Awoo.

The Ratchet & Clank Topic - Rift Apart - RELEASE DATE: June 11th 2021

Ryannumber1gamer

Words seriously don't begin to describe how hyped I am for this. 

But, some things that kind of bothered me were the use of a pop song (I usually don't mind it, I would have just preferred something that fits the Ratchet style a little more) and the fact that James Arnold Taylor, David Kayne, and the other main VAs don't get a mention on the trailer, while all the big name stars like John Goodman does. It's James and David's movie, they should be the ones getting top billing.

and the fact that James Arnold Taylor, David Kayne, and the other main VAs don't get a mention on the trailer, while all the big name stars like John Goodman does. It's James and David's movie, they should be the ones getting top billing.

There's a good reason for that

1.) You attach names to get a bigger audience, Parents that take their kids will probably know who some of those names are. Some names hit specific demos also.

2.) Those names typically aren't cheap and they often require in a contracted to be listed on their own line.

My guess is Sylvester Stalone gets his own screen with "And Sylvester Stalone" at the beginning of the film, even if he is only a minor character. 

As for the other names, chances are the public doesn't recognize them. Sad as it may sound, you don't want a lot of people saying "who?" about a movie they have yet to see. Just be happy those original actors are in the movie. It'll please the fans.

Edited by CrashRatchetFan
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't wait to go see this with a whole bunch of other adults in their mid twenties. Should prove for a good time.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is this I'm feeling? Extreme hype? Don't mind if I do!

I tell ya, this is a video game movie worth looking forward to. And it has Dr Nefarious, no less!

This is quite the interesting re-imagining indeed. Races from Polaris are now in Solana. Then you have Nefarious appearing as a non-robot working with Drek.

Then there's the Deplanetizer doing the dirty work rather than being conceived solely to destroy Veldin.

I must say it's weird not having Drek's original voice actor, but I understand why they had to change a few voices around. Better the characters who will die in the first one in all likelihood than the main cast.

Edited by Wendigogilvie

Going through some of the comments on the video, I see some people like the asshole Ratchet from the original game than the Ratchet shown here in the reimagining. And that gets me thinking, would you prefer the personality of the Ratchet shown in the original game, or the personality of the Ratchet shown here?

Me? I prefer the modern Ratchet, because I'd rather not stick around the theatres watching the movie when a main character acts like a douchebag.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why the hell would I want to like the old jerkass Ratchet who I can't sympathize with?

People on the internet are just being stupid like always.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

In all honesty, I like the original Ratchet in the grander scheme of things. He was just a kid who was selfish and only interested in himself. His trials molded him into an actual hero.

VnYNQVi.png

AHAHAHA the movie is trending, all is well!

• Thumbs Up 1

As a person who hasn't played the games, I am still super excited for this movie and this new trailer just amplified it!

Me and my sister are totally gonna see this film the week of release. Hope it does well!

• Thumbs Up 1

Going through some of the comments on the video, I see some people like the asshole Ratchet from the original game than the Ratchet shown here in the reimagining. And that gets me thinking, would you prefer the personality of the Ratchet shown in the original game, or the personality of the Ratchet shown here?

Me? I prefer the modern Ratchet, because I'd rather not stick around the theatres watching the movie when a main character acts like a douchebag.

Critics hated Ratchet in their reviews of the first game because he was a huge jerk, so Insomniac felt the need to change that in future games. I don't want history to repeat itself. Honestly, knowing how much of a jerk he was in the original game, it can be hard to go back after getting used to his nicer self. So in short, I definitely prefer his newer personality.

In all honesty, I like the original Ratchet in the grander scheme of things. He was just a kid who was selfish and only interested in himself. His trials molded him into an actual hero.

But you bring up a good point. R&C1 Ratchet pretty much grew up on Veldin alone; I doubt it'd be in his nature to care about others in that case. He probably had to fight off the hostile wildlife there for years, and I don't think that helped, either; if anything, it just made him a bit more arrogant and aggressive.

It was only after he met Clank (though, at that point, he mostly cared about having a robotic ignition system to power his ship) and the two went on their first big adventure that he started to care about someone other than himself. So you could say for newcomers that attempting to tolerate his bad traits is worth it to see if he improves as a person and a hero.

Spoilers for the first game follow to illustrate this. R&C1 is almost 13 years old, but better safe than sorry when it comes to the series newcomers in here who haven't played it; you guys can look over this. Also, this section is a little long-winded, so if you already know what happened and don't feel like reading through it, feel free to skip it too.

