Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

A reboot would be, IMO, officially one of the worst decisions SEGA/ST could make and yet another example of them throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If it was a reboot, wonder if Sonic officially has rebooted more than Spider-Man lol.

Let's see...there was the Classic -> Adventure transition which did change / add a few things, and to a lesser extent there's '06 -> Unleashed/Colours. I don't think either of those can be called a reboot per se, but the results were very similar. If something like that--or an actual full on reboot that starts over completely--happened again, it would be the third time; so yeah, that would make Sonic tied with the Spidey films in terms of reboots.

• Thumbs Up 4

On the topic of reboots/alternate continuities, this makes me think of what we thought of years ago about Sonic Boom opening opportunities to give Sonic to different producers and devs like the rights to a comic book character and putting in as much liberties as they please. Sonic Battle Network, anyone? Ultimate Sonic? Sonic Kills The Sega Universe?

• Thumbs Up 1

A reboot? Seriously? Where did that come from?

Anyway, I got a question, what type of announcement will we get? As in will they announce the 2016 title? will they announce the consoles for it?etc 

3 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Maybe the announcement in question could be the announcement of when the 25th anniversary announcements will happen. 

Troll joke of the year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I chose a pretty terrible time to come back and check the forums...

As previously mentioned,  Iizuka said Modern Sonic won't die.  However that whole bad news thing is making me pretty restless and panicked...  I just hope they announce whatever it is ASAP so I can go back to being able to sleep :/

I hope they don't throw away characters like Shadow, Silver, etc.

Ugh

What if it's this? Everything getting retconned?  I know it sounds rediculous, so maybe not this way in particular, but what if they killed all the previous stories as being non-cannon?

dammit.png

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Let's see...there was the Classic -> Adventure transition which did change / add a few things, and to a lesser extent there's '06 -> Unleashed/Colours. I don't think either of those can be called a reboot per se, but the results were very similar. If something like that--or an actual full on reboot that starts over completely--happened again, it would be the third time; so yeah, that would make Sonic tied with the Spidey films in terms of reboots.

I believe those are called "retools," and I could see SEGA pulling yet another one. The question would be what they would be planning on doing with one at this point.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, AphexPhreak said:

I chose a pretty terrible time to come back and check the forums...

As previously mentioned,  Iizuka said Modern Sonic won't die.  However that whole bad news thing is making me pretty restless and panicked...  I just hope they announce whatever it is ASAP so I can go back to being able to sleep :/

I hope they don't throw away characters like Shadow, Silver, etc.

Ugh

What if it's this? Everything getting retconned?  I know it sounds rediculous, so maybe not this way in particular, but what if they killed all the previous stories as being non-cannon?

dammit.png

Aw come on. You're being too paranoid. There's no way any of that will happen.

I wouldn't mind the series being rebooted for a Big franchise though.

I don't think it's going to be anything nearly as bad as anyone's making it out to be. Timmi's probably being sarcastic given the "I can't wait" comment.

Something ambiguously bad I could consider is another console exclusivity deal, but eh... I dunno if SEGA would go down that route. Perhaps a bit more likely to do it with Sony, given they seem to be supporting each other with Yakuza's localisations (as well as the PSO2 PS4 console release), but idk. 

1 hour ago, AphexPhreak said:

I highly doubt they'd announce something like that. It's not like most Sonic games show any kind of acknowledgement towards its own canon outside of a small line here or there anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Part of me would love a PSO2 confirmation here, but my love has moved to Xenoblade X. I'm having way too much fun Blossom Dancing things to oblivion.

WVW69i4xNdI0tJBH8I

Also something-something F.U. I'm cute, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, AphexPhreak said:

So what if they did? It's not like the old games are going to vanish from reality, and it's not as if any game in recent history has cared much about the long-term continuity of the series anyway (outside of Generations being all level remakes).

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I believe those are called "retools," and I could see SEGA pulling yet another one. The question would be what they would be planning on doing with one at this point.

We already know they could give 3D Sonic back some classic elements, only this time without questionable execution.

"Oh, you want physics? Have some ramps that are coded to launch you at two preset heights-high and slightly higher-depending on how fast you run towards them!"

"You want more control? Here's a run button!"

"Oh, you want the spin dash? Here's a boost that you have to charge up that looks like the spin dash!"

I personally like the above mechanics, but it's like they feel like they need to give compromises when they really don't and shouldn't

• Thumbs Up 2

If it's only "bad to a handful" of fans, I could perhaps see Fire and Ice being shitcanned at long last, but I dunno. Aaron was talking about it lately. 

We're not getting a reboot. 

Did they ever say when we'll get the announcement? 

1 minute ago, Dan-Dude said:

We're not getting a reboot. 

Did they ever say when we'll get the announcement? 

This week. Who knows what day.

9 minutes ago, Auto said:

We already know they could give 3D Sonic back some classic elements, only this time without questionable execution.

"Oh, you want physics? Have some ramps that are coded to launch you at two preset heights-high and slightly higher-depending on how fast you run towards them!"

"You want more control? Here's a run button!"

"Oh, you want the spin dash? Here's a boost that you have to charge up that looks like the spin dash!"

I personally like the above mechanics, but it's like they feel like they need to give compromises when they really don't and shouldn't

I was talking more from a character, visuals and storytelling standpoint.

Also, there was nothing "questionable" about the execution of the physics in Lost World. Those were pretty much the worst thing ever. I actually did like the idea of the run button, though. I thought it did make precise platforming easier. However, like others have said, it should have been an acceleration button. Either that, or perhaps it should have been a "slow" button while Sonic accelerated by default like usual.

Just now, Detective Hero of Legend said:

This week. Who knows what day.

I knew it was this week, I meant what day.

What kind of announcement do you it will be? A title announcement? A console announcement? etc 

I think I am considering the announcement of some kind of deal. Sony would be the perfect partner for SEGA right now, given Yakuza 0's localisation is seemingly being helped by Sony, PSO2 is console-exclusive to PS4, and the Sonic movie? Sony. 

I acknowledge that's still a bit of a leap though. I can't predict it at all. Just gonna wait and see. 

Really doubt it's a game though, given how desperate the fanbase is I don't think I could interpret that as bad by any stretch. 

19 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

It's not as bad as Tim makes it sound.

At least, it'll only be bad to a small handful of fans. It should be a fun time, though this is already a fun time since any bit of news seems to be tickling the fancy (or annoyance) of the fanbase.

Party pooper :(

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I think I am considering the announcement of some kind of deal. Sony would be the perfect partner for SEGA right now, given Yakuza 0's localisation is seemingly being helped by Sony, PSO2 is console-exclusive to PS4, and the Sonic movie? Sony. 

I acknowledge that's still a bit of a leap though. I can't predict it at all. Just gonna wait and see. 

Really doubt it's a game though, given how desperate the fanbase is I don't think I could interpret that as bad by any stretch. 

Didn't they also throw a bunch of money towards Shenmue 3?