Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Onto the creative freedom. If you think about this isn't much different from a "normal" Sonic game besides the speed of it.

Besides the fact the only thing this game has with a normal sonic game is that it has some platforming. I'm not bashing the game but to say little has changed is just silly, here in reality the only thing that tells you its a sonic game is his skin on the character.

I agree we shouldnt take Littlezuka expression to seriously, he was obviously not seeing/playing the game for the first time and I doubt he was having a epiphany of OMG this sucks. Still looking that sad when playing a game does is not a good sign, so you can't throw it away either

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't say it wasn't different but I said I don't see "Creative juices ran wild!" or even "too much creative freedom" I'm not saying this looks exactly like normal Sonic, no, but that is distinguishable and isn't like they made something completely different. 

Quote: "I think they might have given Big Red Button a bit too much freedom with this" 

I said- I don't see that..

I didn't say it wasn't different but I said I don't see "Creative juices ran wild!" or even "too much creative freedom" I'm not saying this looks exactly like normal Sonic, no, but that is distinguishable and isn't like they made something completely different. 

Quote: "I think they might have given Big Red Button a bit too much freedom with this" 

I said- I don't see that..

I am not bashing the game because of it or saying they have to much freedom, but you are saying this game isn't totally completely different therefore they didn't have too much freedom, but saying that this game isn't completely different is wrong because all it has are a handful of tiny similarities, and so your argument holds not weight.

I didn't understand what you just typed?

I may have worded wrong in that last reply but I'm saying, how much freedom they had ISN'T the problem but rather what aspects of normal Sonic they emphasized is. (Not to me but some) don't get your counter claim..

I didn't understand what you just typed?

I may have worded wrong in that last reply but I'm saying, how much freedom they had ISN'T the problem but rather what aspects of normal Sonic they emphasized is. (Not to me but some) don't get your counter claim..

When you talked about creative freedom you stated that they didn't create something completely different and that there wasn't that much change from normal sonic.

That is incorrect, its clear they did change it to something completely different. Taking something you do 2% of the time in most sonic games and turning it into something you do every other second would be a huge change. The fact that its clear where you have to go isn't exactly much of a similarity since that can be said about any linear game. Saying the combat is just an emphasis on the "combat" in regular sonic is a HUGE stretch.

Anyway what aspects of normal sonic would you say they emphasized?

I think there's too much pressure on this game to "Innovate".

Well, I don't think anyone's asking for the game to be revolutionary when they talk about innovation, but...what's this game got to offer that other games don't? What's the hook? What is supposed to make me open my wallet for this?

For something that's supposed to be a big, important new branch of the series, it's just so...forgettable. It's got nothing that hasn't been done before, only this time, it's Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 9

When you talked about creative freedom you stated that they didn't create something completely different and that there wasn't that much change from normal sonic.

That is incorrect, its clear they did change it to something completely different. Taking something you do 2% of the time in most sonic games and turning it into something you do every other second would be a huge change. The fact that its clear where you have to go isn't exactly much of a similarity since that can be said about any linear game. Saying the combat is just an emphasis on the "combat" in regular sonic is a HUGE stretch.

Anyway what aspects of normal sonic would you say they emphasized?

Segmenting speed into "Sections" and Combat.

And what I mean by run of the mill Sonic game is that, just like Sonic Team, they're putting things on fate's edge with an experimental gameplay style. It may or may not succeed but that's aside the point. And even looking at normal Sonic games it's still not as drastic as others see it to me.

Well, I don't think anyone's asking for the game to be revolutionary when they talk about innovation, but...what's this game got to offer that other games don't? What's the hook? What is supposed to make me open my wallet for this?

For something that's supposed to be a big, important new branch of the series, it's just so...forgettable. It's got nothing that hasn't been done before, only this time, it's Sonic.

It's sad to say but that is most likely going to be the mainstream opinion. It really does come off as a cash-in title that only diehard fans and fans of the new cartoon are going to buy.

I'm really going to be shocked if that cartoon doesn't shove the game in viewers' face every commercial break.

