Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Speaking of Penders BS, here's a pretty funny satirical presentation on his writing. This stuff is so wild???

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what's funny about Penders? I never agreed with him, but I still remember times when I understood him and even sympathized with his views.

Year 2006. Penders leaves comic after 10+ of writing that he's proud of. Did Archie Sonic only survived thanks to him? Well, we can't really prove it didn't, not without time machine. And his "greatest" work was Knuckles comic, with all the echidnas and Locke that Penders killed in XYL story "Father's Day", a proper send off to his most beloved character.

Now Flynn comes in and what's his first move? To steal "Evil Sonic". Make a recolor and claim it as his own mary-sue do not steal. Yes it's silly NOW with everything Penders did with echidnas, but that was 2006. And what is first thing Scourge does? Beats up Locke. Ooof.

Next Flynn refuses to come with his own lore. Scourge and Shard aside, Flynn didn't created a single big character in Preboot, just few Grandmasters or secondary FF teams. We know that Flynn loves continuity and wanted to honor writers before him and generally universe was big enough already. But from Penders point of view, Flynn just doesn't have a single original idea in his head.

And then worst thing happens. Return of Enerjack. Flynn takes single echidna Penders didn't make to call everything Penders wrote stupid and burn it to the ground. Yeah, that could be seen as a personal insult.

Finally we come to single thing I agree with Penders that Flynn did wrong: Locke would NEVER try to kill Knuckles. Locke did horrible things to him, but always out of love, always trying to help, overprotective to the point he tried to murder a kid that bullied Knuckles. Conversation they had in 165 is absolutely out of character for Locke. Locke would not use Knuckles mother as leverage to against him.

And final nail in the coffin, Flynn kills Locke. In a nice-ish way, sure. But Locke already had a canonical death. One that Penders poured lots of heart into. And Flynn just said "Nah, none of that stuff is canon." So Flynn not only ruined Penders stuff going forward, but even retroactively burned his previous works.

None of what I wrote above changes the fact that Flynn is just a better writer. Or that cleaning up echidnas lore was necessary. Or that Locke was horrible character that should face with his own hypocrisy. Or that Scourge was ten times better than Evil Sonic ever was. But those are my subjective opinions. Ones that Penders doesn't agree with. So I could agree to disagree.

But these days Penders just lies, contradicts himself, steals, and all of that is totally objectively wrong. Or he claims Geoffrey slept with Sally which is... wrong on so many levels.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes. Because it's not like those games still do well enough for SEGA to treat it as a big franchise - and the movies on top of it bring people to the games in return? Did he just forget the part where Paramount handles the movies, and SEGA don't have a ton of involvement (At least to the degree where SEGA wasn't able to shoot down the original awful design of Movie Sonic despite their dislike of it?)

Edit:

Unless I'm mistaken - 1 - SEGA were actually doing a good job of competiting with Nintendo in the early 90s, and 2. Is Penders just trying to run with some nonsense narrative that SEGA should just pack it in? Lol

• Thumbs Up 3

He also claimed that the reason why the Nintendo comics had a short life span compared to the sonic comics was because  they stuck too closely to the games. And says that he’s not sorry for ignoring the sonic source material. 

Nah they died cause they straight up dogshit. 

• Thumbs Up 3

ignoring the fact that he's still spinning the "Nintendo vs SEGA!!!!" narrative in the year of our lord 2022, i'm not sure why he keeps treating the failure of the Valiant Nintendo comics like it's some huge war he won.

like, as if the Valiant comics were ever reaching for the same heights as he did. as if they literally don't look like this

image.png.0c76b1d91844046997afa26557299e44.png

image.png.0f9dd0fc55906f00bdbd210bcf3e8182.png

great job, ken, you overcame the odds and won out against the glorified newspaper comic strips. no one could've done that without your brilliant stories

• Thumbs Up 3

Ken doesn't realise how big Sonic was in the 90s because he wasn't exposed to it at all outside of his own writing. They didn't have video games in his house, that's why his son had to hold a TV remote sideways when pretending to play a video game in Sonic Live. This is the same guy who thinks that the first issue of Archie released alongside Sonic 1. He thinks the game and comic were developed together, which is why he still thinks his lore was canon to the game series. He's been told plenty of times that Sonic 3 was already in development when Archie started, but he refuses to accept new information.

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Ken doesn't realise how big Sonic was in the 90s because he wasn't exposed to it at all outside of his own writing. They didn't have video games in his house, that's why his son had to hold a TV remote sideways when pretending to play a video game in Sonic Live. This is the same guy who thinks that the first issue of Archie released alongside Sonic 1. He thinks the game and comic were developed together, which is why he still thinks his lore was canon to the game series. He's been told plenty of times that Sonic 3 was already in development when Archie started, but he refuses to accept new information.

That's such a shame...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Pretty much. Penders doesn't really see the Sonic franchise in terms of being a Video Game franchise that happens to have more spinoffs than normal- he's exclusively viewed the whole thing through the lens of a comic book franchise that he personally led through to glory, and either through genuine ignorance or truly stubborn willful ignorance has come to the conclusion that the Archie book is somehow the most popular and widely known Sonic product out there, and that HIS contributions are of genuine importance to SEGA. He's honestly convinced himself that sooner or later SEGA is gonna cave and try to work something out with him, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. 

