Awoo.

Pontaff Retrospective: What's Up with all the Hate?

FriendBot

5 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Pretty much the "Sonic doesn't need a story" route?

No game before 1998 had dialogue, yet most told a story, especially S3&K

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, RaceProUK said:

No game before 1998 had dialogue, yet most told a story, especially S3&K

Yep, my point. If I had to choose between another game with a written plot like Lost World and Colors, I'd rather have a mute game again with an interesting plot told by movements and tunes.

it would be a great way to restore that classic "Tom & Jerry" vibe between Sonic and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

bvb104-gif-drew-relief.gif

Excellent; we've narrowed down one possible style path the game's story could've gone down. Doesn't mean the story will be anymore entertaining than in recent times to me, but I have leeway to hope and get interested.

• Thumbs Up 3

QONVIyz.gif?noredirect

Well, that's one bit of good news I suppose. Doesn't necessarily mean anything for the main series, but it puts my mind more at ease at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

QONVIyz.gif?noredirect

Well, that's one bit of good news I suppose. Doesn't necessarily mean anything for the main series, but it puts my mind more at ease at the very least.

I think the gif in your signature covers your emotions better. lol

Mine anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I missing something? Because I don't see where it's explicitly stated that Pontaff aren't writing the anniversary title.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they aren't either since Shattered Crystal and Lost World proved to me that enough is enough out of these guys. But Aaron's only said that that site references Fire & Ice specifically. Therefore, it isn't inarguably confirmed that they're not writing the anniversary title. All that's been confirmed is they're writing Fire & Ice. That doesn't outrrule them not writing the other game.

As I said, I hope they aren't because I still believe that neither have any real touch for writing the series and it's characters but it's jumping the gun a bit me thinks regarding thinking that they're definitively off the anniversary game.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

Am I missing something? Because I don't see where it's explicitly stated that Pontaff aren't writing the anniversary title.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they aren't either since Shattered Crystal and Lost World proved to me that enough is enough out of these guys. But Aaron's only said that that site references Fire & Ice specifically. Therefore, it isn't inarguably confirmed that they're not writing the anniversary title. All that's been confirmed is they're writing Fire & Ice. That doesn't outrrule them not writing the other game.

As I said, I hope they aren't because I still believe that neither have any real touch for writing the series and it's characters but it's jumping the gun a bit me thinks regarding thinking that they're definitively off the anniversary game.

That's not the point. The point is we have a chance period he's not involved. We are all aware of that fact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbh, Lost World was one step into the right direction. Unlike Colours and Gens, it at least tried to tell a story.

Still, I don't like their writing. Colours was, storywise, worse than every other Sonic game for me. Yes, worse than Rol. Worse than Shattered Crystal. The hell, it was worse than a human kissing a hedgehog. I'd love to see Flynn writing the story for the anniversary game, though I don't see it happen. A comeback from the guys who wrote Unleashed would be great, too. 

8 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

Damnit Greeny, lemme have this. @,_,@

• Thumbs Up 1

i do wanna say this: just because Pontaff's not writing the Anniversary game doesn't mean that the writing for the anniversary game is magically going to get any better. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

i do wanna say this: just because Pontaff's not writing the Anniversary game doesn't mean that the writing for the anniversary game is magically going to get any better. 

But at least now we have more faith in it to be good.

27 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

I don't see why else he would clarify that it was just in reference to Fire and Ice. Besides, look at the OP of that page. He asks whether the statement was in reference to the anniversary game or Fire and Ice, then Aaron clarifies that it's just Fire and Ice. It seems pretty clear to me

Can't wait to see Sonic '16's story hyped and overrated to all hell just for not being P&G.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Can't wait to see Sonic '16's story hyped and overrated to all hell just for not being P&G.

If this story bombs, I guess you will be laughing right? Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Talk about preaching to the choir. I guess at this point no one is allowed to be happy when anything they don't like in this franchise is rumored to be or has a chance of not returning.

• Thumbs Up 8

I wouldn't overrate/hype a game not written by P&G because it wasn't written by P&G.

I'd value a new or returning writer if they actually portrayed Sonic and Tails as, you know, Sonic and Tails whilst actually bringing a genuine sense of agency to the narrative.

That hasn't been seen for close to seven years now. That's over a quarter of the current length of franchise's existence.

• Thumbs Up 3

The disconnect between the story and gameplay is definitely an issue, but it's not the only one. Lost World- despite having very little connection to the stages- actually had decent narrative ideas regardless. It is literally the scripting, those missed moments of dialogue that would've serve as better connective tissue to rationalize the conflicts better, that mostly lets it down.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally I can type on the PC. I hate my computer. 

Anyway, we weren't trying to be bitter assholes about this. I wanted to clarify that as that wasn't our intent. We, well I was at first, were kinda like in a "what" state with people saying that the game's story was going to be good because P&G weren't in it. No one was saying your not allowed to be happy about it, I was just simply saying that even before P&G, there were Sonic games with pretty bad writing. Even the beloved Adventure games most of us are divided. I personally do not think SA2 has good writing but others will disagree.

I don't know but it is annoying when people to act as if P&G were sent from Sonic hell to punish Sonic fans for their misdeeds. Yes, they do have writing flaws. As a fan, I will admit that. I am not blind. However, I feel that their writing has improved since Colors. Especially with Lost World and the Boom games to where I want to see what else they can do. Again, I'm not saying no one is allowed to not be happy this is happening, I was just saying a simple reminder. That was all. :)

8 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

See, I don't like his attitude in Lost World lol. That's like worst possible way if making him independent. I want him to be independent and not an asshole.

I wouldn't particularly mind tails being a smart ass. I just want the stories to be better. 

If Pontaff aren't writing the 25th anniversary game

472%20-%20don_west%20gif%20high_five%20m

I know, I know. It's not a guarantee the story would be better, but this at least gives SEGA the chance to bring in someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to writing these characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, D.H said:

I know, I know. It's not a guarantee the story would be better, but this at least gives SEGA the chance to bring in someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to writing these characters.

ian-flynn.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I know the perfect writer! The ULTIMATE Sonic fan!

To summon this person, we must say "frick" three times...

• Thumbs Up 1