Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Ah here we go, the justification of him trying to validate his work and somehow excuse the game inspiration I guess, despite the fact it's a comic series that's dead and buried and was only widely available in one country.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm quite confident Penders is just looking for a large company to offer him some "go away" money rather than waste everyone time in court. All that dude can do is cling to the most underhanded and sleazy tactics to try and stay relevant and squeeze another penny out of it.

I hope Paramount is aggressive in shooting him down. They will be very protective of their tentpole franchise.

• Thumbs Up 8

Because there are no issues lol.

Spoiler

So what if an Echidna had god like powers for a brief moment. We all know that unnamed Echidna is NEVER showing up again.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It's almost like the Nintendo comics caved in on themselves because Nintendo of America didn't market the fucking things and Valiant, then a relatively new publisher with very little interest in the properties anyway, had no way of reaching audiences the way Archie, a comic publisher known for family-friendly branding (including a Ninja Turtles comic at the height of Turtle Mania in the 90s), and extended reach beyond specialty stores, did. Hm, gee.

It's also not like Sonic was at the fever pitch of popularity in the 90s, and kids were snapping up anything that had Sonic's name on it, surely that couldn't have played a role, right?

• Thumbs Up 9

I love how he dances around the fact that he was using characters primarily from the games as a springboard for his stories too. Like, there literally would not even be a comic without the games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Penders can try to sue Paramount all he wants, but he will still lose the case because 1) Paramount is a very big movie company and they would likely have lawyers that are very experienced in what they do and 2) Since he had no involvement whatsoever in the movie, Paramount can just write off his claims since they already established a business deal with SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Penders can try to sue Paramount all he wants, but he will still lose the case because 1) Paramount is a very big movie company and they would likely have lawyers that are very experienced in what they do and 2) Since he had no involvement whatsoever in the movie, Paramount can just write off his claims since they already established a business deal with SEGA.

Not to mention, he is doing this for a very self-centered reason. Sure, those with self-centered reasons can and have won things before, but basically, the echidna thing is all he is suing them for. Nothing else. He's more so on thin ice, or ground not so strong for him. If that is all he has to sue them for, not to mention the potential counters to his reasonings and how unintelligent the idea of suing them over this is, then I would say this is a lost cause for Penders. He is almost suing them for nothing, and will likely get nothing.

• Thumbs Up 4

You cannot be serious with this shit. XD

I haven’t been into this whole Lara-Su Ken Penders fuckery since years ago (and I can’t believe it’s still going!!), but honest to God I want Paramount to kick Penders’ ass right out of court laughing all the way.

There’s no way in hell he’s gonna get far with this case, this isn’t like with Archie where, as others mentioned, they were unprepared and screwed up. This is Paramount, part of VIACOM! Hey, good luck Ken. I hope you lose. :]

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah, so Mr. Penders wishes to relive the "glory" of his alleged victory over Archie, does he?

I swear, he keeps treating that old trial like it was some amazing battle that he won with flying colors and some part of a huge war that he's been pulling through. When in reality. it was a wash on both sides that he didn't get as spanked in as he should've been.

• Thumbs Up 5

20 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

You cannot be serious with this shit. XD

I haven’t been into this whole Lara-Su Ken Penders fuckery since years ago (and I can’t believe it’s still going!!), but honest to God I want Paramount to kick Penders’ ass right out of court laughing all the way.

There’s no way in hell he’s gonna get far with this case, this isn’t like with Archie where, as others mentioned, they were unprepared and screwed up. This is Paramount, part of VIACOM! Hey, good luck Ken. I hope you lose. :]

I was going to mention the last thing you mentioned, but I forgot. Still you have a point. Not to mention, as someone said, he was not involved in the movie. Just because one wins a race of a certain species against someone like Archie, does not mean they own the right to have that species in fiction, and no one else does,. In fact, he did not create the echidna race, nor did he design them. They are of a creation of another company that is Sega. Penders was only lucky with his battle against Archie, and it wasn't as grand as he makes it out to be. Echindas are also a species that exist in real life that any one can use and that anyone can design in any way. They are not some altogether new and invented species, which can be owned by anyone if they are original and not in real life or used before, by the way. There is nothing that makes Penders special with the echidnas he owns. He is just stuck in his sad view of reality. That is it.

You can own echidna characters and probably echidna races like Ken does, but everyone should have the right to use echidnas as species. Others beside Sega have done anthropomorphic hedgehogs, so why leave out anthropomorphic echidnas?

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Ken Penders really working on anything?  Because if he's threatening to send in the lawyers, he must be earning some money to hire a lawyer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Doubt things will change when he sees the movie but so far this whole strop is because some fans told him the equivalent of 2+2=5

7 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Is Ken Penders really working on anything?  Because if he's threatening to send in the lawyers, he must be earning some money to hire a lawyer.

His wife is a lawyer too I believe so he can live comfortably making fan comics.

I don't think Penders is gonna Penders his way out of this one.

