Awoo.

Pokemon Origins (October 2013)

Endy

But one arguably should have ended years ago and is of very debatable quality and one (from the looks of it) is really, really awesome?

I really don't think you understand the power of Ash and Pikachu's brand identity and the amount of cash their faces roll in on a daily basis.

Tossing the Ash and Pikachu anime out of the picture would do a major blow to their budget - there's no logical reason for doing that.

• Thumbs Up 2

But one arguably should have ended years ago and is of very debatable quality and one (from the looks of it) is really, really awesome?

But both appeal to diffrent audiences, I'm not sure the child market would respond very well to Charmander getting its fucking face bitten off, lol.

So that's why I use the old saying "why not both".

Edited by Soniman

I really don't think you understand the power of Ash and Pikachu's brand identity and the amount of cash their faces roll in on a daily basis.

Tossing the Ash and Pikachu anime out of the picture would do a major blow to their budget - there's no logical reason for doing that.

Yeah if you think in terms of money and finances it makes sense to keep them.

But in terms of the actual quality of the anime....................it's debatable. 

But both appeal to diffrent audiences, I'm not sure the child market would respond very well to Charmander getting its fucking faced bitten off, lol.

Exactly how graphic was it? Was there blood and stuff or just bruise marks after the bite? Before I make a call I need more info. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

They have the ability to pick up the quality at any point in time, and some people seem excited for the new season.

Fixing and improving something is better than leaving it to stagnate while grabbing big bucks is better than killing an otherwise healthy cash cow.

But both appeal to diffrent audiences, I'm not sure the child market would respond very well to Charmander getting its fucking face bitten off, lol.

All Squirtle did was bite it's neck. You over-exaggerate greatly. It's a bit edgy but kids these days play stuff like Call of Duty and GTA so it's nothing new to them.

They have the ability to pick up the quality at any point in time, and some people seem excited for the new season.

Fixing and improving something is better than leaving it to stagnate while grabbing big bucks is better than killing an otherwise healthy cash cow.

I agree that they have the ability to pick up the quality whenever they want, so then I think that they better get on that before Origins makes them irrelevant in every way other then the cash cow factor. 

All Squirtle did was bite it's neck. You over-exaggerate greatly. It's a bit edgy but kids these days play stuff like Call of Duty and GTA so it's nothing new to them.

Well im not speaking of 13 year old brats, im mean like, pretty young age 7-10/11 kids who would probably want to watch the wacky adventures of Ash and Pikachu and not hear a Charmander scream out in pure agony, and really realistic Pokemon battles, which is obviously finds more appeal in the 13 an up and up crowd.

Edited by Soniman

Well im not speaking of 13 year old brats, im mean like, pretty young age 7-10/11 kids who would probably want to watch the wacky adventures of Ash and Pikachu and not hear a Charmander scream out in pure agony, and really realistic Pokemon battles, which is obviously finds more appeal in the 13 an up and up crowd.

Keep in mind that this is the same age group that loves the likes of Dragon Ball Z. 

Actually you'd be surprised how many 7-10/11 year old kids are playing CoD and GTA lol. I think they can handle a Pokemon biting another. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually you'd be surprised how many 7-10/11 year old kids are playing CoD and GTA lol. I think they can handle a Pokemon biting another. 

That's fine if you can handle it, but its quite obvious that Origins and the Anime are meant for a ceartian crowd, so I don't see how one directly affects the sucess of another.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's fine if you can handle it, but its quite obvious that Origins and the Anime are meant for a ceartian crowd, so I don't see how one directly affects the sucess of another.

I never said that they'd affect the success of each other. 

I'm just saying that Origins seems like it'll make old Ash and Pikachu irrelevant in terms of everything but the cash cow factor of that duo. 

I never said that they'd affect the success of each other. 

I'm just saying that Origins seems like it'll make old Ash and Pikachu irrelevant in terms of everything but the cash cow factor of that duo. 

It's not really irrelevant when they seem to be completley diffrent in terms of tone, plot structure (one is episodic while another is movie/ova style) and Pokemon/Human characterization in general...Then again im going off what little ive seen so ill wait for when I see the whole thing before I say anyhting else on the matter.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will be honest. I can tolerate a lot of violence but that scream. Man that scream was piercing.

tumblr_mu3tdqdskr1sz7xgpo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mu3tdqdskr1sz7xgpo2_400.jpg

Explaination to why Red choose Charmander over the others. Makes sense to me.