• Thumbs Up 1

And this my friend is my only concern. I personally haven't played any of these titles/types of games besides Stuart Little I think... So for me this looks new but then after researching I saw where all the draws were pulled from but I still find this to seem enjoyable. I'm torn. But I think I'll still like it... hm.

Again, if not anything else, I'll probably check out the game for how the story and writing are handled. Really hoping the game turns out good and they're just saving the best for last.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, if not anything else, I'll probably check out the game for how the story and writing are handled. Really hoping the game turns out good and they're just saving the best for last.

That's the feeling I get, or, at least, I really hope that's what's going on here, because I'm a bit worried about the kinds of critical review scores this game might get upon release if not. Even if the game really does turn out to be a dud, though (not that I think it will), there's still the cartoon. And really, in the end, what actually matters is that the toon does well.

Annnnnd... PERSONALLY- That's a bad way of thinking of things. If a game can't be "okay" then what? That'd be like if I went around saying Lost World is garbage and Adventure 2 is great because Lost World is "okay" to me. That's a really worrying way of thinking and isn't really logical. 

Is this just for Sonic? or what? It's kind of like "either this game is gonna be awesome! or I'm gonna hate it!" It's like- why can't it be okay? Sonic 4 episode 1 isn't outright bad by any means, it's okay and can still be an enjoyable title for some. 

Ehh... I don't even know anymore.

Golly! I can't wait to spend $60 of my hard earned money on this game! I think it kind of looks okay at best, but that's fine because it could be worse!

Light, I don't want to make assumptions about how you make your money or who pays for your video games, but you have to consider that some of us may not fancy spending money we worked hard to earn on something that looks "okay". I'm not balancing college with a part time job bagging groceries and doing janitorial work so that I can waste my money on mediocrity. 

To be blunt, no. It can't be "okay". Because I have a wealth of better things to spend my money on then "okay". 

• Thumbs Up 9

This Sega of Japan vs. America thing is reminding me of what happened with Metroid Prime. Retro Studios made this game and then Nintendo of Japan started pretending the prime games didn't exist because of their reputation.

(in fact, prime got a lot of shit before it was released just for being different, too!)

• Thumbs Up 1

And I disagree with them. 

Basic reading comprehension and outright agreement are two entirely different things, and I don't think anyone will debate that. The small text in your posts reads more as a not very subtle attempt at irony than a point that addresses what anyone has actually been saying.

Nobody dislikes the game purely on the basis that it's different.

This Sega of Japan vs. America thing is reminding me of what happened with Metroid Prime. Retro Studios made this game and then Nintendo of Japan started pretending the prime games didn't exist because of their reputation.

(in fact, prime got a lot of shit before it was released just for being different, too!)

Did... did you really just try to compare Sonic Boom to Metroid Prime? A cash-in licensed title to what might be one of the most acclaimed games of the past few generations, all on the flimsiest pretense of people being apprehensive about both?

For heaven's sake, comrade, this is downright ridiculous. People have gotten their hands on this game, have been fed all the information BRB thought worth sharing, and have almost all unanimously agreed that, regardless of their opinion on it, this is a run-of-the-mill cash-in. They're not hiding a masterpiece behind closed doors. This is all we're gonna get.

Ocarina of Time had grass! Super Mario 64 had jumping! Shadow of the Colossus had you press buttons and get a response! But that's not all they had, and that's where their relation to Boom ends. A game is the sum of its parts, and it's that sum that has people so disappointed over this game. 

Sorry if that's a bit jumbly, I'm really rather tired

• Thumbs Up 6

Dear God how much I want to believe this. I really want to believe they're just showing off all the wrong parts.

I can only hope that the actual game can be polished as quickly as the graphics have been.

I guess we'll find out closer to release... I'm hopeful that whatever's shown off at Comic Con will have made good use of the month between E3 and then to really improve the product.

Did... did you really just try to compare Sonic Boom to Metroid Prime? A cash-in licensed title to what might be one of the most acclaimed games of the past few generations, all on the flimsiest pretense of people being apprehensive about both?