In general, when he started out, Ratchet didn't care much for the fate of others; heck, when Qwark betrayed him and Clank, he nearly gave up saving the day just to get back at the Captain. If Clank hadn't "blackmailed" him because his robotic ignition system was necessary to start the ship, the Lombax would most likely have dumped him, taken out Qwark, returned to Veldin, and forgotten the whole issue with Drek, therefore allowing the villain to continue with his planet-portion-stealing, money-making endless cycle of a plan. He and Clank wouldn't have become beloved, galaxy-traveling heroes, and evil across the universe would continue unchallenged.

And what's worse, we wouldn't have any more games.

But that didn't happen. And Ratchet got better.

Take, for example, the cutscene at the beginning of Oltanis-- as soon as they step outside the ship, Clank immediately gets struck by a bolt of lightning, and Ratchet visibly worries about his health. Fortunately, Clank is (mostly) fine, but Ratchet decides it's in the robot's best safety to get back in the ship. He probably wouldn't have done that if he was still in his "Qwark betrayed me and I'm angry at you because it's all your fault"... phase.

Another example is in the moments after the two defeat Drek by turning his own Deplanetizer against him. They get knocked off the platform by the exploding debris of Drek's planet, and Clank breaks his arm servos attempting to save Ratchet from certain death. As a result of that, they end up falling anyway, but Clank saves himself and Ratchet from gravity's harsh embrace again at the last moment; still, it seemed as though Ratchet was done with him anyway, walking off with a seemingly indifferent "eh, you'll be fine" and leaving him with a broken arm.

Just as the distraught robot walks off in apparent disbelief that Ratchet's selfish nature hasn't changed after all he's been through, the Lombax came back for him, saying with the most sincere tone that they need to get Clank's arm fixed; thus, what he meant by "you'll be fine". The two walk home, their long friendship just beginning as the game ends.

Over the years, the duo would go on more adventures, making more friends, and Ratchet became a genuinely nicer, better person for it. While we may lose that character development in the movie, at least its critics won't point out how insufferable he is.

Edited by GhostlyWind

I honestly can't stand the Ratchet 1 personification of Ratchet. I like his character development and all that, but other than that, It's annoying how every cutscene from a certain point onwards turns into Ratchet being an asshole to Clank, and complaining how he's gonna get payback. It doesn't help that his voice was a lot more generic, and in general, added to the asshole-ish nature of the character. It's alright to be angry at a character, there's nothing wrong with conflict, but we don't need that conflict shoved into our faces every single cutscene, when it basically amounts to "Clank's right, Ratchet's being a douche".

I kind of feel as though jerk ratchet probably would've worked a whole lot better if it didn't seem like he just sort of went on and off it at certain points, like one cutscene he's fine and the next he's just being plain unreasonable. I wouldn't have minded it if it just stayed for a small part of the game and then when ratchet cools off he still just wants to get revenge but he's being less in your face about it and then gradually starts to see why he was wrong to be that way in the first place. The way how it was then just made it come off as unnatural but I feel as though if they had done it this way it could've been received better.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with Ratchet in the first game is that his anger is completely fucking misplaced; he blames Clank for something he also went along with for the most part and spends half of the game being pissy about it. And then his change of heart just comes because he now suddenly feels bad for all of Drek's victims despite not giving a shit beforehand. Its not so much the fact that he was an asshole, but rather a poorly handled asshole.

His character after Going Commando is an improvement not only because they mellowed him out, but because he does genuinely develop over the series and it doesn't feel forced in the slightest. That's why I don't get when people say Ratchet in the first game was a good character, he wasn't...at all. 

• Thumbs Up 3

No one cares about character development if they have to put up with six hours of dickhead to get to it. The fact that Ratchet would no longer sound like a side character from Rocket Power would greatly help. But they are already going to have to completely rewrite the plot to keep it from being so forced; so they might as well try a story that is predicated less on how much Ratchet wants to get revenge everyone who slighted him, until he suddenly feels bad about that thing he was being told from the start of the story because now that he killed one guy his mind is clear now.

• Thumbs Up 2

But you bring up a good point. R&C1 Ratchet pretty much grew up on Veldin alone; I doubt it'd be in his nature to care about others in that case. He probably had to fight off the hostile wildlife there for years, and I don't think that helped, either; if anything, it just made him a bit more arrogant and aggressive.

And this view would be supported by real life sociological evidence. The evidence shows that living in a violent neighborhood ultimately is detrimental to one's demeanor, as one likewise becomes more violent. This is a survival mechanism.