Imagine Paramount's lawyers end up noticing some of the shady shit Penders has been using "totally not Knuckles" for and decide to countersue. I think Mr. Kenders has royally fucked up if that would be the case.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I'm quite confident Penders is just looking for a large company to offer him some "go away" money rather than waste everyone time in court.

I would so hope they don't bite, and go forward with full annihilation to such a degree that he feels physically ill at just thinking of anything related to Sonic ever again.

Sure, that may cost us the ability to finally mock The Lara-Su Chronicles in its full, completed glory, but honestly... was that ever really going to happen, anyway? Is that really such a loss in the greater scheme of things?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 2

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I don't think Penders is gonna Penders his way out of this one.

Imagine Paramount's lawyers end up noticing some of the shady shit Penders has been using "totally not Knuckles" for and decide to countersue. I think Mr. Kenders has royally fucked up if that would be the case.

Can Paramount countersue Penders for what he's been doing, even if they haven't heard of Penders until possibly this moment?

I really doubt, if it even gets as far as a trial, that Paramount will care to do anything with Penders re countersuing. That was Archie’s mistake; I don’t think a company the size of Paramount/Viacom will care. As far as they’d be concerned, they work with SEGA which has given them a license to work on Sonic/Knuckles/franchise. And that’s it. Penders would just be noise to them.

I imagine all Paramount’s legal team would need to do is ask Penders to prove that he owns the concept of Knuckles having a father somehow, and call it a day. Let the silence speak for itself.

But then I’m not a lawyer and apparently I don’t understand the issues so who knows if I’m just talking bollocks or not 😛

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Can Paramount countersue Penders for what he's been doing, even if they haven't heard of Penders until possibly this moment?

I'm certainly not a legal expert, but I imagine so - if Penders is making usage of the Sonic cast and using Sonic terminology/world/whatever in for-profit work, I would imagine Paramount and SEGA could countersue for the unlicensed use + the effect it has on their franchises (because TL-SC isn't endorsed by them, and Penders insists on using expies, and intends to reprint material that is literally Sonic). Just because they aren't aware of Penders now doesn't mean they can't do anything when they are aware of him.

If it'll happen is a different matter. I mean, let's be totally honest here - for now, all of Penders' threats to sue Paramount is nothing but idle threats until he goes through with it, and him actually going through with it is a different matter altogether. I don't even know if they'd bother countersuing, but I could see Penders receiving cease and desists for his unlicensed usage of Sonic characters in for-profit work.

I'm gonna be honest, when I made that post yesterday I really wasn't expecting him to immediately say "no bitch I AM gonna sue over these connections I just made up".

That said...I still don't buy it. This is attention-seeking, as usual. People are pointing out extremely obvious holes in the basic idea of a case and he's having a mental breakdown. Not only is he not going to be able to do anything, I doubt he's going to even try.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I don't really remember the details, but my understanding is Archie was obligated to step in and countersue because issues with them (the contracts that would have disputed his copyrights if they could have been produced) were at the core of the original case (the Sega/EA case over Sonic Chronicles). I don't think Paramount has to do anything because it probably won't go to court and this honestly looks more like he's taking advantage of the movie buzz to put a spotlight on himself. He did the exact same thing having those clowns announce their shitty Scourge comic the exact same week "Impostor Syndrome" from IDW came out. Even if he does try, it's not going to be easy. I don't think even legitimate creators' rights issues make dents that often.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I don't really remember the details, but my understanding is Archie was obligated to step in and countersue because issues with them (the contracts that would have disputed his copyrights if they could have been produced) were at the core of the original case (the Sega/EA case over Sonic Chronicles). I don't think Paramount has to do anything because it probably won't go to court and this honestly looks more like he's taking advantage of the movie buzz to put a spotlight on himself. He did the exact same thing having those clowns announce their shitty Scourge comic the exact same week "Impostor Syndrome" from IDW came out. Even if he does try, it's not going to be easy. I don't think even legitimate creators' rights issues make dents that often.

Wait, he had them do that?

And for all his chest puffing, he'd probably come off way better if he just said he originated the concepts he's talking about and left it at that, rather than make it look like he's ready to lawyer up.

6 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Wait, he had them do that?

Well, I say that but rereading it's poor wording on my part.

I don't know if he did, but I think that that comic was announced the same week was too much of a coincidence, though for all I know that was something Rush coordinated and didn't really have input from him directly.

9 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Can’t see that happening as they would need to find documentation that his characters ownership was to Sega and not him

Oh I know it's not likely but a boy can dream. 

It's almost like the Nintendo comics caved in on themselves because Nintendo of America didn't market the fucking things and Valiant, then a relatively new publisher with very little interest in the properties anyway, had no way of reaching audiences the way Archie, a comic publisher known for family-friendly branding (including a Ninja Turtles comic at the height of Turtle Mania in the 90s), and extended reach beyond specialty stores, did. Hm, gee.

It should also be acknowledged that Sonic is was and always has been a legitimate Goddamn Juggernaut. Penders really thinks he had more of an influence on the franchise than he honestly did. 

• Thumbs Up 2