And yeah theirs a Sub somewhere, I don't don't know where through.

EDIT: AnimePlus I think, also Pokemon Origin, but not all of the episodes are loaded yet.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

>Oak doesn't ask if boy or girl

0/10 this is shit get your facts straight gamefreak

Back then, Oak didn't give even one flying fuck if you were a boy or a girl.

You were going to play as a boy and you were going to fucking love every second of it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well if it's any consolation, at least he acts like a pussy when it comes to the Pokemon Tower tongue.png

But anyway, this special is everything the normal anime fails to live up to. It truly does feel like it expertly gets-across the feel and aspects of Generation 1.

Pokemon have some level of animalistic-ness to them whilst obviously still being very sapient. Beats the cringe-factor of silly-sounding Poke-speak and actually conforms to the way many Pokemon utterances in the first games are rendered as animal-esque growls.

The animation is really cool. The palette's used in the scenery is much more muted than the main anime series, more rustic.

Music is really cool in how it has a very retro-esque taste to it.

Gary/Green is actually a arrogant, mocking jerkass instead of a meme-generating poor excuse for a jerkass.

Very cool how the special makes an honest-to-god effort to conform to game mechanics i.e No cheap-ass electric rat hitting ground types, Red can't catch Poke's belonging to other trainers, Charmander's scratch has minimal to no effect on Brock's Geodude, Double Kick hits them hard coming from Nidoran who actually act like Nidoran etc.

It adapted the plot point of the mother Marowak getting brutally murdered by the genuinely evil and scummy and non-joke Rockets to genuinely emotive and non-pretentious effect.

Just awesome.

• Thumbs Up 6

I saw how Red beat Brock with quick thinking and generally cunning...and I think back to when Ash faced Brock and he had to cheat by powering up his Pikachu artificially...and he still didn't win, but he got the badge anyway out of pity....

God damn.....

Like really I don't want to be one of those people who are constantly comparing it to the anime just to see how it measures up (because hey, I still enjoy it at least) but really....

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw how Red beat Brock with quick thinking and generally cunning...and I think back to when Ash faced Brock and he had to cheat by powering up his Pikachu artificially...and he still didn't win, but he got the badge anyway out of pity....

God damn.....

Ash gets a lot of his badges without actually winning fights in Kanto. Half of them actually come to think of it.

Brock gives it to him out of pity when sprinklers of all things were what ultimately resulted in Onix's defeat, Pikachu's already broken electric attack getting a boost from something completely unrelated to the battle.

Misty's sister's overrule her authority and give him the Cascade badge. Again, without fighting.

Sabrina's father gives Ash the Marsh badge after she and Kadabra become incapacitated in a rather silly way.

Erika gives him the Rainbow badge for rescuing her Gloom instead of going for a rematch elsewhere.

Yeah...normal series Indigo League was half-underwhelming when it came to gyms. And then there's the serious pacing issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ash gets a lot of his badges without actually winning fights in Kanto. Half of them actually come to think of it.

Brock gives it to him out of pity when sprinklers of all things were what ultimately resulted in Onix's defeat, Pikachu's already broken electric attack getting a boost from something completely unrelated to the battle.

Misty's sister's overrule her authority and give him the Cascade badge. Again, without fighting.

Sabrina's father gives Ash the Marsh badge after she and Kadabra become incapacitated in a rather silly way.

Erika gives him the Rainbow badge for rescuing her Gloom instead of going for a rematch elsewhere.

Yeah...normal series Indigo League was half-underwhelming when it came to gyms. And then there's the serious pacing issues.

Kanto never really had pacing issues in and of itself imo, I consider 10-15 episodes the limit in bad pacing when it comes to the waits between gyms. It does get worse in the next League though, jesus christ but hey at least in Johto he actually earns all the badges.

Edited by Soniman

Okay, so partway through the second episode.

Watching the flashback scene there... the tense music with the Rockets, then Momma Marowak comes in and tells her child to run as she'll hold them off.

Cubone legs it, then the music dies just as you hear her scream.

...I need a minute. That affected me more than I thought it would.

i want to hug that little baby cubone ;A;

• Thumbs Up 2