So living on a wasteland world like Veldin probably would have had the same effect. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The biggest problem as it was already said, is the fact that it's unjustified. Ratchet only realized at the very last possible second that something seemed iffy, and in Clank's perspective, he was naive (Which is fair, he was born only a few days prior to that point). Look at it from Clank's perspective, Qwark to his knowledge was the universe's greatest hero, and like a child who idolizes a superhero, it meant that Qwark was unable to be corrupted. It's actually fridge brilliance in a way as TV Tropes would put it. 

There's a reason Clank's so naive and that he fell so easily into Qwark's trap, because like a kid, when he saw a superhero, he thought there was no possible way that the hero could be corrupted, and turned to evil. 

Ratchet's characterization and realization he's an asshole doesn't work well because it isn't handled correctly. We spent a good chunk of the game (Easily around 50-60%) of it with Ratchet constantly whining, and complaining that "Clank's an idiot, Imma get that Qwark >:(" even when the biggest threats were present. It could have worked if over the course of the game, Drek began doing worse and worse things, causing Ratchet to realize that his anger and lust for revenge is completely misplaced, and he slowly began wanting to stop Drek, rather than go after Qwark.

Say for example, he kept acting like a douche until you got the O2 mask and Ratchet could explore Orxon and saw what Drek did to the planet, then Ratchet begins to ease up a little and begin to realize that Drek must be stopped, and it would keep building until you got to Hoven and saw the battleship that Drek was creating, which would finally cause him to realize he's been a jerk, and then they'd stop Qwark on the way, which would then go into Ratchet getting fully determined to stop Drek at any cost. This way, it wouldn't get so repetitive and it would feel like Ratchet's actually progressing through the game and as a character.

But the way they've done it, Ratchet's a complete asshole who doesn't give two shits about anyone else until the very last possible second, where the writers wrote themselves into a corner and realized "Oh shit! We don't have any reason for Ratchet to go after Drek now that Qwark's beaten!" so now they just make Ratchet's character do a complete 180 just to justify him finishing the game, and even then, he only really gets truly determined to stop Drek when it's Veldin in danger.

Edited by Ryannumber1Scarer
  • Thumbs Up 1

And this view would be supported by real life sociological evidence. The evidence shows that living in a violent neighborhood ultimately is detrimental to one's demeanor, as one likewise becomes more violent. This is a survival mechanism.

So living on a wasteland world like Veldin probably would have had the same effect. :P

No it wouldn't. That doesn't even make sense. The planet Veldin is absolutely nothing like any sort of "violent neighborhood." It's a backwater planet with nothing interesting to do or see. It's far more equivalent to a deserted rural area or farm land. The original Ratchet is just a stupid, bored teenager who tinkers with mechanical stuff as a hobby. All the things he knows of the outside world(s) are things presented to him through things like television, film, magazines, etc. Qwark's escapades are just the primary catalyst to his desire to leave the planet. I'm sure he would have been just as content leaving to become something other than a hero, but it's the childish dream of naive teen in solitude.

I find a lot of these justifications for Asshole Ratchet to be entirely ridiculous. I'm not saying that the angry Ratchet that desired revenge never should have existed, but it was a concept that was executed extremely poorly and there's absolutely no reason to ever go back to it. I can understand that being deceived and nearly killed by your beloved idol would make you frustrated and want to get back, but it could have been handled far better. People keep calling the shit he pulled "character development" when it was more like a heel face turn right before the climax of the game than anything else.

It'd be far more believable and less obnoxious if maybe he spent some of that time after Qwark's betrayal not just feeling angry but, dare I say, sad and disappointed? Where are the five stages of grief? He just directs nothing but anger towards Clank and little to nothing else. The two of them don't even really argue over anything. It's just a bunch of Ratchet making snarky, unneeded remarks that more or less boil down to "Yeah, whatever! Dumb robot! Gonna dump you! Gonna turn you to scrap!" and nothing else for four fucking hours while Clank grimaces. An all out argument before the forgive and forget would have actually been awesome but there was none of that. It's just crappy writing.

The core plot of the original game works without Ratchet being a shit head and presenting an unlikable idiot as the main character to an all ages / family friendly film with the disclaimer "He'll get good later!" is suicide. Leave Asshole Ratchet where he belongs; in the past.

• Thumbs Up 6

"Yeah, whatever! Dumb robot! Gonna dump you! Gonna turn you to scrap!"

You also forgot "I need this plot required gadget/item so just remember, you're getting lucky pal!" which is then followed by "Dumb robot!"

