Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Jango said:

C'mon guys, we always do this. This is a WIP, a lot of water will run untill the game's out.

Remember when SEGA revealed Modern Green Hill gameplay for the first time and mostly everybody started saying "oh no, it's just a narrow corridor with fancy graphics around it, the whole game's gonna be like that! 4/10".

And then BAM:

sonic-generations-1.png

In our faces.

Relax. I'm sure as hell Sonic's animations will improve.

Bam, a screenshot of a narrow, linear path.

Yeah sorry, Generations' level design did not impress me at all. It was just rehashed Unleashed Day, just as this game is rehashed Gens Modern.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I've seen this tossed around as cautions before, may want to avoid one word responses.

Can be a tad touchy on that, just a heads up.

Oh I'm new here. Thanks for the heads up.

4 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

LOVE the Logo, but has Sonic games ever really not had a good designed logo?

The logo for Sonic The Hedgehog is probably the blandest the series ever had...

Sonic Forces looks really pretty but not to the Unleashed point of "We're pushing the hardware so hard we need two seperate versions" pretty. I've heard people say it could be scaled down for the Switch, but I guess we'll see what they do. Making another version seems like a waste of resources if they can help it.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

Oh I'm new here. Thanks for the heads up.

Not a prob. I think I was given a warning about that myself once or twice. You live and learn around here.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Bam, a screenshot of a narrow, linear path.

Yeah sorry, Generations' level design did not impress me at all. It was just rehashed Unleashed Day, just as this game is rehashed Gens Modern.

Going by what many/most are saying in this thread, I'm guessing maybe the next game should be something along Sonic Utopia perhaps?

I kinda dig it... It's like that Sonic World thing but way more... Way, just way. It's way everything, to me at least.

Sonic-Utopia-download.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Doubt it. Docked it should be 60fps, with maybe only slight differences in lighting. Other than that, it should essentially be the same version.

At best the Nintendo Switch is a remodeled Nvidia Sheild without the Steam support. The Switch is significently below the capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One; while also being vastly behind the technology inhigh-end gaming PCs, PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio. It's early days yet but it's a safe bet to make that the Switch version of Sonic Forces will be the one with the most graphical compromises in order to sustain a playable preformance. When planning to buy Sonic Forces it's wise to consider the game on any platform but the Switch.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

At best the Nintendo Switch is a remodeled Nvidia Sheild without the Steam support. The Switch is significently below the capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One; while also being vastly behind the technology inhigh-end gaming PCs, PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio. It's early days yet but it's a safe bet to make that the Switch version of Sonic Forces will be the one with the most graphical compromises in order to sustain a playable preformance. When planning to buy Sonic Forces it's wise to consider the game on any platform but the Switch.

Gonna be honest here...

If the game looks like it'd run fine on the PS3 and 360...

The Switch has no problems...

Don't be hatin'. lol

Just now, Diogenes said:

Utopia's a little too sprawling for a full game but there's plenty of room between it and "literally a hallway" boost style.

The root of it's really in the mechanics, not just the level design, though.

Are we both agreeing on something being good/better here?

Even if in the smallest degree?

Dio, we're breaking the law here.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Gonna be honest here...

If the game looks like it's rub fine on the PS3 and 360...

The Switch has no problems...

Don't be hatin'. lol

I'm simply offering friendly advice. Time and again I've seen Sonic fans being disappointed when they back Nintendo's hardware over other possible choices. The gnashing of teeth that inevitably follows the revelation that yet another Sonic game has been downgraded to work on a Nintendo platform causes no end of pointless drama.

Like I said earlier, the Switch is very easy to port to. I suggest watching Spawn Wave's videos on the Switch since he knows about this stuff more than me, but basically if you're going on a scale, the Switch is a lot closer to the PS4 and XBONE, not as powerful but pretty close. Many games on it so far are able to run 1080p 60fps so I don't see exactly why Sonic Forces can't provide the same quality. The only time I think graphical scaling will happen is when it's undocked.

I think Sonic was beautifully animated in Unleashed, when you stop to appreciate it at least, which is easier during the hub-worlds navigation. We see he breathing, looking at the skies, smiling and stretching, all animations are smooth and natural. Granted you can't expect to notice more frames of animation when he's boosting all over the place at high speed, but I admit that right now he looks indeed stiffer than Unleashed. I don't know what could be done to make he feels more natural and "bouncy" when running, jumping and shit, maybe this:

tumblr_ojubmsUeCO1s5hn6jo1_500.gif

His arms shake a little bit.

I want to see him better animated when I can actually see Sonic properly, and that is during cinematics.

giphy.gif

More of these please.

During gameplay too, of course, I agree with you guys, and although he's always going super duper fast, it would be nice to see Sonic making different facial expressions depending on the situation. Needs an example?

5f531ba0472cbdef18da42370e2d8533.gif

Crash of course!

Shit like that would be nice in Sonic.

23280SG_City+Escape_act2_27.jpg

HUGE TRUCK AFTER ME!

"-eh (ツ)".

It was nice when Sonic taunted the huge piranha in Green Hill modern, so it can be done.

