Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

Even the PS4 isn't selling the number of units in Japan compared to the rest of the world, so expect the Xbone to sell even less so.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even the PS4 isn't selling the number of units in Japan compared to the rest of the world, so expect the Xbone to sell even less so.

Exactly. Took the words right from my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess they might as well cater to the American immigrants living there. I doubt they're allocating much stock to Japan at all.

Now, the question to ask here is: considering that the Xbox brand has generally never been all that successful there, outside of the obvious minority, will Japan even care for this console by then?

Not really since the first two Xboxes didn't do well and would be deep in their minds. The original Microsoft were struggling to get the Japanese developers on board due to lack of knowledge regarding its culture however managed to get Sega especially from Smilebit and Tecmo really well with partial support from Capcom, Konami and Koei. It did manage to get some Japanese exclusives such as Metal Wolf Chaos, an SMT game and something called NUDE that involved female robots or something. The 360 did better due to having some exclusive RPGs very early on, Idolmaster and support from Cave/other shmup developers however the latter seems to be struggling now however people were more familiar to Sony/Nintendo consoles. So far looking into the Xbox One library, there does seem only Crimson Dragon [which itself is like Panzer Dragoon and that the original had Panzer Dragoon Orta] and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes that people have already bought on the PS3 or if they have one a PS4 so not much of interest. No exclusive RPGs to my knowledge, no fighting games to their tastes [well there's Killer Instinct but they might shun that game], no shoot em ups, not even Kantai Collection or Puzzle and Dragons so basically mostly a console with Western developed games.

Plus with Japanese pride favouring the PlayStation and Nintendo consoles as well as handhelds and mobiles taking off, I don't think it would do very well at all. Definitely worser than the 360, might be on par with the original or worse. Another factor is the delay being 10 months behind the US/UK/selected EU countries and that the PS4 came out in February that is considered a more powerful console meaning if someone had interest, it might have disappeared.

To be honest, Microsoft shouldn't have bothered with Japan.

Is there ANY exclusive game that is going to cater the Japanese? No? Then XONE will perform worse than the 360.

Absolutely NO reason for the Japanese to care about this console except for "I got all the next gen consoles and you don't!" and a small number of Xbox fans.

You treat Japan like a third world country, they will return the favor.

There is allegedly a big exclusive from a big time Japanese studio being kept under wraps right now. But other than that, no there isn't. I'd wager the only consoles with Japanese centric exclusives are the 3DS and the Wii U though, honestly. The PS4 is pretty much a wasteland there too.

Unless of course they bring things like IDOLM@STER back to the bone, then perhaps they can maintain their hardcore otaku appeal they started winning later in the x360s lifetime.

There is allegedly a big exclusive from a big time Japanese studio being kept under wraps right now. But other than that, no there isn't. I'd wager the only consoles with Japanese centric exclusives are the 3DS and the Wii U though, honestly. The PS4 is pretty much a wasteland there too.

Unless of course they bring things like IDOLM@STER back to the bone, then perhaps they can maintain their hardcore otaku appeal they started winning later in the x360s lifetime.

I'm not sure how much of an effort they'll really make for Japan this time, though. At least in comparison to the early 360 days. With the current market landscape I'd more so expect them to allocate as much of their resources as possible towards pulling ahead in the West. Japan's probably the lowest it's ever been on the priority list.

Here's some details about the Xbox One version of Kingdom Hearts 3.

www.examiner.com/article/official-kingdom-hearts-3-details-posted-for-xbox-one-version

We all know the PS4 version will either be the same or better in terms of how well it runs and most of KH's audience is on PS, so I don't expect the XB1 version to sell nearly as much. 

The Xbox 360 should've got KH 1.5 and 2.5 Remix as well to be honest. I've not seen anyone who's said "I need to buy an Xbox One for KH3" yet.

I'm expecting some exclusive content for the PS4 version simply because the franchise was born on PlayStation.

Still doesn't make sense to me to release Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Xbone. Hardly anyone is going to buy it on that console because most if not all Xbox owners don't care about the franchise. Besides, if they want it on the Xbone why not also release KH 1.5 and 2.5 on the 360?