No it wouldn't. That doesn't even make sense. The planet Veldin is absolutely nothing like any sort of "violent neighborhood." It's a backwater planet with nothing interesting to do or see. It's far more equivalent to a deserted rural area or farm land.

I dunno, good sir.

HornyToad.jpg

I don't know many farms or rural areas that are filled with large numbers of outright aggressive beasts like these. Sure you have your snakes, scorpions, what have you, but a lot of those are defensive in demeanor (the common sense thing to do with larger animals is to leave them alone), or nowhere near as big.

People trying to pet the horny toad gon' get ate.

Edited by Wendigogilvie

I don't know many farms or rural areas that are filled with large numbers of outright aggressive beasts like these.

True story, but in real life cows can actually tend to be kind of aggressive and confrontational pricks as opposed to the dumb and staid animals they are frequently portrayed as. Plus anywhere that you can have a decent land for farming is the same type of anywhere that can be loaded with coyotes and wolves as soon as the sun goes down.

And on a more serious note, it's a bit of a stretch to act like the games treat those sort of ammo sponge enemies in that way in story. They are clearly dangerous, but never actually used as a serious threat because even the first game was heavy on slapstick. Like how Dragonball was loaded with dinosaurs and shit once you left the cities but they were almost never treated as anything but part of the scenery.

Going shortly back to the trailer...I still can't stand the designs of the new female characters.

Like they're just so generic, and really don't fit into the Ratchet universe. 

So huh.. hey, hi guys, all good? I wanted to ask something and I figured it out this would be the best place to do it soooo... Erm, yeah. I, "kinda", want to, "possibly", buy the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection on PS Store, BUT, first, I need advice... From you guys! OK, first things first: I've never played any of these games before, all I know is that it's a platformer with combat and shooting elements, made by the same team who made the original Spyro trilogy, which I adore. It's very important to note that I also never played any of the Jak and Daxter games untill last year, when I bought the HD Collection. In a nutshell: loved the first to pieces, completed it twice. Didn't like Jak 2 near as much, but finished. Played a little of Jak 3, never touched it again. The main reason why I didn't like Jak 2, was the abrupt change of tone and gameplay, once a great platformer with bright visuals and catchy music, to a half OK platformer with heavy focus on combat and shooting, an uninteresting world and forgetable music. So my fear is: are all the ReC games like Jak 2 and 3? Because if yes, I can still go for it, since what really turned me off wasn't the "ow boo, weapons and vehicles", it was the sudden change of gameplay emphasys from one game to another, despite it being done relatively well, I mean, I can't say I had zero fun with the weapons and the hoverboard... Althought I still think that traveling throught Haven City in those vehicles that control like ass: So. Freaking. Annoying. To say the least. But if shooting and combat are common elements right from the first game, I can dig. Tell me what else to expect regarding visuals and music if you will. Thanks!

So huh.. hey, hi guys, all good? I wanted to ask something and I figured it out this would be the best place to do it soooo... Erm, yeah. I, "kinda", want to, "possibly", buy the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection on PS Store, BUT, first, I need advice... From you guys! OK, first things first: I've never played any of these games before, all I know is that it's a platformer with combat and shooting elements, made by the same team who made the original Spyro trilogy, which I adore. It's very important to note that I also never played any of the Jak and Daxter games untill last year, when I bought the HD Collection. In a nutshell: loved the first to pieces, completed it twice. Didn't like Jak 2 near as much, but finished. Played a little of Jak 3, never touched it again. The main reason why I didn't like Jak 2, was the abrupt change of tone and gameplay, once a great platformer with bright visuals and catchy music, to a half OK platformer with heavy focus on combat and shooting, an uninteresting world and forgetable music. So my fear is: are all the ReC games like Jak 2 and 3? Because if yes, I can still go for it, since what really turned me off wasn't the "ow boo, weapons and vehicles", it was the sudden change of gameplay emphasys from one game to another, despite it being done relatively well, I mean, I can't say I had zero fun with the weapons and the hoverboard... Althought I still think that traveling throught Haven City in those vehicles that control like ass: So. Freaking. Annoying. To say the least. But if shooting and combat are common elements right from the first game, I can dig. Tell me what else to expect regarding visuals and music if you will. Thanks!

No, the tone, and gameplay is the same throughout, although the games certainly evolve for the better. While the original game is good, it's still more clunky, and the story and characters are no where near as good as the later games, but it's still worth playing if you haven't played it before. Ratchet 2 and 3 introduce RPG Leveling up mechanics where you earn EXP when you kill an enemy, which then upgrades your health and weapons, as well as making the games an amazing blend of comedic and serious tones.

• Thumbs Up 1