Awoo.

Pokemon Origins (October 2013)

Endy

Red? Blue/Green? Fuck YEAH!

Wait... WHERE'S MY LEAF

Edited by 少佐 Jin H. Kisaragi

As I said in the status updates, my only nitpick is the use of the FireRed/LeafGreen character designs as opposed to the Red/Blue/Yellow designs.  I just like the old designs better aesthetically, and I think it would fit more with the "origin" theme to have the original designs.

But that's just a very minor setback.  Otherwise, this is looking fantastic.  Can not wait!

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

Personally I'm hoping they'll use the Origin thing to get more people comfortable with later Gens too. I won't mind if they outright act like Gen1 is the beginning and end when it comes to this special, but I'd love it if they put in small references to other regions or hinted at the possibility of some Pokémon evolving further.

One of the things I love about Pokémon is when things become interconnected cohesively even if it's just by tiny threads, like Pokémon from all Gens alongside each other in the National Pokédex treating them equally, stuff like that, rather than "these first, then these next, then those, then those". 

If that makes any sense at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

If this is successful (based on what will be shown, which appears to be up to the battle with Brock) this can be turned into a mini-series of sorts. Like highlighting important battles and/or events up to the Pokemon League.

I can dream ;_;

• Thumbs Up 1

The humans look bad. Red doesn't look like Red. I mean, come on, they could've put a bit more effort for a one hour special in them.

r2IVTQH.png

compare that to FR Red:

FireRed_LeafGreen_Red.png

And since when is Oak such a fat load?

It's too bad the art can't be as nice as that BW2 video we had.

And going by his fight with Blue, he seems to be pretty much Ash with a different look.

And the fact that it's a one hour special and we've seen Red with Lance just means the story will be rushed.

I'll still watch it and hope I'm wrong, though.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

And since when is Oak such a fat load?

Well...

(spoiler'd cuz huge)

FireRed_LeafGreen_Professor_Oak.png

Oak does have a bit of a belly in his FireRed and Leafgreen art to Origins's art of him to me.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Well...

(spoiler'd cuz huge)

FireRed_LeafGreen_Professor_Oak.png

Oak does have a bit of a belly in his FireRed and Leafgreen art to Origins's art of him to me.

Huh. Well you got me there then.

The humans look bad. Red doesn't look like Red. I mean, come on, they could've put a bit more effort for a one hour special in them.

I wouldn't say they didn't put any effort into them, but I do agree they really could have benefitted from some additional time on shading and detailing.  As is, they look very choppy, but not enough to hinder my excitement.

....I was fine with the artsyle. Better than the current anime imo.:/ 

Anyway, I wonder how they will shoehorn put Pikachu in. Cause ya always gotta have Pikachu!

I personally find the design for the characters in this looking fine. In fact, imo a lot better than they looked untouched in the FR/LG style, because otherwise I would've just preferred the original RGBY designs for them all. XD

The animation's "choppiness" btw seems to be made up for by having fluid movement and high expressiveness in the frames, much like shows such as ATLA: Legend of Korra.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now, this could just be me over thinking things, but let's say this becomes successful, could we end up getting one of these specials for each Generation and/or an adaptation of the Adventures Manga?

I can see they making one for each gen, but something based on the manga? Nah.

From what I understand, Special isn't as popular in Japan as people think and the likelihood of it getting an anime spinoff is very, very slim.

I may even watch that. Fuck that retarded Ash crap! This already looks so much better!

*finds out it's a special*

Damn it.

Edited by ArtFenix

From what I understand, Special isn't as popular in Japan as people think and the likelihood of it getting an anime spinoff is very, very slim.

Well this is news to me... =(  You'd think the more interesting and fleshed out Pokemon Special would have more popularity than the tedious anime that's really ran its course. 

I really hope this special somehow manages to be successful enough to have a spinoff. I need a new Pokemon anime without Ash.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Definitely looking forward to this; count me in as one of the people who loved the Kanto and Johto chapters of both the anime and games but found myself losing interest afterward. This sort of thing could do a lot to rekindle interest, and it strikes me a lot like FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in retelling the story closer to source material, from what I can tell of it.

My main source of optimism though?

It isn't going to be dubbed by 4Kids. They could have mature themes/humor/etc. and not have it sugarcoated for western audiences. Or, failing that, there can be cut and uncut versions. Naturally I'm optimistic VIZ or the like gets ahold of it.

Definitely looking forward to this; count me in as one of the people who loved the Kanto and Johto chapters of both the anime and games but found myself losing interest afterward. This sort of thing could do a lot to rekindle interest, and it strikes me a lot like FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in retelling the story closer to source material, from what I can tell of it.

My main source of optimism though?

It isn't going to be dubbed by 4Kids. They could have mature themes/humor/etc. and not have it sugarcoated for western audiences. Or, failing that, there can be cut and uncut versions. Naturally I'm optimistic VIZ or the like gets ahold of it.

It will be the Pokémon Company who get a hold of this if it were ever to come here. And no 9/10 there will not be mature themes in the dub version

I was excited at first but then I saw the artstyle and I jumped out immediately. God.

I am not so sure of all of these "coming back to the roots" stuff lately. They shoukd focus on the present or they´ll fuck up. I personally watched a few episodes of Best Wishes and though it was good.

Edited by Ristar

Why is this just a special? There is so much potential for a full-fledged series that it's sad. Still looking forward to this though.

I was excited at first but then I saw the artstyle and I jumped out immediately. God.

I am not so sure of all of these "coming back to the roots" stuff lately. They shoukd focus on the present or they´ll fuck up. I personally watched a few episodes of Best Wishes and though it was good.

Nostalgia is the "in" thing at the moment, and in healthy doses it's not so bad.  But you're absolutely right that there needs to be some focus on the present.

I'm also liking the B/W series, even though there are some grating points (Pikachu having to relearn things all over again being one of them).  It's both a throwback to what Pokémon was originally all about as well as a good move forward.  At least, that's how I see it anyway.

I reeeeeeally don't like how the humans look. But other than that, it looks good enough, I guess. I'm a little disappointed it'll just be a special, but at the same time I...don't think it's THAT much of a loss.

/unpopular opinion probably

Damn, that animation looks amazing! It's a shame that it's a special and not a regular series since I'd like to see something fresh come out of the Pokemon anime, but it clearly has a lot of potential so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

VA confirmation!

Red will be voiced by Junko Takeuchi, the voice behind Naruto.

Professor Oak, who is voiced by Unshou Ishizuka in the anime, will be voiced by Katsuji Mori of Gatchaman and Legends of the Galactic Heroes fame.

Edited by Joshua

I believe that cause lets face it how many people actually read books let alone comic books/manga. People would rather watch something on tv before they would read a book

VA confirmation!

Red will be voiced by Junko Takeuchi, the voice behind Naruto.

I'm gonna be a pokemon master! BELIEVE IT!!!!
  • Thumbs Up 2