Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

So much for Kinect being integral to the system ;)

Anyway I can't really see this making much difference, it's still the same price as a PS4 but technically inferior. 

Closer than ever to being simply a worse PS4. Didn't expect this so soon but understandable given the beating they've been taking.

Anyways, just chiming in to extend my condolences to all early adopters for having to put up with Kinect, now rendered superfluous. If you're not a fan of the thing sell it before these news spread because the trade in value is going to take an extreme nosedive.

They're probably losing a lot already. An extra $30 cut could ensure the Xbox division does not see any profits for the rest of the generation, depending on how things go.

It's only a worse PS4 by a hardware standpoint. Game wise, it's not really lacking TBH. Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive being the two biggest ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

They're probably losing a lot already. An extra $30 cut could ensure the Xbox division does not see any profits for the rest of the generation, depending on how things go.

I dunno, Kinect was the main thing keeping the price so high, and it's gone now. I think the price has more to do with their ego than the actual value of the system, bc now it's practically just a less powerful PS4 with Titanfall.

It's only a worse PS4 by a hardware standpoint. Game wise, it's not really lacking TBH. Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive being the two biggest ones.

Well, obviously I'm talking strictly hardware here. Each first party offers a different array of exclusives.

Still, that hardware is directly involved with the software performance. The exclusives on the 'bone have to be enough to compensate not just for Sony's first party stuff, but also for the better multiplats on the other side, else a potential buyer will be better off with the competition.

I dunno, Kinect was the main thing keeping the price so high, and it's gone now. I think the price has more to do with their ego than the actual value of the system, bc now it's practically just a less powerful PS4 with Titanfall.

Nah, there's hardware components that make the system less cost efficient to make on the console itself. Not to mention the amount of planning, marketing, compensations, etc. that these kind of desperate moves require. Doing so many 180s from the original plan comes at a price.

Consider they're also making drastic changes to the services side (basically, turning XBL into PS+). That'll cut on expected revenues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how they made their Games for Gold service worse than the original one by making it like PS+. You can no longer keep the game if you don't pay for Gold.

Expected. Good.

The Xbox One is actually more expensive to manufacture.

They didn't cut the price lower because they couldn't.

In before Sony cut the price of the PS4.

Wait, where did it say that you have to have to subbed to gold to keep the free games? That sucks. :(

Good, but too little too late IMO if they think this is going to help them overtake PS4 in sales.

Their May NPD will be killed by this announcement as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Microsoft has made 2 180's now with the Xbox One. The DRM and mandatory Kinect.

This makes the Xbox One, the Xbox 360..........huh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good, but too little too late IMO if they think this is going to help them overtake PS4 in sales.

Their May NPD will be killed by this announcement as well.

They've lost worldwide by now.

This is a move to not lose too hard in the USA. We'll see how effective it is tho, because by the time it catches up (if ever) Sony can simply drop and/or bundle a game and then they're behind again.

Who knows tho.

Microsoft has made 2 180's now with the Xbox One. The DRM and mandatory Kinect.

This makes the Xbox One, the Xbox 360..........huh.

2? Indies policy, paywall, required kinect, region locking...

More like Xbox Spinner at this point.

I remember saying that Microsoft should release a Kinect-less Xbox a while back. ...And it happened.

MAGIC CRYSTAL BALL

edit: xbox one can catch up to PS4. remember that one guy.. ps3

I'm still not sold. Maybe E3 will convince me to go back to Microsoft, but somehow even with Sunset Overdrive, I doubt it. I can't buy a console I don't want just for one game that I want. I learned that the hard way with the Wii U, though I do want the console now.

We'll see, Sony will probably drop the price of the PS4 as well.

How long did this take? 6 months? 7?

This is bound to cost Microsoft a lot of money. Developers obviously now have more of an excuse not to incorporate the Kinect if its not mandatory, so all that money which has been pumped into development is now going to yield even less return.

Decent games on the Gold for June, at least.

Playstation 3 had Europe and Asia, actual system selling exclusives and was a Playstation.

Xbox One so far doesn't even have the homeland supremacy that turned the 360 into a viable option, let alone any of the above.

Can it happen? Yes. And I could also win the lottery. Both outcomes are unlikely at best.

We'll see, Sony will probably drop the price of the PS4 as well.

That this happened so early is indicative of how behind the bone is. And now they've handed May to Sony.

In an unrealistic worst case scenario (PS4 sells exactly 0 units and Xbone 2 million per month starting June), it'd still take until September for the numbers to become heavily skewed towards MS for Sony to start worrying.

So I wouldn't really count on PS4 pricedrops until the holidays.

, actual system selling exclusives

Woah woah what? The Xbox 360 had many exclusives that people specifically bought the console for and they also managed to court publishers to release DLC exclusively to their platform.

A Kinect-less Xbox One? After all the fuss about how integral it was to the system and how it would be so much better this time around? I know Microsoft's done a lot of u-turns regarding the Xbox One, but this is a pretty big one and makes their initial marketing seem all the more ridiculous.

Still, the news has spawned this video, which is hauntingly beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6PDHw5O-M

I suppose you could say the peripheral has been... dis-Kinect-ed.

(I'll get my coat)

• Thumbs Up 5

Woah woah what? The Xbox 360 had many exclusives that people specifically bought the console for and they also managed to court publishers to release DLC exclusively to their platform.

Xbox One so far

Kinectless SKU Announced for $399

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Fucking sweet. Hopefully it won't get it's price jacked up by 50 bucks like the PS4 did in Canada. Actually, if they didn't do price-hiking that would make it the cheaper option and give it an edge price-wise......

But yay I might be able to afford playing Sunset Overdrive and Killer Instinct now!

I like the implications this news entails, though. Apart from the parity in hardware power, the Xbox One and PS4 are functionally nearly identical. The true defining factors now are the extra services they're able to provide (like Xbox's NFL stuff and Playstation Now) and the exclusive games they each offer. 

Great. When something is good about the competitor, the other will incorporate it into their own system. Some may mock it as copy-catting, but when it means that the system will be better for it, I'm not inclined to care who did what first.

I remember saying that Microsoft should release a Kinect-less Xbox a while back. ...And it happened.

MAGIC CRYSTAL BALL

PS3 caught up to the 360 worldwide, and that's an extremely important detail to note. It never even came close to catching up in the US, which is Microsoft's prime market. If the Xbox One doesn't close the gap and overshoot the PS4 here by an enormous margin, then it won't ever have a chance at being roughly equal worldwide.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh! So the Xbone can work just fine without a Kinect huh? =3 Well well well...

All I can say is I'm very pleased that there will be a Kinectless Xbone, finally. However this means a waste of money on that "mandatory" Kinect thing and whether this means the console will sell better.

...And now it looks like I will complete my next gen console experience with addition of an Xbone later this year. :P

This definitely makes it more affordable. I don't have the space in my flat to use Kinect properly, so it would have just collected dust, just like my Xbox 360's Kinect. Hopefully I'll be able to afford it later in the year when more games are out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Amazon lower the price further by £20-£30 I might bite. They probably will anyway, so it's a consideration. Sunset Overdrive just looks HNNNNNNGGG.

Now I wonder, will early adopters of the Xbox One end up getting rewarded for their purchase?

I'm going to assume Microsoft has no plans to do so.

Now I wonder, will early adopters of the Xbox One end up getting rewarded for their purchase?

I'm going to assume Microsoft has no plans to do so.

Of course they won't. Nor should they.