• Thumbs Up 1

Still doesn't make sense to me to release Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Xbone. Hardly anyone is going to buy it on that console because most if not all Xbox owners don't care about the franchise. Besides, if they want it on the Xbone why not also release KH 1.5 and 2.5 on the 360?

this is what they said about FFXIII, and that did pretty well.

It's not like no one that had a PS2 went on to buy a 360, or potentially a bone. 

Or the Wii-u, the nintendo fanbase has a goodsized fanbase for disney as well, enought to get handheld exclusives in the past even if we havent gotten a main game

• Thumbs Up 1

this is what they said about FFXIII, and that did pretty well.

It's not like no one that had a PS2 went on to buy a 360, or potentially a bone.

True, but remember that most people at the time (including myself) owned an Xbox360, with the PS3 making a comeback and selling better than ever. And FFXIII is a standalone title like most of the FF games, there is no continuous story like Kingdom Hearts.

See, if an Xbone owner wants to even get into the plot of KH3, they have to first own a PS2/PS3, DS, PSP AND a 3DS to understand everything! It's not like you can jump right into it a la any FF game ever. So yeah, I dunno if it's going to sell well. FFXV on Xbone? Yes. KH3 on Xbone? Meh, probably not.

I would be surprised if XV and KH3 actually do as well as XIII 360 simply on the basis that the XB1 isn't as popular as its predecessor was in the west. That said, even with the smaller install base, the port job will probably be easy and cheap enough for it to be worth it.

I would be surprised if XV and KH3 actually do as well as XIII 360 simply on the basis that the XB1 isn't as popular as its predecessor was in the west. That said, even with the smaller install base, the port job will probably be easy and cheap enough for it to be worth it.

Very good point. It is better for them to just make a quick and cheap port to the Xbox One considering its architecture is identical to the PS4's instead of most likely making a whole new version for Wii U. That's just business I guess, the profit game.

See, if an Xbone owner wants to even get into the plot of KH3, they have to first own a PS2/PS3, DS, PSP AND a 3DS to understand everything! It's not like you can jump right into it a la any FF game ever. So yeah, I dunno if it's going to sell well. FFXV on Xbone? Yes. KH3 on Xbone? Meh, probably not.
Well actually an XONE owner just need a PS3 and a 3DS now to catch up with the plot before the release of KH3. But I get your point.

• 2 weeks later...

Searched and couldn't find a sunset Overdrive thread (Though, I thought we had one..), but there are some scans to Edge's preview:

Summary:

Here’s a summary for your perusal:

• According to Insomniac they’ve finally begun to understand what they love the most, and that reflects in the tone of the game.
  • Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting, and places equal weight on both skills
  • Insomniac has never made guns this powerful. You can take out five enemies with one shot.
  • The guns in the game play completely different from each other.
  • You’ll have to accumulate “style” before you fight some of the harder bosses. Some bosses won’t even notice you’re shooting at them if you’re at style level one or two.
  • Players are rewarded for playing fast and hard and not stopping. If you stop your style meter drops: “getting in there, mixing it up and mantaining that velocity is your aim.”
  • The island’s boss is a Fizzco balloon named Fizzle. The fight is “On rails,” but not in the way we usually think. The rails are coils wrapped around the tower you can grind on. Fizzle’s weak spots are spring-loaded drums above the city’s rooftops, and you’ll have to leap back and forth between them and the rails while avoiding fire and without ever stopping.
  • The player can ride the city’s telephone cables from above or below, changing with a tap of X to avoid low bridges or enemy fire.
  • Little Tokyo’s Japanese-inspired architecture involves lots of short wall runs and oddly angled buildings.
  • The world transforms at night, and so does the way the game plays. Sunset Overdrive promises to offer new ways to to deal with the night both alone and with friends.
  • In the last generation players have been trained to seek cover and wait combat out. Sunset Overdrive asks players “to think differently, use a different toolset and push forward.” Players are rewarded for jumping over the cover and take the initiative.
  • Attack is the new defense and wall running is the new cover.
  • Insomniac wants to create a different experience from the usual shooter that plays like Call of Duty.
  • Microsoft told Insomniac “We want Insomniac to be Insomniac” and allowed the developer to own the intellectual property, which is very important for the developer.
  • Insomniac wants to bring elements from games like Jet Set Radio and Tony Hawk to a more modern experience, adding depth, story and a campaign with a lot of unique ideas.
  • They’re trying to make a really great arcade game that is really fun to play regardless of how long you play.
  • For Insomniac the next generation is about “pop.” They want to see more “popping off the screen:” more colors, more effects, more things to see in the city.
  • Xbox One owners will be involved with the decisions that will shape the game post-release.
  • While you play you’ll see big screens broadcasting “Sunset TV,” an in-game TV channel discussing the current and future state of the game and offering players a way to vote on how it’ll change and evolve.
  • Insomniac feels that the first year or two of a new generation are when most risks are taken.
  • The developer is looking at Sunset Overdrive as the first of a series and want to build it into something bigger, “a real franchise.”
  • Everything was born from a lunch conversation a few years ago. It was never meant to be a real game at that time, but in the end they made it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/08/xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive-gets-tons-of-new-info-on-gameplay-design-franchise-plans-and-more/

