he's normally just a big goofball egomaniac but when he wants to get serious, he'll d whatever he can to meet his goals.

So at the end, why not both?

There's a very obvious compromise that just can't be met. They just haven't wanted to take Eggman anywhere near that serious line.

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

I would like to see more villains/antagonists stick around in the series, but considering all the one shot villains the series has had never stopped people wanting grimdark serious Eggman I doubt some recurring ones would change that.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

You know dark well they did not get off that island. Sonic barley made it off the island and was still fighting things on the island. Even more so no one knew about the bomb besides sonic by himself and shadows team. Not arguing sonic is not that kind of series but they have plenty of off screen deaths that they just say oh we got them off the island. Rated E for everyone.

Sonic ran off into the jungle on his own and didn't know there were bombs set until just minutes before they went off. GUN would have orderly evacuation plans in case of something like this, and it wouldn't be hard to believe that Rouge tipped them off on top of that.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I've said this before but when you get down to it Eggman is kinda crazy with what he does such as enslaving poor defenseless animals to power his robots. His plan in SA1 was to use chaos to destroy station square and when that backfired he attempted to nuke the city. Blew up half the moon in SA2. Split the planet into pieces in unleashed. Capture 5 planets and enslave an alien race to turn them into nega wisp. All just to build of an amusement park. Eggman is psychotic.

And when it failed to go off, he PURPOSELY raced toward it to set it off himself.

..With countless people clearly in radius...

And the possibility it could malfunction and go off with him right next to it...

Yeah, I'm not swinging at the air with my points here.

(Edit)

(Assuming you're referring to the Tails story)