Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

I never knew I needed a PS4 this much until now.

Fuck the Steam Sales, this is where my money will be going.

Certainly looks nice, but will it get out of the "press square a lot and then press R1 a lot" rut?

No way. Ratchet has never had a QTE in the game.

On another note. I finally fucking did it. 100% Completed the original game with the fucking platinum.

I think he's referring to the fact that Ratchet and Clank sometimes don't have that much involvement gameplay-wise. Most of the time it's just shooting, moving left and right, and watching stuff blow up, then breaking several crates for bolts, essentially. Technically even RoL's gameplay is more involving than some points of Ratchet's carrier.

I think the only way that they can, and do, fix this is by giving Ratchet more melee weapons, like the Blitzer, (good gravy I loved that thing) or ranged weapons that require more input, like the Sonic Eruptor requiring timing to preform at top peak. Otherwise it's pretty hard to make the combat involving without changing up the gameplay formula. The average enemies hardly ever favor a certain weapon, so combat-unique enemy attack patterns and weak spots are completely out of the window most of the time. And the enemies are usually pretty mob-based to allow equality between all weapons, at the same time.

This is why Full Frontal Assult was probably the most complex and involving gameplay the series has had so far, because it changed up the gameplay into something that was better suited to complexity with the mob enemy behaviour: Tower Defence. Not that I prefer it's gameplay over any of the main titles, but you have to give them credit for finding a way for the combat to be a lot more fundamentally involved in a Ratchet and Clank game.

It's funny how Insomniac tried new ways varying up Ratchet's gameplay with A4O and FFA and they both failed in doing so when everyone just wanted to "run n' gun".

Not that I find Ratchet's gameplay uninteresting, it's just funny how the games needed no change.

But honestly though, I'll trade 60FPS for Pixar quality graphics.

I suppose with R&C it's not super essential, but 60FPS does impact gameplay. Button inputs read faster in 60FPS. That's why it's absolutely essential to fast paced action games such as Devil May Cry or pretty much any 2d fighter. 

But Rachet is slower paced so like I said it's not quite as essential. I'm still slightly miffed through. 

If you don't think this is the hottest shit, get out of my face. Gaspar is so much more expansive than in the original yet still retains so many distinct features that invoke nostalgia.

Also shout outs to Into the Nexus' jet pack coming back. Really glad.

• Thumbs Up 6

Words can't express how happy I am that the jetpack is back, that was like my favorite thing from into the nexus and hopefully they expanded it on here so that you can truly use it anywhere.

Okay, now that I'm not limited to my iPad.

11535928_585951981546844_706676611891420

I managed to play the game at E3. Some bad news is there were hardly any lines for it, which makes me guess the general public doesn't care too much for it. But anyway, back to the positives.

There were two stages, and I played both. One was a recreation of the train section in Metropolis. A major change is the focus is destroying a bomb on it that Drek intends to detonate at the Hall of Heroes. Oh, you also climb along the side of a tank housing a FUCKING HUGE Pool Shark from the first 3 games, but fortunately it can't get you. It does give you an idea where this is going in the future, though.

After safely detonating the bomb, that's it for that demo.

The other level is the Blargian Snagglebeast fight. Rather than being a fight against Qwark's personal pet, it turns out to be a secret weapon of Drek's (Qwark states he had no idea the secret weapon was that... so it's ambiguous if he's just that stupid or trying to get Ratchet killed like in the original). Its moveset has been changed around, and there's also commentary from the Blarg scientists monitoring the fight; they're convinced you're just a test subject and thank you for sacrificing yourself for the glory of Drek.

The demo was overall quite fun, though I had to get used to the changed controls; it uses a lot of the buttons and weapons from the Future and Nexus series. You can never go wrong with Mr. Zurkon, right?

1476158_585954314879944_2310842317839674

Unrelated to the game but I also got this. SQUEEEEE.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, now that I'm not limited to my iPad.

11535928_585951981546844_706676611891420

I managed to play the game at E3. Some bad news is there were hardly any lines for it, which makes me guess the general public doesn't care too much for it. But anyway, back to the positives.

There were two stages, and I played both. One was a recreation of the train section in Metropolis. A major change is the focus is destroying a bomb on it that Drek intends to detonate at the Hall of Heroes. Oh, you also climb along the side of a tank housing a FUCKING HUGE Pool Shark from the first 3 games, but fortunately it can't get you. It does give you an idea where this is going in the future, though.

After safely detonating the bomb, that's it for that demo.

The other level is the Blargian Snagglebeast fight. Rather than being a fight against Qwark's personal pet, it turns out to be a secret weapon of Drek's (Qwark states he had no idea the secret weapon was that... so it's ambiguous if he's just that stupid or trying to get Ratchet killed like in the original). Its moveset has been changed around, and there's also commentary from the Blarg scientists monitoring the fight; they're convinced you're just a test subject and thank you for sacrificing yourself for the glory of Drek.