Pics:

B6PH7fGh.jpg

wxnIJS3h.jpg

http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/sunset-overdrive-edge-magazine-leaked-2071822/#post30755630

Looks and sounds great. I'm waiting for an XBO Slim, but this'll definitely be bought then.

Shit, I might need an Xbone now. That sounds really cool. 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/05/08/see-sunset-overdrive-39-s-frenzied-gameplay-in-action.aspx?utm_content=buffer95e9f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It looks okay. The animation and fluidity of motion looks remniscent of Ratchet & Clank and even a bit like inFamous, but I don't think it's a particularly good fit for this type of game. I don't know if it's the physics or controls themselves, or just the animations, but something about it looks too clunky to really sell me for a genre that's supposed to be extremely fluid and free-flowing.

Maybe I just had the wrong expectations. I was hoping for something akin to Jet Set Radio, but it reminds me more of a mix of inFamous and Dead Rising.

Edit - I'll watch it again when I get home. Maybe watching on my phone didn't set a good impression.

The game is essentially a mix between Sucker Punch's inFAMOUS, Insomniac's own Ratchet series, Sega's Jet Set Radio and Capcom's Dead Rising. You can essentially, run, jump, bounce, slide and grind on anything in the open world with no real limitations.

Your player character is seen numerous times grinding, wall running, bouncing on cars and zipping from rails to telephone poles to get around the map while firing at and smacking around the OD (the game's mutated enemies) with your melee weapon. The melee weapon in this footage happened to be a baseball bat but articles on the game mention swords and such as well.

The weapons all have that sort of zany Do It Yourself feel to them. One weapon in particular, which the news articles call the Roman Candle, shoots fireworks wildly at a fast pace. Another weapon actually produces a fountain of the energy drink that the OD are addicted to so you can wail on them while they're distracted.

As you go through the game you unlock things called "Amps" which are essentially new skills that change the way your character and weapons work. I noticed three different Amps shown in the gameplay footage. The first is some sort of upgrade to your bounce move that makes it double as an attack by tossing out fireballs each time you bounce on an object.

The second is a damaging energy field that activates each time you dodge roll. The final is called the "Twist of Fate" Amp which, when applied to something like a machine gun, makes one shot every once in a while cause a mini nuclear blast (with a wild, cartoony skull cloud to boot). The whole game is incredibly bright, colorful, stylized and interesting to look at it.

Other noteable things are the goofy respawn animation where the player character imitates a mummy after rising from the concrete in a coffin and walking out. There are also bits and piece of a crazy boss battle (?) against the giant mechanical energy drink mascot Fizzie which involved lots of bouncing on platforms and zipping around to avoid.. eye lasers. Yes. Eye lasers.

The game doesn't really seem to take itself seriously in the slightest and it's amazing. The game looks like a fucking blast to play. It's Insomniac in its purest form.