Also guys, the Seaside Hill screenshot was just to show which level I was referring to, do you think I'm dense? I know that part isn't ideal but it was the first image Google gave me when I've searched 'Sonic Generations Seaside Hill'.

lmao you guys :V

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Kintor said:

I'm simply offering friendly advice. Time and again I've seen Sonic fans being disappointed when they back Nintendo's hardware over other possible choices. The gnashing of teeth that inevitably follows the revelation that yet another Sonic game has been downgraded to work on a Nintendo platform causes no end of pointless drama.

Not always, the Advance and Rush games for instance on handhelds, Generations was an okay handheld...

Fire and Ice was an okay handheld...

Colors was a good console game, (TERRIBLE PLOT THOUGH)

I'd say it's... 60-40, maybe 65-35 in terms of good on Nintendo and bad.

I fully support the Switch but even I'm saying a game like this, with so much graphical jargon going on in the background of the levels, please get the game for a stable, powerful platform like Steam or a PS4/XONE just to be on the safe side if you can. I'll be picking it up on PS4 if I end up breaking and buying it after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Not always, the Advance and Rush games for instance on handhelds, Generations was an okay handheld...

Fire and Ice was an okay handheld...

Colors was a good console game, (TERRIBLE PLOT THOUGH)

I'd say it's... 60-40, maybe 65-35 in terms of good on Nintendo and bad.

Well, I'm specifically talking about the same versions of Sonic games across mutiple platforms. Like most notably, how Sonic Unleashed on the Wii is a totally different (and graphically inferior) game compared to the main version of Sonic Unleashed. To that end, even the 3DS version of Sonic Generation is another example of this downgrade, being an entirely 2D game with different assests compared to the main version. Heck, a 3DS would melt into a pile of plastic slag if it tried to run the main of version of Sonic Generations.

1 minute ago, Lady Soniko said:

I fully support the Switch but even I'm saying a game like this, with so much graphical jargon going on in the background of the levels, please get the game for a stable, powerful platform like Steam or a PS4/XONE just to be on the safe side if you can. I'll be picking it up on PS4 if I end up breaking and buying it after all.

Sonic Forces will be a great way to compare consoles when you think about it.

Really have a "blast" showing off that "processing" power, give it a good "run" for its money, see which console has the best "boost" in performance, which can really make the game arrive with the biggest "boom"...

I'll shut up.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

I'm probably gonna get it on both XBONE and Switch. I don't have a PS4 and my computer sucks. I like portability so I'll have the Switch version and if it does end up being really graphically inferior, I'll get the XBONE version of it for the more optimal experience,

Well, I'm specifically talking about the same versions of Sonic games across mutiple platforms. Like most notably, how Sonic Unleashed on the Wii is a totally different (and graphically inferior) game compared to the main version of Sonic Unleashed. To that end, even the 3DS version of Sonic Generation is another example of this downgrade, being an entirely 2D game with different assests compared to the main version. Heck, a 3DS would melt into a pile of plastic slag if it tried to run the main of version of Sonic Generations.

The graphical difference between Wii and Xbox 360/PS3 is much greater than Switch and XBONE/PS4 (it's a lot closer now). So it doesn't really seem like a fair comparison, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say the third playable style will be some sort of RTS or otherwise strategy game were you control the "Forces". That, or Future Sonic.

3 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say the third playable style will be some sort of RTS or otherwise strategy game were you control the "Forces". That, or Future Sonic.

How about no? An RTS in a Sonic game makes as much sense as putting fishing in a Sonic game except it lacks the charm of being ridiculously unfitting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. I'm sure no one would like it but hey, it's SEGA, we HAVE to make at least one weird choice to fill the game with more content even if no one really wants it.

2 minutes ago, Soni said:

How about no? An RTS in a Sonic game makes as much sense as putting fishing in a Sonic game except it lacks the charm of being ridiculously unfitting.

Sega_ftp_sa1_ec_big.jpeg

??

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

The graphical difference between Wii and Xbox 360/PS3 is much greater than Switch and XBONE/PS4 (it's a lot closer now). So it doesn't really seem like a fair comparison, really.

The target for game developers is now High-end PC, PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpion. Making the real difference between the Switch and the competition as vast as the Wii days if not more so. New games are being made at original PS4 and Xbox One as a baseline, the bare minimum, which excludes the Switch. It's something of a miracle that Sonic Forces is getting a Switch version at all, only time will tell what sacrifices Sonic Team (or Dimps?) will have to make to get that Switch version playable.

Edit:

7 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Sounds interesting. Sega owns Creative Assembly, so why not get them involved? Just imagine - Sonic: Total War :P

13 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

>only buying it on one console

a TRUE Sonic Fan would buy 3 copies for each console, even if you don't have all the consoles it's on

I kinda want it on PS4 but I also kinda want it on Switch, hrm. I'm getting Mania on PS4 so it'd be nice to have both on the same console... I think I might just get them on Switch later when they go on sale.

Just now, Lady Soniko said:

Sega_ftp_sa1_ec_big.jpeg

??

Big the Cat is secretly the best character, I mean yeah fishing is stupid but goddamn it's charming and besides, we got a fanmade visual novel based on the ridiculous inclusion of it. 

What do we get when we include RTS in Sonic?

I rest my case, Phoenix Wright better watch out.