Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

15 minutes ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

People saying Wii U did badly for Sega... what.

Honestly,  I'd say it was in actuality, a case of the games that Sega chose to put in for the exclusivity deal,  not putting out all too decent quality (aside from Lost World) and in turn, unprofitable receptions garnering lackluster sales.

Not really a sturdy stone to place the notion that Sega will take the previous outcomes as legit reasons to leave the Wii U out of the 25th Anniversary,  since,  let's be honest,  the fault lies much more with Sega than Nintendo when it comes to the outcomes of the deal. 

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There's plenty of hype surrounding the likes of Ratchet and Clank on PS4, Sonic would do fine there.

Rio is just an expected thing by now, and Smash is something else entirely. 

I dunno, I'd think if they felt the Olympic games weren't viable anymore, they'd have canceled it, nothing stopping it as far as I would know.

Out of curiosity how well did ASRT and Sonic 4 ep 2 sell? Also keep in mind that SEGA claimed that Runners was a failure. I'm just curious that's all.

1 minute ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I dunno, I'd think if they felt the Olympic games weren't viable anymore, they'd have canceled it, nothing stopping it as far as I would know.

As far as I'm aware, they're contracted by the Olympics to do them. It's probably a handy bit of cash for em. 

Besides Gene said this news would only upset about a handful of fans. You can bet your final fantasies that excluding Nintendo platforms on the next big main series venture is going to tick off more than just the fanbase equivalent of a handful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Besides Gene said this news would only upset about a handful of fans. You can bet your final fantasies that excluding Nintendo platforms on the next big main series venture is going to tick off more than just the fanbase equivalent of a handful. 

BINGO!

My question to you; do you really think Sonic Lost World and Rise of Lyric would've sold more on PS4 and XBO?

Absolutely. But then it becomes a question of how much more would they had sold--which due to both games' quality (Lost World being extremely polarizing and Rise of Lyric being the flames of disaster it is), I would say they wouldn't had performed vastly better.

That said, I wouldn't say that suddenly means both games being Wii U exclusives would had been Sega's absolute best option, if not their only one.

After all this game related speculation it could just be the official announcement for Sonic Boom's second season. That would displease some and make others reasonably happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Inspector Gabe said:

Absolutely. But then it becomes a question of how much more would they had sold--which due to both games' quality (Lost World being extremely polarizing and Rise of Lyric being the flames of disaster it is), I would say they wouldn't had performed vastly better.

That said, I wouldn't say that suddenly means both games being Wii U exclusives would had been Sega's absolute best option, if not their only one.

Okay. Next question; why did ASRT do so well on Wii U and according to one inside source, did BETTER on Wii U than PS3 and 360 then?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not mad, just curious. :) In case you thought I was. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Not necessarily. Folks moaned about Sonic Generations, sure; but end of the day it wasn't some crazy furore. 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Not necessarily. Folks moaned about Sonic Generations, sure; but end of the day it wasn't some crazy furore. 

I think at the time a Wii U version seemed definite, even a late port. Also it did show up on 3DS so the blow was softened for Nintendo fans, as meh as that turned out to be.

Okay. Next question; why did ASRT do so well on Wii U and according to one inside source, did BETTER on Wii U than PS3 and 360 then?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not mad, just curious. :) In case you thought I was. :P

Because it did, I suppose. "Inside source" is a dubious term though.

...That statement is ironic given this whole situation. 

I doubt a racing spin-off that wasn't developed by SEGA's going to have much affect on what Sonic Team decide for the next game though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

A Sony exclusive?  You couldn't possibly mean......

You stole my joke and I want it back!

Anyway. For those on about console exclusive. Mmmmm I don't think it's that. Although lol at the suggestions that the PS4 isn't suitable for a platform mascot when people are begging for crash, ratchet is getting tons of hype and for some unknown reason Knack 2 is getting cheers.

There is no way on earth it'll be a Wii U exclusive. Sega have utterly nothing planned for global release on it. Hell the Vita is getting more support from them.

But I think it's more likely a direction change or decision. I think it's likely to be something like a goodbye to 3D or 2D. 

