Awoo.

Pokemon Origins (October 2013)

Endy

I believe that cause lets face it how many people actually read books let alone comic books/manga. People would rather watch something on tv before they would read a book

Given the size of comic book and manga culture, I don't think that has anything to do its current popularity in Japan.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the whole "serious, edgy Team Rocket" subplot in the Black/White abruptly canceled because Japanese audiences preferred the old, goofy trio? (I may be wrong about that, though)  I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that Japanese audiences are still very attached to the main series and its traditional tropes and functions.

If that's the reason Team Rocket went back to their shitastically comedic selves then that really sucks, it was one of the few things BW did well in terms of character development after they completely shat on Ash's.

Seriously, how could you not want a badass Team Rocket???

It got something of a reprise later on. 

If you mean with Episode N then yeah that's true. But with Delcora they're back to their old selves. I hope this is the case of TR having personality shifts depending on the situation.

Edited by Soniman

I'm so sad this is only a special. I'm really excited to watch it, though. It looks so awesome.

Given the size of comic book and manga culture, I don't think that has anything to do its current popularity in Japan.   If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the whole "serious, edgy Team Rocket" subplot in the Black/White abruptly canceled because Japanese audiences preferred the old, goofy trio? (I may be wrong about that, though)  I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that Japanese audiences are still very attached to the main series and its traditional tropes and functions.
Are you talking about the unaired episode which features team rocket vs team plasma and explains why the trio were demoted to white? I thought that was because of the earthquake that happened in Japan

Are you talking about the unaired episode which features team rocket vs team plasma and explains why the trio were demoted to white? I thought that was because of the earthquake that happened in Japan

But (again, correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think even that explains why they go from gritty villains to unfunny nutcases again. =v

Given the size of comic book and manga culture, I don't think that has anything to do its current popularity in Japan.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the whole "serious, edgy Team Rocket" subplot in the Black/White abruptly canceled because Japanese audiences preferred the old, goofy trio? (I may be wrong about that, though)  I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that Japanese audiences are still very attached to the main series and its traditional tropes and functions.

The English-speaking fanbase seems to prefer goofy Team Rocket, too. The consensus on Pokémon forums I lurk seems to be that Team Rocket lacked any form of real personality during early Unova, which is something I can agree with in retrospect. Team Rocket is easily my favourite part of the show.

I never understood the appeal for Team Rocket after they became ineffectual; their plans had gotten predictable and they had lost all sense of malice. I'm beginning to think people just felt so sorry for them that they rooted.

I guess I can agree with the personality thing, but I don't understand how having personality means they can't be freaking threatening.

I hated Team Rocket by the time DP rolled around where they lost any edge to them and they only spoke in alliterations/rhymes, which got really fucking annoying.

Did they lose a bit of personality in BW? Sure, but the trade off with being legit badass, not padding every single episode with an appearance, and not be godawfully annoying more than made up for it, imo.

Yeah, I guess I'll agree that they lost a bit of their personality when in the earlier B/W episodes, but honestly what little personality they had was super refreshing after god knows how many years of the same exact jokes repeated over and over again.  Also, they had some bearing on the plot for once, whereas they previously only appeared per standards and tradition.  I have a soft spot for the silly, goofy Team Rocket of the past, too, but in my opinion, they've really overstayed their welcome.

More Pokemon: The Origin updates!

1) Green's VA has been confirmed to be Eguchi Takuya, the VA who voiced Cheren in the anime. Brock's VA is Sugita Tomokazu, who has voiced Kyon in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue.

2) The soundtrack for the special will be composed by Kageyama Shouta, who is the sound director for the Pokemon XY OST. Some of the pieces of the soundtrack, as would be expected, are remixes of the songs from Pokemon Red and Green. Five of these songs will be included as bonus tracks on the official Pokemon XY OST release on iTunes, and their original 8-bit tunes will be included on the OST as well.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ooh, I'm especially interested to hear the Red/Green remixes.  Hopefully they're a lot better than the remixes from FireRed/LeafGreen.

• Thumbs Up 1

The special has a timeslot set up from 7:00 pm to 8:49 pm.

Allowing time for commercials, the special appears to be running for 90 minutes, give or take. So it's longer than the Legend of Raikou special arc, and about as long as a standard Pokemon movie.

With that kind of runtime, I can't help but be concerned for the pacing.  I wonder how much they plan to accomplish in one special?

intro to world

intro to characters

choose pokemon

random pokemon catch

Brock

an evolvution

TR conflict

Safari Zone

Giovanni

Battle Lance

Battle Rival ( cliff-hanger for result)

my guess though

Edited by Dreamy Luigi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049tntARnuM

-Professor Oak has an Eevee. Possibly to reference Pokemon Yellow.

-Red has a Nidoran male which he uses in Brock's gym.

-Oh hai there Giovanni. And random TR grunt. TR Grunts were not in Giovanni's Gym, so Red's either in the Team Rocket hideout or in Silph Co.

-RED TALKS.

-OH HAI MEWTWO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wonder how they're going to handle the Mewtwo encounter. Is Red gonna catch it? Defeat it? Cause the cave to collapse or something? Are we going to get build up to it?

Hype Switch: ON/OFF

Catching Mewtwo, though no longer a particularly amazing feat, was one of the highlights of probably every fan that started in Gen I.  I don't remember; was Mewtwo shown to be capable of speech in the games?  If not, I'm curious to see if they'll change that or just use his first movie personality.

Edited by Akito