Funny thing is, it wasn't always like this. Once upon a time he was able to frankly point out how the popularity of the Sonic games was what primarily fueled the popularity of the Archie book, even attributing its popularity to the fact that for a long stretch it was the 'only game in town'. At some point or the other though, Penders sorta changed his mind and decided that no, it was ALL him, and suddenly the games became only a minor part of the Sonic equation, with HIS work on Archie being the axis upon which the franchise revolved. 

A solid decade of being praised by ten year olds and basically ignoring all criticism did a real number on him. 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

Pretty much. Penders doesn't really see the Sonic franchise in terms of being a Video Game franchise that happens to have more spinoffs than normal- he's exclusively viewed the whole thing through the lens of a comic book franchise that he personally led through to glory, and either through genuine ignorance or truly stubborn willful ignorance has come to the conclusion that the Archie book is somehow the most popular and widely known Sonic product out there, and that HIS contributions are of genuine importance to SEGA. He's honestly convinced himself that sooner or later SEGA is gonna cave and try to work something out with him, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Yep. Despite the fact that even his best-selling book sold about 1/50th of what the worst-selling Sonic game did in North America alone...

1 minute ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Yep. Despite the fact that even his best-selling book sold about 1/50th of what the worst-selling Sonic game did in North America alone...

Something something SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS something something INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

This is the same guy who thinks that the first issue of Archie released alongside Sonic 1. He thinks the game and comic were developed together, which is why he still thinks his lore was canon to the game series. He's been told plenty of times that Sonic 3 was already in development when Archie started, but he refuses to accept new information.

Wait... this is new info to me.

When did this spew come dribbling forth out of his gob?

35 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Wait... this is new info to me.

When did this spew come dribbling forth out of his gob?

He's said it a few times, but it was one of the first things he said at this panel.

• Absolutely 2

On 4/11/2022 at 4:03 AM, Rabid-Coot said:

People have got to be messing with him now.

This dude is such a ghoul. It's almost stopped being funny at this point. 

1 hour ago, SkullPirateMike said:

He's said it a few times, but it was one of the first things he said at this panel.

Ah, thanks.

5 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Ken doesn't realise how big Sonic was in the 90s because he wasn't exposed to it at all outside of his own writing. They didn't have video games in his house, that's why his son had to hold a TV remote sideways when pretending to play a video game in Sonic Live.

This may or may not be true, but in an interview he said that they did have a Genesis, but that they were in the middle of moving, so they just used when they had available. This is backed up by the fact that his son was a fan of Sonic.

His logic is just ridiculous. He tried to sue SEGA and Bioware for having characters that resembles the Dark Legion, yet he goes doing that a lot with things like ripping off 2001 Space Oddessy down to the name and title. Let's not forget the stuff he derived from Star Trek, like the Anti-characters, and even Klingon ships that wasn't subtle about it. And oh look, Paramount owns Star Trek.

So, going by Ken's logic, wouldn't it be fair game for Paramount to sue him for all that stuff? (Yeah, I doubt they would, because then they probably would go after Archie.)

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh yeah, Ken's logic makes zero sense. On the one hand he says he owns Shade because she's somewhat similar to Julie-Su... on the other hand... he says he owns 'Green Knuckles'.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 4/13/2022 at 6:40 PM, D.K. said:

ignoring the fact that he's still spinning the "Nintendo vs SEGA!!!!" narrative in the year of our lord 2022, i'm not sure why he keeps treating the failure of the Valiant Nintendo comics like it's some huge war he won.

like, as if the Valiant comics were ever reaching for the same heights as he did. as if they literally don't look like this

image.png.0c76b1d91844046997afa26557299e44.png

image.png.0f9dd0fc55906f00bdbd210bcf3e8182.png

great job, ken, you overcame the odds and won out against the glorified newspaper comic strips. no one could've done that without your brilliant stories

I could be wrong but like...weren't these comics also not being made anymore at the time Archie Sonic started?

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I could be wrong but like...weren't these comics also not being made anymore at the time Archie Sonic started?

From what I could see the Valiant Nintendo books (pretty much all of them) ran from 1990-91, so well before even SatAM entered the picture, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yep, I remember letters in the later issues asking for stuff about "Super Mario Bros. 4" that never materialized because the game wasn't out yet.

Bud, they aren't feral animals with limited intelligence... Their society has very similar rules and laws to our own in the real world. I'm willing to bet that the reason why nobody was concerned about Geoffrey's interest in Sally at the same was because they didn't realize how much older Geoffrey was.

In fact, I'd wager that had Archie known about the age gap between the two, they probably would have told him to either age Geoffrey down, or veto the kiss and any and all implications that he had any kind of romantic interest in her be removed and forbid any future instances.

I think it's safe to say that while an age of consent was never outright established in the Archie Sonic Universe, it did quietly exist in the background. I mean, while Sonic may have it's grown up fans, it's still primarily geared towards children. It always has, and always will.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Kenneth. People aren't raising their eyebrows at them dating. It can be odd but yes, people can date people much older than them. It happens, you're right. If one's under aged compared to the other it can be questionable. Its a different era Ken, people judge differently now.

People are raising eyebrows at you saying he popped her cherry. Not described in your Archie stories? You should have written it in then. If you don't explain during the story, we'll take it at Earth value. Which it was pedo behaviour for St John. 

• Thumbs Up 3