Gene says it's not that bad a thing so I think your reboot theories/console exclusive stuff isn't likely to be correct, just going to piss off a small number of fans.

So it's either going to be something like a nostalgia pandering game, a game which has a deliberate hook sequel title (e.g. Sonic 5 or SA 3) for marketing reasons... or... a direction change.

It's probably something which people make a big deal about, but in the grand scale of things it's not that bad.

Like the writers or wisps.

• Thumbs Up 8

X + Y + Z > X. Even if you entertain the notion that one console might sell relatively equal numbers to any of the other two, the combined sales of 2-3 platforms is still going to eclipse the sales of just one. I'm not sure how people can unironically suggest a WiiU exclusive (or any exclusive for that matter) is somehow in Sega's best interest when all it takes is basic algebra to indicate to the contrary.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Let's not bullshit here. Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom being tied to the Wii U didn't do anything but hurt sales, mediocre games or not. The install base is less than half of the PS4 and Xbox One's install base. You're losing sales by default there. Most Wii U exclusives shot themselves in the foot when that happened, seeing as most third party games bomb on the system. 

I think Sonic is best off going multiplatform, but if they have to skip the Wii U for the sake of the hardware not being strong enough or just because the money isn't there, they aren't missing much. They're probably better off just putting the game on PS4 and Xbox One. It'd do fine with some strong marketing.

Let's hope so, because Sega is crap at marketing. Even big games like Generations got barely any advertising. It only sold so well because of WOM and Steam sales.

• Thumbs Up 2

The hype is real!

Excited for tomorrow! What could we possibly get though?

22 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Out of curiosity how well did ASRT and Sonic 4 ep 2 sell? Also keep in mind that SEGA claimed that Runners was a failure. I'm just curious that's all.

ASRT has sold 1.36 million units across all platforms (PS3, 360, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PC, iOS, Droid) as of May 2013.

S4E2 never got any sales figures since its release (compared to Sonic 4 PR boasting that S4E1 cleared one million downloads across all platforms a year after it was released), so in my book, it doesn't take too much guesswork to assume the game was a flop.

17 minutes ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Part of that I'd say is because it was a launch title for the Wii U (IIRC, there were no other racers, so if you had a Wii U and you like racing games, this was presumably all you had until MK8 hit on the Wii U), and partially because of the past history of Sonic games on Nintendo consoles.

But I should note that correlation does not equal causation. Just because ASRT (supposedly) sold better on the Wii U than the other consoles versions doesn't mean the same scenario would repeat if the other Sonic games that were part of the exclusivity deal did go multiplatform.

9 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Anyway. For those on about console exclusive. Mmmmm I don't think it's that. Although lol at the suggestions that the PS4 isn't suitable for a platform mascot when people are begging for crash, ratchet is getting tons of hype and for some unknown reason Knack 2 is getting cheers.

That's because people (read: Neogaf) have learned to accept Knack as The True Savior of the PS4.TM

All hail Knack!

lUvApqN.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

On second thought.... never mind.

It's probably just some speculation and code cracking they're doing tomorrow.

Could be wrong though....

2 hours ago, Mat.W said:

What if Sonic is getting the Powerpuff girls treatment?

You mean in terms of redesigns? That people will lose their shit, remember sonic boom's reveil?

I'll bet 50 rings that it isn't a re-design.

That's at least one Special Stage.

It's also at least 2 Bonus Stages. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

*GASP*

Could it be...an Archie Sonic game???

Tables would be flipped if that happened. XD

If they got Ian to write it, I'd already be in "shut up and take my money" mode. The FF's just got that Sega freindly lick of paint too.

#conspiracy_theory.

I could see a game going in that direction splitting the fanbase pretty good. We'll love, we'll rage, it'll be great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Calling it: Sonic 1, 2 and CD finally hits the consoles and PC. PS4 and ONE, no Wii U for "reasons", tho. Neither your beloved Sonic 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to hate saying this. But could it be an official announcement of fire and ice being canceled. It would tick off a handful of people wating for it.