The demo was overall quite fun, though I had to get used to the changed controls; it uses a lot of the buttons and weapons from the Future and Nexus series. You can never go wrong with Mr. Zurkon, right?

1476158_585954314879944_2310842317839674

Unrelated to the game but I also got this. SQUEEEEE.

Looks like you had a great time at E3!

Hoping you had fun with the Ratchet demo!

So the planets aren't a linear path anymore? This'll be an interesting concept that I'll definitely love. Especially in city planets, because it feels like there is more in the world than we we're getting.

Looks like you had a great time at E3!

Hoping you had fun with the Ratchet demo!

It was fun enough for what it was!

I'm hoping they add more levels in later demos at other events this year.

So the planets aren't a linear path anymore? This'll be an interesting concept that I'll definitely love. Especially in city planets, because it feels like there is more in the world than we we're getting.

If this is in regards to my post about the demo, I think they just did that for demo purposes and it will return to the original format of having set objectives on each planet.

It was fun enough for what it was!

I'm hoping they add more levels in later demos at other events this year.

I'd say they'd add this new level we got:

If this is in regards to my post about the demo, I think they just did that for demo purposes and it will return to the original format of having set objectives on each planet.

Oh, whoops, sorry. No.

I was talking about the the Gasper gameplay we got. It looks more open than most Ratchet & Clank games.

Oh, whoops, sorry. No.

I was talking about the the Gasper gameplay we got. It looks more open than most Ratchet & Clank games.

Gasper was always that way, it had about 4 routes you could take 

Gasper was always that way, it had about 4 routes you could take

Oh, well I never actually got to play the original Ratchet & Clank. I've only ever played Gladiator (or Deadlocked), Size Matters, 3, and Secret Agent Clank.

If they give it more than 4 routes, then that'll be almost open world. I get more excited the more I hear about it!

If you don't think this is the hottest shit, get out of my face. Gaspar is so much more expansive than in the original yet still retains so many distinct features that invoke nostalgia.

Also shout outs to Into the Nexus' jet pack coming back. Really glad.

I thought it was the hottest shit.

does that make me a good person?

But, seriously that looked and felt wonderful and Gasper feels so different and yet so familar from when I played it in the original. I couldn't feel anymore happy to see it and sad that I can't play this yet. Just... I just need this in my life man.

• 2 weeks later...

Realized this is a good spot to chat about it, so time to talk about PS3 Ratchets. So I own and have played all the PS2 games(which is why the collection isn't high up on my list), and PSP ones, so I finally managed to pick up a PS3 yesterday so decided to start up on grabbing the ones on it. I managed to pick up Crack in time, and Into the Nexus, which means I also got Quest for Booty. Now I've already played Tools of Destruction and CIT before, so I was thinking I would start with Quest for Booty, since its the earliest I've got Chronologically. I hope to pick up Tools of Destruction as soon as I can, but I really want a cased copy with manual so it may take a little bit.

Actually overall I am aiming for CIC when I can, so that requires some patience of course. So that brings me to the main reason for my post, I thought I would ask you guys about the experimental spinoffs All 4 one, and Full Frontal Assault. Now I've actually had a chance already to try the latter, and it was a different take, but overall I didn't mind it. All 4 One has me interested since the part of it that most interested is the part that sounds like it turned off most. R&C gameplay mechanics mixed with a co-op Brawler, and brawlers are one of my favorite genres, and the different take sounds like it could be rather fun. Reason why I'm here though is that I thought I would ask you guys your thoughts about the 2 games? anything to say?

Edit just thought of one other thing, do both games still keep the classic humor and fun story balance of the main games? that's one of my favorite parts of the series

Crack in Time was a fantastic game. It was one of my first PS3 games. I may replay it again soon.

All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault are decent games, but I recommend you get people to play it online with you as they get very repetitive and boring on solo. 

I never tried those games. Perhaps I should. I also had the Ratchet & Clank PSP games which were alright.

All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault are decent games, but I recommend you get people to play it online with you as they get very repetitive and boring on solo. 

Don't they both have local co-op as well? I do have 2 controllers and a cousin I could probably get to play, if I remember correctly the latter does for sure, though I figure the first does as well, I mean that's why it has a fixed camera

A Crack in Time was really good, but I had one big disappointment with the game.

(Big spoiler)

I didn't like  that Ratchet and Clank weren't together until the last few moments. I missed them together

Say I just noticed that if you get Full Frontal Assault digitally(which honestly is the best deal price wise), you also get Deadlocked for free, that seems like a good deal to me, though I probably won't do it today. the digital port of Deadlocked doesn't have any issues does it? I have it physically on PS2, but always nice to have stuff accessible