Soma, you are AWARE that's it possible to compare situations REGARDLESS of the quality of the subject? I can compare Ken Pender's legal circumstances to Walt Disney's, I'm not necessarily saying Ken's word is equal to Walt's.

Also, Metroid Prime is a goddamn video game. Regardless of quality, that's not going to change, and it shouldn't be a touchy or no-go zone. He didn't compare having a splinter to fucking cancer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was a comparison of a different "critically acclaimed" company making their own take of a game (Team Ninja --> Other M) and it ending up being very disappointing compared to the main franchise (Retro - Prime).

wub.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Soma, you are AWARE that's it possible to compare situations REGARDLESS of the quality of the subject? I can compare Ken Pender's legal circumstances to Walt Disney's, I'm not necessarily saying Ken's word is equal to Walt's.

Also, Metroid Prime is a goddamn video game. Regardless of quality, that's not going to change, and it shouldn't be a touchy or no-go zone. He didn't compare having a splinter to fucking cancer.

The situation isn't comparable because Metroid Prime didn't actually look bad or get constant negative impressions before release. It was just because it was a new, risky take on Metroid by a studio nobody had heard of before. Nobody was sure what to think of it because of those factors.

Sonic Boom is not the same situation. People had hope for Sonic Boom until gameplay came out and it got consistently slammed by everyone who played it. Not to mention this new gameplay style isn't some grand risk like Metroid Prime. This is something we've seen a billion times before but with Sonic and friends thrown into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

@ Wraith - except that isn't the main comparison. The main comparison is the Japanese division being butthurt because western devs worked on their Franchise.

The bit (in really small, joky text) everyone's lashing out on is this:

And I really don't get what the big deal is, because it's really not that offensive.

Metroid Prime got the lot of flak it did prior to release because Nintendo tasked Retro Studios (an unproven American studio at the time)  to develop the game instead of doing it in-house, making the video game 3D leap with Metroid instead of another 2D title (understandable but controversial nonetheless, due to other franchises doing the same thing around that time only to hit the polygon ceiling), and -most notoriously- changing the gameplay from the traditional Metroidvania platformer approach of the first three games to a first-person shooter. Of course, when the game actually came out; it turned out to be incredible and many people hailed it for not only being a true Metroid game, but also one of the best games ever.

Suffice to say, I can't see BRB pulling a similar stunt with Sonic Boom. The only similarity Boom and Metriod Prime have in the controversy surrounding those games is that an unproven American studio are developing a new game for a Japanese-based series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to work for my money too but I'm not saying go buy Boom cause it's okay. I'm saying from a standpoint of just LOOKING at the game not buying why can't it be okay. I know full and well why you wouldn't buy an okay game, of course. But I'm talking about how people can't stop themselves from choosing extremes. It's either AWESOME or shit and that makes no sense to me. Now why you wouldn't spend money on these games completely understandable. That's why a Wii U and Lost World didn't get my purchase because I think they're only "okay". But from a viewpoint of actually judging the products not buying them, I don't say "man.. Sonic Lost world is shit. This is up there with Sonic 06!" Because that's just silly and pretty illogical if you ask me.

But yes I work too. I'm gonna spend money on this granted I can. And I understand why you wouldn't want to spend your money on it. BUT calling it out for being worse than it is, solely because its not amazing is bad practice.

EDIT: Cleaned up the post some, wrote it in the morning. And hopefully it's not taken the wrong way, I was kind of agitated from stuff in real life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

*long post*

With all due respect Light, I think you might have misunderstood my post. I never stated that Iizuka was actually making faces in regard to the game, but as a 'what if'. Neither did I bring up pride in Sonic Team or Big Red Button's own respective works.

As for the game being different, I am 100% okay with a game being different. That's why I was excited for Lost World, because it was different. But it turned out to be disappointing not because it was different, but because of filler stages and questionable controls. Lost World wasn't a bad game, it was good, but it had it's share of flaws. Boom could be the same, it could be pretty good, and I'm hoping that it will be. But aside from the underwater level, everything else looked bland and somewhat boring to me, and that's not because it's different.